CSV elements don't get split up in cells

Hi,

I recently installed a German version of excel and now when I open m
CSV files they don't get seperated anymore by the commas. The whol
line is just written in one cell.
When I had the US version installed the data was split up after eac
comma and distributed into the corresponding cell.

How can I achieve the same thing in the German version

tom

You could try renaming the file to .txt rather than .csv When you try to
open this in Excel it will start the Text Import Wizard which will give you
much more control over the import of the data.

Andy.

"tomf" <tomf.y9icn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed a German version of excel and now when I open my
> CSV files they don't get seperated anymore by the commas. The whole
> line is just written in one cell.
> When I had the US version installed the data was split up after each
> comma and distributed into the corresponding cell.
>
> How can I achieve the same thing in the German version?
>

> ---

andy1646 (82)
12/11/2003 8:47:02 AM
Comma Separated Values are not always separated by commas.
The separator character used for reading and writing these files is the one
defined as the 'List separator' in the computer's Regional Settings control
panel.

"tomf" <tomf.y9icn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed a German version of excel and now when I open my
> CSV files they don't get seperated anymore by the commas. The whole
> line is just written in one cell.
> When I had the US version installed the data was split up after each
> comma and distributed into the corresponding cell.
>
> How can I achieve the same thing in the German version?
>

> ---

Stephen

Headers based on Cell Values
I would like to have my header variable based upon the value of certai cells. If there is a way to do this without VBA, that would be the best way However, if it is only in VBA, then that is what I will have to do -- kralj ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kraljb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=995 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27791 Hi not possible without VBA. You have to use the BeforePrint event of your workbook. So try putting the following type of code in your wo...

Trying to get just part of an XML file?
This is posted to both the Word and Excel VBA NG because so far that's the only way I can figure out to do this. But wait - I throw in FSO to make it even messier! Using Word and Excel 2007. We have a proprietary program that saves its working files as XML. When a user needs to add a list of data, he's presented with either a grid format that's a pain to work with, or a single-form-per-item page that's easier to use but wearying after 35+ items. What I want to do is get the part of the XML to be revised into an Excel worksheet so the user can work easier. Because ...

How can I retrieve the format of a cell?
Dear all, A cell A1 is conditionally formatted so that it is either red (FF0000), green (00FF00) or blue (0000FF). May I know if I can write a function for another cell B1 such that it shows a word "RED" if A1 is red, a word "BLUE" if A1 is blue and a word "GREEN" if A1 is green? Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Chris You can use programming to determine the colour. Chip Pearson has instructions on his web site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm Chris wrote: > Dear all, > > A cell A1 is conditionally formatted so that it ...

How do you get the sum of 2 different text values?
For instance, I need to add the amount of times "S" and "HS" appear in a row. I figured out that the COUNTIF function will add the amount of times "S" appears in a row, but I can't figure out how to make it add both and give me a number value as the answer. Is this even possible? Try this: =COUNTIF(A:A,"S")+COUNTIF(A:A,"HS") Regards, Paul "sunshine.girl" <sunshine.girl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C63C684-D389-4BA0-A73F-8AC553B7F7D3@microsoft.com... > For instance, I need to add the amount o...

Merge Cell Problem
I have created a new worksheet which is very basic with no formulas. I want to merge some cells however the Merge' button on the tool bar is grey'd out. It does not function. I have never come across this before and do not know how to fix. Does anyone have any suggestions please. Any reply appreciated. Les Jetrascal Sounds like your worksheet is protected. Check tools>Protection, if there is an option to "Unprotect" you have a protected worksheet. You need to have an unprotected sheet to make this kind of change. Another option rather than merging ...

copy and pasting in 5000 records referencing cells
I have a file that is 5000 records long. example Column A Column B namea nameb namec Transit number associated with (a,b,c) What I want is to have transit number appear in Column a beside each of the individuals. The issue is the transit number is different for all 5000 records some may have 5 per transit number and others just 3 and some have 7 depending on size of the branch. Is there a formula to populate this without copy and pasting in each cell? thanks Yes "Fawn Lagi...

Delete an image from the cell
Delete an image from the cell Hi I am transforming html report content (which is generated using XML and XSLT) into Excel wroksheet. I opened the excel file and delete the image from the cell but the excel does not allow to delete an image. I could not able to find the properties of the cell. How could i delete the image from the cell? Thanks Yuva. Cells can contain constants, formulae, or errors. They cannot contain images/shapes. Images exist in the drawing layer above the sheet, and can be accessed via the shapes or pictures collection. In article <B6561E41-1068-477B-99E3-A...

hello everybody.. question about .csv file...
i have a excel .CSV file that Gmail generated for me with my contacts in.. what i want to do is function that go over all the contacts emails one by one and deletes all missformated addresses that cannot be use to send email for them.. somthing like : if (the cell's text is not an valid email address) { delete the cell ; } to be honest i dont know much about excel so i need somthing from scratch.. thank you all very much.. A quick and dirty check would be to look for the @ character in the cell. You could insert a new column adjacent to the column with the data...

How to get underlying Xslt content from XslTransform object
How do you get the underlying Xslt stylesheet content from an XslTransform object that has been created and loaded with a stylesheet file or some text? Assume a method will create an XslTransform object, load it with a stylesheet file or some text, and return this object. public XslTransform Create() { XslTransform xslt = new XslTransform(); xslt.Load("style.xsl"); //or load with some built-in stylesheet text return xslt; } In the calling method, how do you see the content of the underlying transform (the content of the file style.xsl or whatever text that was loaded to the object...

Custom Cell Formatting #2
Okay, I know you can enter in @*- in the custom formatting for continued dashes across the cell, Invoice--------- but what if I want dashes on both side of the text? For example, ----------Invoice---------- Can this be done in the custom format or do I have to manually enter in all the dashes? Any help is much appreciated. Corey Corey I don't know of a format that will do this. If you have a great whack of these to do you could enter a few dashes in a cell by itself, say A1 has ------- Assuming Column B contains Invoice or any other non-custom formatted text. In C1 enter =$...

Transfer cell data from one worksheet to another === URGENT
bello ALL, I do I transfer a cell data from one worksheet in Workbook A to another cell in another worksheet in Workbook B. Thanks, Raj Please stay in your thread You have an answer there already -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "rajesh" <rajesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DFD6622-7C55-4E29-9D2A-7E3F7B4BD2DC@microsoft.com... > bello ALL, > > I do I transfer a cell data from one worksheet in Workbook A to > another cell in another worksheet in Workbook B. > > Thanks, Raj ...

getting XL to recognize lower from upper case in IF formula
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP Pro SP2 *Follow-up to: microsoft.public.excel* Hi, I have an IF formula where =IF(LEFT(D3,3)="ABc",(B3*C3)/50,B3*C3) When LEFT(D3,3)="ABC", unfortunately, it seems XL does not see the difference between the lower case "c" in former example and upper case "C" in latter example. Is it me? Can I get around this? Use the EXACT() function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "stef" <notvalid@nomail.nul> wrote in message news:%23TzKv$EOIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... | Excel 2002 SP3 | Win XP Pro SP2...

losing date format when referencing date cell on another sheet and
I need to reference a date cell in another sheet in my workbook. I select the cell that needs to display the referenced content. Then in the formula bar I type = . Then I move to the sheet containing the cell I want to reference. I select this cell and then click the green checkmark next to the formula bar. The desired date value now shows up in my display cell in the correct format. But I need to add text to this cell. Now my display date loses its format and becomes a plane number. Here is my reference =Sheet1!B15 Here is what I want to do = "(" & She...

Search within a single cell for a character
Using VBA I want an If/Then statement to search within a single cell (D59) to find if the ":" (colon character) exists after the fourth character. If not "Then: Wrong = True" In an adjacent worksheet cell I could just enter =iserr(find(":",D59,4)) and if the result is True then I know it doesn't exist. How do I write this in VBA? If Instr(5, Range("D59"), ":") > 0 then Wrong = True "AZSteve" wrote: > Using VBA I want an If/Then statement to search within a single cell (D59) to > find if the ":&...

Will illegal immigrants get deported?.........Of course not.....................

Meetings in Outlook are tracked in CRM and then get deleted
Hello, I have a user who is stating that he is receiving a meeting request, then accepting, then clicking track in CRM. It seems like the next time CRM syncs the meeting is deleted from his calendar. The meeting request is then in his deleted items. This has happened for meetings he has been invitied to and meetings for which he is the organizer. This will cancel the meeting and remove it from his calendar and those of attendees. So when he drags it out of deleted items it resends the requests. I thought because of another thread it was due to him not actually being an attendee, but thi...

VBA to Open MS Excel and get Tab names
Hoping someone can help... I am trying to create some code in MS Access that will 1. Open up a specific MS Access workbook (portfolio.xlsx) 2. Loop through each Tab (currently there are 30 Tabs each with different names) 3. Set the name of the Tab to a variable in which I can access later Does anyone know how to do this? The endgame is to eventually copy the names of the tabs into a MS Access Table along with some of the data on each tab. Thanks for any help... The following procedure will open the specified Excel Workbook and return the names of all the worksheets. Yo...

Losing leading 0 when saving as .csv
Hello, I've got Excel 2002. I've got an address file that I need to save as a .csv file. In the file are ZIP codes that begin with 0. These leading 0's are being dropped when I save as a .csv file. Here's what I've tried so far to keep the leading 0's in .csv: 1) In the .xls file, selected the ZIP column (column G) and formated the cells as Text. Then saved as .xls and then saved as .csv. When I then open the .csv file, the leading 0's are missing. If I open the .xls file, the leading 0's are intact. 2) After opening the .csv file created in step 1, I a...

Getting "Export to Excel" to display in a context menu.
We have a software package that uses a web control that customer orders are inserted into in the form of a table. Some of our office PC's display an Export to Excel menu item in the context menu of the web control, while others do not. We use versions of Office from 97 to 2003 and this is consistant across the different versions. We are trying to place instructions in our software's help file on how to get the Export to Excel context menu item to display so our customers can set it up themselves. I have spent close to two days going over the Excel help file and the Office web site and...

I don't want mail recipients to get my categories and flags
This goes back to Outlook2000 and I still see it in Outlook 2003 Production. When I receive a mail item, let's say my rules assign a category to it. Then I reply to it. If the recipient has Outlook, they see the categories that I've assigned to that mail. If I set a flag to remind myself to follow-up on that mail, the recipient also gets my reminder and a flag. I understand these can be considered features and there is a post here just today from someone saying they use flags extensively, but I don't want people to see the categories I assign to mail, especially if my rules mi...

Highlight rows with certain condition in some cells
I want to highlight every row that has a certain word in one column and a different word in another column of the same row. How do I do this? SteveK Here's a great site to learn about conditional formatting :) http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm -- davesexcel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31708 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=520844 "SteveK" wrote: > I want to highlight every row that h...

Getting same message over and over and over and over each day
I'm going nuts. I belong to a website for getting financial information. I formerly used Outlook Express but switched to Microsoft Outlook because of the additional features. Now, I continue to receive two different e-mails from the website over and over and over again every day. Approximately every 10 seconds and they go back two weeks. So far today I've received hundreds. I have no idea how to stop this. Any ideas or solutions??? "goinbatty" <goinbatty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:422BFA40-1D55-4558-9AE9-EE4182B09066@microsoft.com......

Setting a cell to not go below an X value, or above a Y value
Hey, This may be very easy to do, but I just don't have a clue, I've look a most excel variables and they just seem to choose MIN and MAX fro columns or tables. What I want to do is I've got the sum adding up say cells A2 and A3 i cell A4. I want cell A4 to never go below 80, or above 200. (Formula in cell A would be =SUM(A2:A3)) Anyone think they can help -- Snake ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Snakey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2785 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthre...

How to make the cursor stay in the cell when entering data.
I do not want the cursor to go to the cell immediately below the cell I have entered data in. I want the cursor to stay in the cell. Tools > Options > Edit > Uncheck Move selection after entry > OK HTH Regards, Howard "Comet" <Comet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6EF27C0-4F12-4E72-9FAE-93B79515AB1F@microsoft.com... >I do not want the cursor to go to the cell immediately below the cell I >have > entered data in. I want the cursor to stay in the cell. Tools - Options - Edit tab - uncheck the box "Move selecti...

Excel 2002 : How to eliminate _ before a cell address in a formula
Hi, I am working on a report generated by a business system In Excel Format. The table in the Excel file is a Sub Total Table that is expandable. I need to manipulate on the data of the expanded table, however noted that the formula below could not work as I copy downwards. The second and third argument of the formula is fixed by "_" before the cell address E17 and D17. =IF(LEFT(P10,1)="5",_E17,-_D27) Also I find that when I move the cursor to the cell for the 2nd and 3rd argument, the resulting cell address that appears in the formula is not the...