Drop down boxes AND free text?

All,

Is it possible to create drop-down boxes within Excel AND allow user
to input free text when the choice is not available?

I know this seems to violate the idea of "validating".

What I'm trying to do is provide my users with a fairly complete lis
of manufacturers from which we can buy. However, I cannot completel
predict 100% of the manufacturers we'll ever use.

HELP

why don't you let them add to the list of manufacturers?

check out http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm - Add item to combo
box using OnNotinList event

for one (quite useful) method

Cheers
JulieD

"cpm1358 >" <<cpm1358.12g5r8@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> Is it possible to create drop-down boxes within Excel AND allow users
> to input free text when the choice is not available?
>
> I know this seems to violate the idea of "validating".
>
> What I'm trying to do is provide my users with a fairly complete list
> of manufacturers from which we can buy. However, I cannot completely
> predict 100% of the manufacturers we'll ever use.
>
> HELP.
>

> ---

julied_ng (25)
3/1/2004 4:12:35 PM
sorry scrub my last reply - forgot what program i was playing with :)

in Excel - if you're using Data / Validation to provide the drop down list -
on the error alert tab, change the type from STOP to INFORMATION or WARNING
as applicable.

Cheers
JulieD

"cpm1358 >" <<cpm1358.12g5r8@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> Is it possible to create drop-down boxes within Excel AND allow users
> to input free text when the choice is not available?
>
> I know this seems to violate the idea of "validating".
>
> What I'm trying to do is provide my users with a fairly complete list
> of manufacturers from which we can buy. However, I cannot completely
> predict 100% of the manufacturers we'll ever use.
>
> HELP.
>

> ---

julied_ng (25)
3/1/2004 4:14:06 PM
Julie,

Thanks for the input.

I figured out a "work around": I've left the first cell in my validate
list EMPTY.  This way my users have the best of both worlds.

Regards

drag and drop
Using office XP I cannot drag and drop items from one folder to another in outlook 2002. Any ideas? Thanks ...

Combo Box Problem
Hi friends can anyone tell me how i can add a string to combo box runtime . i have used one editbox and one combo box in my program. i need to insert string of edit box in combo box when user clicks on button. i have tried to used getdlgitem method but i was failed then i try to use member variable of combobox "CComboBox m_c;" and try to add string by m_c.AddString(m_e) [m_e is member variable of textbox]but it didnt work so plz tell me how i can here is my program UpdateData(1); m_c.AddString(m_e); but it didn't work then i try getdlgitem UpdateData(1); CComboBox *c...

Center label text vertically?
Is there any way to automatically center the text of each label in Word vertically as opposed to horizontally? I am using the general Label option, not mail merge. In most versions of Word, labels are vertically centered by default. If yours are not centering, make sure you don't have extraneous empty paragraphs. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "AKMMS" <AKMMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF359D31-0EAB-416B-8691-FA141E317224@microsoft.com... > Is there any ...

Drop Down List #9
I am trying to create a drop down list using two worksheets. How would I create this. One sheet would where the final product is and the other would be where the data is being kept. Watch this 5 min video: How to setup a data validation drop down list: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2OsWJijrOM -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Vincent Kerzman" <Vincent Kerzman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2DAA48B-0BD2-4932-AE91-B86D55B8D8A6@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a drop down list using two worksheets. How would I > create this. > > One s...

How to change digits in text file
Hello :) It is my first time on this newsgroup, I hope I will find some help here. My boss asked me if I would be able to do the following task. Well, I am unable to do it, but I wonder if it is easy for a decent VBScript programmer to accomplish. Although it has not to be written in VBScript, it was the first thing on my mind, because it can be run on any Windows XP machine without installing additional software. Tell me what you guys think. Is it a good choice for doing such a task? I hope I got the following algorithm right, since I am not a programmer... Well, I...

Drag and drop of eMail to own application
Hi everybody, i like to drag and drop an eMail of Outlook ( Express & Xp ) and Thunderbird into my own application ( MFC ). There'in the dropped eMail should be readed and the subject, body text, Recepiant, ... should be displayed into textboxes. I can check the different formats of the Drag-Event or Clipboard data. An Outlook Express mail is stored in plaintext into the clipboard, so it's seriously possible to extract it. But with Outlook XP Mails i see only the name of a .eml file ( the of file which would be saved on the Destop for example ) But how to extract the data? Do...

drop down calendar #4
In a cell I want to have a drop down calendar of the current month. I downloaded a template of a calendar and tried data valadation but it only displayed the source range. Any ideas? TIA http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/04/27/excelhacks.html "Ray A" wrote: > In a cell I want to have a drop down calendar of the current month. I > downloaded a template of a calendar and tried data valadation but it only > displayed the source range. Any ideas? > TIA > Ray See Ron de Bruin's site for this. http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm Gord D...

drop down data want to choose more than one item for cell
I have a drop down box that i want folks to be able to choose more than one item from the box to go into the cell. Multiselect from a DV dropdown is possible using VBA. See Debra Dalgleish's site for a downloadable sample workbook with event code. http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0017 Note that you can have the selections in an adjacent cell or in the same cell. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:40:08 -0800, FranW <FranW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a drop down box that i want folks to be able to choose more than...

can i create a modalless dialog Box in the worker thread.
hi guys, is it possible to create a modalless dialog box in the worker thread, actually we have try this but we got error that is" you cannot create object with new operator in the worker thread " but i don't know what is the actual reason behind this. actually i am trying to create a modalless dialog box from main dialog box and i want to perform openGL programing on both the dialog box in such a manner so that they do not collapse or crash each other because at one time only one rendering device context should reside in the memory if we want to create more then one device con...

numbers as text
Using Excel 2007 I have entered a long numeric string (a bank account number) as text. The entire Excel worksheet is then saved as a .csv file. The file is closed. When the file is reopened, the long numeric string has been converted to a scientific format (1.45684E+11) which can be converted again to text but will not keep that format during the save process. The bank is requiring the file to be saved in .csv format, so I don't have the option of saving in Excel format. Any suggestions???? On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:03:38 -0600, "BK" <nospam@nospam.co...

Drop Down List #2
Hi All Can this be done, as I am struggling. I have data in sheet B and want to create a drop down list in sheet A from this data, and I can't make it happen, I can create a drop down list in sheet A from data in sheet A but not from sheet B Could anyone help please Cheers Steve Name the range on the other sheet, and you can refer to it in the data validation dialog box. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Steve wrote: > I have data in sheet B and want to create a drop down list in sheet A from > this data, and I can't make it h...

Multiple Check Boxes in Form
Hello All, I need advice on how to setup a form with multiple check boxes correctly. I have created a table that houses most of the data but I want each check box to be linked to a specific ID. However, there will be multiple check boxes linked to 1 ID. Can someone give me direction as to how I can achieve this? Thanks, Tammy Watts You said nothing about your table structure. What are the field names and datatype? When you same 'linked to a specific ID' do you mean a unique record? -- Build a little, test a little. "MsWatts" wrote: > H...

Question of drop-down listbox
Hello, Is it possible to have listbox or combobox with Auto HScroll (ES_AUTOHSCROLL) capabilities. Thank You! I don't get it. ES_AUTOHSCROLL is an Edit control style, how would it apply to a listbox or combobox? What are you trying to do? AliR. "Ririko Horvath" <horvathr@securemethods.com> wrote in message news:uHUo%23OyLFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is it possible to have listbox or combobox with Auto HScroll > (ES_AUTOHSCROLL) capabilities. > > Thank You! > > I'm soory for not expressing my question properly...

graphic over text
I want to place a graphic box over a text box. When I put the graphic on top, the text inside the box spreads out. Picture someone physically making a stamp on top of text - that is the look I want to achieve. I want the text below to be blocked out - but not moved - by the graphic that sits on top of it. Hope this is clear - and I'm sure the answer is simple. I've looked, but don't have the right way to ask in the help files. Thanks! -- ljb I just found it! Format Picture, Wrapping Style - NONE. Thanks anyway. This is a great forum. -- ljb "ljb" wrote: >...

reporting on drop-down values
We created drop-downs and wish to add the values to a report, but of course the extentionbase tables only show the numbers. Is there a specific table where all the actual text values are stored? Hi use the stringmaps table to get the description of picklist values. I hope it helps. -- Singh http://mscrmshop.blogspot.com MSCRM Consultant Orion Enterprise Sydney "TheWkndr" wrote: > We created drop-downs and wish to add the values to a report, but of course > the extentionbase tables only show the numbers. Is there a specific table > where all the actual text values a...

Legend Key Box
Is it possible to resize a legend key box to blow up the size and make more visible ? Yes. Select it and it will show size handles which you can grab and use to stretch the box. -- David Biddulph "tara" <tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C3A07FF-F910-4E09-9489-ED11EFF87529@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to resize a legend key box to blow up the size and make > more > visible > ? The size of the legend key varies with the font size of the legend entries. There is no way to increase the legend key's size while keeping the legen...

List Box to show your Order
At the Moment I have a query that lists my Horses on my form I have a Text box next to each horse so depending what number I put in my text Box gives me a Printing Order, This is for Printing Worksheets, What I am trying to Achieve is say to list Boxes and you highlight a Horse a click the arrow to send it to another Listbox on the same form then print the Order in list Box2, Once you select a record and click it to List Box 2 it disappears from list box 1, Any Ideas how to start this? -- Thanks in advance for any help with this......Bob MS Access 2007 accdb Windows XP Home...

Drop user or alias before dropping login
I am trying to delete a user, and I get this error: Login is aliased or mapped to a user in one or more databases. Drop the user or alias before dropping the login. Any advice? Hi Caroline, GO to SQL server --> logins and select the user and open check the properties of the login and see what database access the users has. If any uncheck all the database access and drop the user. Also make sure from the GP front end you have unchecked the company access too. If still you get errors go to each database on the server and make sure they are not in the users list in the databases. ...

linking text
I would like to link the entries in the table of context to their respective pages. In other words, one could click on the article they'd like to read and it will bring them right to that page. Is that possible in Publisher without making separate text boxes for each item in the TOC? I'd appreciate any ideas! Thanks! Shannon ...

converting text to formulas
Greetings, Is there a way to convert text to a formula? I have a pattern of data that I am trying to convert to formulas. In one column I have a pattern of A,A,A,A,B,B,B,B,C,C.... In the next column I have numbers 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,... Using the concatenate function I can generate a column of =A1,=A2,=A3,=A4,=B1,=B2.... but this is just text. I really am trying to generate the values that these cell references would represent. The goal is to present the DATA from cell A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2...all in a long list. Does this make sense? Can this be done? Thanks a ton for your help! ...

Search combo boxes
I am trying to use a form as a search form and to update records based on two combo boxes but I am running into issues. Using help on other posts here, I was able to get the combo boxes to work, or so I thought. The initial entry gives me the correct results but then I can page down and scroll through all the records in the form's record source. This is the code I have used on the Update event of the second combo box: Private Sub cboBLNum_AfterUpdate() With Me.RecordsetClone .FindFirst "[LoadNum] = " & Me!cboLoadNum & _ ...

Message box shadow
I have a spreadsheet that when a macro displays a message box and one moves the message box by clicking on it with the mouse and dragging it across the screen it leaves a trail of hundreds of message boxes behind it. Does anyone know what causes this and how I can prevent this happening. -- with kind regards Spike Hi Spike, I have seen this behavior, it is not a error in your macro! The reason might be that the video cart can not cope with the changes. Upgarde the hardware or add some memory to the videocard and the problem could be solved. HTH, Wouter I have disco...

Drop down list 04-23-10
How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? You can't. Perhaps you've seen the button created from a AutoFilter ot PivotTable? -- Best Regards, Luke M "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F248BA68-6874-4712-876D-CF2890DD0BF1@microsoft.com... > How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? Use a combo box from the Forms toolbar. The drop down arrow is always visible. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Displaying the contents of a query cell in a text box in my form
Hi everyone! I have a question, and it most likely a simple solution, but is giving me fits here. I have a form, and oh what a form it is. Everything works like a charm. BUT... On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:22:46 GMT, chris23892 wrote: > Hi everyone! I have a question, and it most likely a simple solution, but is > giving me fits here. > > I have a form, and oh what a form it is. Everything works like a charm. BUT... I'll see your but and raise you two! -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail well, that was helpful...... fredg wrote: &g...

combo box 01-31-08
Thank you I have combo box Control Source= Row source type= table \query row source = SELECT tblClient.IDClient FROM tblClient; I want if the user type one of the IdClient in the combo box message box appear ("the number you type already exists" ) I don't get the point. If you'll creating the one as you stated below you're creating another table which same as your table source. and of course if you have a creating a source like below all the content of combo box were exist. I suggest you to make a primary key for the uniqueness of every record. a wrote: &g...