deleting every other cell in a column

I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use the programs
(or scripts) offered as a solution.
I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use macro's.  I
want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in these cells
happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution for deleting
every other cell where those cells had no value:
Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)

Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete every
other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains constant?

thanking all in advance


0
9/13/2004 3:38:10 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

10 Replies
339 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 5

Hi
try applying a filter first ('Data - Filter') and delete the filtered
rows/cells.

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:C9j1d.35912$Ot3.4923@twister.nyc.rr.com...
>
> I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use the
programs
> (or scripts) offered as a solution.
> I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use
macro's.  I
> want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in these
cells
> happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution for
deleting
> every other cell where those cells had no value:
> Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)
>
> Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete
every
> other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains
constant?
>
> thanking all in advance
>
>

0
frank.kabel (11126)
9/13/2004 4:35:49 PM
It is a bit cumbersome but it works.  I isolated the cells using
Data-Filter, deleted them, and the worksheet ends up with alternating blank
cells when I "show all" to restore the values I want.  Then
Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete gives me what I want.

If you could suggest a way to cut out a step or two from what I am doing
above, I would appreciate it even more.

thank you

"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
news:%23rBcx%23amEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> try applying a filter first ('Data - Filter') and delete the filtered
> rows/cells.
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:C9j1d.35912$Ot3.4923@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> >
> > I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use the
> programs
> > (or scripts) offered as a solution.
> > I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use
> macro's.  I
> > want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in these
> cells
> > happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution for
> deleting
> > every other cell where those cells had no value:
> > Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)
> >
> > Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete
> every
> > other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains
> constant?
> >
> > thanking all in advance
> >
> >
>


0
9/13/2004 5:58:59 PM
Hi
not without using VBA

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:Ddl1d.35918$Ot3.13627@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> It is a bit cumbersome but it works.  I isolated the cells using
> Data-Filter, deleted them, and the worksheet ends up with alternating
blank
> cells when I "show all" to restore the values I want.  Then
> Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete gives me what I want.
>
> If you could suggest a way to cut out a step or two from what I am
doing
> above, I would appreciate it even more.
>
> thank you
>
> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> news:%23rBcx%23amEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Hi
> > try applying a filter first ('Data - Filter') and delete the
filtered
> > rows/cells.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Frank Kabel
> > Frankfurt, Germany
> >
> > "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
> > Newsbeitrag news:C9j1d.35912$Ot3.4923@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> > >
> > > I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use
the
> > programs
> > > (or scripts) offered as a solution.
> > > I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use
> > macro's.  I
> > > want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in
these
> > cells
> > > happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution
for
> > deleting
> > > every other cell where those cells had no value:
> > > Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)
> > >
> > > Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete
> > every
> > > other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains
> > constant?
> > >
> > > thanking all in advance
> > >
> > >
> >
>
>

0
frank.kabel (11126)
9/13/2004 6:02:27 PM
Thank you.




"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
news:ekWlLvbmEHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> not without using VBA
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:Ddl1d.35918$Ot3.13627@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> > It is a bit cumbersome but it works.  I isolated the cells using
> > Data-Filter, deleted them, and the worksheet ends up with alternating
> blank
> > cells when I "show all" to restore the values I want.  Then
> > Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete gives me what I want.
> >
> > If you could suggest a way to cut out a step or two from what I am
> doing
> > above, I would appreciate it even more.
> >
> > thank you
> >
> > "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> > news:%23rBcx%23amEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Hi
> > > try applying a filter first ('Data - Filter') and delete the
> filtered
> > > rows/cells.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Frank Kabel
> > > Frankfurt, Germany
> > >
> > > "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
> > > Newsbeitrag news:C9j1d.35912$Ot3.4923@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> > > >
> > > > I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use
> the
> > > programs
> > > > (or scripts) offered as a solution.
> > > > I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use
> > > macro's.  I
> > > > want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in
> these
> > > cells
> > > > happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution
> for
> > > deleting
> > > > every other cell where those cells had no value:
> > > > Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)
> > > >
> > > > Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete
> > > every
> > > > other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains
> > > constant?
> > > >
> > > > thanking all in advance
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
>


0
9/13/2004 6:28:52 PM
You sure you just didn't clearcontents.  You may want to try it again to see if
you actually deleted (Edit|delete|entirerow) the rows.



bullseye wrote:
> 
> It is a bit cumbersome but it works.  I isolated the cells using
> Data-Filter, deleted them, and the worksheet ends up with alternating blank
> cells when I "show all" to restore the values I want.  Then
> Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete gives me what I want.
> 
> If you could suggest a way to cut out a step or two from what I am doing
> above, I would appreciate it even more.
> 
> thank you
> 
> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> news:%23rBcx%23amEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Hi
> > try applying a filter first ('Data - Filter') and delete the filtered
> > rows/cells.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Frank Kabel
> > Frankfurt, Germany
> >
> > "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
> > Newsbeitrag news:C9j1d.35912$Ot3.4923@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> > >
> > > I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use the
> > programs
> > > (or scripts) offered as a solution.
> > > I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use
> > macro's.  I
> > > want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in these
> > cells
> > > happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution for
> > deleting
> > > every other cell where those cells had no value:
> > > Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)
> > >
> > > Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete
> > every
> > > other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains
> > constant?
> > >
> > > thanking all in advance
> > >
> > >
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
9/13/2004 10:05:26 PM
If you are deleting entire row, you should not be left with any blank rows.

Are you deleting the rows or clearing the contents?

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:58:59 GMT, "bullseye"
<bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote:

>It is a bit cumbersome but it works.  I isolated the cells using
>Data-Filter, deleted them, and the worksheet ends up with alternating blank
>cells when I "show all" to restore the values I want.  Then
>Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete gives me what I want.
>
>If you could suggest a way to cut out a step or two from what I am doing
>above, I would appreciate it even more.
>
>thank you
>
>"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
>news:%23rBcx%23amEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>> try applying a filter first ('Data - Filter') and delete the filtered
>> rows/cells.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>
>> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
>> Newsbeitrag news:C9j1d.35912$Ot3.4923@twister.nyc.rr.com...
>> >
>> > I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use the
>> programs
>> > (or scripts) offered as a solution.
>> > I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use
>> macro's.  I
>> > want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in these
>> cells
>> > happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution for
>> deleting
>> > every other cell where those cells had no value:
>> > Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)
>> >
>> > Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete
>> every
>> > other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains
>> constant?
>> >
>> > thanking all in advance
>> >
>> >
>>
>

0
Gord
9/13/2004 11:56:16 PM
I am only deleting alternating cells in a column; there is no row (but 400
to 500 cells in the column).  Using the Data-Filter steps, it appears to me
that I am deleting the contents only because I am forced to go to
Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete and "shift cells up" to delete the empty
cells.
If there is a way to delete the cells along with their contents using either
Data-Filter or any other method, I am all ears.

Thank you for following up.


"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
news:3rcck0t3hp9l2bggtb9gr9csb961l72f9k@4ax.com...
> If you are deleting entire row, you should not be left with any blank
rows.
>
> Are you deleting the rows or clearing the contents?
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:58:59 GMT, "bullseye"
> <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote:
>
> >It is a bit cumbersome but it works.  I isolated the cells using
> >Data-Filter, deleted them, and the worksheet ends up with alternating
blank
> >cells when I "show all" to restore the values I want.  Then
> >Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete gives me what I want.
> >
> >If you could suggest a way to cut out a step or two from what I am doing
> >above, I would appreciate it even more.
> >
> >thank you
> >
> >"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> >news:%23rBcx%23amEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> Hi
> >> try applying a filter first ('Data - Filter') and delete the filtered
> >> rows/cells.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >> Frank Kabel
> >> Frankfurt, Germany
> >>
> >> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
> >> Newsbeitrag news:C9j1d.35912$Ot3.4923@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> >> >
> >> > I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use the
> >> programs
> >> > (or scripts) offered as a solution.
> >> > I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use
> >> macro's.  I
> >> > want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in these
> >> cells
> >> > happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution for
> >> deleting
> >> > every other cell where those cells had no value:
> >> > Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)
> >> >
> >> > Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete
> >> every
> >> > other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains
> >> constant?
> >> >
> >> > thanking all in advance
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >
>


0
9/14/2004 4:44:45 AM
I was thinking you were auto-filtering rows based on the QCO's in one column.

It appears as if you want to just filter out cells in one column and not
delete entire rows.

When in Filter mode, the "delete cells" is not available, only "delete row".

Without VBA(macros) I believe you will have to do the deed in two steps.

1.  Autofilter that column for QCO then select those cells and "Clear
Contents".

2.  Remove Autofilter then Edit>Go To>Special>Blanks.  Delete cells>Shift up.

Gord

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:56:16 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>If you are deleting entire row, you should not be left with any blank rows.
>
>Are you deleting the rows or clearing the contents?
>
>Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:58:59 GMT, "bullseye"
><bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote:
>
>>It is a bit cumbersome but it works.  I isolated the cells using
>>Data-Filter, deleted them, and the worksheet ends up with alternating blank
>>cells when I "show all" to restore the values I want.  Then
>>Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete gives me what I want.
>>
>>If you could suggest a way to cut out a step or two from what I am doing
>>above, I would appreciate it even more.
>>
>>thank you
>>
>>"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
>>news:%23rBcx%23amEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi
>>> try applying a filter first ('Data - Filter') and delete the filtered
>>> rows/cells.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Frank Kabel
>>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>>
>>> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
>>> Newsbeitrag news:C9j1d.35912$Ot3.4923@twister.nyc.rr.com...
>>> >
>>> > I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use the
>>> programs
>>> > (or scripts) offered as a solution.
>>> > I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use
>>> macro's.  I
>>> > want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in these
>>> cells
>>> > happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution for
>>> deleting
>>> > every other cell where those cells had no value:
>>> > Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)
>>> >
>>> > Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete
>>> every
>>> > other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains
>>> constant?
>>> >
>>> > thanking all in advance
>>> >
>>> >
>>>
>>

0
Gord
9/14/2004 3:35:44 PM
I am only filtering cells in one column.  How difficult is it to learn VBA?
(Because there are a few other mechanical steps I would like to automate as
well.)

And yes, after I filter for QCO in the column,
Edit/GoTo/Special/Blanks/Delete works.

Thank you for the update.


"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
news:253ek0p4qchu0hg2ri6tk94m3ktfp3458f@4ax.com...
> I was thinking you were auto-filtering rows based on the QCO's in one
column.
>
> It appears as if you want to just filter out cells in one column and not
> delete entire rows.
>
> When in Filter mode, the "delete cells" is not available, only "delete
row".
>
> Without VBA(macros) I believe you will have to do the deed in two steps.
>
> 1.  Autofilter that column for QCO then select those cells and "Clear
> Contents".
>
> 2.  Remove Autofilter then Edit>Go To>Special>Blanks.  Delete cells>Shift
up.
>
> Gord
>
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:56:16 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
wrote:
>
> >If you are deleting entire row, you should not be left with any blank
rows.
> >
> >Are you deleting the rows or clearing the contents?
> >
> >Gord Dibben Excel MVP
> >
> >On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:58:59 GMT, "bullseye"
> ><bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote:
> >
> >>It is a bit cumbersome but it works.  I isolated the cells using
> >>Data-Filter, deleted them, and the worksheet ends up with alternating
blank
> >>cells when I "show all" to restore the values I want.  Then
> >>Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete gives me what I want.
> >>
> >>If you could suggest a way to cut out a step or two from what I am doing
> >>above, I would appreciate it even more.
> >>
> >>thank you
> >>
> >>"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> >>news:%23rBcx%23amEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >>> Hi
> >>> try applying a filter first ('Data - Filter') and delete the filtered
> >>> rows/cells.
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Regards
> >>> Frank Kabel
> >>> Frankfurt, Germany
> >>>
> >>> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> schrieb im
> >>> Newsbeitrag news:C9j1d.35912$Ot3.4923@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> >>> >
> >>> > I googled this question but am unable to understand how to use the
> >>> programs
> >>> > (or scripts) offered as a solution.
> >>> > I am looking for a simple solution as I cannot program or use
> >>> macro's.  I
> >>> > want to delete every other cell in a column where the values in
these
> >>> cells
> >>> > happen to be the same three letters: QCO.  (I found a solution for
> >>> deleting
> >>> > every other cell where those cells had no value:
> >>> > Edit/Goto/Special/Blanks/Delete.)
> >>> >
> >>> > Is there a similar set of commands I could use in Excel to delete
> >>> every
> >>> > other cell in a column where the value in those cells remains
> >>> constant?
> >>> >
> >>> > thanking all in advance
> >>> >
> >>> >
> >>>
> >>
>


0
9/14/2004 6:32:39 PM
bullseye

For getting started with macros visit David McRitchie's site.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

Note the links to tutorials and other sites at page bottom.

For your particular problem with the QCO cells.......

Sub delete_QCO()
Dim c As Range
    With Columns("A")
    Do
       Set c = .Find("QCO", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, _
            MatchCase:=False)
            If c Is Nothing Then Exit Do
            c.Delete shift:=xlUp
        Loop
    End With
End Sub

Copy the code above.

Hit ALT + F11 to go to Visual Basic Editor.'

Hit CRTL + r to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and Insert>Module.

Paste the code in there.

File>Save

Close the VBE or hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Tools>Macro>Macros.  Select your macro by name and "Run".

Always best to make sure you have a current copy of your workbook before
dinking about.

Gord


On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:32:39 GMT, "bullseye"
<bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote:

>I am only filtering cells in one column.  How difficult is it to learn VBA?
>(Because there are a few other mechanical steps I would like to automate as
>well.)
>
>And yes, after I filter for QCO in the column,
>Edit/GoTo/Special/Blanks/Delete works.
>
>Thank you for the update.

0
Gord
9/14/2004 7:26:06 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?
While trying to delete very old "Sent" mail I seem to have deleted all "Sent" mail. Is there a way of recovering this mail? Have you closed Outlook since deleting the old sent mail? http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/restoredeleteditemsfromanoutlookpst.htm might help. Next time, archive the items you want removed from your active .pst file. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Sidney Friedman as...

Using Popups to select a range of cells.
Hi All I have a small request for help with code. I need a macro to have popups request the first and last cells in a range , and then to select them. Can someone help? Sub test() Dim Rng As Range On Error Resume Next Set Rng = Application.InputBox("Select your range", _ "Mousework", Type:=8) On Error GoTo 0 If Rng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub MsgBox Rng.Address End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:8mYkILA1YlvLFw7Z@chayes.demon.co.uk... > > Hi All > >...

Cannot delete subreport
I am using Access 2003 and have a report I did a while back with a simple subreport. I want to remove the subreport but for the life of me can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Hi - When you say "remove the sub report", what do you mean? Do you want to delete the entire subreport control containing the subreport, or do you want to keep the control, but change the report contained in it? The first is easy - select the control by clicking once on it once, then press delete. For the second, click the control once, then set ...

Changing the font style, fore colour and back colour of an individual cell in a VB6 listview
Hi All Again, another I've always left rather than sorting is the ability to style (bold, underline, italic), colour the text and colour the background of the text in a vb6 listview CELL. Are any of these permitations possible? Am I better using an MS Flexgrid and hidden textbox (for the edit bit)? Thank you. "Mojo" <please@dont.spam.com> wrote in message news:e%23LFCQ5RLHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi All > > Again, another I've always left rather than sorting is the ability to > style > (bold, underline, italic), colo...

keying in data in cell
I have a form that has several lines. I want to know without looking at the form when the data will not show on the line. I do not want to wrap the text, but to go to the next row to continue to put in the data. Is there an easy way to do this. Any help will be appreciated. thank you mac ...

Rule for Deleted Items
I am being told that there is a rule in place on my Exchange server that will not empty the deleted items folder every 30 days for certain users in my organization. I found a recipient policy in System Manager that says "Users Excluded from Mailbox Cleanup" but it only shows 2 users and not the 3 I was told about. But I have confirmed that the missing person has email in her deleted items folder going back to 2005 so it must be working. Is there any other location I should be looking? Also, we just had someone come in and migrate our Exchange environment from 2000 to a new...

cannot delete message from deleted items
I have a message in my deleted items folder that when choosing delete opens the McAfee box warning of potential virus and wants me to choose open or do not open, but will not delete. I have tried choosing another file and holding ctrl and choosing the file I want deleted and then choosing delete, I have tried moving it to the desktop but it will only copy there, I have tried every form of delete possible. I need help. Anyone know how? Outlook 2002. Can you empty the deleted items folder entirely? Or turn off the McAfee scanning temporarily to see if it makes a difference? Julie wr...

Clear cell from formula?
Is it possible to set a cell 'blank' from a formula? i.e. rather than setting = 0 or setting to "" (empty string) In other words IF (<data valid>, <do calculation>, <clear content>) Thanks Peter -- Peter Aspey E-mail: replace 6 by p one way: =IF(A1>10, A1*43.3, "") This doesn't clear the content (the content will be a formula that evaluates to a null string), but it will display as a blank. In article <uZCaGqSDFHA.2220@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Peter A" <as6ey6j@6lanet.nl> wrote: > Is it possible to se...

I can not delete a duplicate personal folders list #2
Vall... amazing that there isn't an easy fix for this. The instructions provided simply don't work ( tools-email accounts-view change email accounts-deliver to new account-finish-close outlook and reopen ), and none of the other offered explanations have worked either. As this is such a common problem; why hasn't microsoft provided a very EASY fix? I am more confused ( and frightened ) and don't want to make the problem worse! Your profile is corrupt, probably based on an incorrect migration of your ..pst file. Create a new mail profile and configure it to use your exi...

Retrieval of Deleted Items After Being Deleted from the Deleted Items File
I deleted a number of important emails from the deleted items file in Outlook 2000. This may sound stupid, but I completely emptied the deleted items file instead of deleting them one by one. Pretty stupid, huh. Anyone. Can they be retrieved? Please help. Thanks. Sorry for sending this again but I seem to be computer illiterate and it has taken me some time to explain the whole situation. Thanks again. unless you use Exchange server with deleted retention enabled, you are most likely out of luck, but you can try something that might help.... http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/r...

Adding a comment to a cell.
I have tried adding a comment to a cell, but it does not appear with th little red triangle in the top right corner of the cell commented. The comment is attached, but at first glance there is no such clue tha there is a comment attached. I know the comment is attached because when i click onto the cell commented and right click, it allows me to either edit or delete th comment.. I need the little red triangle to appear when commenting a cell (whe clicked away from the live cell, it seems to dissapear) - view scree shot Attachment filename: comments.jpg Down...

Refreshing fields in table cells.
Situation is as follows ... A document header contains a text box. This text box contains a table. The table has a field in each cell (20 fields in total). How do I select all these fields in VBA to refresh their values? The text box (and the table therein) are in a building block that is placed in the header using a macro. I know the cells can refresh because I see the refreshed values if I do a print preview, but I want to see them while looking at page Layout just after I have defined new field values. Field values are applied via a user form and it also here after pressing...

How can I copy a formula where the referenced cells have an assoc.
I want to copy a formula where the cells have an associated range name but all I get is a repeat of the original formula. I want to have formulas where the cell references change as the formula is copied. That is the purpose of Named Ranges. They do not change. They are not relative. Say Namedrange is A1 =Namedrange * B1 will change to =Namedrange * B2 if copied down column C, but Namedrange will remain the value in A1. On another note.......if your cellsrefs like B1 are not changing to B2, B3 etc. perhaps you have Calculation on Manual mode. Check Tools>Options>Calculation. ...

Adding note numbers to cells
I would like to be able to add printable cross-references to individual cells in Excel for Office 97 (or later). The references should appear as small text, such as a superscript in the corner of the cell. I can achieve an effect close to what I desire, by adding a "Comment" to a cell. The Comment would be just the cross-reference, and would be resized small as desired. But even if I set comments to "Show", they only appear on the screen but I want the effect to be printable. Help?? Thanks very much -- Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears Oh God, forg...

Delete macros
I am using Excel 2002. When I click on Tools->Macro->Macros... i see 2 macros. The problem I am having is that I can't delete these macros, the delete button to the right is grayed out. How can I delete these macros? Hi maybe the macros are protected. Try hitting ALT + F11 to open the VBA editor and try to delete the macros / modules there -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany excel777 wrote: > I am using Excel 2002. When I click on Tools->Macro->Macros... i see > 2 macros. The problem I am having is that I can't delete these > macros, the delete button to ...

merge cells
how can i merge the info on a large spread sheet quickly without having to do this one cell at a time. I have info in cells A1 thru HH1,A3-HH3,A5-HH5 and so on I need this info to be merged with the cell directly below it In other words I need cell A1 to be merged with A2,B1 with B2....A3 with A4,A5 with A6 ....HH5 with HH6 with our losing the info in the cells, whats the simpliest and fastest way to do this with out having to click on cell, hold shift key, down arrow, merge cell button, right arrow, hold shift key,down arrow key, merge button or format painter on completed a merged...

deleting email in outlook, freezes before i can delete
i have a file with pics that symetec scanner says is to large. i can receieve email but cannot send any. it freezes before i can delete and says non responding. Hi All, I want to re-raise the old issue of Fax numbers showing up in the Outlook Address book when one is sending an email. I know that this can be stopped by prepending the Contact's fax number with a letter so that Outlook doesn't see it as a valid fax number and therefore doesn't list it. What's always puzzled me, however, is that this fix doesn't work if the fax numbers are changed using an export to CSV...

Locate a specific row or column
Hi all, Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to dray the scroll bar? Clara thank you so much for your help In VBA code, you can use: Range("D100").Activate ' Or Range("D1:D100").Select ' Depending on if you want only one cell highlighted or a range of cells. -- Best wishes, Jim "clara" wrote: > Hi all, > > Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to > dray the scroll bar? > > Clara > > thank you so much for your help Hi Clara Have you tried goto in the Ed...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?
I'm afraid I'll have to delete my Deleted Items folder in Outlook 2000. When I try to empty the folder I get a "The messaging interfce has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists Restart Outlook" message. Is it possible to delete the entire folder and replace it with an empty new one? Will it create any problems? TIA Henrik Not possible. Run scanpst.exe against your pst-file to scan it for errors first. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Se...

How to delete chart
I created a histogram and want to delete it. I select it and the faint double border apperars. There are no square handles like in 2003. Then I press the Delete key. The faint double border goes away replaced by a single thin black border. The chart is still there and is not able to be selected at all. I entered "delete chart" in the Excel Help window, and there was nothing at all on deleting a chart. Ditto for "remove chart." I got no help searching on the internet either. I have Excel 2007 and Windows XP Professional When the border changes, can you press Delete a...

Delete blank Last page
In a word document where the last page is blank due to editing or whatnot, how do you get rid of the frigg' thing. This is a Visio newsgroup - your question was about Word. However, I have had this problem as you have. Narrowing the margins and line spacing on the page previous to the last may get rid of this annoying "blank" page for you. - Jeff Chapman "silkies" <silkies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDCC1FF1-50D0-42CE-BA84-868CB26A43AC@microsoft.com... > In a word document where the last page is blank due to editing or > whatnot...

Deleting an email
I have an email (with a file attached) that is "hung up" in my outbox of Microsoft Outlook. Now I can't send or receive emails in Outlook. How can I delete the email that is "hung up"? Define hung up. Is it trying to send it? If so, disconnect your connection while it's trying to send and wait. It will time out after a bit and you should be able to delete it. Reconnect. "Aaron Hurliman" <AaronLHurliman@aol.com> wrote in message news:03b001c34f39$0fb61ff0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have an email (with a file attached) that is "hung up&q...

Use a cell value as part of a formula
Hi All, I'm trying to use a cell value as part of a vlookup function. The idea is to keep changing the lookup query based on a the contents of a specific cell This is the forumla I'm currently using VLOOKUP($A2,'C:\Matrix0203\07-Feb03\[025-MainPub-ET-1801.XLS]Sheet1'!$A$1:$M$200,2,FALSE) I need a way to replace "025-MainPub-ET-1801.XLS" in the formula based on another cell, where this will be generated (or manually entered). Right now I'm doing a select all, find and replace to achieve this. Any help will be appreciated... Chirag Hi Chirag, You could use ...

Recovering Unrecoverable Deleted Public Folders
Long, sad story with a punch line (which is worth getting to): Exchange 2003. Ran into a situation where a user deleted 10 public folders by mistake. Using Recover Deleted Items to retrieve them, got back five of the folders (the ones that were empty in the first place) but we received the following error message when attempting to recover the other five (the ones with actual stuff in them): "Outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items in this folder. Make sure you have the required permissions to recover items in this folder and try again. If the problem persists contact you...