Dropdown Formatting

What does control the format of the dropdown options in data validation.  Especally if the dropdown is an indirect to another workbook? We are getting inconsistant results.
0
anonymous (74722)

Debra Dalgleish has some instructions at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html#Dynamic

(the other workbook is still open, right???)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Dropdown menu
How do I add a dropdown menu in my workbook? You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html keisha wrote: > How do I add a dropdown menu in my workbook? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Conditional Formating Problem
A large shreadsheet that I have compares the sum of individual payments in one worksheet to the sum of daily payments in another sheet. A cell has conditional fomating to turn red if the comparison is false and green if it is true. It has worked correctly for over a year and now a strange thing is happening. Even though the numbers are the same the cell is red. I have gone back and made sure the formating of the cell being compared were set to be currency with 2 places after the decimal point but no help. The really strange thing is that if I change the payment to a whole number or a num...

Newsletter format
I have newsletter--two paqe, front and back which is to be tri-folded and mailed. I did not find template for tri- fold but was overwhelmed by templates when searching so maybe I missed it. But I am doing my own newsletter. On front I used three columns for formating and set the grid lines for that. Now on the back I just want to use two columns for two thirds of page. Last third will have addresses and postage permit. Can I set up grids for second page and have separate grids set up for first page and how? Is there way to set grids to only go two-thirds way down? Thanks for any p...

Phone number formats
I just got an address list with phone numbers in different formats: (000) 000-0000 and 000-000-0000. I want to convert them all to one format. The format cells way does not seem to work and the search in this archive hasn't yielded any solutions. Can you take an existing list like this and convert it to a standard format? Thanks ahead for your help. Bill It's probably text, use edit>replace and replace - with nothing and then do it again and replace the parenthises with nothing, then use the special phone format or just replace the right parenthesis with - and the left ...

How do I create a dropdown within a dropdown?
I know how to create a dropdown list. On one or more of the items in that dropdown list, I would like to create another dropdown. How do I do this? The second list dependent on what was chosen in the first???? If you used Data|validation for your dropdown list, then you could visit Debra Dalgleish site: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html Joyce Keller wrote: > > I know how to create a dropdown list. > On one or more of the items in that dropdown list, I would like to create > another dropdown. > How do I do this? -- Dave Peterson ...

formatting #6
Hello, does anyone know how I can look at a cell without seeing a special character? I need to determine a length by subtracting one cell from another but the numbers in the cell are engineering stationing in the format xxx+xx.xx (300+45.10). I need to use this data to get the number 30045.10 to then subtract from another cell of the same type. With your sample entry in cell A1... Try this: B1: =--SUBSTITUTE(A1,"+","") If A1 contains 300+45.10 that formula returns 30045.1 Does that help? Post back if you have more questions. -------------------------- Regards, Ron...

Conditional format Formula -Duplicate & n/a
I am trying to do a conditional format formula to highlight duplicate results, but I have #n/a on some. Is there a way to write the formula to find all duplicates in 1 column, but ignore all #n/a values too? Thanks, BeckyB Use a custom function like =IF(ISNA(A1),FALSE,COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,A1)>1) Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft Most Valuable Professional, Excel, 1998 - 2010 Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:18:02 -0700, BeckyB <BeckyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to do a conditional format fo...

Question on Formats...
This ought to be quite simple to answer. Is it possible to format the contents of a combobox? On sheet1 I have text in cells A1 to A8 e.g A1 = John, A2 = Steve, A3 = Claire etc. I have a combobox on a chart that displays those names when I click the down arrow. The default is lower case, black lettering. Can I make the names appear in bold and green for example? I have tried modifying the original names but that makes no difference. If I right click the combobox and select <Format Control> I cannot see a way to format my data entries. Maybe you can't do it. And I want to ...

Excel Conditional Formatting?
Hi, I have our company IP address range in excel format. I want to do conditional formatting so I clearly see the different scopes. If I do conditional formatting so that 'If Cell', 'Is Between' '192.168.61.0' & '192.168.61.255' format colour as Red. Only a few of the IPs actually go red! i.e. 192.168.61.25 is red, but 192.168.61.27 isn't! Can anyone see why? Is this a bug? Cheers Ben Ben It works for me!! FYI I'm running XL2K and Win98SE Andy "Ben Blackmore" <bjblackmore@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3f65cdb4$0$2...

attachment formats #2
I tried to open an attachment that was excel but on outlook it tried to open as an pdf format. Any place to change that setting? Thanks On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 06:31:23 -0700, "JB" <penntool@zoominternet.net> wrote: >I tried to open an attachment that was excel but on >outlook it tried to open as an pdf format. Any place to >change that setting? Thanks I assume that you have verified the attachment you see has the green and white x icon of Excel, and that the file extention of the attachment is .xls - Correct? Can you open any other xls files by double clicking ...

Month Year Date Format
I need help! I have been working with ASP.NET and .NET win forms, and have not worked in Access for awhile, so Access coding is very rusty. I have a access 2003 db that someone else created, that needs a quick fix. There is a a main form and tabs with subforms. There are date fields on the subforms. On one of the date fields it looks like they have it storing just the month and year (no day) in the table. On the subform, from what I can tell someone changed from a textbox to a combobox. I need to change it back to a textbox with input mask. I have the input mask as 99/0000;0;_, but...

Exchange 2003 Internet Message Format Domain Policy not working???
All, Exchange 2003 SP1 In order to alleviate winmail.dat errors for recipients at one of our customers, I'm have configured a two new test domain policy within Global Settings/Internet Message Formats to force plain text for the domains (hotmail.com) or (gmail.com). Message Format tab: MIME, Provide message body as plain text Character sets: US ASCII Advanced tab: Exchange rich-text format: Never use Message text word wrap: Never Use Allow delivery reports: Checked Allow Non-delivery reports: Checked Default Domain policy still exists. When I send an email out (Outloo...

conditional formatting with a twist?
Hi, I often produce medium sized tables in excel where numbers with a value of less than 5 need to be suppressed, that is changed to a "-" symbol. I could make a copy of the table and use an if formula to to get the desired results, but this seems cumbersome. Is there anyway to cludge Excel 2003 to format values less than five a given value to a different symbol? Changing the font to white to supress the value is not sufficient. Thanks, Big D. Big, Try this custom number format (Format - Cells - Number tab - Custom): [<5]"-" ;General This won't change the unde...

Payables Checks Format in v9
We just upgrded to release 9. Data conversions went well, but, as usual, reports do not. The payables check (standard...not custom) does not print the amount in words correctly. It print $350.50 like this: Three Hundred Fifty 50 That is not acceptable. How do I fix this? Thanks, Ling ...

DropDown
Need to be able to enter first several letters of a name and have the dropdown pick them up as I type in the name. Had it on a demo worksheet in my "learn" files BUT lost it somewhere. Please refer me to where I can pick up some samples to use.. Thank You.. Ensure the AutoWordSelect property of the combobox is set to true (default) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS www.nickhodge.co.uk "jlmccabes" <jlmccabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:kLxeh.9601$yj1.496@tornado.tampabay.rr.com... &...

DropDown Buttons
Hi, I need to create a drop down button that will show a drop down menu when a user clicks it then allow the user to select an option from the dorp down menue. This needs to be a stand alone button that can be placed anywhere and not a menu button that must be part of a menu. Here is a link to an image of the type of button I am wanting to create http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/2304/dropdownbutton9cp.jpg If anyone has any suggestions or knows of any good resources please post them up. Thanks in advanced, Ryan One way is to bring up a popup window when the button is clicked. Try th...

Conditional Formatting on a Report
I have a report listing scores of tests taken, so an employee can have many test scores. I have already created a text box called txtCount so that only the two recent scores are displayed. What I want to see, if the most recent score is less than their previous score, to colour it red. Can I achieve this? I'm using 2003 Thanks Nigel I expect you need to get the two scores returned in the same record/row of the report's record source. This is typically accomplished with a subquery or similar. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Nigel" wrote: ...

CTX file format
Is anyone aware of an ISV product that will generate payables EFT in the CTX file format? ...

Counting conditional formatting
Re my earlier post, I am tring to fond a formula to count those cells that have been formatted by conditional formatting. On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:13:01 -0700, "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Re my earlier post, I am tring to fond a formula to count those cells that >have been formatted by conditional formatting. I have no idea what your earlier post was, as this post appears in a thread by itself. But to count those cells that have been formatted by conditional formatting, you will need to use the same formula that you used for the conditional form...

Auto dropdown
I would like the list of a combobox to dropdown when the form (where the combox is in) is opened. How can I do that? Thanks, John On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:33:18 +0100, John wrote: > I would like the list of a combobox to dropdown when the form (where the > combox is in) is opened. > How can I do that? > Thanks, > John Only when the form is first opened? Code the form's Load event: Me.ComboName.SetFocus Me.ComboName.Dropdown -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail Please ignore, I found the solution: Me!<<ComboName>...

Mergefield format for date and percentage
I have a Publisher 2003 catalog merge that receives its data from an Access 2003 database. Everything works fine except when it comes to date fields and percentage fields. Regardless of how I format the Access data, when it appears in the Publisher document it is stubbornly in "USA" format. In UK, 9/11 means 9th November, NOT September 11th so it causes much confusion! Percents show as numbers [100% appears as "1" and 1.00%. as ".01". Access works perfectly and so do all the other Office products so it is not a question of computer settings. I enc...

Dropdowns
I am using Office 2000 on a windows 2000 machine. Can you tell me how to create a dropdown with choices for a cell. I want to put choices such as water, lightning, roof, hail, etc. in addition to having a dropdown to open i would like the option of just typing in the first letter and having a choice come up. thank you janice Hi You are looking for Data / Validation. Using this you can set ceratin criteria (whole numbe, date, time etc) or you create a list (or use an existing one) -- Andy. "Janice" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2699...

Validating a string is in Xml format without doing a try{ XmlDocument.Load(.......
The title says it all. Is there a speed efficient way of validating that a string contains valid Xml without the overhead of try catch around a load attempt? Thanks in advance. Paul wrote: > Is there a speed efficient way of validating that a string contains > valid Xml without > the overhead of try catch around a load attempt? Reading your string with markup through an XmlReader (over a StringReader) checks for well-formedness, if you want to validate too you need to use XmlReaderSettings and set up the schemas first. There is no need to use XmlDocument, you only need that i...

Conditional Formats #2
I have a colum with percents that have a conditional format on each one The conditional format is set to turn red if it is outside th specified range, or stay green if it is acceptable. The cel undernieth this range of percents equals 100%. Is it possible to put conditional format on the cell that equals 100%, that if any of th above percents are red, then the 100% will turn red as well??? Or eve lets say a picture (circle) beside my 100% that will change with th above condition?? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi! A simple thought: you seem to be interested i...

Change colour of 'hidden formatting symbols'
Hi group, is it possible to change the colur of the hidden formatting symbols so that they are contrasted to the normal text? Cheers -Ralf There is no practical way, no. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "ralf.schaa" <ralf.schaa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4e8af37e-6dc6-4924-ad7a-7ecd98d6b6a1@j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > Hi group, > > is it possible to change the colur of the hidden formatting symbols so > that they are contrasted to the normal text? > >...