Dragging to select multiple rows causes out of control scroll

When I select a number of rows by click and drag method, the rows scroll by
too fast to control. Is there a way to slow down this scrolling?
0
ronlee67 (3)

"ronlee67" <ronlee67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I select a number of rows by click and drag method, the rows scroll
> by
> too fast to control. Is there a way to slow down this scrolling?

Hi Roplee67,

You can change the scroll speed of your mouse:

    Start | Control Panel  | Mouse | Wheel | Scrolling

Depending on your OS version, access to the Mouse settings may be via the
'Printers and Other Hardware' Control Panel option.

---
Regards,
Norman

0
normanjones (1047)
6/17/2005 5:31:22 AM
The scroll settings is already set to it's slowest setting. I did go back and
checked the mouse settings but could make no improvement.

This problem occurs only in Excel. To clarify a bit, if I try to select
several rows by clicking on the top desired row and dragging down to include
more rows in the selection, when I get to the bottom 'displayed row' and drag
below that (off screen) the rows below automatically are pulled up into the
display. When that occurs, the scrolling speeds up to some astronomical speed
so that I can't control where it stops.

i.e. If my normal display shows 40 rows per screen, and I try to select rows
1 thru 60, I select row 1, click and drag downward, when I get to row 41 I
loose control as rows 41 through 60 and beyond move up into view.

I'm not sure this is technically "scrolling" as it is pulling rows into view
as a drag down. The scroll bars are not involved in this procedure.

Ron
"ronlee67" wrote:

> When I select a number of rows by click and drag method, the rows scroll by
> too fast to control. Is there a way to slow down this scrolling?
0
ronlee67 (3)
6/17/2005 4:58:12 PM
This is a very common problem.  To get around it, you can select the
first row as you normally do with the mouse.  Then, hold the shift key
and press the down arrow until you have highlighted the rows you want.
The arrow key is much easier to control and doesn't fly off on you.

Try Ctrl+Shift+ down arrow.  It takes you to the end of your data.
This works for highlight cells (not just rows) also.

--
yesac142
yesac142's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24391

Hi Ronlee67,

The further you drag off screen, the faster the scroll speed. If your
intention is only to scroll a small distance below the visible data, drag
your mouse pointer just to the status bar. Operating in this manner, your
scroll should be easily controllable.

--
Regards,
Norman

> The scroll settings is already set to it's slowest setting. I did go back
> and
> checked the mouse settings but could make no improvement.
>
> This problem occurs only in Excel. To clarify a bit, if I try to select
> several rows by clicking on the top desired row and dragging down to
> include
> more rows in the selection, when I get to the bottom 'displayed row' and
> drag
> below that (off screen) the rows below automatically are pulled up into
> the
> display. When that occurs, the scrolling speeds up to some astronomical
> speed
> so that I can't control where it stops.
>
> i.e. If my normal display shows 40 rows per screen, and I try to select
> rows
> 1 thru 60, I select row 1, click and drag downward, when I get to row 41 I
> loose control as rows 41 through 60 and beyond move up into view.
>
> I'm not sure this is technically "scrolling" as it is pulling rows into
> view
> as a drag down. The scroll bars are not involved in this procedure.
>
> Ron
> "ronlee67" wrote:
>
>> When I select a number of rows by click and drag method, the rows scroll
>> by
>> too fast to control. Is there a way to slow down this scrolling?

0
normanjones (1047)
6/17/2005 5:25:04 PM
Yesac142 Your idea works best for me. Thank you!
Norman Jones: Thanks for your ideas. Your methods worked for me in years
past, but with newer, faster computers the scrolling gets out of control for
me. I always had some problem with this, even with slow computers, but
keeping the cursor just above the task bar used to work for me too. Not any
more.

I hadn't thought about yesac142's method until he brought it up and it seems
to be a good workaround. I'm also using Excel 2000 which might be part of the
problem. Perhaps newer versions provide for slower dragging. Hope so. Will be
upgrading soon.

Thanks to both of you!

Ron

"yesac142" wrote:

> This is a very common problem.  To get around it, you can select the
> first row as you normally do with the mouse.  Then, hold the shift key
> and press the down arrow until you have highlighted the rows you want.
> The arrow key is much easier to control and doesn't fly off on you.
>
> Try Ctrl+Shift+ down arrow.  It takes you to the end of your data.
> This works for highlight cells (not just rows) also.
>

> --
> yesac142
> yesac142's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24391
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=379988

0
ronlee67 (3)

Drag and drop with CRichEditCtrl
I have an application that makes heavy use of the rich edit control. One of the things I needed to do was to customize text when it is pasted or dropped onto the rich edit control. This wasn't too hard to do: I have an object implementing IRichEditOleCallback attached to the rich edit, and in the QueryAcceptData() method I modify the data as needed before adding it to the control. My problem comes with drag and drop, specifically with the "move" drop operation. Following the MSDN documentation, my QueryAcceptData() method returns S_FALSE to indicate that it's processed the d...

Drag n' Drop emails to a Java application
Hi, We are developing a Java application where we want to import information received in e-mails. The email client are Outlook 2003 (at least for now). The best way would be to be able to drag the e-mail to the Java app and then access/parse the e-mail in the Java app. I have searched the web but can not find anything useful. Do I have to use COM and/or OLE for doing such operations? Please help me!! Best Regards Joacim ...

Inserting rows #9
I copied a 2004 spreadsheet to use for 2005, the new will not let me insert rows, the orig. did. Could I have done wrong,in the copying. I am not aware of different copying methods. Did I use A wrong format?. I have read a great deal on this to no resolve. Can someone help me? -- Eddie97 What message do you get when trying to add a row? Is its message saying that Excel will not shift data off the sheet, or does it ask for a password? For the former, hit Ctrl and End together and note the last used cell in the sheet. DELETE, not 'Clear Contents ' all rows below that row, save the...

cannot create outlook profile under control panel->Mail
Hi all. I had a problem creating an Outlook profile. I was referred to creat such outlook profile under Control Panel -> Mail. I can see that I don't have any profile there. The list of profiles is empty. So I click on the "Add" button and tried to create a new one. But the "Add" button is not responding at all, nothing is done. Please help. Thank you. Jake. Tried a reapir on Office already? Insert the CD, start setup and choose the repair option -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons ...

Multiple Variables in Conditional Formatting with Excel 2003
Need to created a Conditional formatting for the following: Cells in rows J, R and Z contain data that needs the condition applied to. Want to format the above cells with the following criteria: The below is the criteria based on what percentage these values are off of the average value of these 3 cells -20% to 20% Green -30% to -20% and 20% to 30% Yellow Less than -30% and Greater than 30% Red I am able to perform this conditional formatting on a cell by cell basis with the following: Condition 1: Cell Value is Between -1.2*AC2 and 1.2*AC2 is Green Cell Value is Between -1.2*A...

Selecting all text for formatting
I was just wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to select all the text in all text boxes in Publisher, so as the font can be formatted. I've just drawn a diagram (network schematic) with some 70 or 80 text boxes, and discovered that I need more space. I have tried hitting Ctrl-A but this won't let me change any font settings, I've also tried using "Ctrl-Click" to select only the text boxes and not the adjoining lines, also to no avail. The closest I've managed si the format paster which also pastes the borders/colours etc. of the text box itself. Publisher ...

How to find number of selected files in CFileDialog
hi friends, if any one can tell me how to find the no. of selected files in CFiledialog before traversing the whole list of filename through POSITION data structure. Regards ravi in short, no. But why not just traverse the list once keeping a count then traverse again and do whatever you need to with the selections. I presume you need the total in order to prime some other variable. BTW if you're worried about the overhead of traversing twice, forget it. In comparison to the time it took the user to click on the files its' miniscule. Even compared to the time it took for ...

Another multiple criteria/column question
Ok, first post and pretty much a new user to Excel. I have two sheets that I am working with, trying to recall data from one to the other that meets criteria. In a nutshell: Sheet 1 contains a column of unique values (col A), cols C,D, and E are where I want to insert the formula to find data on Sheet 2. Sheet 2 contains 4 columns, A contains multiple occurrences of each value (from Sheet1, column A), each with its own timestamp in column D. On Sheet1, in column C, I want to find a value on Sheet2 in column A and return the timestamp in column D. I know I can use VLOOKUP for this. =VLO...

Upload Multiple Files Failure
Hi All, when I try to upload multiple file to a SharePoint Doc Library I get the following error: Cannot run Windows SharePoint Service on this page: "https:// intranet.domain.com/Site/DocLib/Forms/Upload.aspx The SharePoint Deployment is with an ISA server (not sure if this can affect anything....) I can Upload a single file, but not multiple... Any suggestion??? thanks All Vit ...

Hiding Rows within a range.
Hi all, Back again with another Q. Is it possible to create a macro or something so that when you print, it will autmoatically hide rows within a certain rage when a column's value = 0. Example. A price list with 5 rows (rows 13 - 17). Column A is the "Quantity" value. We're only ordering two things from this list (on row 14 & 16). So I want to hide all the other rows within the 13 - 17 range where Column A quantity vaule is equl to 0 so that it only prints what we're buying. Thanks again for the help. Bob something like this should work Sub printsal...

Currently selected signature disappearing
Hi everyone, I have a very strange problem and I have no idea how to Google this. I am a network administrator. Our network is Win2K3 and WinXP. One of my servers is a terminal server running in application mode with a 5-user license. We use this with some Wyse thin-clients as well as for remote access. We are using Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 for email. My users all have roaming profiles. They can login on any machine and their desktop, settings, email and files follow them around. This works perfectly. However if I do the following: 1) Log into a Windows XP workstation. ...

Auto fill multiple sections with different names
I have weekly time broken down by category, however, only the total line has the corresponding names. How do i fill the above cells with the corresponding name on the total line. For example(where blank insert last name on total line) Col A Col D blank wk27 blank wk28 blank wk29 blank wk30 Smith Total blank wk27 blank wk28 blank wk29 johnson Total thanks Try this: 1. Select the cells in column A 2. Press F5 3. Select 'Blanks...

dragging array UDFs
Hi I built an array function and it is working well. However when I dra it to other cel regions I got the message "VALUE". The exact formul and the code is below. Thanks for any help. Eduardo Exact formula: {=samLMR(B5:B20;0;0)} Code: x is a sorted array. Public Function samLMR(x As Variant, Optional a As Double = 0# Optional b As Double = 0#) As Variant Dim xmom() As Double Dim xm() As Double Dim sum(8) As Double Dim R As Integer Dim C As Integer Dim ReturnColumn As Boolean R = Selection.Rows.Count C = Selection.Columns.Count n = x.Count n = n - nfails If R < C Then nm...

My Drag Image Flickers
Hi guys, My drag image flickers, I understand the cause of this (I think) but I don't know how to fix it. I use this to auto-scroll during a drag and drop: // in OnTimer() m_pDragImage->DragShowNolock(FALSE); SendMessage(WM_VSCROLL,MAKEWPARAM(SB_LINEDOWN,0),NULL); m_pDragImage->DragShowNolock(TRUE); So since I'm hiding it, then showing it again, it flickers. Can I fix this ? Thanks, Robert A. ...

Multiple excel spreadsheets only show up once on taskbar
We are running Windows XP and Office 2000 and when you open mulitple word docs they show up in the taskbar once but when you put your mouse over that taskbar item a menu appears and shows all the word docs that are currently open. However, when you have multiple excel spreadsheets open, excel is on the taskbar but there is no menu popping up to show the various spreadsheets. Go to Tools>Options. In the General Tab, look for a checkbox for Windows in Taskbar and check it. This will now show all open spreadsheets in the taskbar. HTH -- Michael J. Malinsky "Joy" <...

Multiple bulk operation processes causes duplication
when a quick campaign is run it creates duplicated activities. the following code reveals Select * from wfprocess where entitytype = 4406 that there is actually more than one bulk process being triggered. any help on how to resolve this? -- IT Manager ...

filling down or pasting into multiple fields in table entry
Hi all. Hope you can help. I occasionally need to enter info directly into a table. However, when I do, I would like to enter the same value into a large number of fields. It would be nice if I could: copy, highlight the top, say - 50 fields in a column, and then paste the value into all of them in one stroke. However, Access 2003 doesn't allow this. It just puts the value into the first field. Is there a simple way of doing this? Thanks very much - in advance. H. -- Pontins History E-Mail: usenet@pontinshistory.co.uk Please visit www.pontinshistory.co.uk Skype ID (instant messaging ...

select e-mail account for sending message
Hello, I am using Outlook 2007 and 3 e-mail accounts. Is there a way to get Outlook to prompt for which account I want to use to send a message? -- Thanks, Bob BBran <bbran@nowhere.com> wrote: > I am using Outlook 2007 and 3 e-mail accounts. Is there a way to get > Outlook to prompt for which account I want to use to send a message? Isn't it more efficient simply to choose it with the Accounts button? -- Brian Tillman Or assign a searate signature for each account and make one the default? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to ke...

Multiple Account Download from One Financial Instituition
Hi, I have at one brokerage mutliple accounts (individual, joint, 401K, roll-over etc). In Money they are all separate accounts. When I connect with the brokerage I am only able to connect to one type of account (in this case retirement). How can I download multiple accounts from a brokerage (when not all have the same URL). Please email me your reply. Thanks Sandeep ...

missing cell rows (jumps from 2 directly to 9)
I wonder why a excel file I received have some rows invisible. It jumps directly from 2 to 9 and no 3 to 8? It's not hidden as hide is grayed. Thanks, It could mean that the worksheet is filtered. Do you see arrows on any of the "header" cells (row 1???) Look at the row numbers. Are they grey or blue? If they're blue, it's autofilter. Try this (xl2003 menus): Data|Filter|show all I'm not sure what "hide is grayed" means, but if it's not autofilter, then try this next. F5 (same as Edit|goto) type: 1:65536 and hit enter Then ...

Selecting rows to display
I have a spreadsheet with approx 200 rows. One of the columns displays a figure between 25 and 60 on each row. need to simply view the rows with figures over 50 either by running report or filtering the numbers. Any ideas ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try an AutoFilter (Data > Filter > AutoFilter). Select "Custom" in the drop down box for that column and specify greater than 50. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message---...

Insert Rows into an existing array
I have a spreadsheet with a series of formulas in various columns. I now want to insert more rows that will follow the formula rules of the existing columns. How do I overcome the message "you cannot change part of an array"? Thanks in advance Pav, Go to the cells that have the array entered formula, select them, enter edit mode (when the first cell is the active cell), press home, and insert a single quote, then press Ctrl-Enter (not Ctrl0Shift-Enter). Do this for all multi-cell array formulas. Then insert your rows, then reselect the cells (plus extra for the newly inserted ...

Drag and Drop Emails
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Email Client: Exchange Within entourage, when I drag and drop an email from my inbox to another folder, it &quot;copy/pastes&quot; it instead of moving it permanently so it stays in the original location where I was trying to move it from. Seems the only way around this is to right click on the email and select &quot;Move to&quot; and then select a folder (but I have dozens of folders and this is not quick at all). <br><br>Is there a way to change my settings so when I drag and drop emails, it's a &am...

How to insert icon into control list
I'm going to list keys of a configuration file into a control list so it should have a column as icon. Since every key has an attribute (e.g. system key, non-system and ... ) so I like to insert an icon for each key in regard with its attribute. any comments on this? Regards, At first You can set ImageList to that ListView Ctrl.. then when you put some item into the list, you might use LVITEM struncture.. There is iImage member in that structure.. You can set what Image you wanna put.. depending on its attribute.. "JSmith" <jsmithmitra@yahoo.com> wrote in message ne...

Convert multiple rows of text into columns...
I have rows of text and figures that I need to separate into columns. Excel 2003 will only let me do one row at a time. Is there an add-on that will allow me to convert multiple rows? Thanks. silas silas There are various methods.....worksheet functions or macros. If we had a representative sample of your data layout and what you want done with it we could make a better decision. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:32:23 -0600, "silas" <silas.NOSPAMprophet@gmail.com> wrote: >I have rows of text and figures that I need to separate into columns. Excel...