Data Text to Columns

I have a large column and would like to split it for the literal that says
"Company Name" and then have the company name right next to it which is
enterable. I tried using Data/Text to Columns, Fixed Width, sliding the arrow
after Company Name: and it did not seem to split the column. I also tried
putting an arrow out a ways so that there looked as though there were two
defined fields and that didn't seem to work either.

Am I approaching this the right way???

HELP!!!

Thanks!
0
RTP (23)

Hi
this is not possible in Excel. You have to use two columns for this

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

RTP wrote:
> I have a large column and would like to split it for the literal that
> says "Company Name" and then have the company name right next to it
> which is enterable. I tried using Data/Text to Columns, Fixed Width,
> sliding the arrow after Company Name: and it did not seem to split
> the column. I also tried putting an arrow out a ways so that there
> looked as though there were two defined fields and that didn't seem
> to work either.
>
> Am I approaching this the right way???
>
> HELP!!!
>
> Thanks!

0
frank.kabel (11126)
12/10/2004 3:58:21 PM
If the column already contains the text "Company Name" at the start of
each cell, you can use Edit>Replace to remove it (Replace "Company Name"
with nothing)

Then, select the column
Choose Format>Cells
On the Number tab, select the Custom Category
In the text box, type:  "Company Name: "@
Click OK

When you enter data in the column, it will be preceded by "Company Name:"

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/10/2004 4:28:48 PM
Thanks Debra!

That worked GREAT!

Is there any way where I can do the same thing with the Date Prepared and
put today's date behind it? I tried Custom Format "Date Prepared: " TODAY()
and that did not work.

Let me know.

Thanks!

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> If the column already contains the text "Company Name" at the start of
> each cell, you can use Edit>Replace to remove it (Replace "Company Name"
> with nothing)
>
> Then, select the column
> Choose Format>Cells
> On the Number tab, select the Custom Category
> In the text box, type:  "Company Name: "@
> Click OK
>
> When you enter data in the column, it will be preceded by "Company Name:"
>
> RTP wrote:
> > I have a large column and would like to split it for the literal that says
> > "Company Name" and then have the company name right next to it which is
> > enterable. I tried using Data/Text to Columns, Fixed Width, sliding the arrow
> > after Company Name: and it did not seem to split the column. I also tried
> > putting an arrow out a ways so that there looked as though there were two
> > defined fields and that didn't seem to work either.
> >
> > Am I approaching this the right way???
> >
> > HELP!!!
> >
> > Thanks!
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

RTP (23)
12/10/2004 6:31:05 PM
You're welcome!

To format a column for the date:

Select the column
Choose Format>Cells
On the Number tab, select the Date Category
Select the date format you want to use, e.g. 14-Mar-01
Select the Custom Format
In the text box, click at the beginning of the date format
Type:  "Date Prepared: "
The completed entry will look something like this:
     "Date prepared: "[$-409]d-mmm-yy;@
Click OK

To enter today's date, press the Ctrl key, and type a semi-colon ( ; )

RTP wrote:
> Thanks Debra!
>
> That worked GREAT!
>
> Is there any way where I can do the same thing with the Date Prepared and
> put today's date behind it? I tried Custom Format "Date Prepared: " TODAY()
> and that did not work.
>
> Let me know.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>

>>If the column already contains the text "Company Name" at the start of
>>each cell, you can use Edit>Replace to remove it (Replace "Company Name"
>>with nothing)
>>
>>Then, select the column
>>Choose Format>Cells
>>On the Number tab, select the Custom Category
>>In the text box, type:  "Company Name: "@
>>Click OK
>>
>>When you enter data in the column, it will be preceded by "Company Name:"
>>
>>RTP wrote:
>>
>>>I have a large column and would like to split it for the literal that says
>>>"Company Name" and then have the company name right next to it which is
>>>enterable. I tried using Data/Text to Columns, Fixed Width, sliding the arrow
>>>after Company Name: and it did not seem to split the column. I also tried
>>>putting an arrow out a ways so that there looked as though there were two
>>>defined fields and that didn't seem to work either.
>>>
>>>Am I approaching this the right way???
>>>
>>>HELP!!!
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

horizontal data to vertical data

export public folder data?

storing read only data

How to organize data?

How to add a space after each text value in all the cells in a row
I want to add a space (or any character(s)) after each text value in all the cells in a row or in a column For example, cell A2 contains "ABC", cell B2 contains "DEF", and so on. I want to make all the cells in row 2 to have a space so cell A2 contains "ABC ", cell B2 contains "DEF ",... try going to an empty part of the sheet (say row a4) & type =a2&" " or "[any character]" then copy that across the row for your range. after calc you can copy the range & paste special (values) back into range a2 ...X2 &am...

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

Saving sheet to text file
Hi, Can someone please help me with a date formatting problem. When I save a sheet to a TXT file manually (using the SaveAs option, etc.), I have no problems and the dates remain as they are shown on the sheet as d/m/yy (eg 15/9/05), but when I use the following macro, the dates on that sheet are saved to the text file as month/day/year (eg 9/15/05) Sub ExportToMYOB() ActiveWorkbook.Save Sheet2.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Premier9\Data files\ExportToMYOB.txt", _ FileFormat:=xlText, CreateBackup:=False ActiveWindow.Close End Sub Why is it so? Rob How did you ve...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

search text for substring and change text colour of substring
I need to search for a substring within a text string, and if it is present, change the colour of the text, for the substring only, to highlight it. For example, I have a sheet with 1 column and 200 rows containing text strings 100 characters long. I want to find all instances of the text string "CAT" in any cell and then change the colour of the letters CAT wherever found. Also I need to add an index in the second column, with a value of "1" if the substring was found in the same row or a "0" if not found. I know I can search for substrings and return starting po...

data file: how to start its application

merging data
I have a master file and 4 workbooks where individuals enter info daily. I need to update the master file workbook at the end of the day with the info from the 4 individual notebooks. How would I merge this data? I tried the "shared workbooks" process but it wouldn't let me do it. Please Help! Since your question is very "general", here's a "general" suggestion: Explore the use of links. Have all WBs open. Right click in a pertinent data cell of one of the 4 WBs, and choose "Copy". Navigate to the appropriate cell in the "Master&quo...

Underlining text that disapears when you use zoom
When I underline text in 75% and then use zoom to 100% the underlines disappear and I'm unable to put the lines back in while being in 100%.. Read the third FAQ here http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Beth" <Beth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:647B45F8-F8F7-4A1A-B256-5FD3796D65B8@microsoft.com... > When I underline text in 75% and then use zoom to 100% the underlines > disappear and I'm unable to put the lines back in whil...

If column contains a value
Hi, I am trying to apply some error trapping to my code now. I want to say that if a value (e.g. "Test") does not appear in Column A then carry on, otherwise if it does appear in Column A (on any row) then an error message pops up. Can this be done, and how? Thanks, Dim HowMany as long with worksheets("Somesheetnamehere") howmany = application.countif(.range("a:a"),"test") if howmany > 0 then 'it's there at least once else 'it's not there end if end with You may want: howmany = applic...

Vertical Data Extraction
Hi, I need to create a chart that is based on changing values. The Values are all stored vertically in a Worksheet called Percentage. The chart sheet contains a selection box where the user can select a specific search and a date and the selected conditions should be searched for and the chart should display results. Basically, when the user selects X in the first list box and Y in the second one, the code should search the Percentage worksheet for all instances of value=x and y and output. column Row Feature1 Feature2 Feature3 2000 0.5 8.3 10 2000 ...

Scraping a specific line # from an email text
Using both Outlook 2003 and 2007 (mixed environment). We have an email that comes in a standard format (some system-generated data). The data of real interest is on line 3. I can parse out the data on line 3, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to start with /just/ line 3. Example: Core Data "Status","Location","Raw Score","Max Score","Min Score","Time" "passed","81","65","79","0","00:17:00" If I can capture just the 3rd line in a string variabl...

Pie Chart from data
Hi, I am trying to create a pie chart from the below data just to show the percentages of what work orders are maj, med and min. How do I set this up!! Thanks in Advance!!! how can i create a pie char By following the directions within the Chart Wizard. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <9265C290-B0B6-4CAD-B909-5EDFCE7DC415@microsoft.com>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can i create a pie chart > > ...

Varying data ranges
Hi, I am preparing a large number of identical reports on Excel fro imported data of varying sizes (e.g. some imported data is 400 row long, some 600, but all have the same number of columns). I hav recorded macros to take the data from its raw form to its complete form in order to releive the repetitive nature of this process, howeve the macro does not take into account the varying sizes of the raw data even when I use the Ctrl+Shft+End command. I am left with a lot o manual 'tidying up' of the reports after the macros have run. I have around 1,800 reports to complete so if ther...

changing data
Please can someone tell me how to do an automatic change all the way down a column. For example, i have a list of applications throughout a spreasheet as follows Approach, Eurosys, Oscar, Pivot_Pro Pivot_Pro, Oscar, Approach, i need to change exery occurance of Pivot_Pro to Pivot (Dual) how will i do this please help? Hi Press <Ctrl><H> In the find box, type in the existing name, in the change to box, type the new name, click on Change All, and its done -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "danzelindistress" wrote: &...

Baffled by missing data on printout
I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main form. I then save all that data into a local table, then read it back from a report. The report loads the same subforms which reload the data. All that is working fine on screen, and on print preview. Then, when sent to a printer, all te text boxes are blank! What could *possibly* cause this? I switched printers, used a pdf output printer (save to disk in PDF), and with same results. Any ideas? Rick wrote: > I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main > form. I then save all t...

numbering a column
I am trying to get a column within a table to number down the column. All the numbers are coming up "1" instead of 1,2,3... I have selected the column, format, bullets and numbering and this is what I get. That's probably because you are using different cells for each number. Publisher is not Excel. It does not automatically go to the next number/letter/date/whatever. You'll have to change them manually or enter them manually from the start. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "cathy" <cathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F...