Error Message when I try to open Excel files

Just got a new computer with Windows XP Home Edition.  The old compute
was Windows 98.  Whenever I try and open any of my Excel 9
spreadsheets, I get error message:

"A document with the same '******.xls' is already open.  You canno
open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are i
different folders.  To open the second document, either close th
document that's currently open, or rename one of the documents."

If I click OK the spreadsheet is ready.

It apparently wants to open the same file twice.  Any suggestions a
this is becoming aggrevating and sometime our more complicate
spreadsheets won't open at all.

Thank you

Hi
see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Just got a new computer with Windows XP Home Edition.  The old
> computer was Windows 98.  Whenever I try and open any of my Excel 97
> spreadsheets, I get error message:
>
> "A document with the same '******.xls' is already open.  You cannot
> open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in
> different folders.  To open the second document, either close the
> document that's currently open, or rename one of the documents."
>
> If I click OK the spreadsheet is ready.
>
> It apparently wants to open the same file twice.  Any suggestions as
> this is becoming aggrevating and sometime our more complicated
> spreadsheets won't open at all.
>
> Thank you.
>

> ---
frank.kabel (11126)
6/14/2004 10:34:23 PM
Hi Terri,

              SYMPTOMS
In Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0, when you click the Address bar arrow
and select a Microsoft Excel 2000 workbook, you may receive the following
error message:

A document with the name 'file name.xls' is already open. You cannot open
two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different
folders. To open the second document, either close the document that's
currently open, or rename one of the documents.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0, when you click the Address bar arrow
and select a Microsoft Excel workbook, you may receive the following error
message:

Reference Is Not Valid.
CAUSE
This problem occurs if all of the following conditions are true:
In the versions of Internet Explorer listed at the beginning of this
article, you open an Excel workbook that contains hyperlinks.

-and-
You click a hyperlink in the Excel workbook that jumps to a named location
within that same workbook.

-and-
After you follow the hyperlink to a named location in the workbook, you
then click the same workbook name in the Address bar list.
NOTE: The error message may also occur when you open an Excel workbook in
Internet Explorer and then attempt to open the same workbook again by
selecting it from the Address bar list.
MORE INFORMATION
In Excel, you can use a hyperlink to jump to an object, file, page, or
other destination, such as a named location or a specific cell range. When
you follow a hyperlink to a named location or to a specific cell range in
the same workbook, Excel performs a Goto command and selects the location
in the same workbook. If the workbook is open in Internet Explorer, and if
you follow the hyperlink, there is no way to go back to the previous
location in the same workbook. When you click the Back button in Internet
Explorer, you go to the previous address. If you select the workbook in the
Address bar list, Internet Explorer attempts to open another copy of the
same workbook and produces the error message described in the "Symptoms"
section.

The Web toolbar in Excel allows you to go to the previous location in the
same workbook, but you cannot display the Web toolbar inside Internet
Explorer.

This problem does not occur in Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 5.x or
later.

Please let me know has this helped You...
Thank You...
Raghu...

raghupg (61)
6/15/2004 12:45:27 AM
I'm not sure that this helps in that we are not opening excel usin
internet explorer.  The files that are opening properly are actuall
the very easy spreadsheets that do not contain any goto commands.  So
don't think this is our problem.

If you have any additional suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Took a look at further Solutions...

raghupg (61)

Sending entire objects via socket vs primitive message fields
I am using a library called "The Network Development Kit". http://www.codeproject.com/internet/ndk.asp The kit allows me to easily establish client/server connections and assemble "messages" (consisting of strings, integers, etc) to pass back and forth between the client and server. With my initial protocol design, I have been passing data via the primitive data field types (strings, int's, etc). The basic logic flow requires me to: 1) Deconstruct the object and assemble the varying field values into a CNDKMessage. 2) Send that message to the server and reconstruct th...

Setup of Generic Out of office Message office 2003/2007
Hi, Out Communications department want's us to setup a standard out of office message for all mailboxes in the organisation. They want every user to have access to the generic Out of Office message. Is there a way I can create an Outlook template or something that I could give all users to put in their mailbox Out of Office area. thanks -- Kath ...

Excel Progrom Error

Sharebuilder account import error

Storing Data in Microsoft Excel
Hi I wonder if anyone out there would help I have excel, and I have some data which I update daily in the spreadsheet, I would like to create a macro, to copy all the data onto another page, and then, so that the next day I enter new set of data and when I press the same button it copies it all to the same page as the other data, but one row underneath (so that it doesn't override it) I know this can be done, but I cant remember how to do it. I did something in VB, active.offset but that's all I can remember if there is anyone that could help that would be brilliant All the be...

Need help w/ excel formula (duplicate entry)
Hello, I am not sure if this is possible but I would like write a formula that would recognize a duplicate entry under same column. e.g., column A has heading of Sample ID# and under is sample ID# in random order. If an entry of ID is then made but if it is a repeat of the ID that was previously entered, I would like to it to give some kind of warning message. Thank you. You may want to read some of Chip Pearson's techniques for dealing with duplicates: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Visit Chip Pearson's site for a Data|validation solution: http://www.cpearson.com/ex...

2003 Keeps the default workbook open
When I start Excel, it starts up with a blank workbook. If I immediately open a saved file, it closes the blank workbook... All good... except mine has stopped closing the blank one. So I always end up with 2 workbooks open, the one I opened and a blank one that I'm not interested in! Is this a setting? if so where? Can I fix it? thanks... M Did you or someone create a default workbook (ie, Book.xltx or Book.xltm) and save it in "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART"? On 5/9/2010 4:17 AM, Michelle wrote: > When I start...

Messages saved to Deleted Items instead of Drafts
I am using Outlook 2003 SP2 (Office 2003 Pro) in Windows XP Pro SP2, with all available patches to Windows and Office. If I start a message or a Reply and click the Save icon, the saved message is "saved" to the Deleted Items folder instead of the Drafts folder. If I close the message (as one would do if one were planning to continue later) and empty the Deleted Items folder the message is lost. If I go to Tools, Options, Preferences, E-mail Options..., Advanced E-mail Options..., "Save unsent items in:" has "Drafts" selected, so it should save them in the...

I need to widen my screen so I can print a wide file?
How do I do this? I need to print a copy that shows all the script which is too wide. I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but changing to Landscape orientation might help. Assuming that you are using Word 2007, click the Page Layout tab, and then click Orientation in the Page Setup group. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "bingo" <bingo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA925BD1-D8EF-408B-9588-4F5BF7FCD554@microsoft.com... > How do I do this? > I need to print a copy that shows all the script which is too wide. ...

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

ERROR

error, chkdsk

4.4.7 error

error 0x800CCC0F

Excel error codes translations

delete server...routing master error

open attachments via OWA
Have a curious situation. A user is complaining of cannot open attachments via OWA. That's through our company Exchange server (Exchange 2003). Now, on the very *same* laptop she is using, she can get attachments from another company's OWA. Very strange. What is the normal cause of this issue? What attachment types can't see access? (e.g. doc, mdb, exe, com, bat, .etc) The reason that I ask is that OWA under Exchange 2003 can block access to specific attachment types just like Outlook 2003. "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message news:3shlhkFoeg86U1@...

Excel reference
Does anyone know a good reference for the excel functions/methods in powershell. doing the more advance stuff in excel through powershell. Setting print areas, centering columns etc... Saw your old post. Not sure if this will help google Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass or $a = New-Object -comobject Excel.Application $a|get-method "Chris" wrote: > Does anyone know a good reference for the excel functions/methods in > powershell. > > doing the more advance stuff in excel through powershell. Setting > print areas, cent...

Default File Renaming
When I save my files as webpages Publisher automatically renames alllllll of my files to Img001 Img002 etc etc and I have to go through the HTML and change ALL the file names so that it pulls the right pictures... my site is huge, this is tedious and annoying... can anyone help??? It is not renaming your image files, it is making copies of them. If you are renaming those copies than your page won't load the images because the file names will be wrong. I recommend you visit my site and review the articles I have for the version you are using. If you require anything further please use ...

set up different default printer for MS Excel
I have a printer A set up as default for my PC. I want to have a printer B to be default one for ALL NEW Excel files. So task is not to change it manually or via some macro button; the task is to have the printer B ready directly after opening of Excel file. Any suggestions? Stefan, You can change the default printer for all applications with the Windows Control Panel. Start - Control Panel - Printers and Faxes. Right-click the printer you wish to be the default, and choose "Set as Default." To set a default printer for Excel only (different from the Windows default printer...

Re: Money 2004

Technical error

Can't move items to PST file
Ever see a message when moving an email (with attachment) from your In Box to a subfolder in a Personal Folder (pst) that Outlook "Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. It was already moved or deleted, or access was denied." Thanks for any help you can provide! Greg PS. We don't have any mailbox limits set on the network. What is the overall size of the .PST file and how many items are in the folder you're trying to move the item to? Also, what version of Outlook are you using? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address ...