Duplicate Files Created

Have a user who is working on a spreadsheet.
When she saves her changes, and exits out of the spreadsheet, it creates a
duplicate file.  It is an unassociated file, but it does open with Excel.

0
BrianDoc (2)

Are you sure it's an exact duplicate???

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
test.  If that doesn't help, maybe there was a permissions change???

--

Dave Peterson
0

Cannot disable AntiVirus as this is on a network share, and cannot risk
something getting in...

The permissions for this file are currently being looked at by the Network
Admin.

Thanks for your response.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Are you sure it's an exact duplicate???
>
> When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
> characters--no extension).
>
> If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
> backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
> rename the funny named file to the original's name.
>
> Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
> software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
> problems.
>
> Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
> test.  If that doesn't help, maybe there was a permissions change???
>
> Brian Doc wrote:
> >
> > Have a user who is working on a spreadsheet.
> > When she saves her changes, and exits out of the spreadsheet, it creates a
> > duplicate file.  It is an unassociated file, but it does open with Excel.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
BrianDoc (2)

Creating Address Labels in Excel
I have maintained my greeting card mailing list for years in a non-Microsoft program. After I changed my OS to Windows XP, the mailing program wouldn't work. I recently managed to pull the name and address data into Excel, but can't figure out how to create mailing labels from the data. Is there a way to create mailing labels in Excel without having to merge the data with Word or another program? Thanks very much for pointing me in a direction. Hi Mandy, If you have Microsoft Office then you would use Microsoft Word to do the printing with Excel as the database. http://...

How do I clean a file
I have a magazine on a publisher file of 72 pages. It has standing info and adverts remaining from one issue to the next. It is going incredibly slowly and often blanks out altogether. All other files are fine What are you trying to do? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "GrannieMargaret" <GrannieMargaret@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EC18686-DD38-4FA8-994A-B4C7017330D0@microsoft.com... >I have a magazine on a publisher file of 72 pages. It has standing info >and &...

Automatically saving file attachments
I am currently scheduled to receive an email every morning to my exchange mailbox that has a file extract attached to it. Does anyone know of any way (rules?) to have the attachment automatically saved to a specified UNC path? I know SMTP, this is not the most optimal way to transfer data but I'm looking for a quick workaround until our network FTP issues get ironed out. Thanks ...

eps file in GUI
Hi , Can I use EPS file in a GUI developed in VC .NET? I mean i have eps file containing logo and want that to be shown in GUI. Is it possible to use eps file or I need image file only? - David. It's going to be easier if you can convert it something like a .jpg .gif or ..bmp. You could probably figure out a way to display a logo from an EPS, but it is going to be way more trouble than the corresponding BMP. You should be able to convert with any kind of graphics editor (Photoshop, JASC, PhotoImpact, etc.) Tom "David" <know_devig@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message ...

Error when opening a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file
I have a worksheet with a simple macro in it. When I go to open the file, I always get an error message saying "Excel found unreadable content....". Help? ...

Opening File from custom toolbar button
Hi all, I am absolutely perplexed!! I have created a toolbar button with the following macro assigned: Sub RecordsCurrent2() Workbooks.Open "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Records\Records current2.xls" End Sub It runs fine on my Windows98/Office 2000 Desktop PC (with some minor difference in path string) BUT...... on a WindowsXP/Office97 Laptop, for some strange reason, the file opens, without executing the workbook open() event in This Workbook. The procedure that won't work can be as simple as : Sheets ("Tax Invoice Records").Select The workbook does op...

from RGB pixels to Bitmap file
Hello, I am new to VC++ and currently using VC++6.0. I have a big headache on saving bitmaps. I understand that this is very easy to experienced people(but not for me), so I might get some help from the experts here. Basically I have an array of COLORREF variables. I can print them easily using bitblt function in CDC class, but I failed to save them properly into a bitmap file. I could not make the right bitmapheader and the infoheader in particular. I tried a few examples from codeguru.com and get no where with the source code, run time errors all the time, it got me very frustrated. ...

Creating PDF No Longer Works in Any Office Product
I'm not sure when things stopped working. I have MSO 2003 and Windows 2007. When I hit the PDF button in Excel, it starts going through the PDF motions but then Excel locks up and stops responding. In Word, the screen blinks a few times and then just goes back to Word without making the PDF. This is getting frustrating, any ideas? Try this first if you use Excel 2007 Run Office Diagnostics. Office Button>Excel Options...Resources -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Duplicate messages in folders
I'm using Outlook 98 and W2000. When I download my Email I have a problem with only some of the Yahoo (and other) newsgroups to which I belong, placing double (duplicate) messages in the folder to which they are directed. This only happens with a very few groups and is not limited to only one folder. I have several groups directed to the same folder and some of them duplicate where the rest don't! Any ideas on what causes this and its solution? It's rather irritating! Thanks, glen@ccim.net ...

cannot open old files
Hi, I have just downloaded Publisher 2003 on my laptop. When I click on an old file created with Publisher 2000, I get a message that says that Publisher cannot find the file that I specified and the dialogue box will allow me to search for it on my hard drive. I read the other threads and disabled the anti-virus software but that didn't seem to do anything. Help! -- Elsa Larsen elsa larsen wrote: > Hi, I have just downloaded Publisher 2003 on my laptop. > When I click on an old file created with Publisher 2000, > I get a message that says that Publisher cannot find the ...

Creating more than 1 line in a cell
Is there any way to create more than one line in a cell? You cannot use the RETURN or TAB keys since they take you to another cell. I tried using three cells and then merging into one, but then it only keeps the information form the uppermost cell and then deletes the data in the other two cells. Text-wrapping doesn't work because if the word(s) on the top line is long enough, then I have to add several spaces before it will be forced to go down to a second line. I've tried Excel Help, but it goes to autoformat and none of the formats are the ones that I want. Thank...

How do I change the default # of copies to 1 in a specific file?
I have a file created by another user that is defaulting to print 7 copies instead of 1. How can I change this default back for this file only? Thank you! You might find something under Page Setup, Options. This varies with the printer driver but in my case I found the copies controlled under Advanced options for my driver. -- Jim "Brenda" <Brenda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:844371DA-E283-4D3D-ADFB-8A53B098C496@microsoft.com... |I have a file created by another user that is defaulting to print 7 copies | instead of 1. How can I change this default...

opening ms access 2000 file question
I share MS Access 2000 over a windows 2003 server.If a MS Access db is opened up by another user the only way I can openit at the same time is by opening the MS acesss program then use the File > Open option.It will let me double click the db file in windows explorer on a network drive but it does nothing. Thanks!"Ricky" <rfidler2004@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%23qYXCkKcHHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...>I share MS Access 2000 over a windows 2003 server.> If a MS Access db is opened up by another user the only way I can open> it at the same time is by openi...

opening an excel file #2
I recently loaded office xp Pro in my computer, the problem that I am having is when I click on an excel icon where the file is saved, it does open excel, but not the file that I clicked on. I get a grey screen with toolbars on top. I then have to go to file, open, then go to where the file was saved. I have never had to do this before. When I clicked on an excel file that file opened. Can someone help me with this? Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-...

another pst file has attached itself to my all mail folders list
Outlook 2003 I have a few different users and each one has its own pst file with its own individual name. mg.pst or louise.pst etc. Somehow, when I open the mg profile, the louise.pst is also listed in my All Mail Folders List on the left. Right clicking on it to close it, results in the message "the operation failed. An object could not be found". Is there a way to get this out of my mg mail folders list profile list? And how did it get on? TIA Louise Create a new mail profile - yours has somehow become corrupt. Configure it to use your existing .pst file. --� Milly...

"information service" error when trying to open .pst file...
hi all - i can't import a .pst file that created last night back into my pc. when i try, i get the following error: properties for this information service must be defined prior to use and then it tells me my file isn't a .pst file. what's weird is i created another .pst and i can import that one with no issues. any ideas? it figures that it's my fiance's .pst file that i can't import. if you want to save my pending marriage you'll help me out! thanks! Was the pst on a cd and if so, did you remove the read only flag? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlo...

creating text file without delimiters
Does anyone know how to create a text file without delimiters from an excel doc. I need to create this file to use as import to another application. I would really like to just save it without the delimiters. For example, there are three columns in excel doc. col 1 col 2 col 3 52 100 13321 I want to save the data to look like 5210013321 without any spaces, commas or other delimiters. Thanks in advance One way: Public Sub NoDelimiterSV() Dim myRecord As Range Dim myField As Range Dim nFileNum As Long Dim sOu...

File takes 40 minutes to load (auto-calculation)
I have a 7 MB Excel file that takes about 40 minutes to open up. If I turn off auto-calculation, the file opens almost instantly. I have a desktop with Intel P4-2.8GHz, 512MB, Win2K, Office XP with SP3. The thing is, my coworkers who have older/slower machines can open the file almost instantly whether auto-calculation is on or off. There is one other person in the office who is experiencing the same problem. Any thoughts? 2 thoughs are: 1) Assuming your PC is running over a network is your PC comparably slower to the co-workers who load the file immediately? If so, if the file is linked ...

File level AV in addition to gateway?
On your typical exchange box behind a firewall w/owa access, do you guys consider it a requirement to run file level anti-virus (excluding exchsrv mdbdata folder) as well as Gateway/smtp? Any other folders I should be excluding other than the exchange stores? Thx. tsc if you're going to run file-level AV on an Exchange server (not usually recommended), exclude ALL exchange directories... "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message news:419e7504$1_1@news.nucleus.com... > On your typical exchange box behind a firewall w/owa access, do you...

Prevent duplicate selection from combobox
Hi Groupies On my continuous subform, I would like to prevent the user from selecting the same item twice from the combo box. I have the following code in the Before Update event but it is not firing. If DCount("Product", "[Weights In]", "Product=" & Me.TICKET) > 0 Then MsgBox "Invalid Entry. Product already selected." Cancel = True End If For each ticket, they should only be able to pick the product once. Any help would be appreciated. -- Thanks for taking the time! CJ ------------------------------------------------...

N2K File Issue
I have an IBM ThinkPad x40 Windows XP SP1, Office 2003.... For some reason the user's N2K file keeps on getting corrupted (or so I think it's corrupted). I have recreated the profile and the N2K file several times but the user is still complaining that Outlook is not remembering external addresses that he has entered over time. Anyone ever seen or heard of this before?? HELP!! Thanks in advance... Dave Yes. Not sure what the answer is, the NK2 file may or may not be corrupted. We wrote a utility that will let you read the NK2 file. You needn't buy it to get some benefit. ...

Scattergraph
I'm trying to create a scattergraph in Excel 97. I have the data (the results of tests) in 2 columns. For example: A B 29.5 29 66.5 37 53.5 35 46 29 35.5 29 32 23 The problem is that I don't know how to do it! I've tried searching through Google but the answers I've found start at too complex a level for me. There are references to the chart component but I can only find downloads for 2000. Do I need it and is it available for 97? All help would be greatly appreciated. Sue Hi Sue, 1)Selec...

Question About Creating Precompiled Headers
I added an #include at the end of stdafx.h. All seemed to work well in debug mode. Then, when I switched to Release mode, I get a bunch of the following errors: MyFile.cpp(4) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open precompiled header file: 'Release/SCLib.pch': No such file or directory What am I supposed to do to tell VS to create the file? Thanks! -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message news:uUwbsJbkDHA.988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I added an #include at the end of stdafx.h. Al...

File association oddity
On my machine, I have both Office 2002 and 2003, which are loaded into different folders. Xls files I open from Windows Explorer open in Excel 2002. I changed the association to 2003, but something odd is now happening. Now, when I double-click an xls file from Windows Explorer, the correct Excel version opens (2003), but upon opening, it first alerts me it cannot find several other workbooks and I have to click OK to each. I think it's pulling them from an old recent used list or something. Anyway, the desired file finally opens after all that. Excel opens fine when I start it normally. ...

Using the isv.config file properly
I was trying to add a new entity navigation pane item to the Accounts entity so I created an isv.config file with the following contents... <configuration version="3.0.0000.0"> <Entities> <Entity name="account"> <NavBar> <NavBarItem Icon="/_imgs/ico_18_debug.gif" Title="Serial Numbers" Url="http://crmapps/SerialNumbers.aspx" Id="navAcctSerials" Area="Sales" /> </NavBar> </Entity> </Entities> </configuration> When I try to load CRM, it giv...