Decimal place formatting button doesn't work when some cells already have no decimals

Say I have 2 cells w/ values:

35    35.87

If I use the formatting bar button to drop the decimal places, nothing
happens, and I get an error tone.

My recollection is usually Excel "does the right thing" and will drop
the decimals on those cells for what it can (and this is what I want
to happen).

So in what arcane place to I configure this to work the way I want it
to?

Thx

Dear TrippKnightly

I understand you want to show the cells entered as 35 and
35.87 as 35 and 36 respectively?

To do this, highlight the cells you wish to format with
no decimal points. And go Format/Cells/Number and select
the category : number and choose zero decimal points.

Excel defaults to a General formatting - ie. no number
formatting, until a format is applied as above.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
TrippLightly

0
anonymous (74719)
4/15/2004 10:49:48 PM
You understand correctly, and thanks yes I know I can use the format
command as you describe.

My particular concern was why / under what circumstances the decimal
formatting button was failing to act as it should.  (The button is
faster
than hierarchical menus, anway.)

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<18b1b01c4233b$f43da5e0$a001280a@phx.gbl>...
> Dear TrippKnightly
>
> I understand you want to show the cells entered as 35 and
> 35.87 as 35 and 36 respectively?
>
> To do this, highlight the cells you wish to format with
> no decimal points. And go Format/Cells/Number and select
> the category : number and choose zero decimal points.
>
> Excel defaults to a General formatting - ie. no number
> formatting, until a format is applied as above.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers
> TrippLightly

Sending a mail .doc, others see all formatting.
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) When I send a word doc to colleagues they can see all the formatting and editing. I cant see it on my screen nor when I print it out. How can I stoop this? Thanks ...

search work book in excel 97
how do i search a workbook in excel 97? in excel xp i click the first sheet then shift click the last sheet to select all the sheets, then click find, enter the info and it searches every sheet in the book. I have excel 97 at work and the same procedure only searches the first sheet. is there a different method. in 97 thanks for any help steve Hi this is a change in the later Excel versions. Excel 97 does not support this workbook search.But you may try Jan Karel Pieterse's FLEXFIND.XLA from http://www.bmsltd.ie/mvp/ -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Steve Goodrich wrote: &g...

SOP NonInventory Unit Cost 6 Decimal Places
Is there any simple way to increase the currency decimal places to greater than the current highest value of 5? Thanx Scott, I don't believe there is any easy or even moderately difficult way to do this, as the field types used to store amounts in GP only go up to 5 decimal places. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com "Scott Rutledge" <sersoar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E102B81B-8555-400E-843C-240C58794294@microsoft.com... > Is there any...

Styles and Formatting
Hi, I've created my own styles and formats under my normal word document that I'm happy with. However, when I open up someone else's word document, their own formats remain and I no longer see the formats I've saved. How can I remove their formatting from my styles and formatting task pane and have the file use my own formats? Styles are a document property. If the other user used styles with the same names as yours, you can attach your Normal.dot and check the box for "Automatically update document styles," but this is perverting the intent of the us...

formulas not working
My formulas are correct and reference the appropriate cells, but when I enter data to the referenced cells the formulas do not calculate a value. This is occuring on several of my spreedsheets. If hitting F9 makes it update, then try the following:- Check Tools / Options / Calculation Tab / Set to Automatic and not Manual -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference -...

help to conditional formatting from Lebans
Hi to everyone, I was tring to apply a conditional formatting to my "subform in datasheet view", more exactly I was finding a way to Highlighting the Current Row of this form. So I went to Lebans's web-site and I downloaded this example: http://www.lebans.com/conditionalformatting.htm (A2KConditionalFormatting.zip ) I imported to mydb the cls:clsConditionalFormattingDataSheetView and I followed the instruction in it (at least I hope so), every seem to work properly but the select row does not change in red! Could someone give to me a hand to understand where I am making mistake...

VBA Make Access wait API is not working
Dear All The API: Shell and Wait, by Terry Kreft is not working to me http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0004.htm I know I can not post the API by Terry Kreft, but I can post what changes I did in the original API ------ Function ShellWait(Pathname As String, Optional WindowStyle As Long) End Function ----- This is my code in a module 'Initialize New Event Make_Access_Wait 'Make Access wait till It is done with other application MsgBox "Rutina ShellWait" Call ShellWait("C:\Program Files\Dups\Batch Files\HashIt.bat") I really need to Access wait till...

Reduce currency decimals
Hi, Is there any tool which will reduce the currency decimals on our Great Plains system. We want to reduce our system currency decimals. Thank you. KT I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but there's Tools >> Utilities >> Inventory >> Change Decimal Places This utility can change the decimal places for items. I don't know of any system-wide change for decimal places. Eleni "KT" wrote: > Hi, > > Is there any tool which will reduce the currency decimals on our Great > Plains system. We want to reduce our system currency decimals....

Footer Date Format #2
Hi Is it possible to change the format of Date in the Header/ Foote Say, from the default M/D/YYYY to DD/MMM/YYY Than Sachin Hi AFAIK not directly possible. But you may use the following macro (put it in your workbook module - not in a standard module): Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each wkSht In Me.Worksheets With wkSht.PageSetup .CenterFooter = Format(date,"DD/MMM/YYYY") End With Next wkSht End Sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sachin wrote: > Hi! > > Is it possible to change the...

Start button control
Does anyone know how to open the start menu programatically? I think you should be able to do this by posting a WM_SYSCOMMAND but I'm stuck. Get the handle of the Taskbar and the Start button in it and send a WM_LBUTTONDOWN message to it. Some thing like void ShowStartMenu() { HWND hWndTaskBar = ::FindWindow ( TEXT("Shell_TrayWnd"), NULL ); HWND hWndChild; DWORD nStyle; CString sText; if ( hWndTaskBar ) { hWndChild = ::GetWindow(hWndTaskBar, GW_CHILD); while ...

How do I stop a cell from incrementally adding up?
I have a 2 cells merged, the data in the cells are always 1 of three choices ( 2-1/2, 3-1/2, 4-1/2) If I select my choice of the three and try to extend it to the next cell it automatically raises it by 1 with each cell added. For example: cell A:1 = 2-1/2 when I drag that the next cell cell B:1 = 3-1/2 then cell C:1 = 4-1/2 then cell D:1 = 4-1/2 etc. I don't have this problem when cells are not merged, is there an alternate way of merging the cells so this does not occur? Thanks in advance. EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com Hold the ctrl key ...

decimal problem
Hi all I a very strange effect when using different decimal settings and calculating some values: DECLARE @Decimal1 decimal(5, 2) DECLARE @Decimal2 decimal(30, 2) SET @Decimal1 = 0.2 SET @Decimal2 = 0.2 SELECT (CONVERT(decimal(15, 15), 0.000000000322900) * (1 - @Decimal1)) SELECT (CONVERT(decimal(15, 15), 0.000000000322900) * (1 - @Decimal2)) The first result is correct (0.00000000025832000), the second is wrong, why ??? Thanks for any comments Best regards Frank Uray Hi Frank This is what happens when you multiple these precision&scales Precision 15 + 3...

Decimal
In a laboratory test we do the temperature has to be reported to the nearest 0.5�C. Can anyone let me know how to format it so that when the result is a whole number, it leaves the decimal point out? eg 22�C or 22.5�C (not 22.�C or 22.0�C) Alan "Alan Cocks" <alandrob@netspace.net.au> wrote in message news:btlqhd$19fi$1@otis.netspace.net.au... > In a laboratory test we do the temperature has to be reported to the > nearest 0.5�C. > Can anyone let me know how to format it so that when the result is a whole > number, it leaves the decimal point out? &g...

VBA code and decimals
I have some VBA code as this: rrows=lastrow/4 if lastrow is 138 then rrows should be 34.5 but I always get 34(no decimal) How do I fix that Thanks I just did this and got 34.5 Sub lastrowdecimal() lastrow = 138 rrows = lastrow / 4 MsgBox rrows End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F21838BC-42AA-48A3-9B0C-D2139287A187@microsoft.com... >I have some VBA code as this: > rrows=lastrow/4 > > if lastrow is 138 then rrows should be 34.5 but I always get 34(no > decimal) >...

Formatting Problem
Hi I run Excel 2k I have a column of numbers going from 001 through to 700 The numbers have been formatted as custom 000 so as to accomodate the numbers 001 through to 099. They all look as they should on the worksheet. I use this column of data in a pivit table. I found that the numbers 001 & 002 show up in the pivot table as 1 & 2. I looked in the worksheet and noticed that when I select the cell (A1) with the number 001, the edit bar shows it as 1. This also applies for the cell A2 where the number on the worksheet is 002 but in the edit bar it shows as 2. All the other n...

Currency and the number of decimal places
I have an application which has neen running for a number of years, firstly on Access2000 then XP and now on Access 2003. It uses many currency fields for invoicing , credit notes etc. Each field which is of currency type has the decimal property set to 2. Up until recently the ATB balanced fine but lately it has been a few cents out. The reason is that some amounts have been put in with 3 decimal places and some calculations (eg GST of 10% of $398.68 returning to the GST field a value of $39.868) returning 3 decimal places. I guess with the calculations, I can code to make sure only ...

SUMIF non-blank cells?
We have been able to conditionally sum a column of cells (sum_range) based on the blank cells in another column (range) using SUMIF(A$8:A20,"",B$8:B20). Nevertheless, we actually need to sum the NON-BLANK cells in the sum_range column. How do we create a formula that will sum the non-blank cells? Please note that we have tried several iterations of the formula 'criteria' argument including NOT(""), NOT(""""), "NOT("")", "NOT("""")", ISBLANK(), "ISBLANK()", and so forth. ...

How do I retain formatting?
The following line of code will copy data from one sheet (Wbs) to another (Wbd): Wbd.Range("C" & lngNewRow).Value = wbS.Range("E" & lngRowNo) How can I adapt the above to retain the formatting from the source sheet? -- Traa Dy Liooar Jock The default property for a range is Value, so your statement is only assigning one value to another cell's value. If you use the range's Copy method, then you bring everything about the cell over. Give this a try... wbS.Range("E" & lngRowNo).Copy Wbd.Range("C" & lngNew...

Options Button (forms Contrrol)
When I add pairs of option buttons in group boxes, when i get to the third pair the button automatically the control cell from the first group. The happens with subsequent entries too. Adjust the size of your group boxes so it doesn't overlap the other group boxes or option buttons. -- joel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ joel's Profile: 229 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=165042 [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url] Thanks joel. The group...

format painter
Hi, I hope the Excel mavens can help with this minor but galling problem. I have Excel 2003 running on Windows 2000. If I use the format painter to copy the format from cell 1 to cell 2 (e.g., change of font) it works as expected. But if I later want to alter the format in cell 2 to boldusing the bold button, it does not alter the format. The italic or underline buttons work as expected! But I can go to the full format menu and use the font format setting (e.g., bold) and get the cell 2 format changed to bold. If I use the full format menu to format a cell I can use the bold but...

Me.RecordSource does not seem to work in Access 2007
Hi With the following code: If global_orders_due_today = True Then Me.TxtCurrentView = "DELIVERY DUE" global_orders_due_today = False Call disable_buttons Me.RecordSource = "Orders for delivery today" Me.DataEntry = False Me.AllowAdditions = False Else If global_standing_orders = True Then Me.TxtCurrentView = "STANDING ORDERS" Call disable_buttons Call disable_bottom_buttons ...

No decimals?
Hello! Is it possible to stop Money (2005) from using decimal places in the base currency? I am using a currency that uses only integers and no cents (because cents are almost worthless), and invoices amounts usually get some cents due to sales tax calculations, Is it possible to get rid of them? I find this very annoying since cents accumulate over several transactions, and end up with an slightly unreal balance... Thanks! Keiv Hi, It was possible in older version (pobably until 2001). You had to change the Windows's regional settings in the control panel before a new file creatio...

How does 'save as text' work?
What is the difference between save, save as, save as text? When I 'save', or 'save as' I get a PDF file icon, when I 'save as text' I get a 'notepad' icon. I can access the PDF file but there's nothing in the 'notepad' icon to access. Where are you seeing these options? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Ruben" <Ruben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6434BFFE-D523-4E3A-ADB9-53249E77667A@microsoft.com... > What is the difference between save, save as, save as text? > When I 'save'...

Incorrect Date Formats
Hello, When I enter a date like 03/24/06 I am getting a strange number "38976" instead of the date. I have checked the format of the cell and it is correct. It will appear correctly when I click on the cell. Using Office XP (for now). Thanks! tools|options|view|uncheck formulas Mark wrote: > > Hello, > > When I enter a date like 03/24/06 I am getting a strange number "38976" > instead of the date. I have checked the format of the cell and it is > correct. It will appear correctly when I click on the cell. Using Office > XP (for now). > ...

Retrieve value from Combo Box and Radio Button
Hi, I have two questions about Excel VBA and hope any experts can give me a hint (1) I wonder how to retrieve automatically the previously saved values from the combo box and a group of radio buttons whenever I open the workbook? (2) Everytime I need to insert an object, I copy the object to one worksheet (named as SLD) from another worksheet (named as Lib) which acts like a library. However, because of using the function "SELECT", I encounter "flickering" on the main sheet (named as Sheet1) each time an object is inserted. Is there any way that I coul...