Error Message "Unable to read file"

This message has happened before and I have forgotten how
to fix it.  I had loaded the Pack 3 fix and then had to
reload my Office XP software after the Pack 3 load.  Now I
can't open Excel, Word or any other files that I have
without getting an error.  In Word the error is similar.
I tried to reload the Pack 3 but it wouldn't because it is
already loaded on my computer.

Any all suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you.
0
Burnett24 (1)

Excel unable to read file
Greetings, I wanted to find out what could be causing my current problem. I have installed the latest Office updates last Friday to a Windows XP SP1 and Office XP PC and now neither Excel nor Word will open a file. The message received is "Unable to read file" in Excel. Word does the same thing but also tells me that the Normal.dot already exists and would I like to save anyway. Anyone have any similar problems after downloading and installing the latest office updates? Oh and if you know how I can get Office to work again without uninstall/reinstall of the software I would gre...

Unable to Read File
All of a sudden my Excel 2002, SP-2 says it can't read any of my files. Advice???? On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:10:41 -0400, "Larry Bohen" <lbohen@audiobooksonline.com> wrote: >All of a sudden my Excel 2002, SP-2 says it can't read any of my files. > >Advice???? More details would be nice. - Where are these files? Local drive, network drive, removable media? - What's the exact error message that you're getting? - Are you trying to open the files through the File Open dialog, or through Windows Explorer? - If at all possible, have you tried opening the d...

"Unable to Read File" #2
I experienced a first-time problem this morning when trying to open an existing XL document from XL 2002. Upon an attempt to open, the dialog box "Unable to Read File" immediately popped up. I've tried many files and they all won't open. As I have network access, I've tried opening public directory files from other machines and had no problems at all. I found a document of limited help "812384 - XL 2002" in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, but it doesn't say where to download a fix or get a patch from. The link provide is generic and not directly of...

"Unable to read file" error
Just installed Office XP two weeks ago. Whenever I start Excel the above error message pops up TWICE, and the pane that is supposed to appear along the right side of the screen (showing templates and recent work) does NOT appear. Of course I'm reluctant to reinstall, because the registration cops will count it against me. Any ideas you might have would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Unable to read file #11
I am getting this message when trying to open a file that I have been using for the last few days. The file was successfully saved the last time used, but I can no longer access it...help! Hi Steve! Have you been saving to and from a floppy disc from within Excel? If so, your file is corrupted. Here's a resource post on recovery of corrupted files. I've checked out all the links referred to. Additional comments and suggested additions are welcome. Some of the most frantic and desperate posts come for this and they are frequently in tears of happiness when they get a solutio...

"Unable to read file" Message
I have a working file that I update on a weekly basis. I now can't open the file and it's giving me a "Unable to read file" message. Pls help. The file is a year-long archive of activities which is impossible to recreate. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The readonly question is slightly different. But Debra Dalgleish includes a suggestion at the FAQ at her site: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly It says: Clear out c:\windows\temp directory on the machine that houses the files, then reboot. Bob wrote: > > >-----Original Message----...

unable to read file
I just finished a spreadsheet last night that was opened from a flash/jump drive and saved back on it after editing. I took the drive to work and now it is saying that is a unable to read file. So I brought the drive back home and it still won't open--saving unable to read file. Please help! Jessica, I hate to have to break this to you, but if my suspicion is correct, then you have lost your file... The standard USB disk driver has a setting for letting you select between performance or quick removal optimization; in plain English, because writing to memory is much faster than w...

Error: Unable to Read File
I saved a file last week, and now when I try to open it, it give me an "Unable to Read File" error. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's a very important file and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Pat wrote: > I saved a file last week, and now when I try to open it, > it give me an "Unable to Read File" error. Does anyone > have any suggestions? It's a very important file and any > help would be greatly appreciated. > > Thanks ...

unable to read file #14
is the message when i try to open an excel file Is it a particular excel file, or all excel files? It it is just one, you are probably dealing with a corrupt file. To recover it, try starting a new instance of excel, choosing the Data - Import menu function, and importing the corrupt file's data into a new sheet. -- crispbd ------------------------------------------------------------------------ crispbd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10880 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=274583 Any file or all files?...

Error Message "Unable to read file"
This message has happened before and I have forgotten how to fix it. I had loaded the Pack 3 fix and then had to reload my Office XP software after the Pack 3 load. Now I can't open Excel, Word or any other files that I have without getting an error. In Word the error is similar. I tried to reload the Pack 3 but it wouldn't because it is already loaded on my computer. Any all suggestions are welcomed. Thank you. ...

Unable to Read File #13
I saved a file last week, and now when I try to open it, it give me an "Unable to Read File" error. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's a very important file and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks You may want to try a different version of excel to see if it can open it. (xl2002+ may work) And OpenOffice has a better reputation for opening files that earlier versions of excel couldn't. (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD) If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've never used it, but you migh...

Trying to open Excel/Word files error message "Unable to read file
Simply trying to open files, Excel and Word! Either through Explorer or using the Open file option, getting the above error message. Have I somehow deleted a settings file / adjusted the settings? How do I fix this problem? Thanks Disable the Office Plugin that comes with Symantec/Norton AntiVirus. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more information. "RobM" wrote: > Simply trying to open files, Excel and Word! Either through Explorer or using > the Open file option, getting th...

"Unable to read file"message in Word & Excel
My PC has suddenly started displaying the above message whenever I attempt to open Word or Excel files on my hard disc. My files are not corrupted as I get the same error when using a diskette containing files which are months old. I use Excel 2002 (10.6501.6626) SP3 installed from an Office XP CD & Windows XP Home SP1. Is this a program or operating system error? I can find no help anywhere! Problems with both Word & Excel files occurred simultaneously. Just noticed similar problem with Powepoint, displaying "Powerpoint can't read <filename>" message. Any h...

"Unable to read file" error message when you open Excel file that contains a PivotTable report
Hi, I am get an "Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel file that contains a PivotTable report. All the symptoms match microsoft support article 819853, except I am using Office 2003 not 2002. Is there a patch for the problem and how do I obtain it. I do need to unprotect and protect the workbook and worksheets, and not corrupt the file. Regards Tim ...

"Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel file that contains a PivotTable report.
Hi, I am get an "Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel file that contains a PivotTable report. All the symptoms match microsoft support article 819853, except I am using Office 2003 not 2002. Is there a patch for the problem and how do I obtain it. I do need to unprotect and protect the workbook and worksheets, and not corrupt the file. Regards Tim Well I have the same problem. Currently developing an application in Excel (I would do it on SQL Server, but not my decision), so at the moment struggling with the instable environment of VBA in Excel. I do have 2 ...

"unable to read file"
I had just sent a question to the newsgroup and I put the wrong error message. I put "can not read file" when it should be "unable to read file". When I try and open one of my Excel workbooks, I get the "unable to read file" message. Is there anyway to get this workbook open it, recover it, or fix it? CR Hi CR! Sounds like a corrupted file. First check that Excel will open other files OK. Here's a resource post on recovery of corrupted files. I've checked out all the links referred to. Additional comments and suggested additions are welcome. Som...

Unable to read file message
When I try to open a (my most important) excel file, I am getting the message 'Unable to read file'. I have tried saving it to disk and opening it on Win98 (I have xp thinking maybe it was something to do with the OS (I read something like that somewhere on the 'net). Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone, and with successfu resolution? Thank you in advance.... Sa -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > When I try to open a (my most important) excel file, I am getting the > message 'Una...

Unable to read file
Could anybody please help me urgently? I have just been updating a very important spreadsheet in MS Excel 2000, and when I have gone to reopen it the background of the spreadsheet unopens (without columns or rows) and then a message comes up saying "unable to read file." Anybody got any ideas how to sort this out? I am using Windows 98 SE. I have opened the file in Notepad and the info appears in there, but it is all jumbled up (script form maybe?) and I cant make head nor tail of it! Please please help! PS: Yes I know i should have made a back up of it, but I aint! Thanks Tr...

I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open?
I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open? Try to open it on another machine. If you get the same result the file is possibly corrupt and un-openable. -- Regards - Andy Wiggins FCCA www.BygSoftware.com Excel, Access and VBA Consultancy "Alanb" <Alanb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43A12AA1-9E02-4B67-9BC8-88CD2D613240@microsoft.com... > I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open? From where are you trying to open? If on removable media, copy first to hard drive then open from there. Alterna...

Unable to read file
When I try to open a (my most important) excel file, I am getting the message 'Unable to read file'. I have tried saving it to disk and opening it on Win98 (I have xp) thinking maybe it was something to do with the OS (I read something like that somewhere on the 'net). Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone, and with successful resolution? Thank you in advance.... -- Mister Sam www.mistersam.com sam@mistersam.com Hi sounds like somehow your file got corrupted (you have not saved and opened it directly to/from a floppy disk?). One idea: download OpenOffice (www.openoffice...

unable to read file with "xlw" extension
I have an old but very important file with a "xlw" extension which I cannot open with Excel. When I tried to open it, some error message came up indicating the file cannot be accessed, as though the file is not there. Any idea? Sounds like a workspace file, which contains information about workbooks, but not the workbooks themselves. So the workbook files may not be able to be accessed... You'll need to find the workbook files. From XL Help ("Save a group of workbooks in a customized workspace") > You can open a group of workbooks in one step by creating a work...

Unable to read File #4
I have one particular file in Excel 97 which I open and update daily (stock market stuff) and each day I copy the days entries and paste it below for the next day. Been doing this for years with no hitch until a couple of months ago then one day I tried to open the file and got a notice "Unable to Read File". Tried everything I knew (which is not much) with no luck. Fortunately I had the file saved to a flash drive and was able to open it there and "Save As" back to by hard drive. It worked fine for a while, then last week it happened again, but I didn't bother to ret...

Unable to read file.
Hi, I am unable to open an Excel file that I have used weekly for the past 7 years. I get the message "unable to read file". All other Excel files appear to be behaving themselves. Can someone help please. JM Do you know anyone that has Excel XP or Excel 2003, as these have detect and repair options that may fix this for you. Also, you can try the free download OpenOffice from www.openoffice.org (60MB though), as the Spreadsheet element of that suite OpenOffice.Calc will also open many Excel files that Excel can't. Failing that, if it's not too big a file (Anything up ...

Unable To Read File #3
I'm getting the error mesage "Unable to read file" when attempting to read a worksheet created in 2003. I'm using the same version of Excel that I was using in 2003. The file has been backuped to a diskette and sitting there ever since 2004. I attampted to open in Word but received the same error message. My program package is Microsoft Office 2000 Premium. What do you suggest? If it was saved to the floppy as opposed to copied there is a big chance that it might be corrupt and beyond any help unless you have serious equipment. Download open office and try to ...

Unable to read file #5
Dear Officer In Charge, I am using Office 2007 Professional. I have one file (I named this as target file) that contains some data that is linked to another file with protected hidden sheets (I named this file as source file). When I open the target file without opening the source file and update the links, the system will prompt me "Unable to read file.". Then, the system will help me to update the links in the file and the value in the target file becomes "#REF". However, if I open the source file, the links in the target file is refreshed with correct value. Wo...