Data validation, cell protection or other method?

I have used data validation to set parameters for valid data entry and I have
also used cell protection to prevent any type of data entry. What I am trying
to do in this instance is to prevent data entry but, instead of the standard
message that pops up when using cell protection, I want to display a
customized message such as:

Data for these fields must be entered in "Project Assumptions"

Can Data validation be used to prevent data entry of any kind or do I need
to look for a VBA solution?
0
KG (96)

Say you want A1:A10 to be restricted.

Select the range, A1:A10, then in Data Validation,
Check "Custom" in the Allow window, and enter this formula:
=A1=""

Then, click the "Input Message" tab, and type in your message,
"Data Must Be Entered In "P.A."

Then click <OK>.

Now, just clicking in any restricted cell will bring up that special
message, even before any attempt is made to key in data.
If the message is ignored, and data is keyed in, when <Enter> is hit, the
"Error Alert" message comes up, which you can also customize to your liking.
--
HTH,

RD

"KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have used data validation to set parameters for valid data entry and I
have
> also used cell protection to prevent any type of data entry. What I am
trying
> to do in this instance is to prevent data entry but, instead of the
standard
> message that pops up when using cell protection, I want to display a
> customized message such as:
>
> Data for these fields must be entered in "Project Assumptions"
>
> Can Data validation be used to prevent data entry of any kind or do I need
> to look for a VBA solution?

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
3/28/2005 3:54:57 AM
The special message only appears after I type in the restricted cells and hit
<Enter> but I can live with that. Thank you for your help.
"Ragdyer" wrote:

> Say you want A1:A10 to be restricted.
>
> Select the range, A1:A10, then in Data Validation,
> Check "Custom" in the Allow window, and enter this formula:
> =A1=""
>
> Then, click the "Input Message" tab, and type in your message,
> "Data Must Be Entered In "P.A."
>
> Then click <OK>.
>
> Now, just clicking in any restricted cell will bring up that special
> message, even before any attempt is made to key in data.
> If the message is ignored, and data is keyed in, when <Enter> is hit, the
> "Error Alert" message comes up, which you can also customize to your liking.
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

> "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have used data validation to set parameters for valid data entry and I
> have
> > also used cell protection to prevent any type of data entry. What I am
> trying
> > to do in this instance is to prevent data entry but, instead of the
> standard
> > message that pops up when using cell protection, I want to display a
> > customized message such as:
> >
> > Data for these fields must be entered in "Project Assumptions"
> >
> > Can Data validation be used to prevent data entry of any kind or do I need
> > to look for a VBA solution?

0
KG (96)
3/28/2005 4:17:03 AM
Ignore the previous post! I had put my message in the error alert, not in the
Input Message. This does exactly what I want. Thanks!!!

"Ragdyer" wrote:

> Say you want A1:A10 to be restricted.
>
> Select the range, A1:A10, then in Data Validation,
> Check "Custom" in the Allow window, and enter this formula:
> =A1=""
>
> Then, click the "Input Message" tab, and type in your message,
> "Data Must Be Entered In "P.A."
>
> Then click <OK>.
>
> Now, just clicking in any restricted cell will bring up that special
> message, even before any attempt is made to key in data.
> If the message is ignored, and data is keyed in, when <Enter> is hit, the
> "Error Alert" message comes up, which you can also customize to your liking.
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

> "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have used data validation to set parameters for valid data entry and I
> have
> > also used cell protection to prevent any type of data entry. What I am
> trying
> > to do in this instance is to prevent data entry but, instead of the
> standard
> > message that pops up when using cell protection, I want to display a
> > customized message such as:
> >
> > Data for these fields must be entered in "Project Assumptions"
> >
> > Can Data validation be used to prevent data entry of any kind or do I need
> > to look for a VBA solution?

0
KG (96)
3/28/2005 4:21:02 AM
Appreciate the feed-back.
--

Regards,

"Ragdyer" wrote:

> Say you want A1:A10 to be restricted.
>
> Select the range, A1:A10, then in Data Validation,
> Check "Custom" in the Allow window, and enter this formula:
> =A1=""
>
> Then, click the "Input Message" tab, and type in your message,
> "Data Must Be Entered In "P.A."
>
> Then click <OK>.
>
> Now, just clicking in any restricted cell will bring up that special
> message, even before any attempt is made to key in data.
> If the message is ignored, and data is keyed in, when <Enter> is hit, the
> "Error Alert" message comes up, which you can also customize to your
liking.
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

-
-
> "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have used data validation to set parameters for valid data entry and I
> have
> > also used cell protection to prevent any type of data entry. What I am
> trying
> > to do in this instance is to prevent data entry but, instead of the
> standard
> > message that pops up when using cell protection, I want to display a
> > customized message such as:
> >
> > Data for these fields must be entered in "Project Assumptions"
> >
> > Can Data validation be used to prevent data entry of any kind or do I
need
> > to look for a VBA solution?

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
3/28/2005 4:09:37 PM
You should be able to set custom messages using Data validation. Just choose
Data-->Validation, and hit the Error Message tab of that dialog.

"KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have used data validation to set parameters for valid data entry and I
have
> also used cell protection to prevent any type of data entry. What I am
trying
> to do in this instance is to prevent data entry but, instead of the
standard
> message that pops up when using cell protection, I want to display a
> customized message such as:
>
> Data for these fields must be entered in "Project Assumptions"
>
> Can Data validation be used to prevent data entry of any kind or do I need
> to look for a VBA solution?

horizontal data to vertical data

export public folder data?

Count how many times conditional formatted cells are positive
Once you have applied conditional formatting, is it possible to count the number of cells that turn the different colours? Counting by colors requires code (a UDF). However, the simple workaround is to count by the same condition that triggers the color. If, for example, your condition is a positive number, then use: =countif(range,">0") Regards, Fred "Caroline Keen" <Caroline Keen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:735CAC6E-3664-4CAF-A702-F28E165AC7A0@microsoft.com... > Once you have applied conditional formatting, is it possib...

storing read only data

How to organize data?

Protecting certain cells #2
How can I lock only certain cells in excel. I dont want to lock the whole sheet, only the cells that have formulas in them. ...

How to add a space after each text value in all the cells in a row
I want to add a space (or any character(s)) after each text value in all the cells in a row or in a column For example, cell A2 contains "ABC", cell B2 contains "DEF", and so on. I want to make all the cells in row 2 to have a space so cell A2 contains "ABC ", cell B2 contains "DEF ",... try going to an empty part of the sheet (say row a4) & type =a2&" " or "[any character]" then copy that across the row for your range. after calc you can copy the range & paste special (values) back into range a2 ...X2 &am...

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

How do I count cells with non zero values?
I want to tally the number of cells in a column that have non zero values. The cout function seem to insist on counting zeros. THe bulk data has plus and minus values. I can separate them but I have to show a true or false or zero rahter than blank (I would prefer blank). So how can I tally the entries in each column with out counting zeros? Assuming the values are all numeric, ie no text values, try =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"<>"&0) Regards, Alan. "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FDBB61F-7EAC-421B-A1F2-3AC4617A7F7A@microsoft.co...

Entering Formula
I'm using Excel 2007 When I'm entering a formula into a cell, the text of this formula if longer than the cell covers the cell to the right and then I cannot click on this cell to automatically put that reference in the formula. The same happens when you are in a table, but the formula is centered on the cell, expanding left and right. The names of the cells in a table are very long 'Table4[[This Row],[Column Name]' and thus is you select a few cells the formula description is very long and you cannot 'click' on the cells to the left or right. Is t...

data file: how to start its application

merging data
I have a master file and 4 workbooks where individuals enter info daily. I need to update the master file workbook at the end of the day with the info from the 4 individual notebooks. How would I merge this data? I tried the "shared workbooks" process but it wouldn't let me do it. Please Help! Since your question is very "general", here's a "general" suggestion: Explore the use of links. Have all WBs open. Right click in a pertinent data cell of one of the 4 WBs, and choose "Copy". Navigate to the appropriate cell in the "Master&quo...

Vertical Data Extraction
Hi, I need to create a chart that is based on changing values. The Values are all stored vertically in a Worksheet called Percentage. The chart sheet contains a selection box where the user can select a specific search and a date and the selected conditions should be searched for and the chart should display results. Basically, when the user selects X in the first list box and Y in the second one, the code should search the Percentage worksheet for all instances of value=x and y and output. column Row Feature1 Feature2 Feature3 2000 0.5 8.3 10 2000 ...

Pie Chart from data
Hi, I am trying to create a pie chart from the below data just to show the percentages of what work orders are maj, med and min. How do I set this up!! Thanks in Advance!!! how can i create a pie char By following the directions within the Chart Wizard. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <9265C290-B0B6-4CAD-B909-5EDFCE7DC415@microsoft.com>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can i create a pie chart > > ...

How to set cell to a comment from another cell?
How do I make one cell equal to the comment in another cell? One would think that =comment(A1) would do it, but of course it doesn't. Can anyone help? You need a UDF (User Defined Function). Copy the UDF below... '/=======================================/ Public Function Comment(rng As Range) 'rng must point to a single cell 'Get Text in a comment of one (1) cell Application.Volatile On Error GoTo err_Function Comment = rng.Comment.Text exit_Function: On Error Resume Next Exit Function err_Function: GoTo exit_Function End Function '/=====...

Varying data ranges
Hi, I am preparing a large number of identical reports on Excel fro imported data of varying sizes (e.g. some imported data is 400 row long, some 600, but all have the same number of columns). I hav recorded macros to take the data from its raw form to its complete form in order to releive the repetitive nature of this process, howeve the macro does not take into account the varying sizes of the raw data even when I use the Ctrl+Shft+End command. I am left with a lot o manual 'tidying up' of the reports after the macros have run. I have around 1,800 reports to complete so if ther...

changing data
Please can someone tell me how to do an automatic change all the way down a column. For example, i have a list of applications throughout a spreasheet as follows Approach, Eurosys, Oscar, Pivot_Pro Pivot_Pro, Oscar, Approach, i need to change exery occurance of Pivot_Pro to Pivot (Dual) how will i do this please help? Hi Press <Ctrl><H> In the find box, type in the existing name, in the change to box, type the new name, click on Change All, and its done -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "danzelindistress" wrote: &...

Baffled by missing data on printout
I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main form. I then save all that data into a local table, then read it back from a report. The report loads the same subforms which reload the data. All that is working fine on screen, and on print preview. Then, when sent to a printer, all te text boxes are blank! What could *possibly* cause this? I switched printers, used a pdf output printer (save to disk in PDF), and with same results. Any ideas? Rick wrote: > I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main > form. I then save all t...

custom cell format
I want to creat a format for entering locker combinations. I haven't been able to make it work. Any assistance is appreciated. The format is: ##-##-## U, M, or L 34-35-26U or 12-21-37M Have done it before but many years ago on an old version. I am using Office 2000. Thanks for your assistance. Bob Simons bsimons@muhsd.k12.ca.us One way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom 00-00-00\U or 00-00-00\M In article <006f01c47a4b$9b17ca60$a501280a@phx.gbl>, "bsimons@muhsd.k12.ca.us" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to creat a format for ...