Date To Text - Maintaining Format

Hello All,

It sounds like a simple thing, but I am having a nightmare trying to find an
easy way to take a formated date field and put it into a Text field in the
same format.

For example the date format shows 01/05/2003 if I paste that into a Text
field then I just get the date serial number. If I use a macro like :
day(a1)&"/"&month(a1)&"/"&year(a1) then I get 1/5/2003

Any ideas on how to get 01/05/2003 in the text field?

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Derek

=TEXT(A1,"dd/mm/yyyy")

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Derek Timothy" <derek.timothy@bull.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> It sounds like a simple thing, but I am having a nightmare trying to find
an
> easy way to take a formated date field and put it into a Text field in the
> same format.
>
> For example the date format shows 01/05/2003 if I paste that into a Text
> field then I just get the date serial number. If I use a macro like :
> day(a1)&"/"&month(a1)&"/"&year(a1) then I get 1/5/2003
>
> Any ideas on how to get 01/05/2003 in the text field?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> Derek

0
bob.phillips (411)
8/11/2003 11:59:24 AM
Bob,

Thats great, thanks a lot. I had tried that but it didn't seem to work. I've
just realised that the cell has to be General before the function is applied
then it can be converted to text.

Many thanks.

Derek

"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> =TEXT(A1,"dd/mm/yyyy")
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>
> "Derek Timothy" <derek.timothy@bull.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > It sounds like a simple thing, but I am having a nightmare trying to
find
> an
> > easy way to take a formated date field and put it into a Text field in
the
> > same format.
> >
> > For example the date format shows 01/05/2003 if I paste that into a Text
> > field then I just get the date serial number. If I use a macro like :
> > day(a1)&"/"&month(a1)&"/"&year(a1) then I get 1/5/2003
> >
> > Any ideas on how to get 01/05/2003 in the text field?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Derek

filter by date and action

Transaction Date VS Business Date

IF Function Format -- Microsoft Query
I am attempting to pull data from SQL data table into Excel for pivot table. Field_1 is a value; always positive. Field_2 is a text flag; either "C" or"D". Depending on the flag in Field_2; Field_1 is either positive or negative. What is the format of the entry in Microsoft Query so that a Field_3 can accurately be calculated? In Excel I would entry =if(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1). In Access, the function would be IIF(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1) Unfortunately I have no idea whether it will work with your SQL data. If that fails, you can a...

What is the maximum text size in a cell
Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell. How many characters/words Thanx. NED 1451 Hi the max is 1,024 characters. You can extend this limit by entering manual linebreaks withj aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "NED 1451" <NED 1451@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4ADB9C27-1E94-4843-87F7-794177BC86D2@microsoft.com... > Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell. > How many characters/words > > Thanx. > > NED 1451 Ned The maximum is 32,767 chara...

How to do a conditional format for multi cells
Lets say based on a value in A5 I would like to change the text format for cells d5:g5 (four columns), what would be the best procedure to do this, can it be done using conditional format if each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 or is there another way. By that do I input a conditional format for each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 (if A5> "xx" then <format>. A big Thank You for all the help. dave Yes, highlight the four cells and apply your conditional format to them all. You will need to use $A$5 as the reference. Pete Hi Pete, This did not work for me. For the "value" I have =$...

Post Dated Checks

How to make text hover over icon
I've got a drawing in Visio where I've added an printer icon (actually a shape or stencil). I've made it a link now and pointed it to the website with the driver. I also want to be able to have it where when I hover over the item with a mouse, a text box comes up and displays the printer's IP address. This needs to be possible when saving the drawing as a web page. Is this possible? try this al I know many people have asked this question, and it has been partially answered previously. Here is a more complete explanation. Summary: You can add the User.visEquivTitle...

message text becomes attachment
When I received messages from a few particular people, if it contains an attachment the message itself will become a .txt attachment too. And this happens every time from these particular people. If no attachment, the message will not become an attachment. This just started happening a few weeks ago. Yet the vast majority of all email still behaves as it always did. Why would this happen? Is there any way I can troubleshoot this problem to find out the cause of it? Thanks! Try rebooting your machine. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discuss...

strange date format problem

how to save fixed format text file
I have an Excel file which is 269 characters wide. I need to save this file in fixed format but experience line wrap when using the PRN file type. Anyone have an answer to my problem? You might have to use a macro to get the result you want. See if Chip Pearson's text export macro does it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm -- Jim Rech Excel MVP You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,&...

How to sort by name then date?

Convert Text to number
How can I convert a text field to numeric value? The text values are: < 35 <15 1.5 0.015 >9900 The desired result need to be: 35 15 1.5 0.015 9900 Then in a separate field I need to store the > (Greater than) and < (less than) signs from the same text filed so: < 35 (please note the space between the < and the number 35) <15 (please note that there is no space between < and the number 15) 1.5 0.015 >9900 Will give me: < < (null) (null) > Thank you, Silvio In a query: TheNumber: IIf([TheField]=">...

Comment print format
Hello, I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this text embedded by Microsoft? Thanks, Bob Hi Bob have a look at this thread http://tinyurl.com/3xq6h Frank GT40 wrote: > Hello, > I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: > when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this > text embedded by Microsoft? > Thanks, > Bob Frank OP wants the printed comments to not show the Cell:A1 Comment:whatever The codes at your URL just change the on-sheet comment format, but the printed ...

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

An expression for dates from and to

copying text into XL & text to columns
Hi, I have a large text file that I'm wanting to convert to a table. I was hoping to simply paste it into Excel & then split the fields using Text to Columns. The problem I'm having is - when I paste the data in, instead of putting it all into one column (thus allowing me to use Text to Columns), it pastes it across 9 columns, with no actual logic to how the fields have been delimited compared to the original file. Is there any way I can force it to paste how I need it - into just one column. Any help greatly appreciated.......Regards, Jason Have you tried to open it...

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

System Date
Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of "Date" type? I could not find any help on msdn that comes with visual c++. Any hint or help will be appreciated. Thanks, Behrouzk Are you just trying to get the current date. You can use CTime::GetCurrentTime() or COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() Tom "Behrouzk" <Behrouzk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8FA4B6B-73CE-4058-B50C-C9BEBAB67E68@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of > "Date" type? I could not fi...

Conditional Formatting
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that is for tracking work. I would like to have conditional formatting so that if the date in column E is between todays date and 4 weeks away then make it blue, if it is a date that is after 4 weeks away then make it yellow but if it is in the past make it red. Can this be done with conditional formatting or does it need vba? Also it would be nice if the whole row changes colour even if just the condition is on the date which is in column E - but if that can't be done then just the cell is fine. Thanks Assume the dates start in E2, select all dates w...

Wrap text and templates
I created a template that had some columns with wrap text turned on. When I save the document as a template and tried to enter data in worksheets based on the template, the row height would not change to show all of the text. Even though I turned on wrap text again (formatting palette, alignment&spacing, wrap text) and changed cells to general again, the text would not show. The text wrapped within the cell, but I could only see one line no matter what I did. Desperate, I highlighted the row involved and changed the height manually so that all of the text in the cell could be seen. Th...