Deactivating and reactivating cells

how can I deactivate/reactivate a large number off cells as a scenario?

I am operating with a 5 year budget, and would like to be able to switch
between different horizon alternatives (1-5 years) by simply deactivating the
cells connecting to the remaining years ( for example, if I want to use a 2
year horizon, I need to deactivate the cells for year 3-5).

Anyone?
I would really appreciate some help here:)

YOu could use an offset formula. For example, with budget amounts in
columns B:F, enter a number between 1 and 5 in cell J1.

In cell G2, enter:
   =SUM(OFFSET(B2,0,0,1,$J$1))
and copy down to the last row of data.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

assign formatted cell value to another cell
Hello everyone! If A1 has a floating point number for a date, e.g. 39647.25 for 2008-07-18 06:00:00 and I want to have that formatted string in a new cell - does anyone know a formula to apply to another column, so it puts the *formatted* value there, instead of the original number? I want the string "2008-07-18 06:00:00" as the value of my new cell, and I can't find a way to do that with a Range formula at the moment (I want to avoid looping over each row and doing it manually in VBA, for speed reasons). Thanks in advance! Lars =TEXT(A1,"yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss&q...

Deactivating an account does not deactivate the contacts?
I was asked by a user why, when an account is deactivated, the contacts are not deactivated as well. I had never noticed this but can not seem to find any information on this. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is this correct? I believe this is "expected" functionality. CRM seems to have been designed to make as few assumptions as possible as to how the average user might use it, or expect it to respond. Can be frustrating, but it's an early version. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "JenniferW" wrote: > I was asked by a user why, wh...

Deactivating hyperlinks
How can hyperlinks be automatically deactivated in a column in Excel 2000? Thanks Put the following into a code module and run it. Sub RemoveHyperlinks() On Error Resume Next Selection.Hyperlinks.Delete End Sub -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Denny" <anony...

match column for value and return next cell value
Hi, I have simple excel with one column having the Part name and secon having the Price. I want a macro which will return SUM of all the part prices user ha selected. My data looks simply like below PART NAME PRICE NKT 1000 NKU 2000 NMP 150 NPG 299 NWT 3495 What i want is if user enters NKT,NKU then it should return 3000 if user enters NKT,NKu,NMP then 3150. Can anyone please help as I am an end user and have no idea of macros. Thanks, kogant -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi I'd suggest you use pivot tables for this and select the relevant item s within the p...

Some recalcitrant custom cell styles
Hi, I had a problem with multiple custom cell styles that don't allow me to convert an excel 2007 file to excel 2003. I found a VBA example to delete all those custom cell styles easily: Sub style_remove() On Error Resume Next Dim mpStyle As Style For Each mpStyle In ActiveWorkbook.Styles If Not mpStyle.BuiltIn Then mpStyle.Delete End If Next mpStyle End Sub But there are some recalcitrant custom cell styles like: 386grabber=3DVGA.3GR _100301_VC outlook Oral Care France shell=3Dprogman.exe m AeE=AD [0]_INQUIRY =BF=...

HOVER over a cell
is it possible to have a cell pop up or become 3D when the mouse hover over it? -- just1creation ------------------------------------------------------------------------ just1creation's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35468 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=564307 About the closest thing that excel supports is a comment. When you hover over a cell with a comment, you'll be able to see that comment. Insert|Comment (to insert the comment) And Tools|Options|View Tab|Check Comment indicator only to see a red...

Conditional formatting of one cell depending on other cell.
Hi !! Is it possible to format a cell conditionally depending on the value o another cell ? For eg. If P3 contains X as a data in cell then A3 changes to red & I P3 contains Y as data in cell A3 changes to blue, similarly if P contains Z as a data in cell then A3 changes to green -- Little Maste ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Little Master's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2822 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48032 Whilst in cell A3, do:- Format / CF / change '...

Auto Numbering a cell on consecutive worksheets
I have a workbook with several worksheets. Each worksheet is an numbered invoice. As I add worksheets, is it possible to have the invoice number automatically displayed in consecutive order? What are you doing to add worksheets? Post back with a detailed step-by-step process of what you do to add a worksheet. HTH Otto "Wally" <Wally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AD11A82-8264-46A5-8128-2B9840B5BB1B@microsoft.com... >I have a workbook with several worksheets. Each worksheet is an numbered > invoice. As I add worksheets, is it possible to have th...

How can I split a cell in Excel?
I am setting up a document in Excel and need to split a cell into two additional cells, but they need to match with a previous row...I know you can do it in Word, can this be done in Excel No. You can't split cells unless they were merged. If you provide a specific example, it's possible a formula may help. Or, you may look into the Text to Columns feature. Again, without more information, I'm not certain either of these will do what you are looking for. tj "LI Associate" wrote: > I am setting up a document in Excel and need to split a cell into two > addi...

Splitting cell contents into 2 cells
If a cell contains a set of numbers separated by a hyphen (eg, 1234-5678, can the contents be splitted up into 2 cells without the hyphen (ie, 1234 in 1 cell and 5678 in another cell)? You can either do the simple: Data - Text to columns, delimited by hypen Or, you could try and do: =VALUE(LEFT(A2,FIND("-",A2)-1)) in one cells and =VALUE(MID(A2,FIND("-",A2)+1,999)) in the other. -- Best Regards, Luke M "Florence Tay" <Florence Tay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAAD53DB-68CD-4B7D-A46D-805E5EEA59D4@microsoft.com... ...

protect a single cell in Excel
How do I protect a single cell on a spreadsheet? I do know how to protect the complete spreadsheet. Hi You can't. Two workarounds: Either unlock all cells but that one, and then protect the sheet (there are things you aren't allowed to do with protected sheets), or have a macro running that ensures that the cell's content/format stays unchanged. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Bernie" <Bernie@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:F6EBDD09-789F-4346-B473-0912EC6B8C37@microsoft.com... > How do I protect a single cell on a spreadsheet? I do know how to pro...

How to limit number of characters in the cell
Hello guys, I want to ask you for a small advice. What should I do If I want to limit the number of characters/numbers i the cell. For instance: I have column named "phone numbers" and I want to inser only numbers which consist of 6 numerals (it means that max cell valu is999.999) Many thanks and best regard -- Toma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Toman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3139 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51096 Hello Toman, Have a look at ...

Deactivate
I am using the following code in ThisWorkbook: Private Sub Workbook_Deactivate() MsgBox "Deactivating Workbook" End Sub This works fine in most cases. However, if I have selected an imbedde chart on a worksheet, I find the macro doesn't run. Can anyone help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The embedded chart is part of a worksheet in the workbook, so activating it does not deactivate the sheet or the workbook. You could either assign a macro to the shape that contains the chart (right click on the chart and choose Assign Macro), or you could use a clas...

how do I create a macro to select all colored cells in a worksheet
Need help writing the code for an Excel Macro that would find all cells that have any interior color so that an outer border can be added around all colored cells. Hi, Try this. I've included the code to add the borders but you can delete this if you want to do it manually. Not this will not work for conditionally formatted coloured cells Sub sonic() Dim CopyRange As Range For Each c In ActiveSheet.UsedRange If c.Interior.ColorIndex <> xlNone Then If CopyRange Is Nothing Then Set CopyRange = c Else Set CopyRange = Union(C...

change the format of cell
I have uploaded an excell spreadsheet and seem that all cells are text formatted. I can`t change to fromat of cell to number. "Format cell" dosen`t working or change anything. On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:13:01 -0700, Exceller <Exceller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have uploaded an excell spreadsheet and seem that all cells are text >formatted. >I can`t change to fromat of cell to number. >"Format cell" dosen`t working or change anything. Changing the format will not do that. You need to coerce these values to numbers by performing a math operation...

linking cells #3
I have a calendar created in Excel - each sheet is a new month that contains the following information: the last week of the previous month, the current month, and the first week of the next month. I would like to link the cells from the "overlapping" weeks, but I do not want the "0" to show up in the cells. Is there any way to prevent this? Thanks in advance! Paula Either choose not to show zero values through Tools>Options>View or trap the zero and turn to a blank-looking character. =IF(sheet1!A1="","",sheet1!A1) Gord Dibben Excel M...

if cell A is +- 10% of cell B
Hi What is the best way to write if statement to show if cell A1 is 10% greater or 10%smaller than cell B1 thanks Pat Hi Tina =IF(OR(A1>B1*(1+10%),A1<B1*(1-10%)),"Yes","No") Note this excludes equal to +10% and -10% values themselves. Change > to >= to include these values. Regards Roger Govier tina wrote: >Hi >What is the best way to write if statement to show if cell A1 is 10% greater >or 10%smaller than cell B1 >thanks >Pat > > Roger, I believe the phrasing in Tina's request contains an OR, but what she really means i...

tranposing every third cell in a row to a column
How do you transpose every third cell in a row of data to a column on a separate worksheet. There should be no empty cells in the column of the separate worksheet that this information is being copied to. Say the data was in Row 1. This will go from A to D to G ... etc. Enter this formula anywhere, and copy down: =INDEX(Sheet1!$1:$1,3*ROWS($1:1)-2) -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Wabash" <Wabash@discussions.micro...

How do I return an empty or blank cell instead of "#VALUE!" ...
Hi, I need to returns an empty or blank cell instead of "#VALUE!". I am using the following formula to capture the last word: =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","*",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))))) Thanks in advance for your assistance. -Greg =IF(ISERROR(YourFormula),"",YourFormula) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten <gamouning@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1141408838.537854.262140@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I need to returns an empty or blank cell instead of "#VALUE!&...

Deactivate features
I just accidentally deleted all the items in my deleted items folder by accidentally clicking on "Empty "Deleted Items" Folder". Is there a way to deactivate this option? Thanks for any help. -- Bob Becker bob@becker.org www.becker.org No, you can't disable the ability to empty the trash can, just as you can't stop the cleaning crew from emptying your office trash can. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outl...

Merging Cells #2
Hello, When I try to merge several cells together all of the data is removed accept part of a word or too. So, how can I merge my data. Also is there a way to split a cell like you would do in Word. Please advise Tammy ...

Formatting cell based upon values w/in a selection
Background: I have a spreadsheet which tracks 10+ training course dates for 100+ individuals. All dates have conditional formatting applied to turn red if the date is <=TODAY(), yellow if btwn TODAY()+1 and TODAY()+30, and amber if the date in the cell is btwn TODAY()+31 and TODAY()+60. Dilemma: Column A, for each individual, needs to reflect their overall status (preferrably using the stoplight icon set) in their training. If any of their items are in red, Column A would show the red stoplight...if no items are red but yellow or amber dates are present, Column A would show the ...

Concatenate cells in Pocket Excel
Hello, I have a PDA, and I'm trying to merge, or concatenate, cells in Pocket Excel. Unfortunately there is no "concatenate" function, nor am I able to use "&" as in the desktop version of Excel. Any ideas of how to get around this? :confused: Many thanks!! -- jrd05719 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jrd05719's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24377 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=379676 ...

deactivating Multicurrency
Hello: Is it possible to deactivate the use of Multicurrency Management in GP 10.0, if a company halts its international business divisions? Or, is the use of the module so pervasive that it is best to simply leave it in place without deactivating or disabling it? childofthe1980s You can use the Registration window to disable Multicurrency Management. This will bar access from any currency selection throughout the application even if Multicurrency is registered. You will still be able to see old transactions entered in other currencies if you need to inquiry these. Best regards, -- ...

Is there a way I can split last name first name in one cell
I just got a list of customers we need to write about a new store opening. However, I noticed that the first cell contained the last name of the customer, then it has a comma, and then it has the first name. How can I change that to last name in one cell and first name in another.I would of course buy the program that will do that if there is no way to change that w/o a special program. O yes yes, how about stripping the duplicates out of the list, is there a way to do that as well. I'm an old guy, that used excel for a while, but I can't remember anything anymore, honestly......