double clicking icon no longer opens worksheet

Suddenly double clicking the file icon opens Excel with no worksheet and the data doesn't load (application has been used for over a year; failure to successfully open began about a week ago).  We have Windows XP with Office XP.  Word documents successfully open by double clicking the icon.  Files can be opened using the Open command within Excel, but not through a file shortcut nor through Windows Explorer.  Does anyone have any thoughts?
0
anonymous (74722)

If you are talking about a desktop icon. I just made another one by right
click on desktop>new>shortcut>browse>to

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE"

"Sharon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Suddenly double clicking the file icon opens Excel with no worksheet and
the data doesn't load (application has been used for over a year; failure to
successfully open began about a week ago).  We have Windows XP with Office
XP.  Word documents successfully open by double clicking the icon.  Files
can be opened using the Open command within Excel, but not through a file
shortcut nor through Windows Explorer.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

0
Don
11/5/2003 6:12:31 PM
Try this Sharon

Tools>Options>General  uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

On the Windows Taskbar
Close Excel
Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1  XL2002 SP-2)

"Sharon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CCB4F47-6749-469F-8CB8-125F20C3005D@microsoft.com...
> Suddenly double clicking the file icon opens Excel with no worksheet and the data doesn't load (application has been used for
over a year; failure to successfully open began about a week ago).  We have Windows XP with Office XP.  Word documents
successfully open by double clicking the icon.  Files can be opened using the Open command within Excel, but not through a file
shortcut nor through Windows Explorer.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

0
rondebruin (3789)
11/5/2003 6:21:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Ron ... the suggestion to uncheck "Ignore other Applications" seems to work.
0
anonymous (74722)

double quotes
Hello, Because of limitations in my finance program, I'll periodically export the data to a text file, import the text file to Excel, where I manipulate the data as required. I then reverse the steps, saving the Excel file as text, then import the new text file back to my finance program. It all works Ok except for one thing - the amounts are stored in the program with a T in front, e.g., 100.00 would be T100.00. The problem is with larger amounts that involve a comma, such as 1,000.00 which would be T1,000.00. Excel insists on saving it with double quotes around it, "T1,000.00&q...

How do I open word 2.0 files in word 2007?
What's the best way for a novice home user to open his Word 2.0 file in Word 2007? Word 2007 will not allow me to open them! See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849. On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 07:13:02 -0800, Word Help!! <Word Help!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What's the best way for a novice home user to open his Word 2.0 file in Word >2007? > >Word 2007 will not allow me to open them! -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so ...

Double email
Keep getting duplicate email? No where to find out how to change that, nothing in options or custom. Nothing in your post to help anyone try to help you. Version of Outlook? Type of account? How many? Did this always happen? When did it start? What did you change just before it started happening? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Barbra <b.kostka@att.net> asked: | Keep getting duplicate email? No where to find out how to | change that, nothing in options or cu...

clicker that advances one number per click in a cell
Hi, I'm new to the newsgroup. I hope that someone can help me with a small challenge. After reading the through the help sections, I just can't figure it out. How can I add a "clicker", where every time that I click on a button on a sheet, a cell advances 1 number? My gut feeling is that this is not a simple usage of a formula, but, then maybe there is one? Please help. Thanks for your help. Rayco See reply in .Misc Biff "Rayco" <raycotf@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bc16d$42f59851$d85678fd$6680@PRIMUS.CA... > Hi, > > I'm new to...

Linking worksheets and formulas
the is Kimmer again, got past the other mess now I cant get past then wanting to modify formula in sections worksheets based on data obtained from my grading criteria worksheet. A9 B9 Exam type Weight A10 B10 Exam1 25% Exam2 25% Final 50% they want you to change exam 1 to 15% and final to 60%. I did this manually. Then they want you to get the crieteria from B10:B12. Original formula in Column E of sections worksheets is =SUM(B2*0.25+C2*0.25+D2*0.50) I did what my boo...

No Task bar, no start button, no icons, nothing but wallpaper
When I boot the computer, it brings me to user profile page that displays correctly. When I chose a profile loads and the screen is blank other than the desktop wallpaper. No Task bar, start button, icons, nothing but wallpaper. The only way to access the system is through control-alt-delete and choose "new task". From new task I can access all programs, even can choose desktop and it shows the desktop icons that you can open. I tried reloading Win XP Home Edition but get a message that there isn't enough disk space. I tried Disk Claen-up and Disk Defrag but it d...

Opening Excel to a particular worksheet
Hello, I have created a spreadsheet for a number of users to access. I would like the spreadsheet to open on a particular worksheet every time no matter where it is saved. The Worksheet that I would like to have as the default page acts as a coversheet and has hyperlinks to other input & savings worksheets. Can someone please tell me how to open my spreadsheet up at the 1 default worksheet every time. Is it a macro or is it the way the shortcut is written? If it is one of the above, how can I accomplish my goal? Hi Aaron! Try: In the VBA editor double click on 'ThisWorkboo...

WLM sending duplicate (double) emails
I have an annoying issue with WLM version 14.0.8089.0726 running on W7. Sometimes I send a mail from my MSN.com account and it sits in my Outbox for hours until I close WLM and then reopen it. This results in the mails in the Outbox being sent twice; in the "Account" column for one message it says my MSN mailbox name, and on the duplicate message the "Account" column is blank. Is anyone else having this issue? In Tools|Options on the Send tab, is the "Send messages immediately" box checked? -- Patrick P. www.boydcomputersvcs.com "...

CTabCtrl toggle icons
As the title reads. I have a tab control where each tab shows an icon (+text). I would like to be able to toggle the icons at will (so that all are shown or hidden). Any thoughts? On May 9, 3:46=A0pm, Alexander <the44s...@yahoo.com> wrote: > As the title reads. I have a tab control where each tab shows an icon > (+text). I would like to be able to toggle the icons at will (so that > all are shown or hidden). Any thoughts? Well, the answer was to be found in the documentation for CTreeCtrl. In case anyone has a similar problem, a call to SetImageList with NULL removes all icon...

how to programatically custom draw text in a icon?
i have written the following codes, HICON hIcon=AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(IDI_ICON1); ICONINFO IconInfo; ::GetIconInfo (hIcon, &IconInfo); BITMAP bmp; ::GetObject (IconInfo.hbmColor, sizeof (BITMAP), (LPVOID) &bmp); long cx = bmp.bmWidth; long cy = bmp.bmHeight; HBITMAP hBmp = (HBITMAP) ::CopyImage (IconInfo.hbmColor, IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, 0); CDC dcMem; dcMem.CreateCompatibleDC (NULL); if (hBmp == NULL) return; HBITMAP hOldBmp = (HBITMAP) dcMem.SelectObject (hBmp); dcMem.SetBkMode(TRANSPARENT); dcMem.SetTextColor(RGB(0,255,0)); CString str=_T("Ho"); d...

Visio Hyperlinks
Hi - currently using Visio and would like to save the workflow as a template for others to 'save as' and execute - need to know if the hyperlinks will work within the template and also whether or the current hyperlinks require a 'right click' to execute???? Would like to execute using double click feature? Any advice would be GREAT!! Thanks..../d If you have a Hyperlink on a Shape, then change the formula in the EventDblClick cell in the spreadsheet to =HYPERLINK(Hyperlink.Row_1.Address) "Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E...

Creating a Line Chart with double Y Axis
Would be possible to create a Line Chart with double Y Axis on th Chart? The X axis is date and Y axis will be the value. Thannks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select a series that you want on the secondary axis Choose Format>Selected Data Series On the Axis tab, select Secondary Click OK parker_yuan < wrote: > Would be possible to create a Line Chart with double Y Axis on the > Chart? The X axis is date and Y axis will be the value. Thannks. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

new mail icon reappears
This happens all the time. I'll read my new emails and the new mail icon in the system tray will go away. Then five mintues (or so) later, it will reappear even though I have no new mail. It might be coincident with the program checking the server for new mail, but I'm not sure. Anyone seen this problem? Thanks ...

can't open attachments #6
message is: OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your file This happens when they are Word docs I sent to myself from work. What's happening? You need to adjust your security settings in outlook: tools/options/security, then check the internet zone, uncheck the box that says do not allow attachments. >-----Original Message----- >message is: OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your >file > >This happens when they are Word docs I sent to myself from work. What's >happening? > > >. > Look here for help a...

Emailing a worksheet #2
Using Excel 2003, every time I email a worksheet (by clicking on the "Email" icon ) the receipant losses all the formating and makes it impossible to decifer. I want the receipant, who may not have Excel loaded, to see the actual worksheet (including lines/boxes) in the body of the email itself. Is there any way? Thanks, Craig ...

excel opens very slow
Hello to all! I have problem that I am can’t success to solve: I Have DELL D630 laptop with XP PRO SP3, & Office2003. The problem began when Office Files opened terribly slow (around 1 minute), even if it’s a new or empty file. After searches in the network, I found recommendations to add to do the next steps (to unmark the DDE from opening excel files): 1.) Open My Computer. 2.) Go to Tools -> Folder Options, and click on File Types. 3.) Find the extension of the file in question (XLS, DOC, etc.) 4.) Highlight the extension, and click \"Advanced.\" 5.) Highlight the \&q...

Code Interferes with other Worksheet Change Events.
Hi All, I obtained code from a thread "Automatically fill down formulas when adding a record" and modified it because I had more formulas in more columns to carry down to new records. It works but it also interferes with other Worksheet_Change events. If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo CleanUp: With Target If .Value <> "" Then Application.EnableEvents = False 'Here are the formulas to carry down to new records. ...

Double the Attachments
Any idea why some of our emails have two copies of each attachment? At first I thought it was a sender fluke, but have recently noticed that some of our own sent e-mail messages, but not all, end up in the 'Sent Mail' folder with twice the attachments they had when originally sent. Do we have an errant setting that could be causing this anomaly? ...

can't open outlook.
I get the error message "cannot open default e-mail folders. Outlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file and try again. you may need to restart your PC." I can't find anything that is using the .pst file although I don't really know how to find out. Any ideas out there? cheers, Smudger After you close outlook, right click on the task bar and choose Task manager. Look on the processes tab - is outlook.exe listed? If so, do you use any utility or device that accesses outlook data? See http://www.slipstick.co...

Downloaded add-ons for Excel, now cannot open it.
I added some updates or downlaods to Excel when I was trying to make some charts, histograms to be exact. Now when I click on Excel, the backgound opens, but nothing else happens, I cannot use the program. I went to Add/Remove Programs, but it does not appear that I can change just that. Can anyone help me? Thanks so much, M Try the usual fix(es) for this problem. Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "exc...

Can I replace the attachment file when double chick attachment?
I want to replace the attachment when double chick the attachment. I use outlook form to do it. Beause attachment read in outlook is not a cancelable event, I can't do it directly. I found outlook always store attachments file in directory: "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK*". So if I want to replace the attachment when user double chick the attachment, I can repalce the attachment file(will display) in that directory. I have some test, outlook allow me do that. But I meet two question: First: the directory is different with each user, I always start wi...

Unable to open the Free/Busy Information
I just applied the DST and CDO update to my Exchange 2003 SP2 Server, have not run the Exchange Cal update tool. When a user try to view an appointment in a calendar for a conference room he gets an error message; client is using Outlook 2003, "Can't open this item, unable to open the free/busy information", what is the cause and fix for this. When I login with our admin account using the admin outlook profile which has full access to this calendar I can open the appointments without any problems. Not have any issues with any other Calendar. ...

To get the CSliderCtrl to move the just place where user clicked.
I am using CSliderCtrl and there is one thing I want. I want the button to get to the place where the user clicked. In default way, it moves to right or left with page size. So, I tried to calculate the position where the user clicked from the slider's channel rect and mouse position and set the position with SetPos. But there are two problems. (1)The button moves two times when user clicked it every single time. (2)The channel rect is larger than the area where the button is able to move.So I can not calculate the exact position. Any ideas? Thanks!! ...

Owner-draw checkbox and Double-click
Hello, I have an owner drawn checkbox (see my post "Checkboxes: SetCheck() and BS_OWNERDRAW", 8/18/2003). It works great whether the user clicks on it or hits the space bar when it has the focus. However, when the user double-clicks the checkbox and tabs to another control, a heavy black rectangle is left behind. I noticed that this related to my usage of DrawFocusRect() in my DrawItem() function, but I cannot figure out how to properly address the problem. DrawFocusRect is called in two different places in DrawItem(): if( lpDrawItemStruct->itemAction == ODA_DRAWENTIRE ) { ...

Outlook takes forever to open
Outlook opens half way, then I get an error message. Sometimes taking upto 10 minutes. ...