Counting the number of entries in a column

Hi!

I have area numbers in column A and the number of produkts ordered in column B

I want to count the number of entries in a particular area bearing in mind I
just want to see the number of entries rather than sum them up like SUMIF. Is
there a convenient formula which would allow me to do this?

Thanks for any help

Hi,
I assume your product is in column B and the product name is XX

=countif(B1:B100,"XX")

Change range and product name to fit your needs

you can have as well the product you want to count entered in a cell let's
say C1 in that case you can replace the above formula with

=countif(B1:B100,C1)

if this helps please click yes thanks

"Wombat" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have area numbers in column A and the number of produkts ordered in column B
>
> I want to count the number of entries in a particular area bearing in mind I
> just want to see the number of entries rather than sum them up like SUMIF. Is
> there a convenient formula which would allow me to do this?
>
> Thanks for any help
I dont have the product name in column B. Just the number of products ordered
(usually more than one)

"Eduardo" wrote:

> Hi,
> I assume your product is in column B and the product name is XX
>
> =countif(B1:B100,"XX")
>
> Change range and product name to fit your needs
>
> you can have as well the product you want to count entered in a cell let's
> say C1 in that case you can replace the above formula with
>
> =countif(B1:B100,C1)
>
> if this helps please click yes thanks
>
> "Wombat" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have area numbers in column A and the number of produkts ordered in column B
> >
> > I want to count the number of entries in a particular area bearing in mind I
> > just want to see the number of entries rather than sum them up like SUMIF. Is
> > there a convenient formula which would allow me to do this?
> >
> > Thanks for any help
Ok, so what do you want to count, could you give me an example of your data,
thanks

"Wombat" wrote:

> I dont have the product name in column B. Just the number of products ordered
> (usually more than one)
>
> "Eduardo" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I assume your product is in column B and the product name is XX
> >
> > =countif(B1:B100,"XX")
> >
> > Change range and product name to fit your needs
> >
> > you can have as well the product you want to count entered in a cell let's
> > say C1 in that case you can replace the above formula with
> >
> > =countif(B1:B100,C1)
> >
> > if this helps please click yes thanks
> >
> > "Wombat" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have area numbers in column A and the number of produkts ordered in column B
> > >
> > > I want to count the number of entries in a particular area bearing in mind I
> > > just want to see the number of entries rather than sum them up like SUMIF. Is
> > > there a convenient formula which would allow me to do this?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help
Then just use

=COUNTIF(A:A,"area_name")

HTH

Bob

"Wombat" <Wombat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I dont have the product name in column B. Just the number of products
>ordered
> (usually more than one)
>
> "Eduardo" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I assume your product is in column B and the product name is XX
>>
>> =countif(B1:B100,"XX")
>>
>> Change range and product name to fit your needs
>>
>> you can have as well the product you want to count entered in a cell
>> let's
>> say C1 in that case you can replace the above formula with
>>
>> =countif(B1:B100,C1)
>>
>> if this helps please click yes thanks
>>
>> "Wombat" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I have area numbers in column A and the number of produkts ordered in
>> > column B
>> >
>> > I want to count the number of entries in a particular area bearing in
>> > mind I
>> > just want to see the number of entries rather than sum them up like
>> > SUMIF. Is
>> > there a convenient formula which would allow me to do this?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help

0
Bob
1/20/2010 1:40:08 PM
Right:

column A contains numbers 30 to 40 representing which area the customer is in.
Column B contains the number of articles ordered by this customer. eg 5

I want to be able to count how many customers from each area has placed an
order eg. how many cells have something in them in column B WHEN column A
contains the correct area number

I basically need a formula which would work in a similar fashion to a SUMIF
but without it adding the numbers... just counting how many cells have
something in them

"Eduardo" wrote:

> Ok, so what do you want to count, could you give me an example of your data,
> thanks
>
> "Wombat" wrote:
>
> > I dont have the product name in column B. Just the number of products ordered
> > (usually more than one)
> >
> > "Eduardo" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I assume your product is in column B and the product name is XX
> > >
> > > =countif(B1:B100,"XX")
> > >
> > > Change range and product name to fit your needs
> > >
> > > you can have as well the product you want to count entered in a cell let's
> > > say C1 in that case you can replace the above formula with
> > >
> > > =countif(B1:B100,C1)
> > >
> > > if this helps please click yes thanks

Make a list of your areas in column E starting in E1 and in F1 enter

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$3=E1)*($B$1:$B$3<>""))

change range to fit your needs and copy formula down, remember range has to
be the same in both sides of the formula

"Wombat" wrote:

> Right:
>
> column A contains numbers 30 to 40 representing which area the customer is in.
> Column B contains the number of articles ordered by this customer. eg 5
>
> I want to be able to count how many customers from each area has placed an
> order eg. how many cells have something in them in column B WHEN column A
> contains the correct area number
>
> I basically need a formula which would work in a similar fashion to a SUMIF
> but without it adding the numbers... just counting how many cells have
> something in them
>

> "Eduardo" wrote:
>
> > Ok, so what do you want to count, could you give me an example of your data,
> > thanks
> >
> > "Wombat" wrote:
> >
> > > I dont have the product name in column B. Just the number of products ordered
> > > (usually more than one)

It works! Thanks for the help :-)

"Eduardo" wrote:

> Make a list of your areas in column E starting in E1 and in F1 enter
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$3=E1)*($B$1:$B$3<>""))
>
> change range to fit your needs and copy formula down, remember range has to
> be the same in both sides of the formula
>
> "Wombat" wrote:
>
> > Right:
> >
> > column A contains numbers 30 to 40 representing which area the customer is in.
> > Column B contains the number of articles ordered by this customer. eg 5
> >
> > I want to be able to count how many customers from each area has placed an
> > order eg. how many cells have something in them in column B WHEN column A
> > contains the correct area number
> >
> > I basically need a formula which would work in a similar fashion to a SUMIF
> > but without it adding the numbers... just counting how many cells have
> > something in them
> >

> > "Eduardo" wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, so what do you want to count, could you give me an example of your data,
> > > thanks

Inserting Columns in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I select a column or columns to enabalize inserting additional columns, nothing happens. I can't get columns to insert in either the page layout view or the normal view. Why is something so simple not working? All I get is a little paintbrush icon that wants me to decide if I want the formatting of the adjacent column or not. Please help, it can't be that hard! No offense, but my guess is that you're misinterpreting the feature & perhaps using it on a blank sheet. The command does not increase...

How to get a long column of numbers to wrap and print on 1 page?
I have a long column of numbers that we add to daily. This column needs to be sorted in ascending order and then printed. I don't know of a way to sort multiple columns together so that is why it is one long column. Is there a way to get it to print as multiple columns across a page so as to not have numerous pages with only 1 column on each? Thanks. take a look here: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm In article <3880FBB4-BF95-4A82-B98A-519C79BF1A34@microsoft.com>, Sue <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a long column of numbers th...

Pivot table and counting.

Cycle Counting

Removiing decimals from an excel number
Here is the issue: I have numbers like this one - 10000.01.01.200 I just want the prime number 10000. How can I do that? I tried Ctrl+F and replace but is there a more efficient way? Thanks! =LEFT(A1,FIND(".",A1)-1) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "Data Analyst" wrote: > Here is the issue: I have numbers like this one - 10000.01.01.200 > > I just want the prime number 10000. How can I do that? I tried Ctrl+F and > replace but is there a more efficient way? > > Thanks! try this =LEFT(A1,FIND(".",A1,1)-1)...

Count

Window's verson numbers
I'm writing an app in C++ using VS.net and I need to do this based on the OS. I can get the OS version number using _osver global variable found in the include STDLIB.H. But I need a list of what version number correspond to what OS so I know what the value in _osver means. Does anyone know where I can find these definitions? Also the major and minor builds might be useful? If this is the wrong newsgroup could you direct me to the right one? Thank Lots, Neil Neil B wrote: >I'm writing an app in C++ using VS.net and I need to do this based on the OS. >I can get the OS ver...

Openning Grouped Columns in Protected Sheets
We want to put such a protection to the sheet that, the protection will not prevent the user from openning grouped columns. This is possible only through a macro, for example: Sub a() With Sheet1 .EnableOutlining = True .Protect , True, True, True, True End With End Sub This setting does not get saved with the workbook, so it must be reset by running this macro each time the workbook is opened. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Line count

Text to Columns 06-01-10
Hi. I have a column where I have names and surnames. I want to put name in one column and surname in anoter column. In order to do this, I use Text to Columns, but I have the following issue: if the cell contains for example Juan Pérez, it works ok, but when the cell contains Juan De los Santos, it assumes there are three surnames, and then put me one word in each column. This is the result, with the example mentioned: A B C D Juan Pérez Juan De los Santos How can I indicate that...

Counting sales

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Column Forumulas
I'm sure this is simple, but i suck with excel. Okay, I want to mulitply column A by column B and paste the product into column C. For example, A2 x B2 = C2, but for say, 100 rows without having to do it by hand. -- GuitarFingers ------------------------------------------------------------------------ GuitarFingers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34737 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=544964 Select the 100 cells in C, starting at C2 In the formula bar, enter =A2*B2 Use Ctrl-Enter to enter the formula...

telephone number field mask
I have a field I use for telephone numbers. I would like the mask to return data like this : 111 111 1111. What is the formula for this? Any help is appreciated. Mtn244: Thanks much for assistance. I tried your mask with great success. All is good in River City. Thanks again for your help. Frank "mtn244" <mtn244@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82895481-BC0D-4FB7-A9A8-1649395C1224@microsoft.com... > Try this input mask: > !999 000 0000;0; > > "Frank" wrote: > >> I have a field I use for telephone numbers. I would lik...

Astrisks out restricted form entry
I have an open form event that triggers a restricted form in vba. strPasswd = InputBox("Enter Password", "Restricted Form") The form is only code, not an actual form. How do I astrisks out the password that is entered? You can't. The InputBox doesn't have that capability. You can create a form that has a text box with the appropriate Password Input Mask, and have it pass the value back to your originating form. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Ryan Tisserand" <RyanTisserand@discussions.microsoft...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...

Counting a count
How do I count a count?? This is what im trying to do: I have a database with a table named tblMain and has incorporated everything within that table but contains info from about 8 other tables. I have not doesigned this database and it appears to have a very poor structure...anyway There are three fields involved in this process...'Request' (either 'dispensation', 'waiver' or 'dispensation and waiver'), 'Department' (which consists of 7 other drop down menu options) and 'RequestStatus' which contains the status of each request by another...

Percentage calculation on text columns
I have a sheet that represents exam candidates, their grades over 3 assignments with an average score, in the final COLUMN there is an indication of whether they have passed or failed in the format "Pass" "Fail". I need a formula that will count the overall group and give a percentage of the group that has failed. Can anyone help? -- Connor ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Connor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27970 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4...

Number format / field size
I want to set a Primary key with 16 digits - 4 groups of 4 numbers with spaces between - which I can use in a calculated field to increment. I have tried every permutation I can think of, can anyone help please? Use 4 separate fields, put contraints so that none of them can exceed 9999, and concatenate them into a single field in a calculated field in a query. Use the query wherever you would otherwise have used the table. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Kitty R" <Kitty R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Count Problem
Hi I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits" All the cells have a formula in them. The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a different worksheet called "Names" ie: =Names!A1 = Names!A2 etc etc I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the sheet called "Audits" At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously...

Change back to default cell and column width.
Hi, I have an excel sheet which have different cell size. I want to get back to default cell size for the whole worksheet. Is that possible and how? rgds, Mosaddeq Hi, 1. Click the top left corner of the spreadsheet to select the entire sheet. Or press Ctrl A while in a blank cell. 2. Choose Format, Row, Height and enter 12.75 3. Choose Format, Column, Width and enter 8.43 If this helps, please click the Yes button. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Mosaddeq Aziz" wrote: > Hi, > > I have an excel sheet which have different cell size. I want to get back to > ...

unique or distinct count from xml
How to get a unique count from a xml <Orders> <Order ID="1111" Amount="200"></Order> <Order ID= "2222" Amount="10"></Order> <Order ID="3333" Amount="5"></Order> <Order ID="1111" Amount="20"></Order> </Orders> The result should be 3 unique count and the 4 Order Id counts. How can i get using XPathNodeIterator using Compile,Execute with a XPathNavigator thanks you bhu The XPath expression for that is count(Orders/Order[not(@ID=preceding-sibling::Or...