Crash course in formatting Excel spreadsheets

I need to learn about using Excel spreadsheets for columns of text and using
colors to distinguish information in a cell. We are having lots of problems
with such things as a cell needing to expand or contract based on the amount
of text in it. We would like to not have to manually return at the end of
each line so the text would correctly reformat itself after adding or
deleting text. I've looked through the online training MS offers on their
website and haven't found anything to help me with this. Any other
suggestions in an online or downloadable tutorial for these tasks?

Thanks,
Cathy

"Something" is overriding my Format!
Hi! In our Excel timesheet templates, the cells are formatted with the Number cell with 2 decimal places. When the user types in their time (ie., 8 hours) and moves out of the cell, it should convert the 8 to 8.00. "Something" is overriding the format, however, because the 8 is changing to .80 instead. Does anyone know what is happening? Thanks! Jessi Hi goto 'Tools - Options - Edit' and ucheck 'Fixed decimals' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Marcia wrote: > Hi! In our Excel timesheet templates, the cells are formatted with > the Number ...

Money 2005 Crashes on Starup
When I start Money 05 and sign in online, the program goes to the My Money homepage and then crashes. This happens every time I start money while online. If I check the Work Offline checkbox, the system is fine, but I can't download anything. To get it to work I have to start Money 05 and then before I log in, I kill the mnybbsvc.exe program. Then it will occasionally work, but often requires another kill/startup cycle. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks. PS: I have the latest version and it has worked fine for me so far. Brian In microsoft.public.money, Brian Vallelunga wrote: ...

Multiple Condition Formatting
Hi, Can anyone help me on this: =IF(AND(F65<>0,G59="SELECT CUSTOMER"),APPLY FORMATTING, DON'T APPLY FORMATTING) I have been exploring the Conditional Formatting in 2007 and I may be wrong but I don't see a way to set a condition whereby two(2) logical conditions must be met for it to apply the formatting. Any ideas?? http://excel.tips.net/Pages/T002980_Conditional_Formats_that_Distinguish_Blanks_and_Zeroes.html This could easily be applied to other conditions. Mike "Gerard Sanchez" wrote: > Hi, > > Can anyone help me on this: > ...

multiple SO invoice formats
I have a client that currentlyhas one department printing invoices from SO with the department's logo. Another department now needs to print invoices from SO using the same invoice format but with their own logo. Complicating the situation even further, they now have a second COMPANY database. They need to print another set of invoices from SO using the new company's logo. So I need 3 versions of this form. Is this even possible in RW? I'm assuming one modified report exists for the current invoice layout. Can I have 3 modified versions of one report? Any sug...

EXCEL Mask for data entry
I don't have MS Access but I want to create an Access type Entry Mask for the entry of data into appropriate cells within a background work sheet. I want to create this as a simple entry form for non Excel users. The form would have 6 column and there would be a need for a look up table so when I entered an equipment asset number, its appropriate serial number would auto insert? Am I being too hopeful that such a facility exists within Excel? If by chance it does, where would I look for instructions? Hopefully Bill This is very possible in Excel but there are a few things to unde...

printing same excel sheet with page numbers
I have one excel page and need to print 50 copies. I want them to be numbered 1 to 50. But all I get is page 1 of 1 on all 50. Is there any way to get the 1 sheet to number 1-50? Thanks PMC See this example http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#number -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "PMC" <PMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F062AD1-EEAF-4CBD-89D5-6C756B265ABC@microsoft.com... >I have one excel page and need to print 50 copies. I want them to be numbered > 1 to 50. But all I get is page 1 of 1 on all 50. Is there any wa...

outlook 2003 crashes when opeing inbox email
on certain emails that have a read-only word doc as an attachment, that are in the Inbox, when I go to open them, outlook completely shuts down. other emails are fine. tried this as well: right click on the same email and move to another folder - now I can view it fine. if I reboot the compter, the same situation happens all over again. signed, puzzled Paul in PA ...

WORD vs. EXCEL: How to Optimize
Hi all... I have a fairly complex spreadsheet that also incorporates lots of legal text. The app allows reps to enter info about prospects, and it computes pricing, generates legal documents, and other info. Clearly, EXCEL handles the math, but is weak with text. Depending upon certain inputs, different blocks of text may be used. Ideal world: utilize the best of both. Question: should I make this a WORD_centric document or an EXCEL-centric document, and how to set up the links between the two. Many thanks... /Randy Randy, It depends in part on the layout you want. With Excel, you ge...

conditional formating
Hi, Is it possible to automaticaly hide rows if all values(lets say B10:Z10) in that row are 0? Michael Sub hiderowifallzeros() For Each c In Range("a5:a15") If Application.CountIf(Range("b10:z10"), 0) > 0 _ Then c.EntireRow.hidden=true Next End Sub This will hide rows from 5-10 if col A is blank Sub hizezerorows() For Each c In Range("a5:a15") If Application.IsNumber(c) And c = 0 Then c.EntireRow.Hidden = True Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Michael" <m.vink@nestas.nl> wrote in message news:eyPN1NbuDHA.2...

Formatting & Printing
Hi, I have two Questions. 1) How do you set the formating of certain cells change based upon what is in there. For example if I have a range of data A3:F45 each cell has a similiar formula where data only appears if it meets the criteria..@if (A1="","",b4-F5+H1). How do you make it so that the Formatting changes, based upon if the formula is false or the second option. Specfically the Gridlines around the cell appearing if there is data instead of "". 2) In the above example is there a way, other than manually, to print only the section that shows dat...

Number Format #13
How to format say 123456789 in the format 12,34,56,789. This particula number format is being used in India. (grouping of 2 digits rather tha 3 excluding the last 3 digits -- harikris ----------------------------------------------------------------------- harikrish's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2710 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46647 What version of Excel. In Excel XP see function BhatText as in Thai Bhat currency. =BAHTTEXT(A37) If you just have positive numbers you can use as custom format like: [&g...

excel 2000 convert to excel 2003
Hi I would like to move current excell 2000 spread sheets and open them in 2003 excel. Please help in any way. I have copied my excell 2000 data onto a floppy however it will not open in Excel 2003 XL2000 and XL2003 share exactly the same file format and so should open just fine in either. However, you should never open XL files on floppies - XL uses temporary files, which may exceed the capacity of the floppy. Instead, copy the file from the floppy to your HD before opening. In article <72864281-728A-4B27-8317-A760E6440BB2@microsoft.com>, cityof <cityof@discussions.microsoft...

MS excell 2007 Data verification list
I am attempting to use the list function within data verification for drop down menus. I need a list that is conditional upon the information in another cell. Example: The first cell offers a drop down menu with specific Make of equipment. From what appears in that cell I seek to offer only the Models for that Make of equipment on a list in another cell. I considered using a series of IF statements to run macros however I don’t know how to invoke a macro from within a formula. Any suggestions? Thank You =if(“Trane”,macro,=If(Crrier,macro,=If(Bitzer,macro…))) See Debra D...

crash in Exit_Instance
I have a simple dialog-based application that loads a dll. I am having a problem with it as follows: When I close the main window, I get an access violation in the ExitInstance function. I see that ExitInstance is called once for the dll (which succeeds) and then once for the main app (which is the call that fails). Stepping through the code, I see that the access violation occurs because the pointer returned by AfxGetModuleState for the second call of ExitInstance points to memory that appears to have been deleted already, and in fact is the same as the pointer returned by the fi...

how do i print from excel to envelopes
mailing address and return address print directly to envelopes or labels from excel There is not an easy method to do it in Excel without trial and error manipulation. Use Word's mailmerge...........labels and envelopes. Assuming you are using Word for the mailmerge and Excel for the source see these sites for help. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:41:01 -0700, gus <gus@...

Information store crashes due to IMC??
I'm running EX5.5SP4 on Win2kSP4 My information store keeps crashing with the exact same event ID's as listed in KB article 278320. Yet the fix listed in the article is SP4 for Exchange?? I even reinstalled SP4 early last week & it's still crashing every third day or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Patrick Ford Start by applying post-SP4 hot-fixes. If it continues to crash - call MS PSS and ask for help. KC2NC wrote: > I'm running EX5.5SP4 on Win2kSP4 > My information store keeps crashing with the exact same event ID's as listed > in KB article...

Convert Date Format
Hi. I have a column of datatype nvarchar(255) which stores date. It contains date value in different date formats. Now I want to convert the column datatype to datetime with format DD/MM/YYYY in SQL Server 2000. Regards, Muhammad Bilal Muhammad, The difficulty will be in interpreting the different date formats in the character strings and determining which format the date is in. For some examples. Two digit years are very hard to recognize: select convert(datetime, '08/12/31', 1) -- 2031-08-12 00:00:00.000 select convert(datetime, '08/12/31', 2) -- 200...

anyway common way to handle crash i com object?
Any common way to handle com interface crash?actually i coudn't finout exact reason of crash..(crash coming in releasing time,once in a while) any help really appreciable What kind of crash? Is it throwing an exception? AliR. <hellokareem@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1145870108.295757.254160@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Any common way to handle com interface crash?actually i coudn't finout > exact reason of crash..(crash coming in releasing time,once in a while) > any help really appreciable > You have provided no information to help you. Make a releas...

Serial date format displayed in combo box problem
I am using a combobox on a form, and using the rowsource property importing a series of dates in the following format 17/11/03 form a worksheet. When you select the pulldown arrow the format 17/11/03 appears for the entire list, however when you select the date the 37548 appears in the combobox. How do you fix this? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ How about something like: Option Explicit Dim blkProc As Boolean Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() If bl...

Column width format
When I copy tables into Excel the columns are not adjusted to fit the contents. I select the the table and double click to adjust the width but it only adjusts one column even though the table is selected. Is there a way that I can just double click one time and it does the whole table? Thanks in advance. Hi Falcios If you just copy a table, the column widths are not brought across. To bring the column widths, you must copy the entire columns. The other option is: (1) Copy the table across as you are currently doing (2) Then go back to the original spreadsheet and ...

Web Publishing from Excel
Hi there. I have spent the last few days designing a spreadsheet that I had planned on publishing to the web (static data)... Within the spreadsheet, I have a number of "series" and have made the series names into links within Excel. However, excel AUTOMATICALLY seems to be prefacing the filename (i.e. s&p.htm) with the full path name where it is located on my harddrive (which will not work once uploaded to the web). Is there any way to stop it from doing this? As well, I would like to specify the target of the <a href...> to be a different frame, as it currently ...

Visio 2007 - "Save as" PNG Format
Hello everybody After googling around for about an hour, I'm gonna try here... I've made a drawing in 1820*980 pixel resolution, and want to save it in the PNG file format, but i get the error message: "An error has occured (920)..." when i used the "save as" function... No matter what format i choose... jpg, bmp, gif or png, I get the same error I found a solution on technet, but it was for Visio 2002, and it didn't help me out at all since it told me to save my drawing in png file format to get rid of the error message :-( I hobe someone ...

Formatting Toolbar disappears
I have a user with Outlook 2002 sp 2 and the formatting toolbar keeps disappearing for no apparent reason. Any ideas why this is happening or can I disable the user from changing it? thanks John ...

can excel report scientific values rather than absolute numbers?
I'm trying to create a workbook capable of doing the maths behind a biological calculation. The results are very low (x10 E-6) and i would like to report this with the correct scientic prefix (pico- nano- etc...) is this possible in excel? eg result comes as 3.41323E-06 i would really like 3.41 pMol i can get it down to 2 decimal places but i can't set a rule to 'replace e-06 with pMol' On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:09:08 -0700, JamesB <JamesB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to create a workbook capable of doing the maths behind a >biological ...

Clip Organizer Crash Crash Crash
At my wit's end. Win Xp Pro SP1 Office 2002 SP2 Pentium 2.4Ghz HT 1GB RAM Defragged Disk Clean up - OK Recycle Bin - Empty Internet Cache - Clean Temp Folder - Empty Clip Organizer - Compact Video Drivers - OK (Installed when system was set up, operating for 6 months without a problem.) Working on Publisher files. Insert picture, Enter key word, Search, Get results, Start to scroll through results, Little by little, clips start to appear more slowly until finally the program hangs and clips no longer continue to appear, I get 'Program has stopped responding', or have to s...