date format in excel not in line with control panel regional setti

I am running office professional 97 on windows XP platform and have a problem
with excel date formats. The control panel regional settings in windows are
set correctly to English ( united Kingdom ) with short date format of
DD/MM/YYYY.
when I apply format > cells in excel and select the date category the date
formats presented appear to be in US format i.e. MM/DD/YYYY. and if applied
to cells, the US date format is displayed.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling excel, but problem still persists.

In Access, the date formats are in the correct UK format and not US.

Are there any obvious reasons that Excel is ignoring the Windows regional
settings ?
are there any settings within Excel that can bring this in line ?

I know the obvious answer is going to be upgrade to Office XP professional,
but I can't afford the funds at the moment and Office 97 professional does
everything I want to at the moment.
0
GrahamR (3)

Have a look under the Custom formats for the DD/MM/YYYY format and use that.
Alternatively, you can use the custom format codes to make your own date
formats.  See http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk/excustf.htm for more
information.

Andrea Jones
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
http://www.allaboutclait.com

"GrahamR" wrote:

> I am running office professional 97 on windows XP platform and have a problem
> with excel date formats. The control panel regional settings in windows are
> set correctly to English ( united Kingdom ) with short date format of
> DD/MM/YYYY.
> when I apply format > cells in excel and select the date category the date
> formats presented appear to be in US format i.e. MM/DD/YYYY. and if applied
> to cells, the US date format is displayed.
>
> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling excel, but problem still persists.
>
> In Access, the date formats are in the correct UK format and not US.
>
> Are there any obvious reasons that Excel is ignoring the Windows regional
> settings ?
> are there any settings within Excel that can bring this in line ?
>
> I know the obvious answer is going to be upgrade to Office XP professional,
> but I can't afford the funds at the moment and Office 97 professional does
> everything I want to at the moment.
Thanks, that solves the problem. but it is still niggling why Excel is not in
line with regional settings. I will just have toaccept it as a 'feature'

"Andrea Jones" wrote:

> Have a look under the Custom formats for the DD/MM/YYYY format and use that.
> Alternatively, you can use the custom format codes to make your own date
> formats.  See http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk/excustf.htm for more
> information.
>
> Andrea Jones
> http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
> http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
> http://www.allaboutclait.com
>
> "GrahamR" wrote:
>
> > I am running office professional 97 on windows XP platform and have a problem
> > with excel date formats. The control panel regional settings in windows are
> > set correctly to English ( united Kingdom ) with short date format of
> > DD/MM/YYYY.
> > when I apply format > cells in excel and select the date category the date
> > formats presented appear to be in US format i.e. MM/DD/YYYY. and if applied
> > to cells, the US date format is displayed.
> >
> > I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling excel, but problem still persists.
> >
> > In Access, the date formats are in the correct UK format and not US.
> >
> > Are there any obvious reasons that Excel is ignoring the Windows regional
> > settings ?
> > are there any settings within Excel that can bring this in line ?
> >
> > I know the obvious answer is going to be upgrade to Office XP professional,
> > but I can't afford the funds at the moment and Office 97 professional does
> > everything I want to at the moment.
0
GrahamR (3)
7/25/2005 4:21:01 PM
Hello Graham

I have the same DMY versus MDY problem in Excel 2000. I do not understand
why Excel isn't complying with the date format per the Regional Settings. I
was wondering if you ever resolved this issue?

Regards

JT

"GrahamR" wrote:

> Thanks, that solves the problem. but it is still niggling why Excel is not in
> line with regional settings. I will just have toaccept it as a 'feature'
>
> "Andrea Jones" wrote:
>
> > Have a look under the Custom formats for the DD/MM/YYYY format and use that.
> > Alternatively, you can use the custom format codes to make your own date
> > formats.  See http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk/excustf.htm for more
> > information.
> >
> > Andrea Jones
> > http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
> > http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
> > http://www.allaboutclait.com
> >
> > "GrahamR" wrote:
> >
> > > I am running office professional 97 on windows XP platform and have a problem
> > > with excel date formats. The control panel regional settings in windows are
> > > set correctly to English ( united Kingdom ) with short date format of
> > > DD/MM/YYYY.
> > > when I apply format > cells in excel and select the date category the date
> > > formats presented appear to be in US format i.e. MM/DD/YYYY. and if applied
> > > to cells, the US date format is displayed.
> > >
> > > I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling excel, but problem still persists.
> > >
> > > In Access, the date formats are in the correct UK format and not US.
> > >
> > > Are there any obvious reasons that Excel is ignoring the Windows regional
> > > settings ?
> > > are there any settings within Excel that can bring this in line ?
> > >
> > > I know the obvious answer is going to be upgrade to Office XP professional,
> > > but I can't afford the funds at the moment and Office 97 professional does
> > > everything I want to at the moment.
0
Siskin (1)

filter by date and action

How do I reposition a column on an excel spreadsheet
I want to move column J with data over to become column B. How to do this? Select Col J. Right click>Cut Select ColB. Right click>Insert Cut Cells -- Jacob "JonesALewis" wrote: > I want to move column J with data over to become column B. How to do this? Jacob's was is a good way of doing it. Here is another. Highlight the column. Hold down the Shift Key and Drag it to column B and Drop it. Note that when you are holding the shift key and drag you get an I Beam to indicate where you are about to drop the row. If you do not hold down the Shift key...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

IF Function Format -- Microsoft Query
I am attempting to pull data from SQL data table into Excel for pivot table. Field_1 is a value; always positive. Field_2 is a text flag; either "C" or"D". Depending on the flag in Field_2; Field_1 is either positive or negative. What is the format of the entry in Microsoft Query so that a Field_3 can accurately be calculated? In Excel I would entry =if(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1). In Access, the function would be IIF(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1) Unfortunately I have no idea whether it will work with your SQL data. If that fails, you can a...

Post Dated Checks

How to do a conditional format for multi cells
Lets say based on a value in A5 I would like to change the text format for cells d5:g5 (four columns), what would be the best procedure to do this, can it be done using conditional format if each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 or is there another way. By that do I input a conditional format for each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 (if A5> "xx" then <format>. A big Thank You for all the help. dave Yes, highlight the four cells and apply your conditional format to them all. You will need to use $A$5 as the reference. Pete Hi Pete, This did not work for me. For the "value" I have =$...

Automation Excel too slow..
I like to get some help from Excel-automation-experienced guys: I started from article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186122/ which shows how to open, read some contents, close excel file in MFC. I copied codes from article and pasted to OnInitDialog() with slight modification. Every time I click button, it opens, reads, displays Excel file contents in poped-up dialog, then when OK button clicked, it closes Excel file and application. It seems works and I have two problems here(I am using VC++6.0, win2000, excel 2000): 1. Too slow.. about 8 seconds after button clicked, 'Server Busy'...

Help with an Excel formula
Hey, wondering if anyone can help me with a formula i need it to recognise that if the answer is negative it needs to be red. I think i need an if/then statement but do not know how?? Eg say the formula was just simply = F15-G15 then i need something to say if this anwer is negative then highlight red any help would be great thanks Create a custom format. Right click on the cell, choose Format Cells... On the Number tab, choose Custom. Try one of the formats with [Red] in it. If you like it, great. If not, you can create your own format. The rule is anythi...

Embedded Excel Objects in Word convert to pictures

how to save fixed format text file
I have an Excel file which is 269 characters wide. I need to save this file in fixed format but experience line wrap when using the PRN file type. Anyone have an answer to my problem? You might have to use a macro to get the result you want. See if Chip Pearson's text export macro does it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm -- Jim Rech Excel MVP You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,&...

Vanishing Control Toolbox Command Buttons
I have recently had my work PC upgraded from Windows NT to XP, and am now using Excel 2003 rather than 97. A spreadsheet I use each day contains a number of command buttons (from the control toolbox menu rather than forms). When I open this spreadsheet I cannot see the buttons. If I click on where the buttons are they still work, and I can still see the code behind them, but I cannot see the buttons themselves. Similarly if I try to create a new command button - or indeed any control - from the control toolbox I get the same problem. But again I am able to create buttons from the form...

strange date format problem

Is there an interpolation-function in Excel to read a chart more .
Your question appears to be incomplete. It is usually best to elaborate in the body of your post. The worksheet functions FORECAST(), TREND(), and GROWTH() can be used to interpolate linear, multiple linear (including polynomial) and exponential regressions. Jerry ...

How to sort by name then date?

Excel price history import...
Hello, I have Money 2004 Deluxe and an excel file with a mutual fund price history. Is there a way to import the price history straight from the excel file avoiding manual imput??? (online update doesn't work because the mutual fund I'm dealing with is not available) Thanks, Lionel Modi ...

how do i add a logo to an excel 2003 invoice template?
In Office 2000 you were able to add a logo in the left upper corner of an invoice when customizing. In Office 2003 it seems that you cannot. PLEASE HELP! Thank You I don't know what special facility Office 2000 had, but can't you just paste a bitmap onto the Excel cell? - DH ...

if statement with dates #2

When I open Excel, 3 un-requested xls.docs are opened. Why?
Each time I open my Excel program, three excel documents open as well. I want to change this so it does not happen. How do I do this? Thanks Lisa Lisam wrote: > Each time I open my Excel program, three excel documents open as well. I > want to change this so it does not happen. How do I do this? > Thanks > Lisa At startup Excel will automatically open any file stored in the XLStart subdirectory. To find whether this subdirectory is in it's default location, or whether it's been redefined elsewhere, click on Tools>Options>General and look at the startup fi...

Comment print format
Hello, I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this text embedded by Microsoft? Thanks, Bob Hi Bob have a look at this thread http://tinyurl.com/3xq6h Frank GT40 wrote: > Hello, > I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: > when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this > text embedded by Microsoft? > Thanks, > Bob Frank OP wants the printed comments to not show the Cell:A1 Comment:whatever The codes at your URL just change the on-sheet comment format, but the printed ...

Underlined formatting comments in Word 2003
Some days ago I got some good tips from readers in this forum, re unwanted red colored, underlined, formatting comments in plain documents. Comments which I printed, but somehow have lost. These comments have now popped up in some other document. When I am inside this document, it seems as if I really managed to get rid of the formatting comments. Then I save the document in normal way, then exit from Word 2003. Next when I open up the same document, those underlined comments come up again. Feel like a little swearing !! -- ___________ Knut Willy Double-click TR...

Counting Dates?

Links error when insert line/row to source workbook
I have a question regarding links on Microsoft Excel 2003. If I insert a line into the source spreadsheet, the link on the destination spreadsheet doesn't work anymore because the cells moved. The scenario: On the destination spreadsheet, the link is =[ACME.xls]Sheet1'!A1 But if I insert a line on ACME.xls, making the info in cell A1 move down to A2, the link on the destination spreadsheet still pulls from cell A1. How do I ensure that when I insert/delete lines/row, the link still pulls info from the correct cell? Thanks Stella If you have the workbook with the fo...