Do Not Want to count blank Cells

I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a
crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet.  I tried to
use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of
entries (nonblank) in row 4.  But the result is giving me
26 because it is counting blank cells.  Is there a way to
count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to
easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula
will not count the blanks.  I do not want to have to
manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by
2000 rows.
Thank you,
Steve
0
anonymous (74721)

CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have something else in
those cells. Work out what it is, maybe spaces, and post back for a
solution.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Steven Stadelhofer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a
> crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet.  I tried to
> use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of
> entries (nonblank) in row 4.  But the result is giving me
> 26 because it is counting blank cells.  Is there a way to
> count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to
> easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula
> will not count the blanks.  I do not want to have to
> manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by
> 2000 rows.
> Thank you,
> Steve

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
4/19/2004 8:47:38 PM
Hi

Your cells are not empty
Maybe you have spaces in the cells

Try this on a copy of the workbook

Select the cells
Edit replace

Find what press the space bar one time
Replace with  leave this empty

See if the counta function is working now

If not check out this site

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Steven Stadelhofer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:122001c4264d$365cdf90$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a
> crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet.  I tried to
> use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of
> entries (nonblank) in row 4.  But the result is giving me
> 26 because it is counting blank cells.  Is there a way to
> count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to
> easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula
> will not count the blanks.  I do not want to have to
> manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by
> 2000 rows.
> Thank you,
> Steve

0
rondebruin (3789)
4/19/2004 8:51:40 PM
The cells are blank - but when I try to use 'FIND' to
find a space it does not find a space.  When I the delete
button to delete the cell it must remove whatever is in
the cell because the =counta calculates correctly.  I was
trying to find a way - not to have to delete all of the
blank cells in a large spreadsheet.
steve

0
anonymous (74721)
4/20/2004 1:53:17 PM
The cells are blank - but when I try to use 'FIND' to
find a space it does not find a space.  When I the delete
button to delete the cell it must remove whatever is in
the cell because the =counta calculates correctly.  I was
trying to find a way - not to have to delete all of the
blank cells in a large spreadsheet.
steve

0
anonymous (74721)
4/20/2004 1:55:07 PM
I don't use access, but I've seen this problem with excel.

If you have a formula that evaluates to "" (looks blank) and then convert to
values, you don't get an empty cell.

(The =counta() will count it and
if you do Tools|Options|Transition tab|and check Transition navigation keys,
you'll see a single apostrophe in the formula bar))

I like to just do two edit|replace's.

Replace (leave blank)
with    $$$$$$   (any unique set of characters not used)

then once more:
replace $$$$$$
with    (leave blank)

And this will empty those cells.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

For some reason, it doesn't work *all* of the time!
--

Regards,

RD

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
4/21/2004 2:04:36 AM
But isn't that slower if you have multiple columns to clean up?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Counting Ranges
I would like to count a range if all the numbers in that range meet a stated criteria. For example I have 50 columns (so 50 ranges) and I want to see how many of these cloumns contain numbers that are all above 75. e.g. Column 1 has 76, 76, 78, 90 so that would be counted, Column 2 has 77, 76, 94, 83 so that would be counted also, Column 3 has 72, 76, 77, 79 so that would not be counted and the total would be 2. Hope that is somehow understandable - I am a bit of a beginner! One way... Assuming the 50 columns are in the range A1:AX4 and each column contains 4 numbers. ...

list in one cell
how can i ctreate a list in one cell such as drop down arrow You can use data validation for this http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=data+validation+excel "sohail" wrote: > how can i ctreate a list in one cell such as drop down arrow hi i think you are intersted in data validation. on the tool bar>data>data validation. also see this site for tutorial. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html regards FSt1 "sohail" wrote: > how can i ctreate a list in one cell such as drop down arrow ...

want questions

I want more!

Combing Cell Values
Hello, Need some help with combing cell values. I know that =value(a1&b1) example. Cell A1 = 1 Cell B1= 3 Output =13 But if A1 has a text value such as ABC, I get an error on output. With text and numeric, how do you combine? Thanks JR try leaving out value -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JR" <gaspower@nothing.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:mqWJb.5923$KV4.1988@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com... > Hello, > > Need some help with combing cell values. I know that =value(a1&b1) example. > > Cell A1 = 1 > Cell B1= 3 > > Ou...

Referring to cells by range names #3
cool. half way there. now if i go to another page and want to refer to the cell "a john", bu i want to use another cell to pull the "a" and the "john", how do i d that? let us say that the matrix aboce is in the array a1:d4. th theory here is that i want to create a report by typing john, mary o pete into a cell (for this exercise, cell q5) and typing either a, b o c into another cell (for this exercise, t3), and then typing a formul in cell t5 that references q5 and t3 but returns the same value as if had typed "a john -- rllane4 -----------------------...

INDIRECT and multiple cells at once
Anybody know is it possible to write string which contain multiple cells and then evaluate that. For example with INDIRECT you can do: If Sheet1 contain in A1 value 10 and Sheet2 contain in A2 value 20 I can do this: =INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1") and I get 10 But it doesn't work that: =INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1+Sheet2!A2"). I get #REF! So Question is it possible to evaluate string expression like this "A1+A2/2". Anybody have some idea how to calculate strings which have more cell references? Billy I think you need to do an Indirect on each of the references separately ...

extracting data from a cell
I have this data that stored into several cells and each sell holds a combined 20 data entries in one cell seperated by a space. I was wondering is there anyway to extract that data with out having to rekey the numbers. We are talking about a combined 2000 line items if individually entered. An example is to store numbers 1-100 in to one Use Data | Text to Columns and use the space as a delimiter/separator. Regards Trevor "msam137" <mpsamuels01@spymac.com> wrote in message news:1109702417.132521.302110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >I have this data that stored into...

how do I populate a cell with data from another worksheet,
I have two worksheets, both with similar data. Say columns are Acc No, Acc Name and VAT number. Unfortunately the VAT number does not correspond on each worksheet. How can I populate 1 worksheet with the VAT number so that the data is collected on one worksheet? I have tried VLookup, but I'm not really converant with it so would appreciate any help. Many thanks Denise ...

Text want wrap in text box

Want to Add more Sub description Field

Go to cell based on input
Hi all In hoping someone can help I have a cell (c16) the user will input a 1 or a zero into. If its a 1 i want cell (F16) to be selected or if its a 0 cell (C17) to be selected. Cheers in Advance D -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Put this code in the worksheet module. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "$C$16" Then Select Case Target.Value Case Is = "0": Range("C17").Select Case Is = "1": Range("F16").Select End Se...

Count decimals
How to count decimals in excel cell? 1.235 --> 3 One way will be: =LEN(A1)-FIND(".",A1) Micky "backmara" wrote: > How to count decimals in excel cell? > 1.235 --> 3 Hi, This works: =LEN(A1)-FIND(".";A1) "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" kirjoitti: > One way will be: =LEN(A1)-FIND(".",A1) > Micky > > > "backmara" wrote: > > > How to count decimals in excel cell? > > 1.235 --> 3 ...

How Can I make a cell flash in Excel
I am looking to highlight certain cells in a column of data and would be helpful to make them flash, as oposed to just standard formatting Hi flashing would require VBA (using for example the OnTime method). But I strongky recommend against it: - slows down Excel - has IMHO nothing to do with serious spreadsheets - requires VBA and won't work if macros are disabled If you still want to go on with this search the Google archives for 'blinking cell' "Cumbo" wrote: > I am looking to highlight certain cells in a column of data and would be > helpful to make them ...

Sorting with blank lines
How can I sort my data in Excel without losing the blank line I have inserted between each item. Everytime I sort the blank line is deleted and the items are smacked up against each other. I inserted the blank line so there would be a recognizable space between each entry. Thanks for any help Hi Snip, Don't think you can do this without VBA help but you might try increasing the row height....this will put the data further apart assuming you leave the font size the way it is and all cells are formatted vertically the same. If you're using Borders, that probably won't he...

The from address is blank in NDRs
Hi Using Exchange 2003 SP1. I have set Exchange Server to send NDRs to an Exchange users mailbox. When this user opens the NDR in the Inbox in Outlook 2003 and clicks the Send Again, the From address is blank. They want to notify the sender of the correct address. If the user then moves this NDR to a PST file and opens it there, the From address is displayed. This also happens if the NDR notifications are sent to a special mailbox. If I use OutLook to open this mailbox directly, then the From address is blank in the Send Again. But if I open this NDR Inbox from within my Mailbox, the Fro...

Tip to count and list fonts in Excel sheet
Hello, I have a large Excel sheet, with various fonts used, and I want to kno how many fonts are in the sheet and their name. Anyone can give me a ti to do this job in a simple way -- NetScorpiu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- NetScorpium's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2520 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38688 ...

Excel wants to create a page break in every cell!
After saving revisions in an Excel worksheet, I get a popup message that states "Margins do not fit page size". After clicking "ok" (because this is my only choice) a page break is automatically created in ever cell. At times(depending on the sizeof the work sheet) it can be over 100 pages with a page size 14% or smaller. Why does this happen, and how can I avoid it? I saw this suggestion in a different forum. Try closing excel. Clean up your windows temp folder Windows start button|Run type: %temp% and hit enter Clean all those files that you ca...

splitting cells #2
In excel 2003 is it possible to split a cell into 3 or 4 cells in one particular row without it affecting the col setup in the rest of the worksheet? Joanne I want to put: Vendor Name Cust Name Cust Phone Cust Fax all on one row For the sake of consistency throughout a large workbook, I wanted to use cells to keep everything lined up equally. Thought about using text boxes, and maybe even coding in the Workbook Name = Vendor Name, Worksheet Name = Customer name - then I would only have to add the phone and fax on each worksheet. But since the workbook is already so large, I figured ...

WANTED
WTB: I BUY SOFTWARE - CHECK AROUND - YOU PROBABLY HAVE SOME OF THE BELOW TO SELL TO ME. SEE A LIST OF SOME OF THE SOFTWARE THAT I AM BUYING! I AM BUYING ALL OF THE BELOW. THE MORE QUANTITY THE BETTER! I am looking to buy large quantities of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade Dell DVDs with unactivated COAs included in a SEALED package I am looking to buy quantities of SYMANTEC NORTON ANTI VIRUS, NORTON INTERNET SECURITY AND 360 OEM AND RETAIL BOXES I will buy 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006. If you have good quantities setting around and no longer need send me detai...

Hiding the Blank Cell in a Drop Down List/Combo Box
In the userform i am working on there is a combo box based on a list from a worksheet. This list however has some blank cells in it and these are shown in he combo box as weel. I was wondering whether there was a way to hide these blank cells within the combo box? Are there blanks because the list has empty cells at the bottom of it? If yes, you could use a dynamic name that adjusts according to the number of elements in that list. See Debra Dalgleish's site for more info: http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic If the blanks are embedded, I think I'd just add them to dro...

Check boxes
Hi---I am setting up a form with various check boxes. I want to set up a range of check boxes so if any of these boxes are checked, then one corresponding check box if also checked. On the flip side, if none in the range of boxes are checked, then the one corresponding box is also not checked. I hope this can be done with a formula or conditional formatting, instead of a macro....if it takes a macro, whoever resonds to this question, please explain in easy terms---I don't have a lot o fmacro experience. Thanks!!! A boolean checkbox reflects the TRUE / FALSE value of the cell it ...

Goto Last Cell function
Hello Group, I have an application where I would like to create a function that goes to the last cell in a spreadsheet. I can get this to work if I manually use the <Goto...special...last cell> function, but when I put this command into a macro and increase the length of the spreadsheet, the macro will only go as far as the last cell when the macro was saved. Any suggestions? Thanks, Julius Here's a slick formula from Harlan that will return what's in the last cell in a column, =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A10000)),A1:A10000) if you need the whole column use A65535 inste...