Deleting/removing unused rows in a worksheet

Excel 2007 all MS updates
Is it possible to delete rows without ANY data automatically? Currently, I
have a 2000+ row spreadsheet that has 250+ blank rows.  Instead of doing this
manually, how can the removal or deletion (squishing!) of the blank rows be
done?  For example, say I have a spreadsheet with data in rows 1, 2,4,6,8 and
12.  All I really need are THESE rows with data.  I want to squish,
eliminate, delete the rows in 3,5,7,9,10,11.
How can I do this by 'highlighting' or whatever the entire set (rows 1-12
above) and then performing an "delete empty row" process?
TIA

If you are interested in macros try out the below macro. If you are new to
macros..

--Set the Security level to low/medium in (Tools|Macro|Security).
--From workbook launch VBE using short-key Alt+F11.
--From menu 'Insert' a module and paste the below code.
--Get back to Workbook.
--Run macro from Tools|Macro|Run <selected macro()>

Sub DeleteRows()
Dim lngRow As Long, lngLastRow As Long
lngLastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find(What:="*", _
SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlRows).Row
For lngRow = lngLastRow To 1 Step -1
If WorksheetFunction.CountBlank(Rows(lngRow)) = Columns.Count _
Then Rows(lngRow).Delete
Next
End Sub

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Tom" wrote:

> Excel 2007 all MS updates
> Is it possible to delete rows without ANY data automatically? Currently, I
> have a 2000+ row spreadsheet that has 250+ blank rows.  Instead of doing this
> manually, how can the removal or deletion (squishing!) of the blank rows be
> done?  For example, say I have a spreadsheet with data in rows 1, 2,4,6,8 and
> 12.  All I really need are THESE rows with data.  I want to squish,
> eliminate, delete the rows in 3,5,7,9,10,11.
> How can I do this by 'highlighting' or whatever the entire set (rows 1-12
> above) and then performing an "delete empty row" process?
> TIA
You can install and run this short macro. (Bring up VBE using Alt+F11, Insert
- Module, paste this in)

Sub Cleanup()
For i = ActiveSheet.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Row _
To 1 Step -1
If WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 256))) = 0 Then
ActiveSheet.Rows(i).Delete
End If
Next
End Sub

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Tom" wrote:

> Excel 2007 all MS updates
> Is it possible to delete rows without ANY data automatically? Currently, I
> have a 2000+ row spreadsheet that has 250+ blank rows.  Instead of doing this
> manually, how can the removal or deletion (squishing!) of the blank rows be
> done?  For example, say I have a spreadsheet with data in rows 1, 2,4,6,8 and
> 12.  All I really need are THESE rows with data.  I want to squish,
> eliminate, delete the rows in 3,5,7,9,10,11.
> How can I do this by 'highlighting' or whatever the entire set (rows 1-12
> above) and then performing an "delete empty row" process?
> TIA
Select a column and F5>Special>Blanks>OK

Edit>Delete>Entire Row.

Record a macro whilst doing this.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:20:01 -0800, Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Excel 2007 all MS updates
>Is it possible to delete rows without ANY data automatically? Currently, I
>have a 2000+ row spreadsheet that has 250+ blank rows.  Instead of doing this
>manually, how can the removal or deletion (squishing!) of the blank rows be
>done?  For example, say I have a spreadsheet with data in rows 1, 2,4,6,8 and
>12.  All I really need are THESE rows with data.  I want to squish,
>eliminate, delete the rows in 3,5,7,9,10,11.
>How can I do this by 'highlighting' or whatever the entire set (rows 1-12
>above) and then performing an "delete empty row" process?
>TIA

0
Gord

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

Pivot Table row comparison
I'm trying to compare an old customer schedule with their new schedule and highlight the changes with colour or by hiding a row. My pivot table looks like this Prod Sched wk1 wk2 wk3 A old 3 2 3 A new 3 4 3 B old 2 2 2 B new 2 2 2 So in the above example I'd like to colour the cells for wk2- Product A in yellow, and hide the product B rows as there has been no change in demand. Can someone give me some advice about how to do this Thanks for your help Ross How about an alternative??? Your raw data looks kind of like this: Prod Sched wk# qty...

Cannot delete subreport

Rule for Deleted Items

graphs from worksheet
I am a teacher and have set up a worksheet for each class. Against each pupil there are columns showing their result for homeworks ( as a number) and other assessment tasks (again as a number). I have been able to create a graph showing each pupils progress by highlighting each individual row and using the graph tool. However as I have many classes doing it this way takes hours. Can anyone suggest a way of creating multiple graphs? Thanx -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-chart/200704/1 ...

I need to show the last number in a rows in the total pending row
I have a column where I list pending cases each month and I need to show the last number in the total pending cell at the bottom of the row. I can use an offset fomula which works if the pending cases begin in row 1. However, I am not able to get it to work if the pending cases begin in rows 4 or 5 as an example. Any suggestion? Rows don't have a bottom.............guess you meant Column. Last number in column A =LOOKUP(99^99,A:A) Last anything in column A =LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<>""),A1:A65535) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:30:08 -0800, Jen S ...

number of rows #2
I used autoformat so that my rows would alternate colors. But, it added a bunch of empty rows so that the sheet is maxed out and my file is huge. I don't need all those empty rows and I can't find a way to delete them. Any suggestions for how to get rid of the rows, or limit the number of rows on a worksheet? I know I could copy all the data to a new worksheet, but I'd like a better solution. Try this: click on the number of the first empty row, so the whole row is selected. Using the vertical scrollbar, go to the last row on the sheet. Hold down the shift key while you cli...

Delete macros

Locate a specific row or column
Hi all, Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to dray the scroll bar? Clara thank you so much for your help In VBA code, you can use: Range("D100").Activate ' Or Range("D1:D100").Select ' Depending on if you want only one cell highlighted or a range of cells. -- Best wishes, Jim "clara" wrote: > Hi all, > > Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to > dray the scroll bar? > > Clara > > thank you so much for your help Hi Clara Have you tried goto in the Ed...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

Remove stock price history in Money '03?
Hi, I have been using several versions of Money for several years now. Is it possible to remove any of the historical quotes shown in the "Update Price" window when working with "Update Prices" in your Portfolio. Does several years worth of price information increase the .mny file size? Thanks, MD. In microsoft.public.money, md wrote: > >I have been using several versions of Money for several years now. Is it >possible to remove any of the historical quotes shown in the "Update Price" >window when working with "Update Prices" in your Po...

How to delete chart

Having trouble with extra rows at the bottom of the doc
How do I delete the extra rows at the bottom of a doc. I have inherited a document that has 60 rows of data and 3682 rows of empty cells that have the boarder set. When I select and delete them, new ones reappear. I have turned the cell boards off and it still creates empty cells with the boarder. Is there any way to delete these rows? -ken Ken, Are you selecting and then deleting and then saving? HTH, Andy Ken Excel has a habit of retaining "used" cells way beyond where you are currently working. On a worksheet hit CRTL + END to see where you wind up. If far below and...

Delete blank Last page

Deleting an email

Remove all spaces in Macro
Can I change the code below so that it would auto-remove whenever there are spaces and don't have to run macro everytime? I think can code somthing to the change event of the worksheet, how to modify? Sub RemoveAllSpaces() **Application.ScreenUpdating = False **Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual Range("A14:A50").SpecialCells(xlConstants).Replace What:=Chr(32), _ Replacement:="", _ LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, MatchCase:=True **Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic **Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub what is the meaning of...

#Deleted

Can I delete this from ADSI?
Hi all, I am upgrating Exchange 2K to Exchange 2K3 and removed the Mobile information Server (which we never used it). But, I can see the CN=Microsoft-Mobile-Information-Server under configuration -->Services from ADSIedit. Can I safely delete this? or If I do not delete this, wii it have any issue with exchange 2003 mobile? Thanks! Exchange Server 2003 mobility features do not rely on that. Saving a LDIF dump may be a good idea before you delete - this provides ability to recreate the object if required. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.e...

outlook deletes inbox mail
On about three occaisions, my computer has restarted itself while Outlook Express, and sometimes other applications have been open, without my prompting it to do so. Upon rebooting, my Outlook inbox messages are completely wiped out, however, my sent folders and deleted messages, address book, ect. remain the same, and with no data lost. Can someone tell me what has happened, or perhaps how I can recover these lost emails? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, C.C. Outlook or Outlook Express? If Outlook Express and you search your drive (use advanced option for hidden f...