Disappearing info in merged cells - Excel

I created a document that had merged cells.  After saving my document several
times, info that was placed in merged cells kept disappearing.  Any
suggestions?
0
Nora (7)

Nora

I will assume you know that if you data in 4 cells then merge those cells only
the data in top left cell will remain after merging.

So, I guess that leaves us with data disappearing from cells you have merged
previously and added/changed within.

I cannot replicate this behaviour unless I enter more than 1024 characters in
the merged cell.  Excel treats multiple cells merged to 1 as a single cell.

Excel allows 32,767 characters in a cell but only 1024 characters will be
visible or can be printed.

One way to overcome this limit is to place an ALT + ENTER every now again to
stretch the visible limit.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:29:03 -0800, "Nora" <Nora@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I created a document that had merged cells.  After saving my document several
>times, info that was placed in merged cells kept disappearing.  Any
>suggestions?

0
Gord

when setting a cell to equal a blank cell it displays 0
If I make cell A1=B1 the result in A1 is 0 (zero) if B1 is blank. Is it possible to have a blank result in A1? I am trying to create a template where I have some cells equate to others and I would like the cells to show blank if there is no data in the target cells. Try to format the cell as such: _(* #,##0.00_);_(* (#,##0.00);_(* ""??_);_(@_) -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "BWildeRed" wrote: > If I make cell A1=B1 the result in A1 is 0 (zero) if B1 is blank. Is it > possib...

Signature logo disappears on reply
I'm finding that with multiple versions of Outlook, a logo used in the signature disappears when included on a reply/forward. Does anyone know a fix for this? Thanks ...

merge data from one workbook to another
I am trying to import data from one workbook to another, but need to do two things in this process. I need to compare data and only insert what is missing. IE in one column of one workbook there is a group of client ID's. IN the other workbook there is a sales associate for that client. I would like to merge these so that excel automatically reads the client id and inserts a new column with the sales associate for that id. I'd use the VLOOKUP function. "beck" wrote: > I am trying to import data from one workbook to another, but need to do two > things in this ...

Folders Are Disappearing !
I have several (Outlook 2007) folders and various rules directing certain emails to certain folders. But some of those folders magically disappear and my rules become useless because everything goes into one folder (inbox). Anyone know why this happens, and what to do about it ? The rules would not work if the folders are not there to move the files (emails) into them, so that part is understable. We just need to address why the folders are disappearing and how to prevent it. I need some clarification on where these folders are located. Are they sub-folders of Personal Folder. I hav...

Contacts Disappearing.
Everytime one of our employees enter a new contact or update a current contact. Some of them disappears or the update does not take place. Thanks I'd first copy them all to a pst so you don't lose anymore. Import them into a test mailbox and see if it has the same issue. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "...

Find cells in a range that sum to an amount
I have a spreadsheet of invoices with invoice numbers and amounts for clients. Sometimes I get a check with an amount for some of the invoices, but I don't know which invoices the check goes with. Is there a function or add-in that can look at all the invoice amounts and find one or more that add up to the check amount? I realize there would be cases where more than one answer would result, but I would be happy to get any answer that works. Is there an add-in or other code to help me do this? Thank you for any help on this! -- Daryl S There have been a lot of ...

Calculating with filtered cells
Hi Can you have a formula that updates when you use a filter? I'm assuming you want your formulas to consider only the rows that pass the filter. If so, check out the subtotal function; it honors the filter. Ex =sum(a:a) will always give you the sum of the entire column. =subtotal(9,a:a) will total those cells in column A that pass the filter. See the help on the subtotal function to find the other calculations available in subtotal (min, max, avg, count, etc). "Jo Davis" wrote: > Hi > > Can you have a formula that updates when you use a filter? > &g...

How do I count one cell based on another cell?
How do you count the number of cells with data (not blank) in a given range based on a criteria in a different range? for example, how many corresponding cells are populated with data in c1:c1000, if b1:b1000 = SMU? I have tried so many variations of the the following to no avail. =COUNT(IF(b1:b1000,"SMU",counta(c1:c1000))) If anyone can resuce me...I am frustrated...what am I missing? Harr Hi try =SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B1000="SMU"),--(C1:C1000<>"")) Also see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany &qu...

Sum of every nth cell in a column
I am trying to figure out the formula for adding the nth cell in a given column. I am using the formula below to add every 4th cell but it is just one that I found on line. Can someone explain to me the components of this formula so I can adapt it? =SUM((C2:C213) * (MOD( ROW( C2:C213)+1, 4)=0)) That is an array formula so it must be committed with Shift + Ctrl + <Enter>. here is how it works... Moving down through cells C2:C213 it looks at each 2 things. The value of the cell and the row that cell is on. If the row that cell is on is +1 is evenly divisible by 1 then ...

updater in system tray disappears
Windows XP SP3, IE7 When the icon for windows tray appears telling me I have updates, I click on it, chose custom, and chose the updates I wish to install. It starts downloading the updates, and the icon disappears, but never comes back to let me install the updates. -- Even if I reboot. So if I go into IE and choose Windows Update tool, I select the updates I want. After these have downloaded again, all of a sudden the icon appears again in the system tray, like, oh -- I forgot -- you can install these updates now. At this time I usually just let IE7 install the updat...

Disappearing Menu Items
I added News to the Go menu of Outlook 2003 as described in the help files. This worked fine for a few days but then it disappeared from the menu list. Even worse it isn't in the Customise options any more so I can't add it again. Now I can only access News groups by starting Outlook Express directly. Anyone know how to add it to the menu items again please? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch...

Mails disappearing.
I tried to move a mail to a folder using "Right Click > Move to folder > OK" without selecting any folders. The default selection was "Personal Folder". Noted that this mail had moved from the inbox. But no idea where the mail has gone. Please help to find those mails. Best Regards Same. Then they are probably in the Outlook Today folder. See here how you can retrieve them; www.howto-outlook.com/faq/mailoutlooktoday.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slip...

shorthand for consistent but non-contiguous range of cells
is there any way of specifying a range of non-contiguous cells? E.g., if I wanted to sum every third cell, rather than going =SUM(A1,A4,A7,A10) is there any notation I could use analogous to =SUM(A1:A10)? I'd prefer to avoid macros in this instance if possible. This would be for a large spreadsheet, to which extra rows are sometimes added. thanks, Julz Here's one way to do it although it's no pleasure to look at. This adds A11, 14, 17 and 20: =SUMPRODUCT(A11:A20,(MOD(ROW(A11:A20)-ROW(A11),3)=0)*1) -- Jim "Julz" <julian@jlittlewood.com> wrote in messag...

CRMbar in Outlook disappears
Hello, On the notebooks of our employees I've installed the Desktop CRM Client. On some of these notebooks after a while, the CRM bar in Outlook disappears. Menu > View > Toolbars > Microsoft CRM is checked, and the only solution that worked for me untill now is to do a Repair from the Client install CD. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Because more and more people are having this problem. Regards, Dirk ...

cannot select any cells to complete formula
I've got an weird Excel workbook that has several sheets. If I create a "Summary" sheet to, say get the SUMs of the cells in the other sheets, I have problems. I can type "=SUM(", but when I try to select any cell in any of the workbooks (except for one workbook), it says "Point" down in the Status bar and just gives me a pointer and I cannot select any cells. I can copy and paste a link from any of the cells no problem. I can type in the full formula with no problem. I ran this thru Open and Repair in 2003 but still had the problem. There doesn...

using cell's contents instead of file name
Please, advise whether it's possible to use a cell's contents instead of a file name. If I have "SSS" in A1, how could I use it instead of the FileName in the path reference such as 'C:\Path\[FileName.xls]Sheet1'!$B$25 that FileName would reflect SSS and it would be [SSS.xls] Using Cell("contents",A1) as 'C:\Path\[Cell("contents",A1).xls]Sheet1!$B$25 isn't working. Thanks Hi normally using INDIRECt would work. e.g. =INDIRECT("'[" & A1 & "]Sheet1'!B25") But this won't work for closed workboo...

Cell Reference to Page Header
Is is possible to reference a cell in the page header? I am hoping to have a sheet where demographic information can be inputted. Name, Address, etc. Then have that demographic information show in the header of every sheet printed. Hi only possible with VBA, not with a cell reference. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Allen wrote: > Is is possible to reference a cell in the page header? I > am hoping to have a sheet where demographic information > can be inputted. Name, Address, etc. Then have that > demographic information show in the header of every sheet &...

Disappearing M driive
I'm running Windows Server 2000 with exchange 5.5 and caome in today and my m drive is no longer showing up. Tried rebooting and still, no m drive. Have cleaned up the rest of the hard drive and have 2 gb of free space. Am I looking at a reload??? Exchange 5.5 doesn't have IFS capabilities so there is no M:\ drive. Sounds like you may have Citrix installed? If this is actually E2K, then check to make sure that the Information store service is started and/or the databases are mounted. -- Cheers, Steve Antonio Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Any info about "Thread has exited with code 32772 (0x8004)"?
Hi I did a simple dialog aplication using VC6 and I got that exit code. The program ' ' has exited with code 32772 (0x8004). I tried Error Lookup tool but didnt find anything about it. What this error code means?. Thanks in advance. "-Nivel-" <abcd@fghij.klm> wrote in message news:Xns9A42BBA39C77Eabcdfghijklm@193.202.122.102... > Hi > I did a simple dialog aplication using VC6 and I got that exit code. > The program ' ' has exited with code 32772 (0x8004). > I tried Error Lookup tool but didnt find anything about it. > > What this error cod...

Contacts Keep Disappearing
For some reason my contacts keep dissappering each time I close Live Mail. I open it back up and the contacts are gone. It was working fine when I first started using it a week ago. Each time I have to import them in from Outlook Express. What gives and is anyone else experiencing this issue? Are you using a Live ID to sign on to Windows Live when using WLM ? If so, try importing them via the web UI at contacts.live.com(click Manage, then import) Thereafter use that Live ID to sign on to Windows Live when using WLM. If not using a Live ID, you may have encountered a problem ...

Getting the content of a cell?
Hi, I am trying to get the content of a cell and then put it in (4-(x-8)^(2/3))^3/2)+8, where x is the content of the cell. Thank you in advance Hi Write your formula in a cell starting with an equal sign, and substitute 'x' with a cell reference like 'A1': =(4-(A1-8)^2/3)^(3/2)+8 Regards, Per On 1 Jun., 00:36, Rocky <Ro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, I am trying to get the content of a cell and then put it in > (4-(x-8)^(2/3))^3/2)+8, where x is the content of the cell. > > Thank you in advance ...

How do I get rid of the TimeZome info?
I have a Smart Client app that connects to web services that connects to SQL Server 2000. The Smart Clients has all kind of forms for the user to apply filters and retrieve historical data from the DB. I have an issue when the WS is on Eastern Time and the client is on Central Time. The Date and Time fields I sent are "increased" by one hour and that meeses up the filters. Question: I want to send the date and the time info from the Smart Client to the web services tier without any time zones attached. I want the web services part to not modify them. How do I do that? Than...

Validate MsgBox Entry to Data in Cells
I want to prompt the user to enter a date from a message box, have the entry be validated with pre-entered data in cells, and once verified, write the date to one cell. The pre-entered data is on worksheet "Index" in column G, rows 2-53. The data are all the Sunday dates in 2006 in mmm-dd-yy format. I want to write the result to worksheet "Global Setup" cell E5. The index sheet is normally hidden and password protected. Here is what I have so far: Dim wCtr As Long Dim iOffice As Integer, iDate As Date, iValue Dim password As String Application.Scr...

News disappears
I added News to the "GO" button in Outlook 2003 and logged into the news service. The next time I used Outlook, News was not on the "GO" button and it had also disappeared from the list of add-ons. Where did it go? Can I get it back? Thanks, Turner To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button. You ma...

Merging Records
When 2 lead records are merged, the one that is NOT the master ends up disqualified with a Status Reason of Lost. Is there any way to control what the Status Reason is when you merge? Ideally, it would say Merged... ...