data validation not enforced with a named range source excel 2002 sp2

I have a cell with the following data validation settings
that still allows any cell value inspite of the
validation. The drop down list works, but is not enforced.
How can I enforce this validation?

Settings:
Allow=List
Ignore Blank=Yes
In-cell dropdown=Yes
Source="=Comment" (Comment is a named range)

Input Message:
Show message...=Yes
Title and message entered.

Error Alert:
Show alert...=Yes
Style=Stop
Title and message entered.

Source should be

=Comment

I don't know if that is what you have?

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Jeffx" <microsoft.public.excel.misc@jeffx.NET> wrote in message
> I have a cell with the following data validation settings
> that still allows any cell value inspite of the
> validation. The drop down list works, but is not enforced.
> How can I enforce this validation?
>
> Settings:
> Allow=List
> Ignore Blank=Yes
> In-cell dropdown=Yes
> Source="=Comment" (Comment is a named range)
>
> Input Message:
> Show message...=Yes
> Title and message entered.
>
> Error Alert:
> Show alert...=Yes
> Style=Stop
> Title and message entered.

0
terre08 (1112)
7/30/2004 6:25:00 PM
If there are blank cells in the source range, any value will be allowed
in the data validation cell.

If that's the problem, you could use a dynamic range as the source.
There are instructions here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
7/30/2004 7:10:05 PM
Yes to both questions.

Source is:
=Comment

I need a blank cell by default because of what I am using
this for, so there is a blank cell in the range specified.

I will take a look at using a dynamic range and thanks for
the assistance!

0
anonymous (74721)

document tracker using Excel not Access
does anyone have a document tracker using Excel; our office uses Access but I don't like it ...

horizontal data to vertical data

Excel 2007
When files are already open by another user, we have found that only users with Administrator permissions on their computers are able to open files read-only. If the user only has basic user permissions they receive a message stating the file could not be found. This was not a problem with Office 2000 (which we recently upgraded from). Any ideas? Thanks, Chris ...

ms excel 2000 password
I am using MSExcel2000. I want the user to enter the password everytime they open the excel sheet. I tried to go the option Tools----Option but there is no Security Tab. What is the other way in Excel2000 to set the password for the file? Hi you have to go to the Tools menu within the Saveas dialog ('File - Saveas') "Ash" wrote: > I am using MSExcel2000. I want the user to enter the password everytime they > open the excel sheet. I tried to go the option Tools----Option but there is > no Security Tab. What is the other way in Excel2000 to set the password for...

export public folder data?

storing read only data

file names in excel
When I try to name a file all I get saved is the first letter of the title I have entered. What is set wrong? Doesn't sound right. Show us the code that you use. -- HTH Bob Phillips "TonyB" <TonyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BCC8463-39BE-40D2-84C4-44311DEE14FA@microsoft.com... > When I try to name a file all I get saved is the first letter of the title I > have entered. > > What is set wrong? WinXP? Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode...

How to organize data?

Check Names with Exchange 2003
I have Outlook 2000 clients installed on a network with Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 servers. When Outlook is connected to an Exchange 5.5 mailbox (thus using Exchange DS) and the user enters a partial last name/first name combination separated by a comma (i.e. May, Hu when looking for Mayo, Hugh) the "Check Names" query is successful and all entries with those characters are retrieved. When Outlook is connected to an Exchange 2003 mailbox (thus using AD) and the same query is executed it fails. If a space is used instead of a comma the query is successful. Is there a way to...

Unable to open Excel file #4
Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding. The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a diskette. Sounds like a bad disk. Copy the disk to the hard drive somewhere an try to open there. -- kkkni ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=754 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26520 Vic Cop...

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

RE Outlook 2002 Archive
Hi When I archive certain mail from Outlook 2002. How can I see what is in the archive file later. Mark <markvw@jmbs.co.za> wrote: > Hi > > When I archive certain mail from Outlook 2002. How can I > see what is in the archive file later. Just open the Archive PST. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn't speak for me. ...

data file: how to start its application

Formula for associating roles with names
I have a defect database with a list of people's names, defect numbers, date entered, etc, which I have imported into excel. There is a finite number of names that appear multiple times in column A. I woud like to create a second column that automatically associates a role with a name. For example, for every instance of "Mike" in column A, I'd like column B to display "Developer." For every instance of the name "Bill" in column A I would like to display the role "QA." I can create a separate table with mappings of names to roles for all t...

Excel
Hi, is it only possible to add a combo box to a user form? If i create a generic function i'd like to be accessible to me anytime (like th sum function int he toolbar but different) what would be the best wa fo doing it (ie. a button i click but a button that's always visible). A simple button can be made into a user created toolbar, but if thi function of mine has certain options and I'd like to show those option in a combo box (Well only one option :) and have a command butto beside that... (I guess that would be a combo box with a list and command button) can I put these two...

merging data
I have a master file and 4 workbooks where individuals enter info daily. I need to update the master file workbook at the end of the day with the info from the 4 individual notebooks. How would I merge this data? I tried the "shared workbooks" process but it wouldn't let me do it. Please Help! Since your question is very "general", here's a "general" suggestion: Explore the use of links. Have all WBs open. Right click in a pertinent data cell of one of the 4 WBs, and choose "Copy". Navigate to the appropriate cell in the "Master&quo...

Vertical Data Extraction
Hi, I need to create a chart that is based on changing values. The Values are all stored vertically in a Worksheet called Percentage. The chart sheet contains a selection box where the user can select a specific search and a date and the selected conditions should be searched for and the chart should display results. Basically, when the user selects X in the first list box and Y in the second one, the code should search the Percentage worksheet for all instances of value=x and y and output. column Row Feature1 Feature2 Feature3 2000 0.5 8.3 10 2000 ...

money 2002 #27
please help me! i cannot get money to start on my computer - i've been using money for over 5 years and have never had this problem before. i wanted to send a support request to microsoft, but they require the product serial number - since i can't start the program, i can't retrieve the number! what can i do? can anyone help me?? In microsoft.public.money, laura f wrote: >please help me! i cannot get money to start on my >computer - i've been using money for over 5 years and >have never had this problem before. i wanted to send a >support request to micro...

Saving a Excel 97 file into Excel 2003 file
There is no problem in opening a Excel97 file into Excel 2003. The problem occurs when trying to perform "Save As" after that. The error message is "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications." The file is only about 2.5MB and there is no other applications running in the background except the normal firewall and antivirus programs. The interesting thing about this problem is that, it occurs on one PC and not on another? Both PC got 512MB DDR Ram and plenty of space in hard drives. The total paging s...