Deleting duplicate entries #5

Hi everyone,

I have a list with several thousand numbers (cancer morphology codes, many
repeats) with their corresponding text name in the adjacent column. How can I
delete all the repeats in the worksheet and be left with one of each number?

Example...This is what I have now (no header column, data sorted by Column
A, ascending values)

       A          B
1   8001   xxxxxx
2   8001   xxxxxx
3   8002   yyyyyy
4   8002   yyyyyy
5   8002   yyyyyy
6   8003   zzzzzz
7   8003   zzzzzz

and this is what I would like to end up with...

       A          B
1   8001   xxxxxx
2   8002   yyyyyy
3   8003   zzzzzz

Any suggestions?

Thanks for everyones help.

JG

Hi J.  Try out Chip Pearson's site:  http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"J. Gutierrez" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a list with several thousand numbers (cancer morphology codes, many
> repeats) with their corresponding text name in the adjacent column. How can I
> delete all the repeats in the worksheet and be left with one of each number?
>
> Example...This is what I have now (no header column, data sorted by Column
> A, ascending values)
>
>        A          B
> 1   8001   xxxxxx
> 2   8001   xxxxxx
> 3   8002   yyyyyy
> 4   8002   yyyyyy
> 5   8002   yyyyyy
> 6   8003   zzzzzz
> 7   8003   zzzzzz
>
> and this is what I would like to end up with...
>
>        A          B
> 1   8001   xxxxxx
> 2   8002   yyyyyy
> 3   8003   zzzzzz
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks for everyones help.
>
> JG
0
Michael5492 (655)
11/3/2005 6:41:08 PM
you can also create a Pivot table to elimiate the duplicates.

"J. Gutierrez" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a list with several thousand numbers (cancer morphology codes, many
> repeats) with their corresponding text name in the adjacent column. How can I
> delete all the repeats in the worksheet and be left with one of each number?
>
> Example...This is what I have now (no header column, data sorted by Column
> A, ascending values)
>
>        A          B
> 1   8001   xxxxxx
> 2   8001   xxxxxx
> 3   8002   yyyyyy
> 4   8002   yyyyyy
> 5   8002   yyyyyy
> 6   8003   zzzzzz
> 7   8003   zzzzzz
>
> and this is what I would like to end up with...
>
>        A          B
> 1   8001   xxxxxx
> 2   8002   yyyyyy
> 3   8003   zzzzzz
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks for everyones help.
>
> JG
0
Nikki (101)
11/4/2005 1:48:01 AM
Try this for size, works for me.

For uY = 1 To 6 'Spin thru 6 times to get them all
Qq = Application.CountA(ActiveSheet.Range("B:B")) 'Get row count befor
beginning
For oZ = 2 To Qq 'Main loop
If Cells(oZ, 1) = Cells(oZ - 1, 1) Then 'Check for dups
Cells(oZ, 1).Select 'Select the cell
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp 'Delete
Qq = Qq - 1 'Change loop criteria because cell gone
End If 'End
Next  oZ 'Inside loop
Next uY 'Outside loo

--