Default Negative Number format across versions

Hi all

The regional settings on both of two machines at home are set the same:
negative numbers displayed in brackets (UK English region)
On one machine (XL97, Windows 98) I select Number Format and negatives are
prompted in brackets.  If I transfer the workbook to the other machine
(XL97, Win95) the negative numbers in workbook are preceded by minus-sign.
If I select Number Format in this workbook the negative numbers prompted in
the dialog box are also preceded with minus sign.

I used to be content to live with this, but the problem is multiplying.  Now
we have had Citrix installed at the office and all workbooks accessed
through Citrix display negatives as preceded by minus sign instead of in
brackets.  It would be a huge effort change to custom number formats in all
workbooks.

Help??

Thanks

Jack

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

0
mind-the-gap (250)

Try changing the Windows Regional settings|Currency Tab|Negative number format
to what you want.

Jack Schitt wrote:

> Hi all
>
> The regional settings on both of two machines at home are set the same:
> negative numbers displayed in brackets (UK English region)
> On one machine (XL97, Windows 98) I select Number Format and negatives are
> prompted in brackets.  If I transfer the workbook to the other machine
> (XL97, Win95) the negative numbers in workbook are preceded by minus-sign.
> If I select Number Format in this workbook the negative numbers prompted in
> the dialog box are also preceded with minus sign.
>
> I used to be content to live with this, but the problem is multiplying.  Now
> we have had Citrix installed at the office and all workbooks accessed
> through Citrix display negatives as preceded by minus sign instead of in
> brackets.  It would be a huge effort change to custom number formats in all
> workbooks.
>
> Help??
>
> Thanks
>
> Jack
>
> --
> Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Thanks anyway.

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> Try changing the Windows Regional settings|Currency Tab|Negative number
format
> to what you want.
>
> Jack Schitt wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > The regional settings on both of two machines at home are set the same:
> > negative numbers displayed in brackets (UK English region)
> > On one machine (XL97, Windows 98) I select Number Format and negatives
are
> > prompted in brackets.  If I transfer the workbook to the other machine
> > (XL97, Win95) the negative numbers in workbook are preceded by
minus-sign.
> > If I select Number Format in this workbook the negative numbers prompted
in
> > the dialog box are also preceded with minus sign.
> >
> > I used to be content to live with this, but the problem is multiplying.
Now
> > we have had Citrix installed at the office and all workbooks accessed
> > through Citrix display negatives as preceded by minus sign instead of in
> > brackets.  It would be a huge effort change to custom number formats in
all
> > workbooks.
> >
> > Help??
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jack
> >
> > --
> > Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
mind-the-gap (250)

anonymous (74725)
1/11/2004 7:51:05 PM
I am using Office Professional 2003. I cannot get Excel to display negative values in brackets instead of the minus sign. Can anyone help?
One way:

    Format/Cells/Number/Custom  _(#,##0_);(#,##0);0_);@

In article <76D8DAA4-3185-4E91-8063-F624F5AE04B5@microsoft.com>,
 "Ed Robinson" <ecrobinson@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I am using Office Professional 2003. I cannot get Excel to display negative
> values in brackets instead of the minus sign. Can anyone help?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/23/2004 5:41:16 PM
Ed

This is a function of your Regional Settings in Windows OS.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional and Language Settings>Regional
Options>Customize>Currency>Negative Currency Format.  Click on drop-down arrow
and select the ($1.1)

Apply and OK>Apply your way out.

You will have to close Excel then re-open to see effects.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:31:06 -0800, "Ed Robinson" <ecrobinson@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>I am using Office Professional 2003. I cannot get Excel to display negative values in brackets instead of the minus sign. Can anyone help?

0
Gord

Hello How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange 2007? Thanks! Look up: New-RecipientDomain Get-EMailAddressPolicy New-EMailAddressPolicy Set-EMailAddressPolicy -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Ronald" <2omikk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uOf%23x$$nKHA.5520@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello > > How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange > 2007? > > Thanks! > We have a dedicated group for SBS...

Maximum number of addresses?
Does Outlook have a limit to the number of addresses it will accept in the To: field? Stephen Stephen Green <sgreen0NO@SPAMcharter.net> wrote: > Does Outlook have a limit to the number of addresses it will accept > in the To: field? There must be some limit, I'm sure but it will be in the number of characters the field will hold (tens of thousands, like16K or 64K), not the number of addresses. -- Brian Tillman Thanks, Brian. Does anyone know the size limit? I have a link that opens Outlook (or OE, if that's what the user uses) and stuffs an e-mail list into th...

workplace default pane default tab
Hi, Strange as it may seem, some users cannot find "Default tab" and "Default pane" to customize in the General tab of the Workplace (either in Client or Web Access). Even those who already used it, do no find it anymore. How can this be achieved (customization / programming)? Thanks a lot. ...

Form defaults
Hi, I have a button on a form that disables and rearranges controls. I think I went into design view it it pressed and that control arrangement became the default. I cannot change it back though. I tried clicking the button twice and everything goes back to how it should be in form view. Then when I go to design mode everything goes to the wrong defaults. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help. ...

Column format when merging Excel data to Word labels
I have a four column Excel spreadsheet which I have Mail Merged into Word to create labels. One of the columns in Excel contains a list of four digit numbers. Some of those numbers begin with a zero. When I have merged the data into Word labels, the four digit numbers starting with a zero have the zero missing. I have tried all sorts of number formats in Excel but can't get the zeros to stay there when merged to Word. Can anyone help???? I'm using Office 2003. There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Wo...

Default Catagory
Is ther a way in Outlook 2002 and 2003 to set a default catagory to all new Calendar items when they are created i.e. "Work" and then add any others you require? Also can you add a catogory to all the existing items in the calendar again "Work" in one go without destorying any existing catogories? Thanks Shane ...

How do I change the number of postcards to print on a page?
I imported my Excel address list to Publisher to print post cards. I have the same address showing up four times on one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. How do I get four different addresses to show up on one sheet? What version Publisher? If you are using 2002 or 03 this is a Publisher bug when you view print preview. If you are unsure, print a test from the print dialogue. If you are using 2007, File, Print Merge, select Multiple pages per sheet. There is a print preview on this screen. You might have to change the orientation to landscape on the print screen. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org...

Initial PO Number at new store with HQ
We are setting up a new warehouse and have just added HQ. How do we set the strating PO number at the new store? We would like to prevent confusion with the PO's from the Stores by having an AUTOMATIC generated prefix or leading numbers as in.... WH0001233 for a warehouse PO S10000899 for a store 1 PO ...

Format Painter APPENDS Conditional Formatting
Hi, I've this annoying problem in Excel 2007 that doesn't exist in 2003. When I use Format Painter, it is appending conditional formatting rules to the cell rather than over-writing them. How do I stop this behavior? -- Thanks, Bob I can confirm that in XL 2007 the Format Painter does append conditional formats Not sure how you can override this but will report it to MS -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Bob" <86c6c2e6-2146512712@news.postalias> wrote in message news:B97B5489-7309-4914-876E-3644ABF03...

Change default outlook calendar
I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. How? David <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. > > I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete > because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and > replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. > How? Create a new PST and set it to be your default delivery locat...

Change default font and size for comments?
Does anyone know how to do the above? Many thanks Anita Hi Anita! Right-click on the desktop > Properties Appearance tab > Item dropdown, select Tooltip Choose a font Size, click OK You'll see that you can change the font and colour as well. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au To change the default font size (this will also change the settings for tooltips in Excel and other programs): Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties On the Appearance tab, click Advanced. From the Item dropdown, choose Tooltip Choose a font ...

Reducing The Account Format
Is there a tool that allows you to reduce the number of segments you have allocated to you COA in a company and consolidate the accounts? I have a client that has 5 segments and wants to reduce it down to 3. They have posted transactions. Will PST or the product from Corporate Renaissance do this? I know they can increase it... How would you reduce it? Would you be removing separators or remoing two segments? For example: AA-BB-CC-DD-EE to AABB-CCDD-EE or AA-BB-CC- DD-EE to AA-BB-CC? >-----Original Message----- >Is there a tool that allows you to reduce the number of segment...

Footer defaults
I use a consistent protocol for footers on my reports but would like those footers to exist in every file I create. Is there some way to make them the default? -- Joe S. Hi create a new workbook with this footer and save this as a template (*.xlt file) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Joe S." <JoeS@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4D12465C-3586-4F79-A000-19AB582C456C@microsoft.com... > I use a consistent protocol for footers on my reports but would like those > footers to exist in every file I create. Is there some way to make them th...

Negative value in Excel
I would like value in a certain rage of cells to always be negativ without adding minus sign when enter the value. Does anyone know how t set this??? Many thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Adhanya, One solution is to put the values in straightaway (as positive), and simply make them look as though they're negative. Select the cells, Format, Cells, Number, Custom, and use something like: -General -0.00 Then in any formulas that refer to them, negate them so they will be treated as negative. Or an event macro can negate them as they're entered. -- Earl Kios...

Sum A Named Range Across Multiple Columns
Here's another fun one that's sucked up days of my life with no progress. I have groups of columns representing the days of the week where numbers representing amount of work done (just simple whole number quantities) go. I have every other column named as Budget for the budget of work to be done, and every other column beside those named Actual, for actual work done. So basically on this worksheet, columns A, C, E, G, I, K, etc... all represent the named range Budget (=Sheet2!$A:$A,Sheet2!$C:$C,Sheet2!$E:$E, etc. �), and columns B, D, F, H, J represent the range Actual (=Sheet2!$B:...

Default organization not default
Hey, I changed my default organization of CRM. However when opening the default server URL. Still the old default organization is opened. Resetting IIS, clearing the Internet Explorer cache en even rebooting the server does not help. Does someone have more ideas?? Thx. Mirella try to disable the other organization and keep the only one . access it with default and post us if you get the error. ------ Aamir http://danishmscrm.blogspot.com/ I disabled all the organizations except the one I that needs to be de default. Opening CRM with the default URL the following error is displa...

Display a calculated number as text or words?
I have a query that calculates the number of days to complete a job. In other words it subtracts end date from start date. In a report I want to display the number of days in words. 1 = one, 2 = two, and so forth. I think this will point you in the right direction: Convert numbers into words (dollar values) How to print dollar values out in words: Check http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0001.htm at "The Access Web" -- Hope that helps! RBear3 .. "JanT" <JanT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2CD08311-91AA-47CE-B9F1-CF022ACB6138@microsof...

Find any cell with a specific format
I'm looking for a formula I can use to determine whether a cell contains variable data, but of a certain criteria. For example, I am looking to determine if column A has an Arizona license plate or any other plate. Arizona's plates are ABC1234 format. I tried to use an if statement =IF(A2<>???####,"Out of State","Arizona Plate") but it returns as an error. I put quotes around the ???#### and it looks for that specific format. I also tried FIND and SEARCH to no avail. Further clarification: I want to return all these plates as "Arizona ...

How to find RMS POS Serial number?
Hello, We are using RMS Store Operation and looking to buy RMS HQ to upgrade. Typically the serial number is on the box that came with the original disk. If we're not able to locate this, is there another way on the system to look that up? Thanks very much in advance, JP Why do you need the serial number? If yuo are on version 1.3 it is on the dongle. If you are not and are 2.0 you should have had a registration card. May be your reseller or distributor has a record of it if yo do not, Contact your reseller. Afshin Alikhani - afshin@retailrealm.co.uk Retail Realm = = = = = = ...

default mail programme
Email Client: pop how do i make entourage my default email programme. See my answer in your other thread. On 30/04/2010 14:01, Digs@officeformac.com wrote: > Email Client: pop how do i make entourage my default email programme. -- Michel Bintener Microsoft MVP (Macintosh) *** Please always reply to the newsgroup. *** ...

Setting the default contact list for Outlook 2007
When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact list, by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to make my Contact List the default? "brenda" <brenda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FED962FD-27E7-42BA-B0CE-FEA9256DDEC4@microsoft.com... > When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact > list, > by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to > make my Contact List the default? When that Address Book window opens, click Tool...

Copying Conditional formatting 01-25-10
I am trying to copy conditional formatting for specific cells from one row and past them to another. I cannot use the format painter because I need to retain the existing visible format. How can I copy and paste just the conditional rules? Which version of EXCEL? "gibbylynn" wrote: > I am trying to copy conditional formatting for specific cells from one row > and past them to another. I cannot use the format painter because I need to > retain the existing visible format. How can I copy and paste just the > conditional rules? IN EXCEL 2007 if you ...

email default
I set up my outlook as my email default (the same as in outlook 2000). The difference in 2007 is that whenever I sign on to outlook, it totally empties my aol mail box. With 2000, I got my mail but it also stayed in aol. How can I change this? Change the Advanced tab on your Account Properties to leave the messages on the server. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "Fran" <Fran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Changing & recalculating default values on a form
There are a number of occassions in my application where I use a calculated control (1) as the default value for an unbound control (2). Most of the time the user will accept this value and move forward; however, if one of the underlying values upon which the calculated control (1) is based changes, I would like the value of the unbound control (2) to be updated. I do not want to bind the control (2), because there will also be a few times when the user will need to change its (2) value independent of the value calculated in Control (1) Can I do this? Thanks so much. =?Utf-8?B?TGVM...

? change default line style from solid to dotted
In Format Cell Borders Line Style I use a dash or dotted box around cells rather than the solid line that is the default setting. How do I select a different line as the default. ...