Custom Formats #3

I have created a custom format for a cell that will be used in a general
company form.  The custom format is for a credit card number and was written
as follows:  ####  ####  ####  ####.  When ever I type in a number 9999  9999
 9999  9999 the final digit is convert to a zero.  I do not understand why it
is doing this.  It is not being rounded.  Can anyone help correct this very
irritating formatting issue?

Thanks
--
bb
0

Excel has only 15 digits precision and you can't use a custom text format
that way,
You need to either preformat as text or precede the entry with an apostrophe

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"becky" wrote:

> I have created a custom format for a cell that will be used in a general
> company form.  The custom format is for a credit card number and was written
> as follows:  ####  ####  ####  ####.  When ever I type in a number 9999  9999
>  9999  9999 the final digit is convert to a zero.  I do not understand why it
> is doing this.  It is not being rounded.  Can anyone help correct this very
> irritating formatting issue?
>
> Thanks
> --
> bb
0
PeoSjoblom (790)
12/23/2004 8:01:04 PM
Hi
Excel only supports 15 significant digits. So you can't have a number format
with 6 digits. You can enter a credit card number only if:
- you preformat the cell as text
- or enter the data with a preceding apostrophe '

in both cases you can't use a custom format though

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

becky wrote:
> I have created a custom format for a cell that will be used in a
> general company form.  The custom format is for a credit card number
> and was written as follows:  ####  ####  ####  ####.  When ever I
> type in a number 9999  9999 9999  9999 the final digit is convert to
> a zero.  I do not understand why it is doing this.  It is not being
> rounded.  Can anyone help correct this very irritating formatting
> issue?
>
> Thanks

0
frank.kabel (11126)
12/23/2004 8:02:11 PM
Nope.

excel stores 15 significant digits.

You can preformat the cell as text or start with a leading apostrophe to get all
the numbers to show.

But then you'll have to format it manually.

Actually, you could have a worksheet event looking to see if that cell needs to
be reformatted.

If you want to try this idea, rightclick on the worksheet tab that should have
this behavior.  Select view code.  Paste this into the code window:

Option Explicit

    Dim myTempVal As Variant

    On Error GoTo errhandler:

    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("a:a")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    If IsNumeric(Target.Value) = False Then Exit Sub

    myTempVal = CDec(Target.Value)
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Target.Value = Format(myTempVal, "0000 0000 0000 0000")

errhandler:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

I used all of column A in this line:
If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("a:a")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
but you could use:
If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("c7:g99")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

bb

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> Excel has only 15 digits precision and you can't use a custom text format
> that way,
> You need to either preformat as text or precede the entry with an apostrophe
>

> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "becky" wrote:
>
> > I have created a custom format for a cell that will be used in a general
> > company form.  The custom format is for a credit card number and was written
> > as follows:  ####  ####  ####  ####.  When ever I type in a number 9999  9999
> >  9999  9999 the final digit is convert to a zero.  I do not understand why it
> > is doing this.  It is not being rounded.  Can anyone help correct this very
> > irritating formatting issue?
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > bb
0
Becky (52)
12/23/2004 8:07:02 PM
You can't custom format text, since you must use text you either have to use
a help formula or a a macro that will put in those spaces

formula example would be

=MID(A1,1,4)&" "&MID(A1,5,4)&" "&MID(A1,9,4)&" "&MID(A1,13,4)

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"becky" wrote:

> I am sorry.  I still do not understand.  I opened the document and keyed in
> an apostrophe and the a  16 digit number.  But my numbers all run together.
> (there are no spaces in between) How would I preformat text?
>
> bb
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>
> > Excel has only 15 digits precision and you can't use a custom text format
> > that way,
> > You need to either preformat as text or precede the entry with an apostrophe
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Peo Sjoblom
> >
> > "becky" wrote:
> >
> > > I have created a custom format for a cell that will be used in a general
> > > company form.  The custom format is for a credit card number and was written
> > > as follows:  ####  ####  ####  ####.  When ever I type in a number 9999  9999
> > >  9999  9999 the final digit is convert to a zero.  I do not understand why it
> > > is doing this.  It is not being rounded.  Can anyone help correct this very
> > > irritating formatting issue?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > --
> > > bb
0
PeoSjoblom (790)
12/23/2004 8:23:08 PM
Hi,
why don't you use four separate cells for each of the four
digit numbers.

 - Mark

Custom Entity Relationship CRM 3.0

Custom toolbar and macros

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook #3
I get the message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook". I've reinstalled Office 2000 and still get the same message. Any ideas? 1) try running scanpst.exe on your Personal Folder 2) try renaming outcmd.dat to .old and restart Outlook. All the Toolbars will reset then. This is quite a common problem with Outlook . The default location for this file is: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook 3) try recreating the profile in Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles 4) try running Outlook with the /safe switch from your St...

toolbar customization

Cannot locate recurrence information. #3
I have a workstation that, after launching Outlook 2003 and updating the mail folders, displays the following message: "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. Cannot locate recurrence information for this appointment." I have tried running Outlook from the command line using the /cleanreminders switch. This does change the response for that one instance of running the program in that the error appears and so does a list of reminders. I have tried deleting those reminders or moving them into the future but, even with no r...

adding email accounts #3
How do I add other e-mail accounts to Office word 2007? To add email accounts to Outlook 2007, go into Tools, Account Settings and click New Patrick Schmid -------------- http://pschmid.net "Red4Con1" <Red4Con1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE62EEFE-3DC4-4E11-8935-AC724AB2DFD3@microsoft.com: > How do I add other e-mail accounts to Office word 2007? You don't add email accounts to Office Word 2007. It is a word processor, not an email program. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All...

Customize Does not WOrk

Exchange reporting #3
Hello, I have an exchange server 03, sp2. Does anyone know of a freebie program I can use to pull exchange stats. I am looking mostly for number of users, mailbox size and number of messages contained within. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have tried a few pruchase programs in demo mode, namely messagestats and promodag. Haven't had much luck running them actually they are limited in demo mode. Perfmon is free. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Dustin Fulmer" <DustinFulmer@discussions.microso...

How to display HTML in Custom Task Pane

Word text copied into email loses formatting alignment
When copying a Word document (containing indented and numbered paragraphs and bullet points into an email, the left alignment of the document loses its justification. How can this be fixed? -- HK If the formatting is important, send the document as an attachment. You have no control over how the recipient sees the email. If you are concerned that the recipient might not have Word, use one of the free pdf converters to convert the document into a .pdf file. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my s...

XY Scatter with Custom Labels

Using either 'Conditional Formatting or VB' to color specific Cells
All, I'm new to using macro's within Excel, please forgive my ignorance in advance! heh Does anyone know the best way to color cells within a worksheet based on data in other rows within the same worksheet? I've used Conditional Formatting but it only lets me use (3) colors. I need to use about 10 or so. Basically I have data in columns A - P, in columns AI:AJ I have data that I want to show as a specific color in rows A - P if it exists. Can someone give me an example that I can use and modify to do this task? Thanks -J I assume that you want an easy way to visually identify ce...

Conditional Format: Dates
Date is displayed in cell like this: Thursday, January 01, 2004 Currently, cells have no cell color format. How can I set formatting so cells containing 'Sunday' are a different color? Is there a formula I can use or some function that will do this for me? If the dates are text use =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Sunday",A1)) in the formula is box, if they are real dates use =WEEKDAY(A1,2)=7 format>conditional formatting and formula is -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "JEM" <abc@def.com> wrote in message news:emRrHL1IEHA.2688@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... &g...

How do I count different names in a colum ie: 4 mikes 3 toms
I am trying to add name in a colum. ie., 4 Mikes, 3 Toms, 8 Diane. Is there a way to do this? Thanks One way Assume data is in A1 down, e.g.: Mike T Diane P Tom P Mike P Tom J Mike L Diane M etc List the names in say, C1:C3 : Mike, Diane, Tom Put in D1: =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(C1,A1:A100)))) Copy down Col D will return the required counts -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "dallyup2" <dallyup2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5598620F-D261-4872-BCB9-3ACA7DC01FE9@microsoft.com... > I am t...

Preserve Pivot Format
I'm currently testing out Office 2007 for my company (we currently use 2003) and I've run into a couple of questions regarding pivot table formatting. 1. In 2003, when I told a pivot table to "preserve format," it actually worked. For example, I have a page field in which the text gets very long. I'd like to have it "taller" and with wrapped text. In 2003, I changed that field to "all", set my formatting, and refreshed the pivot - worked great, the cell stayed as formatted. In 2007, I have "Preserve cell formatting on update" checked. I rep...

Customer Report

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Implementation For Large Corporation (August 2006) #2
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Implementation For Large Corporation (August 2006) (Sales Module,MS CRM Security,Integration with Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0/Microsoft Great Plains,with IBM Lotus Notes Domino,International Considerations,Competition) http://microsoft-crm-3.blogspot.com/2006/08/microsoft-dynamics-crm-30.html ...

Custom X-axis

GPS Customization Query

change local customer to global customer
I am trying to change the local customers that i have in my store database to global customers in hq I ran this querie in store administrator UPDATE Customer SET GlobalCustomer = 1 Then ran worksheet 401 in hq, but the customers did not update, then worksheet 350. Can someone help? Had the same issue ... this worked for me - need to set globalcustomer = 1; need to set lastupdated = getdate(*); need to set storeid = 'xxxx' (whatever is appropriate for you). Go into SO Manager and configure ENABLE GLOBAL CUSTOMERS and NEW CUSTOMERS DEFAULT AS GLOBAL. Need to run 401 TWICE (once...

How to customize column width in Ressource Usage report ?
Hi, When printing the Workload, Ressource Usage report, some of the durations are stated as #####.##. I tried to make the font smaller but it did'ent help. How do I make the report readable? I am using MS Project 2007 SP2. Br Bertrand If you goto Reports, Custom you can see all of the built-in reports and you can see what they are made of and you will see that they use a filter and a table (and other settings and stuff). The column width of each field is a property of the table. Find the report that you are interested in, then find the table that it uses, then e...