Excel 2002 crashing during "Save As" action.

I am having a problem when using "Save As" on a particular workbook I have
developed.  The workbook contains three separate sheets each containing a
number of macros.  Each time I "save as" I get the standard "Microsoft Excel
has encountered a problem message".  Interestingly I do not have a problem
when I perform a standard "save" on the workbook, only when I try and change
it's name using "save as".  One way I have found to work around this is to
select the "Manual" option for Calculations on the Tools/Options menu.
Leading me to believe that some kind of forced calculation on the workbook
before the save event is causing a problem.  Can anybody shed any light on
this and suggest a possible solution.

Many thanks as always.

Andy T
0
AndyT (25)

Sometimes, workbooks get corrupted.

You might be able to recover it by using another program--maybe xl2003 or
OpenOffice could open it and clean some of the problems when you save it.

(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services.  I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

--

Dave Peterson
0

Re: No "Save As" options in Word 2000
It's been a long time, but I would like to re-open this (now expired) thread (see below) because the problem persists. IIRC the advice at the time was to repair the Office installation, which I did, but the repair didn't help. Any more ideas? Actually, what I would really like to do on this Windows 2000 machine (which I don't use on a regular basis, hence the delay in picking this thread up again), is to install Office 2003 (I actually bought an Office 2003 CD for this purpose), but the machine refuses to install it. Perhaps I should start a new thread for this...

Trouble with Save as Webpage
I am making a webpage from an XLS file. Somehow the process picks up a text box that I deleted days ago - I cannot find it on the worksheet but it's on the webpage Is there a VBA procedure to do a total cleanup? Many thanks -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email Try this If you want to delete all objects/controls on a worksheet you can do it manual like this: 1. Press F5 2. Click on Special 3. Choose Objects 4. OK 5. Press the Delete button -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH...

How to save as MHTML
There is a very great function in IE Browser that save the entire webpage includeing all elements to a single mht file, and this file can be browsed again even it is offline. I want to know how to do this in the code? Thank you very much! http://www.codeguru.com/ieprogram/SaveWholePage.html Saving a Web Page Into A Single File "ZhangZQ" <zhangzq71@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eF1qzzNpDHA.2232@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > There is a very great function in IE Browser that save the entire webpage > includeing all elements to a single mht file, and this file can be ...

Save as picture #2
Using P2003, I have 3 elements (2 text boxes and 1 graphic) on a page that I grouped and wanted to save as one JPG. However, when I look at the finished JPG, the graphic is not part of the JPG. Why not? you may have missed it when grouping make sure you select all three and try it again "ladyt" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message news:%23JKlJWLjHHA.1624@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... | Using P2003, I have 3 elements (2 text boxes and 1 graphic) on a page | that I grouped and wanted to save as one JPG. However, when I look at | the finished JPG, the graphic is not part of the...

Print quote + export to word + save as + create note w/attach
Hi all, I would like to know if anybody has already done something similar, even using some (cheap) commercial program. The main goal is to add a button on the quote form (as explained previously in this group) that should: - invoke Crystal Report in a "silent mode" passing some parameters (quote ID, folder name to say where to put the exported report, etc.) and telling CR to export the report in Ms Word format to the folder specified; - create a note with the Word file attached. I am sure the last step is very easy, but I cannot figure out about the first one. I think that edi...

Excel Save As Options
I am using XP Pro SP3 and Office 2007 Enterprise. I am using a third party retailing WWW page development tool to update a database of various item information on a WWW page. My boss is a reseller (at a lower price than the manufacturer of course). The update takes place via an import function built into their tool and the import function will take as input a flat file and you can specify if the field separator is a tab or some other character. I can't change this part. I am encouraged to use the tools that are available since I do not have direct access to the DB (and probably don...

How do I print save as files?
Someone sent me an excel spreadsheet. I made some corrections and saved it in the save as option. Now its in OLKD and I can not print it or send it back to the customer with the corrections because it can not open. I am totally new at this.Please can someone help me open it for review and to print and maybe move it? Thanks in Advance.Molly You didn't do a Save As and change the directory. It was a temp directory and may or may not be available. If there's any hope, this is it: http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How...

"Save As"
does anyone know of a utility which prompts you to Save an email as a .txt file when you send an email. ...

Macro: Setting a dynamic range for Save as Web Page
Excel 2000. After creating a new worksheet with a macro, I want to save the contents as an HTML page. I'm new to VB, so I've been using the macro recorder, then tweaking the output. Here's the problem. I'm trying to save just a range of cells, from A1 to the xlCellTypeLastCell, containing data pasted in by the macro. If I just record what I'm doing manually, ActiveWorkbook.PublishObjects.Add uses an absolute range, like $A$1:$J$1253. The $A$1 is OK, but the second value will vary from time to time as the dimension of the pasted data changes. So I tried jamming ...

Save as CSV not saving the same from Excel 2007 then in Excel 2003
If I take an Excel file and Save it as a CSV in Excel 2003 the blank rows from the Excel file show up on the CSV as blank rows (no commas show in that row) But when I save the same file in Excel 2007 (which we recently upgraded) the blank rows from Excel show up as about 15 commas on the CSV file. There are also other rows of data in the CSV file that have 5-10 extra commas appended to the end. Is there an option in Excel 2007 to save as CSV file but exclude blank rows? I can confirm that xl 2003 saves blank rows as blank rows while xl2007 saves them with commas and seems ...

Save as Web Page in Excel 2002
Is there any way to "tone down" the code that Excel 2002 creates when saving a worksheet as a web page? We converted to Excel 2002 this past year at work and I was previously using Excel 97. I have created a VB application that creates information sheets for 67 different categories at my workplace based on dynamic pivot tables it creates when I click a button. The worksheets that are generated are then saved as web pages. Excel 97 used to create very simple html pages that I could then apply my own styles to. Excel 2002 seems to create a new style for each change in j...

combo box and "save as web page"
I have a worksheet with a combo box. I save the worksheet as web page with interactivity added. Te resulting htm page works fine bu the combo list disappears. I have used combo box from from the forms toolbars, from the control toolbars and a validation list. None o them works on the save htm page. Can some help me. ...

OFN_OVERWRITEPROMPT and Save As Hook Proc
I'm using CFileDialog with a Save As hook proc so that I can validate the extension when I receive the CDN_FILEOK notification. I have the OFN_OVERWRITEPROMPT flag set so that the dialog should check whether the file exists before closing. If the user enters a filename with an extension, and the file already exists, all is well; CFileDialog puts up an alert asking the user if he really wanted to replace the file. If, however, the user does *not* enter an extension, then, even if my hook proc *adds* the extension to the file name, no alert appears. This seems to be because the chec...

Can't "Save As" a new filename
Hi. I'm using MSOffice97 on a WindowsXP computer. I can't create a new workbook by using the File/SaveAs menu command. When I try, the error message says [paraphrased]: idmxl8.xla could not be found. Check the spelling & the path, etc. True -- Explorer can't find that file name either on this computer or on the old one, where "SaveAs" still works. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing both Excel and all of Office several times, to no avail. After using Excel for so many years, I use it for practically everything, and the only work-around I've ...

Size of Chart-Save as Web Page
When I publish a chart as a web page (Excel 2003), the image is very large. I have tried changing the Screen Resolution in the Web Options but it does not seem to have any affect. Do others have this same problem, is there a work around? TIA Dean ...

Excel
Whenever I open a document, and try to Save it as something else (File>Save As), nothing comes up. The save as box doesn't come up and neither does an error message. I have tried reinstalling, but that didn't work. Joby From a post by Dave Peterson............. There was a virus that affected the File|Save, File|SaveAs and File|Open. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308360 OFF2000: Error Messages Caused by Nimda Virus When You Open or Save Files in Office Programs maybe you got hit. If this isn't it, do you get error messages? And you may want to try reset...

How to save as a high definition JPEG
Whenever we save our Advertisements file in JPEG format we get a low resolution file. Is there any way to save our file as a high resolution JPEG file? Thank You Michael Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from Michael Malone <mmalone@pdp.ca> > Whenever we save our Advertisements file in JPEG format we > get a low resolution file. Is there any way to save our > file as a high resolution JPEG file? Publisher 2003 can save JPG files at high resolution. A workaround in Publisher 2002 is to enlarge your publication to a larger size,...

Macro help to shorten "Save As" for emails
In a perfect world I would be able to create a macro that looks at an email (like a rule does) and "Save As" to a file folder on our server (not an exchange folder). I've done a search in this newsgroup to no avail. One person asked but they were using Express. I have Outlook 2003. Any suggestions, code you can share or links you can recommend? Thanks to all. scrowley@littleonline.com At its most basic, a VBA procedure you could run as a rule action in Outlook 2002 or 2003 to save the message as an .msg file could be: Public Sub SaveAsSomething(MyMail as MailItem) ...

How to AUTO SAVE as opposed to turning on auto recovery: EXCEL
Is there a way to have Excell perform a SAVE at a specified frequency? -- T-mo T-mo If you're using Excel 2002 or 2003, there is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as there was in earlier versions. Autorecovery from Tools>Options>Save is it. This is not the same as Autosave which made true incremental saves at intervals and alerted you before saving. Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes normally without incident. BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine. I have a...

Removing "Save as Completed" button from Appointment
Hello all, That button is screwing our asynchroneous plug-ins before for some reason the "setstate" plug-ins is firing before the "save" plug-in. Do know how we can remove it? We would also like to remove the "Action\Close" from the menu. Is this possible?? Thanks It is not supported "out of the box" to hide only these buttons. I'm aware of folks using the OnLoad JScript to hide these buttons. Maybe you can check into that, and search and post SDK/JScript questions to the Microsoft CRM Developer forum or try to trouble the plug-in: http...

Save as Picture DISTORTS FONTS
I use Pub 2002 to create compositions that I save as .jpg's for my website, and email headers. The compositions consist of "Digital images (.tiff) + WordArt + Shapes (with fills) + Text Blocks". I group them together, or do a Select All then use "Save as Picture" to save the composition as a .jpg . When I reopen the saved .jpg I find that the text that was added as a Text Block becomes fuzzy / blurry. The images, WordArt, and Shapes all remain clear. It doesn't matter what program I open the .jpg with the Text that was added as a Text Block is re...

Suddenly Save and Save as greyed out in Excel 2003
I use a networked pc and laptop. My Save and Save As applications on the Excel 2003 toolbar have suddently become greyed out. Other users of shared spreadsheets do not have this problem. I do not have the problem with any other Office products. I can use Ctrl "S" or "Close" to get around the problem but this does not help with new workbooks where I need to select the correct location in which to save the file. Any suggestions for a quick fix? ...

Wants to Save As instead of just Save
Thanks for any help you are able to provide. I've been using FrontPage for years but have a minor issue that is annoying me because I don't why it is happening or how to fix it. Long existing pages that I modify in any way at all, will not save in the conventional manner. The Ctrl/S function, and the tollbar button, do not just save the page as it should, but takes me to the "Save As" window instead. I basically have to overwrite the page using the existing file name and then OK the resaving of all the images on the page. There is no duplication of pages...

How do I create a macro to Save As?
How do I write a macro to SaveAs? I want it to save the file as the same filename it already has, but to put it in a different folder. Any help? Record a macro while doing this under tools>maco>record new macro Of course that will save the file in the same folder everytime you run the macro. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Shelly9633" wrote: > How do I write a macro to SaveAs? I want it to save the file as the same > filename it already has, but to put it in a different folder. Any help? Thank you for your speedy reply, however, I already tried that method. The prob...

Save as in Excel
Why is it that when you launch a spreadsheet some time your not > allowed to use save as? Everything is greyed out. Filemanagering : > copying is only option. > > What is the setting that is causing this to bee turned off for some > user, but not all. I'm not sure if this applies to you, but there was a virus (Nimda) that showed this behavior (as well as File|Save and File|Open). Do you have trouble with either of those? http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308360 OFF2000: Error Messages Caused by Nimda Virus When You Open or Save Files in Office Programs ...