European vs American decimals

I have transferred a chart with statistics from an American Website to my 
Dutch version of Excel 2003.

All the statistics are stated in the American format (with a period as the 
decimal sign): example =  8.6

I am not able to make formulas because Excel doesn't seem to recognize the 
period (.) as a decimal sign. (all my equations get the answer 0)

I would like to know how to change the period into a comma(the Dutch decimal 
sign), so that I can use the formula function.

or

I would like to know how to make Excel recognize the Amerian format to use 
the formula function.

Thank you
0
Tobey (1)
10/13/2005 12:38:04 AM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

1 Replies
540 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 1

Hi Tobey

In Windows Control Panel International and Regional settings choose English 
(USA) instead of Dutch. This worked for me in my Hungarian version (we also 
use commaas decimal sign).

Regards,
Stefi

"Tobey" wrote:

> I have transferred a chart with statistics from an American Website to my 
> Dutch version of Excel 2003.
> 
> All the statistics are stated in the American format (with a period as the 
> decimal sign): example =  8.6
> 
> I am not able to make formulas because Excel doesn't seem to recognize the 
> period (.) as a decimal sign. (all my equations get the answer 0)
> 
> I would like to know how to change the period into a comma(the Dutch decimal 
> sign), so that I can use the formula function.
> 
> or
> 
> I would like to know how to make Excel recognize the Amerian format to use 
> the formula function.
> 
> Thank you
0
Stefi (275)
10/13/2005 6:15:02 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Double vs Decimal?
This is a spin off from the thread "Immediate Window: Annoying Notation?" It's a *really* big deal to me all-of-a-sudden bc it sounds like my current SOP might be at variance with good practice. Lotta years ago (JET 3.something) and for reasons not recollected I settled on Double as my data type of choice for big numbers with lots of decimal places. Now it's sounding like Decimal is the preferred vehicle, but I'm a little confused - no... make that a *lot* confused. If Decimal is so "right", how come VBA doesn't support it directly in the Dim statement...

Outlook 2000 VS Outlook 2003 Speed
Hi, I have found that outlook 2003 is much slower than outlook 2000 when it accessing the public folders. Anyone facing similar issue? Any tricks to overcome it? Thanks MWGP ...

Ending Cash Balance in Investment Transactions Register vs Cash Transactions #2
This subject is the same as a previous topic. There didn't seem to be a conclusion in the last discussion of this problem, so I decided to address it once again for those who may still be suffering from this issue. Nonetheless, it's probably worth it for you to read the previous discussion for additional background and context information. THE PROBLEM: In MS Money 2004, for whatever reason, some transactions are stored as Opening Balance transactions and they're hidden from the user such that the opening balance will always be greater than zero even when there are no transaction...

Reminder Time vs Due By Field
I'm using O2003. For a contact, there is the Due by Field. There is also a Reminder Time field. If you update the Due By field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field. By default for a contact, you have access to the Due By field. The Reminder field is avaialble, but you have to manually add it. In Tasks, it seems to work the same in that if you update the Due By field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field. However, you have a...

malloc() vs "new" vs HeapAlloc() vs ...
I'm implementing a "doubly" linked list data structure. My linked list will contain more than 300,000 nodes, so I'd like to conserve as much memory as possible. My list nodes will be C++ structures defined like this : typedef struct tagNode { int x, y; char c; NODE *next, *prev; } NODE; Alternatively, I could use a C++ object to implement this node. ie : class Node { public: int x, y; char c; Node *next, *prev; }; My questions are : 1) Which node type ...

Money 2005 vs 2006
I purchased 2005 last year, installed it and then uninstalled it because I had problems with it and so did others. My question is whether 2006 is worth getting. I am currently using 2004 but it's getting slower even though I archive. Does 2006 have better performance and file size handling than 2004? ...

Windows Mail vs Live Windows Mail
May keyboard has a button to select mail and when I hit MAIL it takes me to windows mail. I don't use Windows Mail but I do use Live Windows mail. I how do I get to Live Windows Mail without bringing up Explorer and using my favorites to get to Live Windows Mail? This button has worked in the pass but I had to re-install windows and start all new. "Skyking from above" <Skyking from above@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A90DEC9A-DC47-4AF2-85FB-0DB8AE910EC3@microsoft.com... > May keyboard has a button to select mail and when I hit MAIL i...

European EFT #3
Hi, I am based in Australia and am testing out the Eurpean EFT module for our Netherlands company. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with this module. -- Greg ...

acanywhere vs acentire
What is the difference between acanywhere and acentire. I am docmd.findrecord in a subform and looking for data that is in the query behind the subform but does not have a textbox on subform. Thanks. searching for 123 acAnywhere in string xxx123xxx is true to find the same record with acEntire you would to search for xxx123xxx, entire, versus anywhere get it? "seeker" wrote: > What is the difference between acanywhere and acentire. I am > docmd.findrecord in a subform and looking for data that is in the query > behind the subform but does not have a ...

New setup vs migration
Assuming that I have an old domain either 2000 or 2003 (with Exchange). The basic concept is that I don't want to migrate automatically but I want to setup a new domain from scratch (Windows2008 with Exchange 2010) in order to avoid all the garbage and to have a cleaner setup. I don't mind recreating all accounts because I can script this but the only real problem will be the cliebnts. If you have 10-15 clients, it's no problem but how can you handlw 100 users in terms of joining them to the new domain and losing their desktop profile? how can I keep their current pro...

Internal exchange vs hosted exchange
Hi, for an office of about 12 people, I'm deciding whether to do hosted exchange or internal/managed.. is hosted better? it appears to be cheaper, but is it better? would you say the following link is an accurate depiction of savings?: http://www.mpronto.com/lower.php?url=in-house-vs-hosted-exchange can anyone recommend some good hosted exchange provider(s) if hosted is in fact better ? thank you -- aliuhz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ aliuhz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/226310.htm View this thread: ...

Access 2002 vs 2003 01-11-10
I have Access databases in 2002 format. I am upgrading to Office 2003. The question is is there a difference between the 2002 format and the 2002-2003 format. I am planning on leaving my programs in 2002 format but using Access 2003--any problems with this? Thanks, Stanley No problem! Access2003 is backward compatible meaning it can run earlier versions of Access. Access2002 is not forward compatible meaning you will not be able to run an Access2003 database from Access2002. Steve santus@penn.com "Stanley" <Stanley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

UK/European EFT
I have a client that needs to do EFT in the UK and will need Euro EFT in the future. Any product recommendations out there? Thx, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics Hi Frank, Most UK GP customers use the European EFT (EEFT) module which is part of core GP (enabled in Company Options). This enables them to process BACS payments from PM. The EEFT module (if you haven't reviewed it already) pretty much sits on top of the Computer Cheques routine and produces an EFT Payment Register Report which can be modified to print to file. It does also populate a table (CM20202) i...

VS 2005 beta question
All, I need to complie some code. I am going from 16bit to 64 bit. The job do not want to spend the money on VS 2005.net. If I compile the code with the beta version or trial version of VS 2005.NET will it time bomb on me? Thanks in advance The code won't, but eventually the compiler will stop working. Don't know if the trial will support 64 bit though. I guess you get what you pay for. Tom "karibbean" <sharp_mind@REMOVE.this.email.msn.dotcom> wrote in message news:%23OyZFNUFGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > All, > > I need to complie some cod...

Fill/Expand Selection adding placeholders to Decimals
Hi, I set up a worksheet for a Lookup Function that contains numbers increasing by 0.1 from 100.0 to 50.0. I used the drag and fill to set up the numbers. I noticed some incorrect entries in the results from the look up and found that on certain numbers it added many decimal spots to the number for example 66.5 look like 66.5000000000001 when I click into the cell. I can not locate a pattern for why this is occurring (i.e. does not occur in the 4-8 or 10-15 but does in the 9 and 16 series). Formatting is set to numerical with 1 decimal point. Any help? I've jus...

Horizons vs GP Manufacturing
Hello I have a Manufacturing prospect who will need a fairly basic BOM and MRP system in GP. I am looking at both standard GP manufacturing and also at the Horizons products. Does anyone have any experience of both? If so, are there any major pro's/cons of either, and what was Horizons like to deal with? The training/documentation on GP Mfg is virtually non existent so for a Manufacturing newbie like me it isn't great. Any advice or feedback gratefully received. Thanks If their process is not complex, then Horizons might be a good fit. Horizons has less conf...

Ribbon vs traditional Menu......
Hi, I want to change the ribbon menu format back to the traditional menu format.... can this be done and if so, how? Thank you! Nichelle Learn Ribbon side by side using old office classic menu from http://shahshaileshs.web.officelive.com/MenuAddins.aspx Free Exshail Classic Menu for Excel-2007 http://shahshaileshs.web.officelive.com/Exshail_Classic_Menu.aspx Regards, Shailesh "Nichelle" <Nichelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5348158-D0E7-44A6-868C-1851D8DA4ADA@microsoft.com... > Hi, I want to change the ribbon menu format bac...

embeds vs attachments
Dear all, A little confused. I attached a file to an email and sent it but the person did not receivc the attachment. Looking at the sent item it appears the document became embedded rather than attached....but how and why could he not see it? Thanks, Danny The issue is to do with the message format. SMTP mail is in 7-bit ASCII and files are attached and warppered to preserve the 8-bit data. However, MS mail clients support 'Rich Text' allowing fonts, colours etc. and allows attachments to be inserted in-line in the document. When a Rich Text document is sent the whole me...

.Formula vs .FormulaR1C1 in 2007
Here's the problem. I have VBA inputting this formula in the same column (col H) of cells: ..Formula = "=if(trim(rc4)=""MS"",""MNGTS"",if(trim(rc4)=""MN"",""MAINS"",""""))" For a single user on Excel 2007 it appears in the cell as: =if(Trim(RC4)="MS","MNGTS",if(trim(RC4)="MN","MAINS","")) When I change the .Formula to .FormulaR1C1 then the (RC4) becomes ($D2) on row 2, which is correct. The issue is other use...

How do I "CTRL [" (jump to a precedent cell) from a European keybo
How do I "CTRL [" (jump to a precedent cell) from a European keyboard? You mean European keyboards don't have the square brackets keys? I didn't know that! Anyway, you can accomplish *almost* the same thing by: <Tools> <Options> <Edit> tab, And *uncheck* "Edit Directly In Cell". Then, all you have to do is double click in the cell containing the formula. I did say *almost* because when you have the square brackets, where <Ctrl> <[> takes you to the precedents, <Ctrl> <]> returns you to the original. I haven't been...

European stocks?
Does Money 2004 support online update of different European stock markets, such as Oslo Stock Exchange? I doesn't get it to work. Which ticker do I use? I have tried NO:STL, when STL is the ticker. IF using the U.S.A. Money version.... we would guess if it is listed under this site then it can be added to your list http://www.comstock-interactivedata.com IF using a European Money version then check which market index it uses. The Index would be on the "home page" with "investment favorites" option shown. >-----Original Message----- >Does Money 2004 supp...

Importing Contact vs Lead
Assume I have a list of names from a recent trade show. We want to bring them into CRM for Marketing Activities. Would it be better to bring them in as contacts, and then convert to a lead when a response is received? Our prospect wants to keep Leads as leads and not cluttered with non-leads. If we had another choice like 'Prospects" this would be better. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance. Actually, this is the true definition of a Lead. These are non-qualified Leads and you have no idea if they are insterested in your products or not. You will actually be cluttering your DB...

Current Year vs. Prior Year reporting
Has anyone here developed a custom report (RMS Active Report or Crystal Report) which gives a breakdown of sales by a certain period (usually by month), then compares that to the same period in a prior year? Our retail division manager is trying to see, at one glance, how sales in 2006, broken down by month, compare to sales during the same month last year. I can generate a SQL query to do this, and I can dump the results into Excel, but I'd like her to be able to do this herself and have a formatted report. I looked in the Reports section of CustomerSource, and did not see anythi...

TTL vs RS-232
About a serial port, is there differences between TTL and RS-232? QU Software - no -- Bruce Eitman (eMVP) Senior Engineer Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman Eurotech Inc. www.Eurotech.com "QuantumUniverses" <quantumuniverses@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uqVErxCzKHA.5288@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > About a serial port, is there differences between TTL and RS-232? > > QU > > > Software - no Eletrical/hardware? I know what's RS-232, that a standard which describes the ma...

VS 2005 resource problems
Very interesting discovery. To corrupt resource file (assumes APS absent): 1. Open project. 2. Open resource from project. a. MS sees that an APS file is missing b. MS incorrectly constructs the APS file c. MS removes all languages except AFX_TARG_ENU 3. Edit and Save the resorce using the MS editor 4. All Languages removed. To preserve resource file (assumes APS absent): 1. Open resource from Windows explorer. a. MS sees that an APS file is missing b. MS correctly constructs the APS file c. MS preserves all languages. 3. ...