Displaying a GIF from a URL in Excel

Point your browser at http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=AMR
You'll get a nice little 1 by 2 inch stock chart for AMR.
The chart is actually a GIF.

I want to set up a cell or cells in a spreadsheet so they
fetch this chart from the web and display it.

I've tried to make a Web Query do this. I fail, because it
displays only a little gibberish, presumably because it does
not understand that the URL result data is a GIF to be shown
graphically.

As far as I can tell, Web Queries are just not intended to do this.
They are intended to scrape tabular data from URL's, not graphics.
Is this correct? Is there any workaround? Is there some other
approach in Excel that is more appropriate?

Thanks

JG

Hi Jim,

You're right - I don't think you can do this with a web query.  But you can
do it with a few lines of VBA code:

    Application.Goto Sheet1.Range("C10")
    Sheet1.Pictures.Insert http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=AMR

[BTW, I figured this out by recording a macro, selecting Insert |
Picture --> From File, then entering the URL in the file name box.]

--
Regards,

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

Jim Goodwin wrote:
> Point your browser at http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=AMR
> You'll get a nice little 1 by 2 inch stock chart for AMR.
> The chart is actually a GIF.
>
> I want to set up a cell or cells in a spreadsheet so they
> fetch this chart from the web and display it.
>
> I've tried to make a Web Query do this. I fail, because it
> displays only a little gibberish, presumably because it does
> not understand that the URL result data is a GIF to be shown
> graphically.
>
> As far as I can tell, Web Queries are just not intended to do this.
> They are intended to scrape tabular data from URL's, not graphics.
> Is this correct? Is there any workaround? Is there some other
> approach in Excel that is more appropriate?
>

> Thanks
>
> JG

0
msnews5827 (33)
5/4/2004 11:07:51 PM
"Jake Marx" <msnews@longhead.com> wrote in message
Hi Jim,

You're right - I don't think you can do this with a web query.  But you
can
do it with a few lines of VBA code:

    Application.Goto Sheet1.Range("C10")
    Sheet1.Pictures.Insert http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=AMR

[BTW, I figured this out by recording a macro, selecting Insert |
Picture --> From File, then entering the URL in the file name box.]

I got an error using the above code. Changing the second line as follows
worked nicely in Excel 2002:

ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert("http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=AMR").Select

Bill

0
bsharpe (111)
5/7/2004 3:48:52 AM
Hi Bill,

Bill Sharpe wrote:
>>     Application.Goto Sheet1.Range("C10")
>>     Sheet1.Pictures.Insert http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=AMR
>
> I got an error using the above code. Changing the second line as
> follows worked nicely in Excel 2002:
>
> ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert("http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=AMR").Select

You shouldn't need the Select method.  My post was supposed to have double
quotes around the URL, but I think OE stripped them off when I composed the
message.  So I'll try using spaces to see if I can get OE to ignore the
quotes.

    ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert " http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=AMR "

This should work as expected.

--
Regards,

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

msnews5827 (33)
5/7/2004 2:56:37 PM
Gentlemen,

I finally got back to working on this and the final suggestion above worked
fine in Excel 2000. Thank you so much!

jwg

Excel Form "Component Not Registered"
I am using several excel spreadsheet that are working on many other machines but they all of a sudden started giving me a "component not registered" error. I don't know of any changes to my workstation environment. In order to debug, I stripped down the excel spreadsheet to the bare minimum. I noticed that when all the forms were removed from the spreadsheet that the problem disapeared. I removed everything in the spreadsheet except for one form and a Workbook_Open() procedure. No problem occurs if I have an empty procedure but as soon as I even put a comment in th...

link excel with access
Is it possible to link Excel with access such that any changes made in Excel will also occur in the access database? In other words, I need to maintain a 2-way linkage between the 2, but I want all my data to reside in the database, not the spreadsheet. I understand that creating a Linked table in Access would accomplish the linkage I want, but it creates problems when I link that table with a Visio drawing...which is why the data needs to stay in the Access DB. Anyone have any suggestions? I know that vba will accomplish this, but I am not an expert in that field. Any help would be appre...

Dual Displays

Folder could not be displayed

Excel Formulas #11
I would like to create a sumation formula that will pull in different values depending upon what I need. For example, I want to add values in column A, however sometimes I want to go through row 10 and the next time through row 20. So I want to create a formula that will give the value depending on the the row number I type in. For example if I type in 15 then I will get a sum of variables in column A of rows 1 through 15. If I type in 20 then I will get a sum of variables in rows 1 through 20. How do I create such a formula? Any help would be much appreciated. -- ag_banker_kansas You ca...

open excel file
i have problem with a excel file. the file is not to big. its has 5 tabs only. and when i click on to one of the "tabs" the excel gives me a error message as "not reponding". and this happens with this particular tab only. any help "Rohit" wrote: > i have problem with a excel file. the file is not to big. its has 5 tabs > only. and when i click on to one of the "tabs" the excel gives me a error > message as "not reponding". and this happens with this particular tab only. > > any help Try looking at thi...

Excel Slooooow. It takes 4 to 6 seconds to perform each input or command
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have just installed Excel 2008 on a new installation of Snow Leopard and it does not work properly. It takes ages to register every input or command, like a large Lag. <br><br>EG. each figure or text, input into cells takes 4 seconds from hitting enter to accepting the input. Changing the width of a column takes 6 seconds from letting go of the mouse after dragging to the new width. etc etc. <br><br>I have checked for updates. Any ideas? > I have just installed Excel 2008 on a n...

How to select & display distinct values

Display Time in Outlook

In nameing a sheet in Excel it puts a .xls] in front why?
Every time I go to name a sheet it puts an .xls] in front of it and I do not know why Did you try to put brackets around the name? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "EZE" <EZE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9045E70-AD04-4C91-B223-8851A0DFE55D@microsoft.com... > Every time I go to name a sheet it puts an .xls] in front of it and I do not > know why Remove the bracket or other illegal character(s) from the workbook name. In article <C9045E70-AD04-4C91-B223-8851A0DFE55D@microsoft.com>, EZE <EZE@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Word Cells into Excel Cells #2
How does one import a cell formatted Word file *.doc into cells within Excel *.xls. By "cell formatted Word file", do you mean a table? I would simply select table and click copy. Then open excel and paste it where you want it to appear. J "gary" wrote: > How does one import a cell formatted Word file *.doc into > cells within Excel *.xls. > > > jayceejay Wrote: > By "cell formatted Word file", do you mean a table? I would simpl > select > table and click copy. Then open excel and paste it where you want i > to > ap...

Activate my Excel 2003 but it still runs in reduce mode
My Excel 2003 is showing that it's activated but it is still running in reduce mode. what I'am doing wrong? Rightclick on the excel icon on the windows taskbar (usually at the bottom of the screen). Choose Maximize. Maybe it's just off the screen (not really minimized--just off the screen). atomicesar wrote: > > My Excel 2003 is showing that it's activated but it is still running in > reduce mode. what I'am doing wrong? -- Dave Peterson ...

PK and FK Displayed

Excel error message not understood
Has anyone ever gotten the error message "Too many different formats"? If so, what exactly does it mean and what can a user do about it? The following MSKB article has information on the error message: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=213904 Jimbo wrote: > Has anyone ever gotten the error message "Too many > different formats"? If so, what exactly does it mean and > what can a user do about it? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

reading data from Excel Sheet
hi, i want to read the data from the Excel sheet using vc++6.0. How can i read it. i don't want to create any DSN thank you, regards, koti You can use the Excel.Application com object -- Satish "Koti" wrote: > hi, > > i want to read the data from the Excel sheet using vc++6.0. How can i > read it. i don't want to create any DSN > > thank you, > > regards, > koti > > > ...

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Excel 2007 does start up right
I have been using Excel 2007 since about March with no problems. Recently I started experiencing a problem when the application is stated. It randomly (maybe 2 out of 6 times) does not open to the "grid" screen but rather a light blue screen with nothing on it except the Ready button in the upper left corner. If I click on that button I get the same drop down menus as I get when the application starts correctly and I click on the Ready button in the lower left corner. This has only been happening for about the last two weeks. If I just open it and close it several times withou...

Stop displaying a line

how do i make a pool league table in excel
how do i make a pool league table in excel ie Player, games played games won games lost automaticly puts best player to top of the league ...

Excel crashes when opening excel document by double-clicking icon
I already have one excel document opened. And when I open another excel file by double-clicking the file's icon, the excel program closed abruptly. Did anyone encounter the same problem, and solved it? Hi YasmineJade, See a comprehensive post from Dave Peterson which may well assist you:: http://tinyurl.com/6baew --- Regards, Norman "yasminejade" <yasminejade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C8AF0D-040D-4D64-9216-625A24CF15EC@microsoft.com... >I already have one excel document opened. And when I open another excel >file > by ...

Watermark for Excel chart
Does anyone know how to create a watermark on an Excel Chart? Tom, You might try a few of things: (1) Activate your chart by clicking on it. Type the word "Draft" and hit the enter key. A textbox should appear with the word "Draft" on the chart. Position the textbox to where you want it to be and format it accordingly. (2) Double - click on the outside area of your chart. In the Format Chart Area dialog box, set the Area to None. Do the same with the plot area. Now, select a range on your spreadsheet that contains the text of the watermark that you want. In...

Saving excel to network folder
The file "filename.xls" may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do save a copy or overwrite changes This is the error message we are receiving in Excel 2002 only. We are saving the file on our network shared folder (network is NT4 server) we also have MAC volume services on this folder because it is also seen on the MAC. Any suggestions. We are not changing the file by another user we can change the file 1 minute after first saving it and it still pops up with the message HELP! ...