Error: "too many different cell formats"

I am working with a large model (25MBs) and when I try to make formatting
changes I have started to get the error message:
Error: "too many different cell formats"

What is causing this?  Is there a quick fix?

The Microsoft support site discusses this error here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904

I encountered this error on a large spreadsheet that I inherited from
another user, who had a number of "back office" or "overhead" tabs
hidden in the sheet.  Even though these sheets were for VLOOKUP
purposes and the user never saw them, the sprdsht author formatted
these tabs very heavily.  I resolved the error in this sprdsht by
inserting a new tab, copying one of the cells, highlighting all the
cells in an "overhead" tab, and selecting >Paste Special >Format.  This
set all the back office tabs to a neutral format, and brought the
number of individual format ranges to below the threshhold described in
the Microsoft site.

This trick might work for you if you also have big ranges of heavily
formatted cells that no one looks at.

0
CycleZen (674)
1/4/2006 9:43:37 PM
Dave O: Is this similar to the error message I rec'd..."Excel could not save
all data and formatting you recently added to [Filename]"?

"Dave O" wrote:

> The Microsoft support site discusses this error here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904
>
> I encountered this error on a large spreadsheet that I inherited from
> another user, who had a number of "back office" or "overhead" tabs
> hidden in the sheet.  Even though these sheets were for VLOOKUP
> purposes and the user never saw them, the sprdsht author formatted
> these tabs very heavily.  I resolved the error in this sprdsht by
> inserting a new tab, copying one of the cells, highlighting all the
> cells in an "overhead" tab, and selecting >Paste Special >Format.  This
> set all the back office tabs to a neutral format, and brought the
> number of individual format ranges to below the threshhold described in
> the Microsoft site.
>
> This trick might work for you if you also have big ranges of heavily
> formatted cells that no one looks at.

Hi, Guatama100-
Your error is different from the "too many formats" error.  I searched
the Microsoft Support site and found this, which may apply to your
problem.  If you click this link, scroll down to find your error
message and its cause.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211439

0
CycleZen (674)

Error: Too many different cell formats
Hi, Today I got a strange error with my workbook. When I opened my workbook in excel 2007 I lost all of my cell formats. When I opened the same workbook using Excel 2003 I got an exception with message "Too many different cell formats". I realized that the exception will be thrown if the workbook has more than 4000 unique cell formats. But I am sure I don't have those many cell formats in my workbook. I really need to get my cell format back. Is there any way to get the cell/sheet format? I don't mind if I lose some of the cell formats during my recovery process. Any h...

"Too many different cell formats" when opening file?????
How do I recover my file? When I try to open, I get, "Too many different cell formats". http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 http://www.vbapro.com/xl_formats.ht -- icestationzbr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- icestationzbra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26156 ...

"too many different cell formats"
When trying to open a file, the above erroe message is displayed and the file will not open. Is it at all possible to open the file or is it "lost forever"? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks Hi Cindy, You can search Google Groups on your error message http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100 Search all words: "Too Many Different Cell Formats" author: Leo Heuser Since the answers you are looking for have been posted by Leo Heuser I included his name as author for your search as well as shown above to see if the...

Excel: too many different cell formats
I am plagued by this error in a large multi-paged workbook in Excel 2000. Is there a workaround? Will a later version have a better tolerance? Check out this Jack XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Jack" <Hig...

Too many different cell formats
Does anyone know a way around this error other than to start over and reformat? I think you have two choices - either clear ranges of cells of their formats or upgrade to Excel 2007, which has a greater limit on the number of formats. -- Jim "Gene" <genemont@spircomfg.com> wrote in message news:jb2dnZOUOdFqjCrVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@posted.webnetmemphis... | Does anyone know a way around this error other than to start over and | reformat? | | ...

Too many different cell formats #2
I am working with a large spreadsheet (with many worksheets) that will not allow me to change/add any more cell formats and limits my additional data entry. The message pops up "Too many different cell formats". Per Microsoft's support page 213904, they instruct you to reduce the number of formats to standard formats, etc. I've tried to do that but any change backwards to standard formatting is evidently the same as new change. I'm stuck. There must be a trick to quickly change each worksheet back to a standard format. Any help would be appreciated. Excel 2003o...

Too many different cell formats #5
I have one worksheet with this problem but in despite of=20 doing a lot of modifications, some time after the problem=20 is still happens. Someone know how can I efficiently fix=20 this Problem? There is any tools to help me to repair that=20 even counting up how many formats I have, best regard Andr=E9 Martins Hi for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Andr´┐Ż Martins wrote: > I have one worksheet with this problem but in despite of > doing a ...

Recover .xls file with "Too many different cell formats" error
I have an Excel file with over 20 different worksheets that link to each other, and most of their cells are formated. When I was formating one of the worksheets I received the "Too many different cell formats" error, and from that point, anytime I try to open the file I receive this same error message. File recovery is not working, because it removes the formatting, and formulas. Any suggestions? Thanks Saved from a previous post: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 And if you ever have trouble opening t...

A diolog box that says 'Too many different cell formats.'
When I try to change the formating on certain cells, one at a time or many, in a multi work book spread sheet I get a warning diolog box that says "Too many different cell formats." How do I fix this. The formating change can be a simple a adding color to a cell. XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 stumped chump wrote: > > When I try to change the formating on certain cells, one at a time or many, > in a multi work book spread sheet I get a warning diolog box that says "Too > ma...

Too many different cell formats!
This error occcurs when i add some worksheets to a workbook from another one. I am not completely sure (cos this is not my work actually) but it seems to me that there is not really too much (about 4000?) "different" cell formats in the workbook, but there is a quite lot amount of drawing objects (grouped technical drwaings plus autocad objects which i also converted them to bitmaps to overcome the error). I also dont understand the restriction: If i have 3999 cells formatted "bold" and another 2 formatted "underlined" this should not count 4001. True? My workb...

Error: Too Many Different Cell Formats
All, Recently, while working with a large Excel 2000 workbook, I encountered an error. The error read "Too many different cell formats." After clicking "OK" I saved and closed the workbook. Unfortunately, now, my workbook will not open!!! Microsoft's fix posted on their website is to reduce the file formats in the workbook. However, once you've closed the workbook, it is impossible to open it again. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. My last backup file is over two weeks old!!! Thanks, Mike Some people have reported success opening the fi...

Can't open doc. Too many different cell formats.
I am working on creating a spreadsheet. It contains a lot of conditional format as well as cell formats. I went to change a cell background color and a message came up that said "Too many different cell formats" and would not let me proceed. I closed the document and then tried to reopen it and now I can't get my document to open. I would revert to a previous saved point if I could get to it but I can't. I need help from those gurus out there. Some info: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 A few...

error message: Too many different cell formats.
I wanted to ask if I have an excel file with multiple sheets and this error message comes up is it ok if I take the sheet I was trying to do work on, send it to a new excel file "eg. book1" and then work on it? And if I do this can I put the sheet worked on back into the excel file i took it out of without getting that message? -- Vince Hill Here is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article about that: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 This happens in large spreadsheets that are format-intensive. Excel can keep track of about 4000 different combinati...

Error: "too many different cell formats"
I am working with a large model (25MBs) and when I try to make formatting changes I have started to get the error message: Error: "too many different cell formats" What is causing this? Is there a quick fix? The Microsoft support site discusses this error here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 I encountered this error on a large spreadsheet that I inherited from another user, who had a number of "back office" or "overhead" tabs hidden in the sheet. Even though these sheets were for VLOOKUP purposes and the user never saw them, t...

"Too many different cell formats" error
Receiving this pop up error message when opening a .xls file. File will not open. Any suggestions on how to fix and save file? Hi Lorena XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Lorena" <lorena.l.solano@convergys.com...

Error Message "Too many different cell formats"
How can you recover an Excel workbook, with the error message "Too many different cell formats? The last time I had to do this, I opened the workbook and select complete columns and gave them vanilla formatting. Sometimes, xl would yell and not do the whole column. I'd have to save the workbook, close it, and reopen it and keep going. It was boring, but it finally worked. I've read that openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org, a 50 meg download or a CD) is more forgiving. Maybe you can open a copy of your workbook in that application and fix your formatting. Then see what ...

can not open excel file, too many different cell formats
can not open a specific excel file, too many different cell formats message appears on my screen. the file contians about 85 work sheets Some info: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 A few people have posted that they could open the file in OpenOffice, then remove some of the formatting, save it and then excel would open that file ok. http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD Abdur wrote: > > can not open a specific excel file, too many different cell formats message > appears on my screen. the ...

What does the error message "Too many different cell formats" mean
I have a fairly large and complicated Excel file. When copied a new worksheet into this file, Excel kept giving me an error message that said "Too many different cell formats". In the end it copied the sheet without cell formats, and it will not let me format the cells. It still gives me the same error message. I cleared formats from the entire worksheet, it did not change anything. Any ideas? Check this out: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213904 tj "windchimes" wrote: > I have a fairly large and complicated Excel file. When copied a new > worksheet in...

Error message opening a file due to too many different cell formats
What can be done to fix this problem? There are 63 sheets in this workbook. There has been a lot of copying and pasting. Now the workbook won't open because there are too many different cell formats. Hi for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 Though I'm not sure it will help if you can't open your file anymore -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany lc wrote: > What can be done to fix this problem? There are 63 sheets > in this workbook. There has been a lot of co...

Getting "Too many different cell formats" error
Hi, I have a larger spreadsheet and am getting the "too many different cell formats used" error. Is there a utility or method to use to go about first off 1. identifying how many cell formats are used? 2. identifying occurances that that unique or minimal so I can change then to a normal style? See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=213904 You receive a "Too many different cell formats" error message in Excel -- HTH Bob Phillips "SharonP." <SharonP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3D449DE-ADF8-4F24-9B51-128F7C7525B...

cannot load excel file
When trying to load an excel file it will not allow me to open it and shows the message in a separate window " too many different cell formats". I am led to believe (after a bit of investigation) that the file is now too large and needs to be slimmed down. This is fine, but I need to be able to open it first! Is there a way to open this file? Please help. This spreadsheet is important to me. Thank you. A page format is a combination of upper/lower/left/right border, font color, interior color, number format. All the more reason to format large areas all at the same time i...

Unable to open a 82 KB XLSM file due to "Too many different cell formats" & "Converter failed to open the file." errors.
Hello. I received a 82 KB XLSM (macro version?) file from a colleague. I tried to open it in my updated (as of last Tuesday) MS Office 2003 Pro. SP3, with its compatibilty pack. Excel Office SP3 (v11.8302.8221 SP3) failed to open it. When opening it, I saw "File conversion in progress" dialog box for a second, "Too many different cell formats" twice, and then "Converter failed to open the file." I asked another coworker who had old Office 2003 (not updated) and the compatbility pack. She got the same errors BUT was able to see the read the contents unlik...

How do I solve "too many different cell formats" in Excel 2003
I have a workbook (about 1.6MB) that constantly gets the above. When this happens I save, close and reopen, and then I can continue for a while, until it happens again. Have moved sheets out of the book, but not much help. I have had this before, but the file size was about 3MB, and moving the sheets out and back in seemed to help. The files are heavily formatted but there must be something I can re-set or.............. When it gets to far gone, Excel will just crash and corrupt the original file by deleting ALL formatting in the book permanently. I have recently become very zealous ab...

Too Many Different Cell Formats?
In a worksheet, when i attempt to save or do something, such as print it says "Too Many Different Cell Formats". I have looked o support.microsoft.com and came up with KB article 213904, pertaining t the 4000 different combinations of cell formats. my worksheet has wel under that amount. Any ideas? is there a way to show the amount o different cell formats in order to count? thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Sascotek, sometimes i've met with this problem. As I figured out, there was two possible cause of these alerts. one, when you put more than 15 cha...

Too many different cell formats
Recently, while working with a large Excel 2000 workbook, I encountered an error. The error read "Too many different cell formats." After clicking "OK" I saved and closed the workbook. Unfortunately, now, my workbook will not open!!! Microsoft's fix posted on their website is to reduce the file formats in the workbook. However, once you've closed the workbook, it is impossible to open it again. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. My last backup file is over two weeks old!!! Thanks, Mike It may be possible to deal with this but I would nee...