Counting With Blank Rows

Hi,

If I have a column of numbers like this:

6   3

9   3

1   4

How do I count the number of items between the blanks so it will look like I
have it in the example.  The number to the right and bottom is the count.  So,
for the numbers 4,5 6 the count is three.  For 7,8 9 the count is three and for
the numbers 2,7,4,1 the count is four.

Is there a way to do this withoug using a macro?

Thanks.
0
smdiydli (5)

Hi,

You need to use the "count" function.  If the rows in your example are 1-12
and the column is A, for the first group you'd type in (in column B)
"=count(a1:a3)" (without the quote marks), for the second you'd type in
"=count(a5:a7)" and in the last you'd type in "=count(a9:a12)".  Note that
after you've typed in the first "(" you can click and drag your mouse over
the cells you want to count up and excel will automatically fill in the
blanks for you.

Excel has a pretty good help menu for the functions.  It may be worth your
while taking some time to have a look through it for the more used functions
such as sum, count etc.  Remember, count will only work for numbers not on
other characters or text, you can count them using =counta().  Count will
also ignore blank cells.

Fiona

"SMDIYDLI" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I have a column of numbers like this:
>
> 4
> 5
> 6   3
>
> 7
> 8
> 9   3
>
> 2
> 7
> 4
> 1   4
>
> How do I count the number of items between the blanks so it will look like I
> have it in the example.  The number to the right and bottom is the count.  So,
> for the numbers 4,5 6 the count is three.  For 7,8 9 the count is three and for
> the numbers 2,7,4,1 the count is four.
>
> Is there a way to do this withoug using a macro?
>
> Thanks.

0
Fiona (9)
12/20/2004 6:07:01 AM
Hi
in B1 enter the following array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER)
formula:
=IF(A2<>"","",COUNT(OFFSET($A2,0,0,-(SUM(ROW($A2))-MAX(IF($A$1:$A1="",ROW($A$1:$A1),0))))))

and copy this down

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

SMDIYDLI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I have a column of numbers like this:
>
> 4
> 5
> 6   3
>
> 7
> 8
> 9   3
>
> 2
> 7
> 4
> 1   4
>
> How do I count the number of items between the blanks so it will look
> like I have it in the example.  The number to the right and bottom is
> the count.  So, for the numbers 4,5 6 the count is three.  For 7,8 9
> the count is three and for the numbers 2,7,4,1 the count is four.
>
> Is there a way to do this withoug using a macro?
>
> Thanks.

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Pivot table and counting.

Excluding Rows During Printout
Hi, Is there a way to automatically exclude rows when printing an Excel sheet? I have a list of items (in two colums) in a work sheet similar to this: Task Time ----------- ------- Task A: 1 Task B: 0 Task C: 2 Task D: 0 Task E: 0 Task F: 0 Task G: 4 Task H: 1 When I print the worksheet I only want to print lines where the time cell is not zero. So the printout from the previous data would look like this: Task Time ----------- ------- Task A: 1 Task C: 2 Task G: 4 Task H: 1 Is there a...

Cycle Counting

Count

Extra Blank Lines
The following macro imports a text file and sorts horse races in time order and puts a blank line in between each race time (which is at the end of the code), which it does admirably. I had some valuable help with this project from group members recently. However, it does create quite a few blank lines en bloc. It's not really a problem, as I search them out and do a delete. Below is the code which a member might use in order to find the cause of the blank lines? Sub Macro1() Range("A2:J601").Select Selection.ClearContents Range("A2").Select ...

Read values from excel rows
hi I am trying to read the values from a excel row. There are 89 columns for each row and same number of data in each rows. Kindly help regards shantanu shantanu, You need to explain how/where you want to read them.... From another workbook, another worksheet, a VBA function, a macro, a C# application? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "shantanu" <shantanusenin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184298794.259390.216180@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > hi > I am trying to read the values from a excel row. There are 89 > columns for each row and same number of da...

Line count

Populate Blank Fields with "0" based on checkmark.
I have a form with 20 fields. The user enters data into some but not all of the fields depending on where they collected data. Is it possible to create a checkbox where, after the user enters their data, they click the checkbox, and any of the 20 fields that are blank get populated with a 0? Thanks for the help. Is there any reason you want them to be zero? If they are numeric fields, you can set the default to zero in table design view. There is no need to use a checkbox, you can arrange it so any empty fields are converted to zero when you move to another record or exit th...

Makeing a row to be invisible.
Hi, Without using VBA, how can I make a row of cells to be invisible base on value of another cell. for example: make a row to be invisible (by setting row's text color same as background color) if another cell's value is equal to zero. Thanks in advance. Select row to hide. Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is: =$A$2=0 Format>Font>Color.......white OK your way out. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:21:33 -0800, "A-Design" <afshinstock@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Without using VBA, how can I make a row of cells to be ...

Paste Special Skip Blanks not skipping blanks, but overwriting...
Using Excel 2003, I'm having problems getting the "skip blanks" feature to work. It works on one computer using 2003, but not on another. I updated, but still have the problem. ...

double-click in between two rows or two columns
How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions when I double-click in between two rows or two column ? Thanks Hi This is a feature of Excel! When you double click the border of the selected cell, the cursor will go to the edge of the contiguous data on the sheet. It's very useful for jumping to the start/end of data. I don't know of a way to disable it. -- Andy. "Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bf5d01c4382c$a19b1bf0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions > when I double-c...

Counting sales

Trying to open a blank document
Every time I open Word a particular document opens with it. I seem to be unable to open a blank document. I deleted the document that appears every time I open Word and still that same document is there when I open Word and /or a new blank page on Word. Any advice on how to correct this? See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/blankdocnotblank.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Chairlady1" <Chairlady1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7D6D85F-9ED4-4D23-944A-8A977F9F672A@microsoft.com... > Every time I open Word a particular docum...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

From Rows to Columun #3
I have data in rows, I want to past to columns so i can import intio access... HELP Example (Current data) 3 42 42 3 38 38 4 22 I want to move to 3 42 42 3 38 38 4 22 THANKS ...

Sending Blank E-Mails
For some strange reason, Outlook 2007 started sending all my e-mail as blanks. However, the receipient can click on REPLY to open. I have never used any type of signature, encrypted or initiated any kind of privacy measure. I have searched through all the commands, menus and toolbars but still can't figure this out. It seems as though this may be a private way to send e-mails. There were other problems so I reloaded Outlook 2007 and also clicked on DEFAULT SETTINGS. NOTHING CAN STOP IT! How do I turn this off? I have a large newsletter to send out and no one will get it. HELP! Th...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...

Counting a count
How do I count a count?? This is what im trying to do: I have a database with a table named tblMain and has incorporated everything within that table but contains info from about 8 other tables. I have not doesigned this database and it appears to have a very poor structure...anyway There are three fields involved in this process...'Request' (either 'dispensation', 'waiver' or 'dispensation and waiver'), 'Department' (which consists of 7 other drop down menu options) and 'RequestStatus' which contains the status of each request by another...

Count Problem
Hi I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits" All the cells have a formula in them. The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a different worksheet called "Names" ie: =Names!A1 = Names!A2 etc etc I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the sheet called "Audits" At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously...

Merging of rows.
I have a excel sheet in which there is data in only one column. The data is spread in 2 or 3 rows and after that there is blank row. The data spread in these row is related to one row. I want to bring this spread data in one row. Blank row can be as it is between ro useful data rows. Maybe a macro would do it: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim CurWks As Worksheet Dim NewWks As Worksheet Dim DestCell As Range Dim BigArea As Range Dim SmallArea As Range Set CurWks = Worksheets("Sheet1") Set NewWks = Worksheets.Add Set DestCell ...

unique or distinct count from xml
How to get a unique count from a xml <Orders> <Order ID="1111" Amount="200"></Order> <Order ID= "2222" Amount="10"></Order> <Order ID="3333" Amount="5"></Order> <Order ID="1111" Amount="20"></Order> </Orders> The result should be 3 unique count and the 4 Order Id counts. How can i get using XPathNodeIterator using Compile,Execute with a XPathNavigator thanks you bhu The XPath expression for that is count(Orders/Order[not(@ID=preceding-sibling::Or...

blank vs. 0 when plotting a dated timescale graph
Greetings! I have a plot with dates on the x-axis and numbers on the y-axis. I am importing database data into excel in the first tab, and referencing that data in the second tab. The problem I run into is that when the imported cell is blank, the reference in tab 2 displays a 0 value. This presents a problem for my plot, which is auto-scaled on the x-axis. Example case (3x3 table): x values: 03/01/07, 05/01/07, blank cell y values: 50, 30, 20 The blank cell is for a future date that has not transpired. The y- value is known, but the actual date realized is not, until it happens. (1) M...