Deleting Blank Characters in a Cell

I have a list of names with email addresses of attendees of a seminar
series that I am trying to compile into a list that can be copied and
pasted into an email (using BCC as the methodology for emailing).

The challenge that I have is that when these files were exported from
the database to excel (not sure how), all of the cells contain exactly
100 characters even though the email address may only contain 13-20
characters.  Is there a way to "trim" the blank characters after the
last character that is used by a letter instead of blank character
field?

Thanks in advance!

PZan

--
PokerZan
PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23480

As long as there are no other blank cells you don't mind getting rid of...

- Highlight the selected cells in question
- Hit 'Control+H'
- Enter one space (ie. hit the space bar once) in the 'Find What' section
- Don't enter anything in the 'Replace With' section

This should eliminate all the spaces.

"PokerZan" wrote:

> I have a list of names with email addresses of attendees of a seminar
> series that I am trying to compile into a list that can be copied and
> pasted into an email (using BCC as the methodology for emailing).
>
> The challenge that I have is that when these files were exported from
> the database to excel (not sure how), all of the cells contain exactly
> 100 characters even though the email address may only contain 13-20
> characters.  Is there a way to "trim" the blank characters after the
> last character that is used by a letter instead of blank character
> field?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> PZan
>

> --
> PokerZan
> PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23480
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376384

0
Corey (35)
6/3/2005 6:13:04 PM
WOW, thanks  a ton!  That worked like a charm!

--
PokerZan
PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23480
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376384

You realize that will remove spaces between names etc as well?

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Corey" wrote:

> As long as there are no other blank cells you don't mind getting rid of...
>
> - Highlight the selected cells in question
> - Hit 'Control+H'
> - Enter one space (ie. hit the space bar once) in the 'Find What' section
> - Don't enter anything in the 'Replace With' section
>
> This should eliminate all the spaces.
>
> "PokerZan" wrote:
>

> > I have a list of names with email addresses of attendees of a seminar
> > series that I am trying to compile into a list that can be copied and
> > pasted into an email (using BCC as the methodology for emailing).
> >
> > The challenge that I have is that when these files were exported from
> > the database to excel (not sure how), all of the cells contain exactly
> > 100 characters even though the email address may only contain 13-20
> > characters.  Is there a way to "trim" the blank characters after the
> > last character that is used by a letter instead of blank character
> > field?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > PZan
> >

> > --
> > PokerZan
> > PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23480
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376384

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
6/3/2005 7:24:02 PM
Yes I do, however these are email addresses only in the field so there
aren't spaces as email addresses cannot contain spaces.

Thanks for the heads up though.

PZan

--
PokerZan
PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23480
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376384

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

Using Popups to select a range of cells.
Hi All I have a small request for help with code. I need a macro to have popups request the first and last cells in a range , and then to select them. Can someone help? Sub test() Dim Rng As Range On Error Resume Next Set Rng = Application.InputBox("Select your range", _ "Mousework", Type:=8) On Error GoTo 0 If Rng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub MsgBox Rng.Address End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:8mYkILA1YlvLFw7Z@chayes.demon.co.uk... > > Hi All > >...

Cannot delete subreport

Changing the font style, fore colour and back colour of an individual cell in a VB6 listview
Hi All Again, another I've always left rather than sorting is the ability to style (bold, underline, italic), colour the text and colour the background of the text in a vb6 listview CELL. Are any of these permitations possible? Am I better using an MS Flexgrid and hidden textbox (for the edit bit)? Thank you. "Mojo" <please@dont.spam.com> wrote in message news:e%23LFCQ5RLHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi All > > Again, another I've always left rather than sorting is the ability to > style > (bold, underline, italic), colo...

Rule for Deleted Items

keying in data in cell
I have a form that has several lines. I want to know without looking at the form when the data will not show on the line. I do not want to wrap the text, but to go to the next row to continue to put in the data. Is there an easy way to do this. Any help will be appreciated. thank you mac ...

Clear cell from formula?

blank GP instance
Hello: Strange question....is there anything "bad" about having a GP instance without a name? Seriously, the instance has () in Add/Remove Programs and Start...All Programs...Microsoft Dynamics shows the name of the GP folder as "GP 10.0- ". I got the Dexterity Shared Components error and used the DOS method of getting around it as outlined in a TK. The second DOS command produced an error saying that a named instance can only be created when you have an instance. Yep, it sounds like the computer was drunk or something. Nevertheless, I went along with it. I re...

Adding a comment to a cell.
I have tried adding a comment to a cell, but it does not appear with th little red triangle in the top right corner of the cell commented. The comment is attached, but at first glance there is no such clue tha there is a comment attached. I know the comment is attached because when i click onto the cell commented and right click, it allows me to either edit or delete th comment.. I need the little red triangle to appear when commenting a cell (whe clicked away from the live cell, it seems to dissapear) - view scree shot Attachment filename: comments.jpg Down...

Delete macros

Prints blank page first?
I created a publication on one computer (Pub 2000, Win98SE), burned it to a CD, and am trying to print from another computer (Publisher 2000 with Win2000 and an HP Deskjet printer). Ctrl+P, Print page 1 to 1 - and I get a blank sheet coming out first, then Page 1. Same thing happened with Page 2. Did I miss a setting somewhere? Ed Did you try copying the file to the hard drive first and then print? Open the printers and fax folder in the control panel, right-click your printer, properties, advanced tab, separator page button, clear anything it may say in the "separator page"...

merge cells
how can i merge the info on a large spread sheet quickly without having to do this one cell at a time. I have info in cells A1 thru HH1,A3-HH3,A5-HH5 and so on I need this info to be merged with the cell directly below it In other words I need cell A1 to be merged with A2,B1 with B2....A3 with A4,A5 with A6 ....HH5 with HH6 with our losing the info in the cells, whats the simpliest and fastest way to do this with out having to click on cell, hold shift key, down arrow, merge cell button, right arrow, hold shift key,down arrow key, merge button or format painter on completed a merged...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart

Delete blank Last page

Deleting an email

Use a cell value as part of a formula
Hi All, I'm trying to use a cell value as part of a vlookup function. The idea is to keep changing the lookup query based on a the contents of a specific cell This is the forumla I'm currently using VLOOKUP($A2,'C:\Matrix0203\07-Feb03\[025-MainPub-ET-1801.XLS]Sheet1'!$A$1:$M$200,2,FALSE) I need a way to replace "025-MainPub-ET-1801.XLS" in the formula based on another cell, where this will be generated (or manually entered). Right now I'm doing a select all, find and replace to achieve this. Any help will be appreciated... Chirag Hi Chirag, You could use ...

#Deleted

Can I delete this from ADSI?
Hi all, I am upgrating Exchange 2K to Exchange 2K3 and removed the Mobile information Server (which we never used it). But, I can see the CN=Microsoft-Mobile-Information-Server under configuration -->Services from ADSIedit. Can I safely delete this? or If I do not delete this, wii it have any issue with exchange 2003 mobile? Thanks! Exchange Server 2003 mobility features do not rely on that. Saving a LDIF dump may be a good idea before you delete - this provides ability to recreate the object if required. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.e...