Deleting rows at bottom of sheet

I have 82 rows of data in my excel sheet but 65,000 rows in my file! How do I get rid of these unnecessary additional rows at the bottom of my sheet? I have tried some of the methods listed on this site but have not had any luck. When I select the unncessary rows and try to delete them, I am not getting the pop-up that allows you to select "entire row."
0
anonymous (74719)

Hi Bethany

You can't delete the rows in Excel.
But you can hide them if you want like this

1) Select row 83(Click on 83 to select the whole row)
2) Ctrl-Shift-down Arrow to select all rows below row 82
3) Right click on the selection
4) Choose Delete first to be sure that all the cells are empty
5)  Right click on the selection again and choose Hide

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1  XL2000-2003)

"Bethany" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFA3E973-3284-43F0-86AE-54F85DC4879E@microsoft.com...
> I have 82 rows of data in my excel sheet but 65,000 rows in my file! How do I get rid of these unnecessary additional rows at
the bottom of my sheet? I have tried some of the methods listed on this site but have not had any luck. When I select the
unncessary rows and try to delete them, I am not getting the pop-up that allows you to select "entire row."

0
rondebruin (3789)
1/20/2004 10:02:11 PM
What did they do to you?? :-)  They won't hurt you, honest.  Unless you actually
can't stand the sight of them, just leave them.  You cannot physically delete
them and have them go away because Excel will just create more when it deletes
the ones you selected - It is a constant 65,536 rows (And most people want more,
not less!!).  There is nothing to be gained from a performance or size point of
view by hiding them, so it's your call.  Ron has detailed how to hide them in
his note.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"Bethany" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 82 rows of data in my excel sheet but 65,000 rows in my file! How do I
get rid of these unnecessary additional rows at the bottom of my sheet? I have
tried some of the methods listed on this site but have not had any luck. When I
select the unncessary rows and try to delete them, I am not getting the pop-up
that allows you to select "entire row."

---

ken.wright (2489)
1/20/2004 10:18:43 PM
What is important is where is the last used cell.  To find out
use   Ctrl+End      if it is on row 82 then you are fine
if it is way beyond your data then you have a problem and
might want to look at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/lastcell.htm#makelastcell
---
HTH,

"Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message news:eZspeN63DHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> What did they do to you?? :-)  They won't hurt you, honest.  Unless you actually
> can't stand the sight of them, just leave them.  You cannot physically delete
> them and have them go away because Excel will just create more when it deletes
> the ones you selected - It is a constant 65,536 rows (And most people want more,
> not less!!).  There is nothing to be gained from a performance or size point of
> view by hiding them, so it's your call.  Ron has detailed how to hide them in
> his note.
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>                   Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
>

> "Bethany" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have 82 rows of data in my excel sheet but 65,000 rows in my file! How do I
> get rid of these unnecessary additional rows at the bottom of my sheet? I have
> tried some of the methods listed on this site but have not had any luck. When I
> select the unncessary rows and try to delete them, I am not getting the pop-up
> that allows you to select "entire row."
>

> ---

dmcritchie (2586)

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

Pivot Table row comparison
I'm trying to compare an old customer schedule with their new schedule and highlight the changes with colour or by hiding a row. My pivot table looks like this Prod Sched wk1 wk2 wk3 A old 3 2 3 A new 3 4 3 B old 2 2 2 B new 2 2 2 So in the above example I'd like to colour the cells for wk2- Product A in yellow, and hide the product B rows as there has been no change in demand. Can someone give me some advice about how to do this Thanks for your help Ross How about an alternative??? Your raw data looks kind of like this: Prod Sched wk# qty...

How to open Excel sheet with more than 64000 lines
I am using Office 2002, and have received Excel files with greater than 64000 line items. Is there a way , or an update, with Excel 2002 to open files this large? You need to upgrade to Excel 2007. "mgoehring" wrote: > I am using Office 2002, and have received Excel files with greater than 64000 > line items. Is there a way , or an update, with Excel 2002 to open files this > large? Yes, but not more than 65536. For that you would need Excel 2007. -- David Biddulph "mgoehring" <mgoehring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Cannot delete subreport

Rule for Deleted Items

I need to show the last number in a rows in the total pending row
I have a column where I list pending cases each month and I need to show the last number in the total pending cell at the bottom of the row. I can use an offset fomula which works if the pending cases begin in row 1. However, I am not able to get it to work if the pending cases begin in rows 4 or 5 as an example. Any suggestion? Rows don't have a bottom.............guess you meant Column. Last number in column A =LOOKUP(99^99,A:A) Last anything in column A =LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<>""),A1:A65535) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:30:08 -0800, Jen S ...

number of rows #2
I used autoformat so that my rows would alternate colors. But, it added a bunch of empty rows so that the sheet is maxed out and my file is huge. I don't need all those empty rows and I can't find a way to delete them. Any suggestions for how to get rid of the rows, or limit the number of rows on a worksheet? I know I could copy all the data to a new worksheet, but I'd like a better solution. Try this: click on the number of the first empty row, so the whole row is selected. Using the vertical scrollbar, go to the last row on the sheet. Hold down the shift key while you cli...

Create Property sheet via menu command with .NET 2005 MFC SDI
Hi, I have spent a lot of time already, but I haven't found solution yet. My program is as follows: 1. I use .NET 2005 MFC, SDI, with CFormView base class to create my program. 2. Under File tab, I made Setting command. I want to press Setting, and bring up a property sheet. Each page will have radio button, edit box, combo box. When property sheet close, I want to transfer the value back to my view object. 3. I have "Programming with microsoft Visual C++ .NET" by George Shepherd with David Kruglinski. There is a good reference program Ex12a and Ex12b. But I lost companion ...

Unable To Read Certain fields in Linked Excel Sheet to Access
I am using Acc 2003, but Acc 2007 should work the same (I think). I have linked an excel spreadsheet into my Access database. Almost all of the fields are available and can be read. There are a few fields that I can see in Access, but its in Excel. These fields were using a VLookUp function in excel to get the value from another excel worksheet. Also the linked excel sheet has fields that I believe should be text (in Access), but its was set to be a number. I am unable to change this. Is there a way to resolve this issue for me ??? I also assume that if I was to rea...

Delete macros

Locate a specific row or column
Hi all, Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to dray the scroll bar? Clara thank you so much for your help In VBA code, you can use: Range("D100").Activate ' Or Range("D1:D100").Select ' Depending on if you want only one cell highlighted or a range of cells. -- Best wishes, Jim "clara" wrote: > Hi all, > > Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to > dray the scroll bar? > > Clara > > thank you so much for your help Hi Clara Have you tried goto in the Ed...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart

'Cannot shift objects off sheet"
I am tryingto hide columns of data and I get this message. What is this and how do I fix it? Usually it means you are trying to insert sufficient rows or columns that you would cause data to be pushed off of the worksheet. Examples are You already have data in the last row or last column and try to insert a row or a column. You try to copy an entire worksheet at the end of the data region of another worksheet. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps....

Delete blank Last page

Having trouble with extra rows at the bottom of the doc
How do I delete the extra rows at the bottom of a doc. I have inherited a document that has 60 rows of data and 3682 rows of empty cells that have the boarder set. When I select and delete them, new ones reappear. I have turned the cell boards off and it still creates empty cells with the boarder. Is there any way to delete these rows? -ken Ken, Are you selecting and then deleting and then saving? HTH, Andy Ken Excel has a habit of retaining "used" cells way beyond where you are currently working. On a worksheet hit CRTL + END to see where you wind up. If far below and...

Deleting an email

#Deleted

Can I delete this from ADSI?
Hi all, I am upgrating Exchange 2K to Exchange 2K3 and removed the Mobile information Server (which we never used it). But, I can see the CN=Microsoft-Mobile-Information-Server under configuration -->Services from ADSIedit. Can I safely delete this? or If I do not delete this, wii it have any issue with exchange 2003 mobile? Thanks! Exchange Server 2003 mobility features do not rely on that. Saving a LDIF dump may be a good idea before you delete - this provides ability to recreate the object if required. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.e...