Create a report from different files

I need to create a report from several files with different names but from
the same cells in each file and paste them into a new file with the
information in specific locations and then calculate for totals etc...

How do I direct Excel to get the information?  There may be a changing umber
of files but they will always be in the same folder.

Tom
0
Velnosky (1)

Tom,
What version of Excel do you work with?

"Tom Velnosky" wrote:

> I need to create a report from several files with different names but from
> the same cells in each file and paste them into a new file with the
> information in specific locations and then calculate for totals etc...
>
> How do I direct Excel to get the information?  There may be a changing umber
> of files but they will always be in the same folder.
>
> Tom
0
Christine (97)
7/26/2005 10:40:03 PM
Version 2002 SP3 - on Windows 2000 Professional

"Christine" wrote:

> Tom,
> What version of Excel do you work with?
>
> "Tom Velnosky" wrote:
>
> > I need to create a report from several files with different names but from
> > the same cells in each file and paste them into a new file with the
> > information in specific locations and then calculate for totals etc...
> >
> > How do I direct Excel to get the information?  There may be a changing umber
> > of files but they will always be in the same folder.
> >
> > Tom
Tom,
It should be fairly easy-- Let me work on it a little- but in Excel 2002,
there is import data and refresh imported data-- so you should be able to set
up a master file that compiles all the different ranges from all the
different work books and then "refresh" the master without too much trouble
to make master reports....

"Tom Velnosky" wrote:

> Version 2002 SP3 - on Windows 2000 Professional
>
> "Christine" wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> > What version of Excel do you work with?
> >
> > "Tom Velnosky" wrote:
> >
> > > I need to create a report from several files with different names but from
> > > the same cells in each file and paste them into a new file with the
> > > information in specific locations and then calculate for totals etc...
> > >
> > > How do I direct Excel to get the information?  There may be a changing umber
> > > of files but they will always be in the same folder.
> > >
> > > Tom
0
Christine (97)
7/27/2005 1:04:02 PM
Thanks Christine for your hard work...

Remember, all the files are in one folder but have different names.  After I
have imported the information, then the refresh  can I then sort and format
the data on the sheet before publishing the report?

Thanks

Tom

"Christine" wrote:

> Tom,
> It should be fairly easy-- Let me work on it a little- but in Excel 2002,
> there is import data and refresh imported data-- so you should be able to set
> up a master file that compiles all the different ranges from all the
> different work books and then "refresh" the master without too much trouble
> to make master reports....
>
> "Tom Velnosky" wrote:
>
> > Version 2002 SP3 - on Windows 2000 Professional
> >
> > "Christine" wrote:
> >
> > > Tom,
> > > What version of Excel do you work with?

OK-- Here's go:

Import External Data/Make master file

1) first on all your data source files, you need to NAME RANGES. You can
follow instructions on in Help: select the cells you want to export, goto
Insert, Name, Define and type in a name for your range. (there's different
ways to name a cell)

2) Open a New workbook or open the file that you will create a "master
report" in.

3) Goto Data, Import External Data, Import Data

(ok- there are many types and complicated things that can be imported and
we're going to ignore most all of it because this is the most basic import
that exists)

4) from the Select Data Source box, change the "files of type" to EXCEL
(xls). Browse and find your folder and files, select one of your files. The
Ranges box for that file will pop up in a box (some may be print ranges).
Select the range that you created for importing.

5) After selecting the range,  the Import data box will appear and ask if
you want to import that range on the existing worksheet or on a new
worksheet. You will need to decide what you want: you may want to set up a
master worksheet where each side-by-side column represents different imported
range or set everything up on separate worksheets in the file but then this
is harder to create a "master view" from--  If you pick, existing worksheet,
you will need to indicate (click on the cell) where you want the data to be
dropped.

6) You will need to repeat this for each import.

7) After you import data, you will see a special toolbar that allows for
refreshing data and setting properties.  You can set your data to refresh
automatically or you can control it manually-- (you click and it goes and
gets new data).

8) I don't know who much you will be able to manipulate the data (move it
around/sort) after you get it all imported-- it shouldn't be a problem at
all- you shouldn't have any restrictions. However, to be on the safe side,
DUPLICATE (Create a copy/right click on the TAB) your master worksheet before
experimenting.

Good Luck!

"Tom Velnosky" wrote:

> Thanks Christine for your hard work...
>
> Remember, all the files are in one folder but have different names.  After I
> have imported the information, then the refresh  can I then sort and format
> the data on the sheet before publishing the report?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
>
> "Christine" wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> > It should be fairly easy-- Let me work on it a little- but in Excel 2002,
> > there is import data and refresh imported data-- so you should be able to set
> > up a master file that compiles all the different ranges from all the
> > different work books and then "refresh" the master without too much trouble
> > to make master reports....
> >
> > "Tom Velnosky" wrote:
> >
> > > Version 2002 SP3 - on Windows 2000 Professional

0
Christine (97)

create a roster

Display filename, path in report footers
I am trying to get the filename, path etc appear in report footers. Can anyone tell me how this could be done. Thanks in advance. SJ SJ wrote: >I am trying to get the filename, path etc appear in report footers. >Can anyone tell me how this could be done. Thanks in advance. SJ The path and file name of the front end mdb file can be displayed in a text box by using the expression: =CurrentDb.Name -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] ...

XLS file assocation issue
When I goto Associate a file type for a specific extension, it has it associated to Wordpad when it should be Excel. However, I am not able to change it as the "Always Use the selected program to open" is grayed out and I can't get it be selectable. How do I do it so I can associate the file type to always for Excel. Please advise. I wouldn't work with the associations to start. Instead, I'd let excel try to do it for me. Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserve...

Locating a downloaded file....
I am downloading a file from a website (Janome - sewing machine related) -- and it shows on the list of the downloads pop up window -- but I can't find it on my hard drive. How can I locate the file? It's not in the download folder. If I search for the file name - nothing comes up (I sure miss the old search process). I need to copy this file and move it to a flash drive -- in order to move it to an older laptop that no longer has Internet access - but runs my embroidery sewing machine. But I can't find the file. If I double click on the downloads pop-up -...

Task Create - Status

2007 pst files
I just installed the 2007 update of Office. Everything installed fine, however I can't open Outlook. The error message says there are errors in my Personal Folders.pst. and to use Scanpst.exe to repair it. I can't find the file. I did a search and also looked in the Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 folder - it's not there. How do I get the file and will this work with 2007? Thanks jan it should be located at following.. drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12. -- Laura Rooke MVP - Mobile Devices wiersma7, you wrote on Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:49:20 ...

Restoring Exchange server on a different computer / hardware
I am having a major headache trying to get exhange server online on a diffrent computer / hardware. I follow this microsoft advice http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=822945&product=exch2003 The problem I ran into was that it will not mount the information storage group. The article states that I must Restore the Site Replication Service (SRS) database from the Exchange 2003 server backup. Now I am perplex, as I do not know what that is exactly. I thought, that all I had to do was restore the backup of the information store. How do I backup (SRS) and then restore it? i...

chart on the report
I wanted to have a chart on my report base on my table or query. Are there any controls support this? Your help is great asppreciated, Click on the Query. choose Insert, Report. Choose Chart Wizard. If you want the report to be linked to a field in your report (eg a different sales chart for each employee) then you can make the chart a subreport, putting in the correct section of your report eg the Details section and in the Properties box of the subreport choose the Master and Child fields (the Unique field that the chart and the main report have in common - usually a primary key field) ...

Create external database

Open Report
Using MS Access 2003. I have a filter form that opens a report based on the criteria selected. The user can select 4 different reports. 3 work fine. The other one requires the user to press the process report button twice. On the second press, the report opens fine. I debugged for errors upon opening the report and the degger returns a 0 for err.number after the report is opened. Ideas? Thanks. ...

How to create pie chart with %

excel with another reporting tool?
hi, I have only worked on vba macros where my input and output is both excel. Using macros most of the time it crashes and the end-user is then not comfortable with it. I wanted to go for a better solution. Not sure how go to about it. I was thinking of generating crystal reports. If i use crystal reports how is the format generated. I wanted to its feasibility study. Anyone who has done some work on this please go suggest. Will the end user have the authority to still edit the report. WIll it contain the formulas as we fianlly see in the excel. Please provide any infomartion that...

when form created

Item Movement Report Amendement...
Dear all, Some time ago there was an amendment made to the Item Movement Report provided by Akber (thank you Akber it's great). What I'm interested in is seeing an item's qty sold / on hand (which I already have) and the total committed. If possible, if I could then see what was then available (as in what is on my shelves) that would be great. We find that if we have received 48 items, sell 31 - then look on the shelf and only find 10, we of course are short for that item. Of course, once one does a report on an item by item basis and clicks on the Inventory tab you get...

Creating a Brochure

inconsistent restriction/sort expression error in report writer
When I'm generating the Multicurrency Long Form report, the error "Inconsistent restriction/sort expression. Please add the following restriction 'calc20008 = calc20008' appears. I tried doing the knowledge base article 864430 but still the error appears. This report have modifier with vba in it. It did not specify which fields I need to add in the restriction. Hope someone can help me. Thanks, If you did follow KB article 864430 and you are still getting this error, it means you still have not identified the most nested table in your report (the one with the more d...

HELP! Need Access DB to show realtime changes in different location
Hi Guys, I was wondering about how access refreshes it's data within forms and it seems that it doesn't. If i have a form open in one location on a network and update fields on the form the changes are not shown on the form opened in another location. (I.e. if 2 users are in the same form at the same time and one adds a new record the other users form will not show this change). Is there anyway that Access can be setup to show real-time changes over multiple locations? Preferably without having to do a manual refresh by clicking a button or something. All i want to do is show change...

How to create Access macro shortcut

Chart item reports with OUTLOOK via Excel or ?
I want to create reports for OUTLOOK items (particularly tasks). I'd like to be able to see charts that display things like the amount of time spent on tasks for various clients, the type of work done, and the dates (including time of day). I'd like to be able to look at these reports daily if possible. Is there a way that I can do this? I thought that there must be a way by exporting the items into excel then manually setting up charts but this would be time consuming to do each time. Any help is appreciated (I've spent days trying to figure this out) ...