Duplicate Files Created

Have a user who is working on a spreadsheet.
When she saves her changes, and exits out of the spreadsheet, it creates a
duplicate file.  It is an unassociated file, but it does open with Excel.

0
BrianDoc (2)

Are you sure it's an exact duplicate???

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
test.  If that doesn't help, maybe there was a permissions change???

--

Dave Peterson
0

Cannot disable AntiVirus as this is on a network share, and cannot risk
something getting in...

The permissions for this file are currently being looked at by the Network
Admin.

Thanks for your response.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Are you sure it's an exact duplicate???
>
> When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
> characters--no extension).
>
> If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
> backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
> rename the funny named file to the original's name.
>
> Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
> software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
> problems.
>
> Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
> test.  If that doesn't help, maybe there was a permissions change???
>
> Brian Doc wrote:
> >
> > Have a user who is working on a spreadsheet.
> > When she saves her changes, and exits out of the spreadsheet, it creates a
> > duplicate file.  It is an unassociated file, but it does open with Excel.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
BrianDoc (2)

launch app and read file by drag and drop
How do I get my application to open and read a file when the file's icon has been dragged onto the application icon? I can drop a file onto the open application and read it, but I can't figure out how the application gets the file name when the file's dropped onto the icon. I'm using VS 6.0. ...

Duplicates

.IQY Files!!!
Hello Pros i'm Newb , Totally Newb to Excel :( How do i make Excel Files that End up With .iqy i need Excel to Extract Information From a website , like a income statement of a stock , Balance sheet , cash flow statement of that specific Stock ! is it possible that each team i Open the files it let's me type in the stock Symbol that i need that information for ? i don't know how to make this File !!! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ is that possible ? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "Pivotrend >" wrote > How do i m...

*.pst file for IMAP
Hi, Is there a way to redirect the *.pst file for a IMAP account to a folder on the local network? Best regards, /LS Lennart Svenssson <lensv@ituf.liu.se> wrote: > Is there a way to redirect the *.pst file for a IMAP account to a > folder on the local network? Afraid not. -- Brian Tillman ...

Can't Create New Public Folders in a General Purpose PF Tree
Hello, I'm not able to create 2nd-level public folders underneath a newly created Public Folder Tree using Exchange System Manager. I'm logged on as an Exchange Full Administrator. I first create an alternate public store under Administrative Groups | First Administrative Group | First Storage Group | Alternate Public Store. Then when I move down to the Folders container (Administrative Groups | First Administrative Group | Folders ) I can create a new Public Folder Tree called Alternate Tree in addition to the tree that is already there called Public Folders. Everything i...

how do I create a title for my spreadsheet. As in a headline?
How do I make a headline for my spreadshett? I'd like to center it at the top of the page. Thank You. Hi, It depends on whether you are talking about print time or in the spreadsheet. 1. If you want it in you printout only then choose File, Page Setup, Header/Footers tab, Custom Header and enter the title you want in the Center section. 2. If you are talking about the spreadsheet, then type the title you want in A1, change the Font as desired, Highlight A1:E1 or as many cells as you want the title spread over and click the Merge & Center toolbar button, (the one after the Rig...

HELP! How to extract information in inbox/sentbox into a text file
Can any one tell me how to extract the information of new mails in m inbox/sentbox, including the sender name, message subject and messag time, into a text file ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Money 2004 crash in mnyob99.dll with new file
I just upgraded to money 2004. Whenever I created a new file (via File->New File), money crashes and the system (XP) reported the fault was in mnyob99.dll. This means that I won't be able to create any new money file at all. I also followed some earlier message by opening the sample money file, it works, but then it still crashed when I tried to create a new file. I searched suport.microsoft.com and did not find anything that would solve the problem. Please help. Thanks. MJ - I have a very similary problem installing money 2003, and the suggested help provided to me in an earlier mes...

Changing the names of fields in tables after creating other object
I just leaned about the naming conventions after I have created my tables, reports and several queries. Can I change the name of fields in my tables (to remove the spaces and give them unique names ie not just last name but childlastname) without destroying the work I have done in queries, reports, and forms. Mary -- Positive Direction for Youth & Families, Inc. (www.pdfyinc.com) Possibly. If you are using a newer version of Access, say 2003 or 2007 AND you have Name Autocorrect, and all it's options, enabled, it MIGHT work. I found it somewhat buggy. Before you...

Receiving duplicate emails

csv file download
I have 17 csv files that I download individually daily from a website, can anyone tell me the quickest way to do this ie some sort of automation. Thanks Les. Consider using the Microsoft.XMLHTTP object. With VBScript you could do something like: Sub GetCSV(sSource, sDest) Dim oHTTP, oFSO, oTS Set oHTTP = WScript.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP") Set oFSO = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set oTS = oFSO.CreateTextFile(sDest, True) oHTTP.open "GET", sSource, False oHTTP.send oTS.Write oHTTP.responseText oTS.Close Set oTS ...

Cannot play some WMA files in WMP12
Most of my music plays fine, but some of the WMA's i have that were ripped with a previous version of WMP will not play in WMP12 and also WMP cant read the tags in the file properly. You might have better luck reposting this on the Windows 7 Media forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/threads . This forum is aimed more specifically at problems with WMP 12. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk Chops II wrote: > Most of my music plays fine, but some of the WMA's i have that were ripped > with a previous version of...

File saved yesterday is blank today, how do I retrieve?
A file that I work on nearly everyday is now empty of any data. I saved changes yesterday, and on opening today the worksheet has no data. How can I retrieve a previous to yesterday version of this file? Unless you have a backup process in place and can recover a copy from the backup, the data is probably lost. If you deleted a copy of it, you might find an older copy of it in the Recovery Bin. You might do a 'Search' of 'My Computer' to see if you accidentally saved it somewhere that you don't remember saving the final copy. Sorry to be the bearer of ...

Determine File Location
Hi, Is it possible (in VBA) to check and see where an Access file is being opened/accessed from? For example: If mdb/mde file attempting to be opened resides in C:\db then 'do something else 'do something else end if Thanks, alex "alex" <sql_aid@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4f320ceb-c85f-41f7-b852-9598cc9cb2a6@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is it possible (in VBA) to check and see where an Access file is being > opened/accessed from? > > For example: > If mdb/mde file attempting to be opened resides in C:\db...

Duplicate, Duplicate, dupli ...

Adding only new files to a backup folder
I have a folder containing some five thousand files sorted in numerous subfolders, totaling about 800GB so far and counting. I occasionally add a new file to an appropriate subfolder. So far I safegurd by copying the entire folder on a backup drive. Such a task naturally takes long, long time (two days or longer) even though only a small fraction of the files population is newly created or modified. I am looking for a way that first compares the backup folder witht the parent folder to isolate newly added files and then copies them to the existing backup folder. This way I shou...

How do I duplicate numbering on a raffle?
I am creating an event ticket but would like to number the tickets on both the left and right sides of the ticket. Create a data base with your numbers. Use mail merge for the tickets. You can insert a mail merge field on both sides of your ticket. When you merge have one ticket on your screen. What version Publisher are you using. Some early versions of Publisher shows all the merge items the same in print preview. This is a Publisher bug. Mail, e-mail, and catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH100502901033.aspx -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Candi...

How to delete "non-identical" duplicate records in an Access table
How to delete "non-identical" duplicate records in an Access Table? Where "non-identical" duplicate record means a record in the table that has slightly different datum in one of the fields, but an identical duplicate datum in the field that I am concerned with. For example: SSN MRN CLIENT NAME 001-00-2222 11170419 Smith, Jane 001-00-2222 11170419 Smith, Jane T 001-00-2222 11170419 Smith, Jane Thompson The data of these two records in the fields SSN and MRN are identical; but "non-identical" in the CLIENT NAME field (notice...

Can't open file in Outlook
I keep getting a message about: "can't open file: X:\xxx\xxx.msg The file may not exist, you may not have permissions to open it, or it may be open by another program. Right-click the folder that contains the file, and then click Properties to check your permissions to the folder" when trying to open some message files. Now, the file is there, but it won't allow me to open it, move it, or do anything to it, saying it has created a sharing violation. What's wrong with Outlook 2000? This is Outlook 2000 SP3. Thanks! ...

Automatically open excel file after log in
How can I automatically open the excel file when log in to Windows Create a shortcut to the file and drop it into your Windows STARTUP folder -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Emkay" <Emkay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:572FC2E4-D49B-...

Duplicate ItemLookupcode
Any clues on how I could get duplicate itemlookupcodes?? I found a few of them recently. No SQL queries have been run to generate them and if I try to create a duplicate itemLookupCodes I am stopped with a message telling me to use a unique name. How could they have gotten in the database? Any clues, boos or comments appreciated. Thanks for all the help! Jamie W This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C755DB.F64982C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable As you mentioned, RMS Manager doesn't ...

File I/O related
Hi I have this file i/o related problm I need to create a U I which adds, updates and deletes records from a text file The problm is i need to del/modify records in between using the interface Is it possible to get to the exact position sey 15th record-->to be updated or deleted The problm of multiple primary keys also is there.I have certain data files which have multiple primary keys.Is it possible in MFC to develp using CFile etc.... i don't know ,sorry These requirements clearly suggests, you need a database....( Use MS Access ) If you want to use files, just do something like...