Dates to Month only

Quick question...

I have a list of dates mm/dd/yy
and I need to pull the data into a table that counts all
items in each month.

How can I get the dates to = month?
I know that I can change the formating, but it still
reads it as a number. and will not correspond to my table
heading.

I would like to use this formula in my table:
=countif(date,"January")

The best way may be to pull the data into a pivot table, which will
let you group by month:

Say your data is in A1:B100, with A1 your date header ("Date") and
B1 your data header ("SomeNumbers")

select A1 and choose Data/Pivot table report. Verify the range that
XL uses, then click next. Click Layout and drag Date to the rows
block and SomeNumbers to the Data block. Click OK.

Choose either a new sheet or another location in the same sheet and
click Finish.

In the pivot table, right-click on the Date header and choose Group.
Choose Month in the dialog that opens, click OK and your data will
be grouped by month.

Note that data in different years will be included in each month's
totals.

In article <009201c38378$5c1b8f10$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Jim" <sewaneetn97@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Quick question...
>
> I have a list of dates mm/dd/yy
> and I need to pull the data into a table that counts all
> items in each month.
>
> How can I get the dates to = month?
> I know that I can change the formating, but it still
> reads it as a number. and will not correspond to my table
> heading.
>
> I would like to use this formula in my table:
> =countif(date,"January")

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/25/2003 3:53:23 PM
Jim,

Use a formula like

=TEXT(A1,"mmmm")

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Jim" <sewaneetn97@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Quick question...
>
> I have a list of dates mm/dd/yy
> and I need to pull the data into a table that counts all
> items in each month.
>
> How can I get the dates to = month?
> I know that I can change the formating, but it still
> reads it as a number. and will not correspond to my table
> heading.
>
> I would like to use this formula in my table:
> =countif(date,"January")

0
chip1 (1821)
9/25/2003 3:53:44 PM
"Jim" <sewaneetn97@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Quick question...
>
> I have a list of dates mm/dd/yy
> and I need to pull the data into a table that counts all
> items in each month.
>
> How can I get the dates to = month?
> I know that I can change the formating, but it still
> reads it as a number. and will not correspond to my table
> heading.
>
> I would like to use this formula in my table:
> =countif(date,"January")

For a date in A1, MONTH(A1) will be 1 for January. However, you can't put a
function of a range into COUNTIF. Instead, you could try something like
=SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(A1:A100)=1)*1)
Of course, if your dates extend over more than a year, you also need to test
YEAR(A1):
=SUMPRODUCT((YEAR(A1:A100)=2003)*(MONTH(A1:A100)=1))

0
Paul
9/25/2003 3:58:40 PM
That's what I was going to say.
Pivot Tables !
Best thing out since chunky marmalade.
Can't live without them.
You just have to invest a day getting used to them and you will
revolutionise yor work and maybe your workplace.

Seamus

"J.E. McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> a �crit dans le message de
> The best way may be to pull the data into a pivot table, which will
> let you group by month:
>
> Say your data is in A1:B100, with A1 your date header ("Date") and
> B1 your data header ("SomeNumbers")
>
> select A1 and choose Data/Pivot table report. Verify the range that
> XL uses, then click next. Click Layout and drag Date to the rows
> block and SomeNumbers to the Data block. Click OK.
>
> Choose either a new sheet or another location in the same sheet and
> click Finish.
>
> In the pivot table, right-click on the Date header and choose Group.
> Choose Month in the dialog that opens, click OK and your data will
> be grouped by month.
>
> Note that data in different years will be included in each month's
> totals.
>
> In article <009201c38378$5c1b8f10$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
>  "Jim" <sewaneetn97@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Quick question...
> >
> > I have a list of dates mm/dd/yy
> > and I need to pull the data into a table that counts all
> > items in each month.
> >
> > How can I get the dates to = month?
> > I know that I can change the formating, but it still
> > reads it as a number. and will not correspond to my table
> > heading.
> >
> > I would like to use this formula in my table:
> > =countif(date,"January")

0
Tony964 (10)

filter by date and action

Transaction Date VS Business Date

Post Dated Checks

strange date format problem

How to sort by name then date?

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

An expression for dates from and to

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

System Date
Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of "Date" type? I could not find any help on msdn that comes with visual c++. Any hint or help will be appreciated. Thanks, Behrouzk Are you just trying to get the current date. You can use CTime::GetCurrentTime() or COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() Tom "Behrouzk" <Behrouzk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8FA4B6B-73CE-4058-B50C-C9BEBAB67E68@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of > "Date" type? I could not fi...

Conditional Formatting
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that is for tracking work. I would like to have conditional formatting so that if the date in column E is between todays date and 4 weeks away then make it blue, if it is a date that is after 4 weeks away then make it yellow but if it is in the past make it red. Can this be done with conditional formatting or does it need vba? Also it would be nice if the whole row changes colour even if just the condition is on the date which is in column E - but if that can't be done then just the cell is fine. Thanks Assume the dates start in E2, select all dates w...

Time and date problem
Hello I have spreadsheet cell (B1) that contains a date and time: 05/11/2003 13:45:50 I have another series of cells (A1 to A100) that contain an increment of 30 seconds: 30.00 I would like to add the seconds to the date and time putting the result in column C, I have tried to do: =B1+(A1/100000) but the answer is wrong by 4 seconds and then gets worse the further down the column I go. Can somebody show me how to add the seconds to the date please. Thanks Tom Tom, Right method, wrong divider! 86,400 secs in a day.. change your 100000 to 86400 and you're there. Nikos Y. (nyannaco ...

Date subtraction -How to not show negative when 2nd date not entered
Hi, I have a section of a worksheet that just needs to show working days between two dates. For example, an order was entered on 9/2/07 and complete on 9/15/07 The formula =NETWORKDAYS(A1, A9) works perfectly except that until the "completed date" ise filled in, a negative number appears. Is there a way to have that remain blank until both dates have been entered? Thanks! Hi Edward, change your formula as =IF(A9="","",NETWORKDAYS(A1, A9)) -- Pranav Vaidya VBA Developer PN, MH-India If you think my answer is useful, please rate this post as an ANSWER...

changing a month by entering a number in a cell
I want to create a formula to allow me to enter a # into a cell that will display a corresponding months name in that cell. In doing an IF statement I have been getting a cricular error, I assume because i'm creating the formula IN the refrence cell, or Excel can't find the project or library. Either way I'm sure I'm not creating the formula correctly. Example: I want to enter 01 for January, 02 for February and have the corresponding mont displayed in the cell I'm creating the formula in. Is this possibe if written in the same cell? Sounds pretty simple but I can't get...

PivotTable question
Thanks Debra, For some reason when on that Date field button in the Pivot table & choose the Group & Show Detail > Group I get a "Cannot group that selection" pop up message. I'll give the other tips a shot, I'm sure those will work. thanks again -- -= cj = ----------------------------------------------------------------------- -= cj =-'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1467 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26305 If the date column contains text, or blank cells, you'll see th...

Incorrect date in creation date field
I am having an issue when creating a template I am trying to use the date field called creation date but when it is inerted into the document it shows an incorrect date? For example the file was created and saved on May 26, 2006 but the creation date field show November 26, 2002. Has anyone else seen this problem? ...

Last Balanced Date
Does anyone know a quick way to get a list of accounts and the last date they were balanced? I'm finding myself having to select each account and manually check to see if it is up to date. I would think there would be a report of some kind that would display this somewhere, but I can't seem to find one. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...Skip Skip, I've been thinking of the same exact question ever since I made the upgrade from Money 2004 to 2005. The ability to see the last balanced date across all accounts did exist in the 2004 version, and it was very useful. It...

Convert Text Entry to Date Format
Hello We were sent a large spreadsheet with hundreds of dates entered as text in this format: 04151985. Each entry has the green triangle in the upper left corner of the cells designating the data as text. We need to change the format to 04/15/1985. I have tried DateValue with no luck. I get a "#value" error I have also tried converting the text to a number first and then formating as a date using "format/cells" but I only get a string of pound signs ####. Please help. Thanks Art Sorry, I just read some of the archived postings and figured out the solution. ...

ERROR check if a date set entered violates a previous date set
I am devloping an excel program that has a list of date sets, not necessarily in sequencial order. What I want is an ERROR CHECK if a date set violates any date set previously entered. What I was looking for was that a discharge could not be typed in as follows: 1/10/04 to 4/20/04 2/10/04 to 3/20/04 The second date falls within the first and should be invalid setting off a message or an alert of an invalid entry. I am interested in making it idiot proof so that one could not enter dates within or covering dates already entered. This one really throws me, Please help. The answer to your quest...

sequential date
Is it possible to have in sequence a date value I require four dates the same before sequencing the next date, so 01/01/11 01/01/11 01/01/11 01/01/11 02/01/11 02/01/11 02/01/11 02/01/11 03/01/11 03/01/11 03/01/11 03/01/11 etc etc Cheers In A1 : initial date In A2 : =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)<4,A1,A1+1) copy down as needed. Daniel > Is it possible to have in sequence a date value > > I require four dates the same before sequencing the next date, so > > 01/01/11 > 01/01/11 > 01/01/11 > 01/01/11 > 02/01/11 > 02/01/11 > 02/01/11 > 02/01/11 > 03/01/1...

Date Intervals from dates
Hi, I've created a query that lists the dates between a start date and an end date. From the list of dates, i need to find the intervals between the dates and then find the average of that. How do I get the intervals in a column in the query. thanks heaps See: Subquery basics: Get the value in another record at: http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html#AnotherRecord The example is for the previous meter reading so you can subtract from the current value, but it works the same for dates. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http:/...