Custom User Forms

Hello All:

I know.... "the only 'stupid' question, is the one that's
not asked.....

Hopefully, I won't look like "too" much of a novice.  Here
goes,

I have a elderly user, who is not overly comfortable with
using Excel, and is used to the "dumb terminal" approach
of data entry.  Not that I don't want her to learn, she is
just extremely hesitant.

Anyway, I would like to create a custom form for her to
enter information into, which then populates a "hidden"
worksheet.  Would need to have a couple of Validation
fields, i.e. only specific entries accepted.

Any hints on best way to start?  All advice welcome.....

TIA,
Sandi
0
srush (8)

Sandi,

If your worksheet is set up as a regular database-style table (headings at
top, followed by one-row-per-record records, you may be able use Data -
Form.  If you want to make a custom form, one must be created in vba.

Using worksheet protection, you can keep a user from entering stuff into
cells they shouldn't, such as cells with formulas.  Data - Validation is
straightforward, and can put a prompt when the user has selected the cell,
as well as your "error" message when they violate the validation rules.

You may find that Access will let you make a more user-friendly application
for something like this.  It can be set up so that when the file is opened,
it goes straight to the entry form (or to a menu you've created).
Absolutely minimal user skill required, and the user never sees any Access
stuff, only your stuff.  Excel is a bit more heavy-duty.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

EarlK

"Sandi Rush" <srush@cusa.canon.com> wrote in message
> Hello All:
>
> I know.... "the only 'stupid' question, is the one that's
> not asked.....
>
> Hopefully, I won't look like "too" much of a novice.  Here
> goes,
>
> I have a elderly user, who is not overly comfortable with
> using Excel, and is used to the "dumb terminal" approach
> of data entry.  Not that I don't want her to learn, she is
> just extremely hesitant.
>
> Anyway, I would like to create a custom form for her to
> enter information into, which then populates a "hidden"
> worksheet.  Would need to have a couple of Validation
> fields, i.e. only specific entries accepted.
>
> Any hints on best way to start?  All advice welcome.....
>
> TIA,
> Sandi

0
EarlK
8/15/2003 4:59:48 PM
Earl:

1st:  Thanks for the prompt reply!

I was aware of the Data-Form option, but can you use it
for a "hidden" worksheet.  I'd really prefer that she just
see the entry form.

I'm not sure I know enough about VBA to create form, but
will make an attempt.

As well, I have a "seat" license of Access 2000.  Is there
maybe a "runtime" version of Access 2000?

TIA,
Sandi

---

>"Sandi Rush" <srush@cusa.canon.com> wrote in message
>> Hello All:
>>
>> I know.... "the only 'stupid' question, is the one
that's
>> not asked.....
>>
>> Hopefully, I won't look like "too" much of a novice.
Here
>> goes,
>>
>> I have a elderly user, who is not overly comfortable
with
>> using Excel, and is used to the "dumb terminal" approach
>> of data entry.  Not that I don't want her to learn, she
is
>> just extremely hesitant.
>>
>> Anyway, I would like to create a custom form for her to
>> enter information into, which then populates a "hidden"
>> worksheet.  Would need to have a couple of Validation
>> fields, i.e. only specific entries accepted.
>>
>> Any hints on best way to start?  All advice welcome.....
>>
>> TIA,
>> Sandi
>

>.

0
srush (8)
8/15/2003 5:28:08 PM
Earl:

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!  I used the sample
provided in article 161514, and it works great.

I imagine I'll have a lot of late nights coming up while
I "perfect" the worksheet!

Thanks again,

Sandi
the MS
>Knowledgebase has a lot of articles.  you can look at
these and also do your
>own searches.  When you "dig in" and have specific
questions this group or
>"programming" is the place to ask.

us;168067

us;161514

us;213760

us;159705

>--
>Jim Rech
>Excel MVP
>

>.

0
srush (8)
8/15/2003 7:35:40 PM
Even though you're well on your way, you might want to take a look at how John
Walkenbach implemented his enhanced data form:

http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

You can purchase the password for the code for $20 (USA).

It might be money well spent.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Custom Entity Relationship CRM 3.0

I can't create mailboxes for new users
When I create a New user , i check the box to create a new mail box, and after finish the whole process the system don't create thje mail box. Can anybody help me in this way try sending an email to the new user, then see if the mailbox was created. "jmalonsor@mixmail.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00ff01c3be84$3d784ac0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When I create a New user , i check the box to create a new > mail box, and after finish the whole process the system > don't create thje mail box. > > Can anybody help me in thi...

disabled user still sending auto-reply
It is noticed a disabled (but not yet deleted)user is still sending auto-reply once a mail addressed to this user. Is it an expected behavior, or something not right? (I am expecting mail sending to disabled user will get a non-delivery report.) server: E2K3 On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:39:07 +1100, "tree leafs" <treeleafs@hotmail.com> wrote: >It is noticed a disabled (but not yet deleted)user is still sending >auto-reply once a mail addressed to this user. Is it an expected behavior, >or something not right? It's expected as long as there's...

Word Form Send To function dropping activeX controls
Hey all...new to the forum but i have a question i hope can be answere here. I work in a large Telecom/IP/Voice network managment center and we hav recently implemented a "network report" that needs to be completed b each shift telling the next shift what the overall health of th network, and alerting the next crew to any potential issues. Problem is this. I have 3 checkboxes at the top of the form t indicate what shift the form is for. We edit the form in Word and the file>send to mail recipient, and the text shows up but the check boxe are gone. If i send as attachment the...

Custom toolbar and macros

Adding users to address books
I was hoping to have a user be a member of two separate address books. Does anyone know if this is possible. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you. One user can be the member of multiple address lists as long as the user meets the criteria specified in the filter of each address list. "Rio" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20da101c45a0f$09a4c8a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I was hoping to have a user be a member of two separate > address books. Does anyone know if this is possible. > Any help greatly appreciated. > Thank you. ...

toolbar customization

combo box on unbound form
Hi, I have an unbound form, frmClients, interacting with class Clients. On the form I have a combo box, cboNationality, based on tblNationalities but I can't make it work. Do I need to also create a class for nationalities and then create a parent child relationship with class Client? I am new to classes, this is my first attempt, and so far I have really followed a recipe from a book. Unfortunately the book doesn't explain what happens in this case. Thanks in advance, George Sounds like you need a TABLE of clients (and a bound form) why are you using a class? "George&quo...

Send email to all Site Users
My organization has SharePoint Portal 2003 site. We are going to be making some changes to the site and would like to notify all the users of the site by email ahead of time. When I go to the Manage Users page the only action that appears to be available is Remove Selected Users. We add users by looking them up in our Exchange GAL. Is there anyway to send an email to all the Users of a given site? -Chris ...

Customize Does not WOrk

How to display HTML in Custom Task Pane

XY Scatter with Custom Labels

DoCmd.TransferDatabase import "FORMS"
I am trying to import new forms into a database using the following vb code. Of course it doesn't work. Any help here would really be appreicated; DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "Microsoft Access", "C:\Folder\DBname.mdb", acForm, "FrmName, frmName" Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200710/1 "FrmName, frmName" should be FrmName, frmName Pieter "CWH via AccessMonster.com" <u31211@uwe> wrote in message news:7a119afee29c8@uwe... >I am trying to import ne...

Customer Report

Close two forms at once?
I have two forms that open up in succession and stay visible together as part of my invoice creation process. When we have finished editing the second form, I want to have a single Close button that will close both forms with one click. Assuming that we're talking about Form1 and Form2, how would I code this, please? Many thanks CW Private Sub CloseTwoForms_Click() DoCmd.Close acForm, "Form1" DoCmd.Close acForm, "Form2" End Sub -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003 Message posted via AccessMonster....

Custom X-axis

GPS Customization Query

change local customer to global customer
I am trying to change the local customers that i have in my store database to global customers in hq I ran this querie in store administrator UPDATE Customer SET GlobalCustomer = 1 Then ran worksheet 401 in hq, but the customers did not update, then worksheet 350. Can someone help? Had the same issue ... this worked for me - need to set globalcustomer = 1; need to set lastupdated = getdate(*); need to set storeid = 'xxxx' (whatever is appropriate for you). Go into SO Manager and configure ENABLE GLOBAL CUSTOMERS and NEW CUSTOMERS DEFAULT AS GLOBAL. Need to run 401 TWICE (once...

How to customize column width in Ressource Usage report ?
Hi, When printing the Workload, Ressource Usage report, some of the durations are stated as #####.##. I tried to make the font smaller but it did'ent help. How do I make the report readable? I am using MS Project 2007 SP2. Br Bertrand If you goto Reports, Custom you can see all of the built-in reports and you can see what they are made of and you will see that they use a filter and a table (and other settings and stuff). The column width of each field is a property of the table. Find the report that you are interested in, then find the table that it uses, then e...

Custom ActiveX control fails on release build
Some time ago I created simple custom control (.ocx) using Visual Basic 6. Recently I decided to also use my control in VC++ apps. VB: Using the ActiveX Control Interface Wizard and the Property Page Wizard I added the appropriate handlers and a simple property page to change the appearance, border, colors, and fonts. Nothing special there. VC: The control was installed and registered on the test machine through the installer and is located in the system folder. On the development machine the application runs fine and the new control works great. On the test machine the dialog box fail...

User Defined Function returning #Value!
I have a function that I created. When I test it in the Intermediate Window, ? Kountifs("Registered Nurse"), it returns a 12 which is correct. I want to be able to use this function a my datasheet. I have included basically the same function =Kountifs("Registered Nurse"). But, ont the datasheet I receive a #Value! rather than the 12. Does anyone have ideas why? Why dont you post the UDF.. If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "DogLover" wrote: > I have a function that I created. When I test it in the Intermed...