Creating a Search Form

I have a simple address book spreadsheet.  I would like to create a Search
form, where the user can enter the Last Name of the person they are searching
for.

0
Karen1 (189)

Hi Karen

two inbuilt options that you might like to have a look at as long as your
data is in "database / list" format
ie something like
..........A..............B.....................C......................D
1.....First Name...Last Name.....Address.........Town.
2.....Joe..............Bloggs............15 North Rd.....Little Parks

click in cell A2 choose data / filter / autofilter - you'll see a drop down
arrow for each column, click on the one for last name and choose the person
you're interested in

or two
click in cell A2 and choose Data / form  - click on the Criteria button,
type the last name in the last name field and click Find Next

if neither of these two are acceptable, could you explain a bit more on what
you mean by "form" - do you want one like the data / form one, or do you
just want a cell where they can type the name in or a combo box where they
can select it from

Cheers
JulieD

"Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a simple address book spreadsheet.  I would like to create a Search
> form, where the user can enter the Last Name of the person they are
> searching
> for.

0
JulieD1 (2295)
3/24/2005 5:16:07 PM
A couple of options...
1.  Have the user select the column and hit ctrl-f (short cut for Edit|find).
2.  Apply Data|filter|autofilter
    (and show them how to use the dropdown arrow)
3.  Download Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind.
    You can find it here:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/
    (it has some nice options already built in)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Search for:

Where it:   [Drop down: Begins In OR Contained In]
the  Employee's [Drop Down:  First Name OR Last Name]

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi Karen
>
> two inbuilt options that you might like to have a look at as long as your
> data is in "database / list" format
> ie something like
> ..........A..............B.....................C......................D
> 1.....First Name...Last Name.....Address.........Town.
> 2.....Joe..............Bloggs............15 North Rd.....Little Parks
>
> click in cell A2 choose data / filter / autofilter - you'll see a drop down
> arrow for each column, click on the one for last name and choose the person
> you're interested in
>
> or two
> click in cell A2 and choose Data / form  - click on the Criteria button,
> type the last name in the last name field and click Find Next
>
> if neither of these two are acceptable, could you explain a bit more on what
> you mean by "form" - do you want one like the data / form one, or do you
> just want a cell where they can type the name in or a combo box where they
> can select it from
>
> Cheers
> JulieD
>
> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a simple address book spreadsheet.  I would like to create a Search
> > form, where the user can enter the Last Name of the person they are
> > searching
> > for.

0
Karen1 (189)
3/24/2005 7:09:01 PM
Hi Karen

then you'll need to create a userform in the VBE window and code it.  Have
you done any work with VBA before?

>I want a stand alone form.  The user won't see the spreadsheet where the
> information is kept.  Something like the example below:
>
> Search for:
>
> Where it:   [Drop down: Begins In OR Contained In]
> the  Employee's [Drop Down:  First Name OR Last Name]
>

> "JulieD" wrote:
>
>> Hi Karen
>>
>> two inbuilt options that you might like to have a look at as long as your
>> data is in "database / list" format
>> ie something like
>> ..........A..............B.....................C......................D
>> 1.....First Name...Last Name.....Address.........Town.
>> 2.....Joe..............Bloggs............15 North Rd.....Little Parks
>>
>> click in cell A2 choose data / filter / autofilter - you'll see a drop
>> down
>> arrow for each column, click on the one for last name and choose the
>> person
>> you're interested in
>>
>> or two
>> click in cell A2 and choose Data / form  - click on the Criteria button,
>> type the last name in the last name field and click Find Next
>>
>> if neither of these two are acceptable, could you explain a bit more on
>> what
>> you mean by "form" - do you want one like the data / form one, or do you
>> just want a cell where they can type the name in or a combo box where
>> they
>> can select it from
>>
>> Cheers
>> JulieD
>>
>> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a simple address book spreadsheet.  I would like to create a
>> > form, where the user can enter the Last Name of the person they are
>> > searching
>> > for.

0
JulieD1 (2295)
3/25/2005 5:01:20 AM
Not really. I have worked a little bit with it, but not much.

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi Karen
>
> then you'll need to create a userform in the VBE window and code it.  Have
> you done any work with VBA before?
>
> Cheers
> JulieD
>

> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want a stand alone form.  The user won't see the spreadsheet where the
> > information is kept.  Something like the example below:
> >
> > Search for:
> >
> > Where it:   [Drop down: Begins In OR Contained In]
> > the  Employee's [Drop Down:  First Name OR Last Name]
> >

> > "JulieD" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Karen
> >>
> >> two inbuilt options that you might like to have a look at as long as your
> >> data is in "database / list" format
> >> ie something like
> >> ..........A..............B.....................C......................D
> >> 1.....First Name...Last Name.....Address.........Town.
> >> 2.....Joe..............Bloggs............15 North Rd.....Little Parks
> >>
> >> click in cell A2 choose data / filter / autofilter - you'll see a drop
> >> down
> >> arrow for each column, click on the one for last name and choose the
> >> person
> >> you're interested in
> >>
> >> or two
> >> click in cell A2 and choose Data / form  - click on the Criteria button,
> >> type the last name in the last name field and click Find Next
> >>
> >> if neither of these two are acceptable, could you explain a bit more on
> >> what
> >> you mean by "form" - do you want one like the data / form one, or do you
> >> just want a cell where they can type the name in or a combo box where
> >> they
> >> can select it from
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> JulieD
> >>
> >> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Karen1 (189)
3/25/2005 5:01:01 PM
I really don't want the user to see the spreadsheet, just the information
they are searching for.  I was hoping for a form for them to enter the search
criteria.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> A couple of options...
> 1.  Have the user select the column and hit ctrl-f (short cut for Edit|find).
> 2.  Apply Data|filter|autofilter
>     (and show them how to use the dropdown arrow)
> 3.  Download Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind.
>     You can find it here:
>     http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/
>     (it has some nice options already built in)
>

> Karen wrote:
> >
> > I have a simple address book spreadsheet.  I would like to create a Search
> > form, where the user can enter the Last Name of the person they are searching
> > for.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Karen1 (189)
3/25/2005 5:01:03 PM
I put my "address book" in sheet1.

I added a sheet2 and put some instructions on that worksheet--along with a
button from the Forms toolbar that had a macro assigned to it that would show
the userform.

This was the macro (located in a general module):

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
    UserForm1.Show
End Sub

I had headers in Row 1.  Last Name in column A and other stuff in B:F (6 columns
total).

Then I created a userform.

I had one textbox, one checkbox, one listbox and two buttons.

The textbox was used to get the name to search for.
The checkbox was used to indicate contains or exact (checked means contains)
The listbox returned all the names that matched--and its associated columns
(B:F).
The commandbuttons did the work or closed the userform.

This was the code behind the userform:

Option Explicit
Dim myRng As Range
Dim myNameRng As Range
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim VisNameRng As Range
    Dim StrToFind As String
    Dim iCol As Long

    Me.ListBox1.Clear

    If Trim(Me.TextBox1.Value) = "" Then
        Beep
        Exit Sub
    End If

    StrToFind = Me.TextBox1.Value
    myRng.Parent.AutoFilterMode = False

    If Me.CheckBox1.Value = True Then
        StrToFind = "*" & StrToFind & "*"
    End If

    With myRng
        'lastname in column A
        Set myNameRng = .Columns(1)
    End With

    With myNameRng
        .AutoFilter field:=1, Criteria1:=StrToFind
        Set VisNameRng = Nothing
        On Error Resume Next
        Set VisNameRng _
            = .Offset(1, 0).Resize(.Rows.Count - 1, 1) _
                    .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
        On Error GoTo 0
    End With

    If VisNameRng Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Name not found!"
        Exit Sub
    End If

    For Each myCell In VisNameRng.Cells
        With Me.ListBox1
            .AddItem myCell.Value
            For iCol = 2 To myRng.Columns.Count
                .List(.ListCount - 1, iCol - 1) _
                    = myCell.Offset(0, iCol - 1).Text
            Next iCol
        End With
    Next myCell

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    Unload Me
End Sub
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

    With Worksheets("sheet1")
        'resized to 6 columns
        Set myRng = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)).Resize(, 6)
    End With

    Me.ListBox1.ColumnCount = myRng.Columns.Count

    Me.CommandButton1.Caption = "Go"
    Me.CommandButton2.Caption = "Cancel"
    Me.CheckBox1.Caption = "Contains?"

End Sub

And if you're new to Userforms, you may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

Run-time Error "9":  Subscript out of range

Do you happen to know what that might mean?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> [...]
>
> End Sub
>
> If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>
> And if you're new to Userforms, you may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes at:
> http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html
>

> Karen wrote:
> >
> > I really don't want the user to see the spreadsheet, just the information
> > they are searching for.  I was hoping for a form for them to enter the search
> > criteria.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > A couple of options...
> > > 1.  Have the user select the column and hit ctrl-f (short cut for Edit|find).
> > > 2.  Apply Data|filter|autofilter
> > >     (and show them how to use the dropdown arrow)
> > > 3.  Download Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind.
> > >     You can find it here:
> > >     http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/
> > >     (it has some nice options already built in)

0
Karen1 (189)
3/30/2005 8:01:08 PM
I think I fixed the Run-Time Error "9", but now I am receiving this error:

Run-time Error '91':  Object Varable or With Block variable not set  for the
code:

"Karen" wrote:

> [...]
> > Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
> >
> >     With Worksheets("sheet1")
> >         'resized to 6 columns
> >         Set myRng = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)).Resize(, 6)
> >     End With
> >
> >     Me.ListBox1.ColumnCount = myRng.Columns.Count
> >
> >     Me.CommandButton1.Caption = "Go"
> >     Me.CommandButton2.Caption = "Cancel"
> >     Me.CheckBox1.Caption = "Contains?"
> >
> > End Sub
> >
> > If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
> > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
> >
> > And if you're new to Userforms, you may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes at:
> > http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html
> >

> > Karen wrote:
> > >
> > > I really don't want the user to see the spreadsheet, just the information
> > > they are searching for.  I was hoping for a form for them to enter the search

0
Karen1 (189)
3/30/2005 8:09:05 PM
This portion:

    With Worksheets("sheet1")
        'resized to 6 columns
        Set myRng = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)).Resize(, 6)
    End With

could be changed to:

    With activesheet
        'resized to 6 columns
        Set myRng = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)).Resize(, 6)
    End With

To run against the active sheet.

That's my guess.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> This portion:
>
>     With Worksheets("sheet1")
>         'resized to 6 columns
>         Set myRng = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)).Resize(, 6)
>     End With
>
> could be changed to:
>
>     With activesheet
>         'resized to 6 columns
>         Set myRng = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)).Resize(, 6)
>     End With
>
> To run against the active sheet.
>
> That's my guess.
>
> Karen wrote:
> >
> > I think I fixed the Run-Time Error "9", but now I am receiving this error:
> >
> > Run-time Error '91':  Object Varable or With Block variable not set  for the
> > code:
> > myRng.Parent.AutoFilterMode = False
> >
> > "Karen" wrote:
> >
> > > I used the code below.  I am getting the following error.
> > >
> > > Run-time Error "9":  Subscript out of range
> > >
> > > Do you happen to know what that might mean?

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Karen1 (189)
3/31/2005 2:17:02 PM
Yes, but I don't have a guess.  The code I posted worked for me.

I'm guessing that you made a minor (but significant change).  You'll have to
post the code you're using.

--

Dave Peterson
0

create a roster

Task Create - Status

Problem opening Forms
I have several Forms that do not open properly... When I open Access, click on the Forms object, and then choose a particular Form, it opens to a blank screen. On the blank screen, I can see the Form when I select design view, however, when I choose Form view, nothing's there. I've done some playing around and have figured out a way to get the Form to display (in Form view). I go to design view and change 'Data Entry' to 'No'. What's also strange is that my switchboard will open the Form (in Form view) every time. It's only when I open the Form without the...

Exclude folders in a search folder
Hi all, Just a quick question, I'm looking at the search folders of outlook 11. Is it possible to create a custom search and exclude some folders from the result.. For example: all unread mail execpt the mail in "junk", "newsletters" en "sent items". thanks Zodiac Yep right click the search folder and select Customize this folder, you can choose which folders to include by using the browse button "Zodiac" <Nomail@internet.com> wrote in message news:Xns9492CF9A8451ANomailinternetcom@207.46.248.16... > > Hi all, > > Just a qu...

Controlling display of forms
Hi, I'm trying to control what parts of a form are visible or not depending on the user of the computer. I've managed to find and adapt some code to tell me who the user is and I have a table set up with user names and a permission level (1 or 0) I can manually alter the On_Load event of my form to hide the parts I want (tabs) Can anybody help me out with putting it all together so that the forms On_Load event looks at GetUserName function which looks at the UserPermissions table and sets Visible True or False accordingly. This is taking me so long and it looks like it ought ...

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

fill html form with CHtmlView

Continuous form record number
I have a form whose default view is 'continuous form'. Then when I click a button I need to delete the record where the mouse is (was just) placed. How can I find out the record number? Alternatively any idea is welcome. Thanks Henry "H. Martins" <hjrmartins@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b4ab14e1-51c6-4c16-8a78-bc7df76670de@k31g2000vbu.googlegroups.com... >I have a form whose default view is 'continuous form'. > > Then when I click a button I need to delete the record where the mouse > is (was just) placed. > > Ho...

when form created

Creating a Brochure

Search by category
I use a convention of labeling certain incoming messages if they need action, so I can later search for everything that carries this label. (GTDers will recognize this.) I then created a Saved Search where: [Match all criteria if] [Category] [Is] [Current] This used to work perfectly. I could click on the saved search and see all mail messages that were tagged with the category of Current. However, the Entourage database recently had a problem (ERROR: Corruption detected on index [MLRC:1]) and required a rebuild. Now, the Saved Search does not retrieve anything and, if I...

How to create Access macro shortcut

Item search
When I select Edit Item in Store Ops Manager>Item, is it possible to add more columns to the search field? Rather than having to go into find? If not, is this a new feature in version 2 or 3 of RMS? Thanks ...

Creating an ad book

Issue skiping characters by Regular Expressions searching Word
When using Regular Expression search using VBA script in Excel to search Word document, "-" character in the word document gets skiped (substituted with "" empty character). Here is the string in Word: <DE4.0><SWR4.4.l‑CE6:A> Here is the snipet of VBA code used: With Selector.Find .text = "\<DE?*^13" .Replacement.text = "" .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindzz .Format = True .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchAllWordForms = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchWild...

Access unable to create an MDE

form 09-06-07
I have two tables: tbl1: ID# Part#, Problem Description. tbl2: ID#, Supplier response Date1, Supplier response Date2. So, tbl2 is for the follow up information. I create a form: Field1: ID#, Field2: dlookup the information in tbl1. (no entry) Field3: Enter Supplier response Date1 Field4: Enter Supplier response Date2 The user enter ID#, then enter Field3 and Field4. But sometimes then enter Field3, then close the form. fews days later, come back and try to enter the Field4. But if they enter the same ID#, it doesn't show the Field3 is already enter. how can I make it when they enter...