Counting text cells #3

I have a range of cells A25:A256 that contain text entries of various types (doesn't matter).  How do I get it in cell A258 to give me a total of cells that have text in them within that range 25:256

Thanks, Gurus
Jessica
0
jessica.w (6)

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISTEXT(A25:A256)))

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Jessica Walton" <jessica.w@zimshipping.com> wrote in message
> I have a range of cells A25:A256 that contain text entries of various
types (doesn't matter).  How do I get it in cell A258 to give me a total of
cells that have text in them within that range 25:256?

> Thanks, Gurus!
> Jessica

0
terre08 (1112)
4/30/2004 6:47:10 PM
=COUNTA(A1:A22)
=COUNTIF(A1:A23,"<>"&0)

These will give the count of cells that are not empty, however they will not
distinguish text from numbers, just cells that aren't empty.
Regards,
"Jessica Walton" <jessica.w@zimshipping.com> wrote in message
> I have a range of cells A25:A256 that contain text entries of various
types (doesn't matter).  How do I get it in cell A258 to give me a total of
cells that have text in them within that range 25:256?

> Thanks, Gurus!
> Jessica

0
alan111 (582)

Excel-how (find/replace) for multifmat cells w/o changing fmat
For a client, i need to be able to find and replace words in cells with 2 formats. But when you replace them,it changes the format of the whole cell, and not just what you changed. Is there any way to work around this without changing the format after all of the find and replaces? Saved from a previous post, but this one has some wordwrap problems fixed: I think you'd have to keep track of each character's font attributes. This works very slowly, but works: Option Explicit Option Compare Text Type myCharacter myChar As String myLen As Long myName As String myFo...

Pivot table and counting.

how to make cells automatically format to entered text size?
hello, i am new to excel and i would like to have it resize the cells automatically to the size of the text i entered. i know if i click on a cell and do format - line break it does it for one cell. but how can i have excel do this automatically for every cell in every workbook? thanks Frank Barenhorst email: frank.barenhorst@mailshelter.de Frank Hit CRTL + A to select all cells. Format>Alignment>Wrap Text. To make this the default for all new workbooks and sheets.... Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. File>Save As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and...

text box printing problems
I have created text boxes using the tool bar, however when I print the sheet or even print preview it moves all the text boxes to the left when it returns to the normal view. I do not want them to realign, but have tried everthing and can not figure out why they are doing this. xl2002??? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838910 Controls move to the left of the worksheet in Microsoft Excel 2002 But Jim Rech recently posted this: This article is now obsolete. Since the 10/12/2004 security patch there is no need to get a hotfix (although this article does not directl...

Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) error
What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the error? Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) Thanks Daniel Hi Daniel, Too much missing information - has r been declared and what data type is it and what value does it have. What property of the range are you trying to store in the variable RN? What type of variable is RN and has it been declared. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Daniel" wrote: > What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the > error? > > Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) > &...

Import text file from MS Word into MS Publisher.
I have created a text file in Word and a photo file in Publisher and would like to merge the two. When I imported Word, it seemed to be totally separate from the Publisher document - 7 pages of Word and 8 pages of photos. I want the Word pages to precede the Publisher pages. How is this done? >-----Original Message----- >I have created a text file in Word and a photo file in Publisher and would >like to merge the two. When I imported Word, it seemed to be totally >separate from the Publisher document - 7 pages of Word and 8 pages of photos. > >I want the Word pages ...

Cycle Counting

Count

change highlight color on active cells
How do I change the active highlight color of an active cell. Louis Only though VBA. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static OldCell As Range If Not OldCell Is Nothing Then OldCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone End If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow Set OldCell = Target End Sub This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy and paste into that module. Chip Pearson has a great add-in named Rowliner.xla that will make the highlighting available for all sheets and workbooks. The code above w...

Adding Text to Charts
I have created a chart in Excel that tracks one of the stock indexes. I have been able to point arrows to specific days and add text so I know what was the reason the stock index was up or down on that day. However, as my chart expands the arrows and text are no longer associated with those day I initially intended it for. Is there any way in Excel to associate text with specific day and have it attached so that if the chart grows or shrinks it will always be associated with that particular day. Thanks Hi Roy, The trick is to group the graphic element and the chart. When adding a graph...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

To keep in just one cell all values related to a monthly rate
I have to update in a monthly basis a currency rate. I know that there is a function, formula (or something like that) to link a month descripton to a number. e.g. September09 1,325 October09 2,235 November09 1,258 I would like to select correspondent month and the cell be updated with the value. Data Validation dropdown list for choosing the month combined with a lookup table and VLOOKUP function. For help on creating data validation dropdown lists see Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal01.html For help on VLOOKUP to populat...

configure text box
I recently upgraded to Publisher 2003. I can't find how to configure text boxes to overlap each other and keep the text in the same position. In my old version, there was a "check" box in the format text box to allow for this. I've tried different wrapping options in 2003, but can't figure it out. You never have been able to do this in any version of Publisher. You are dreaming about a Text Box - never existed. You either have to place one Text Frame on the Background (Ctrl+M) or convert one to a graphic. -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road...

Can I limit a cell to 2 characters?
Is there a way in Excel to limit the number of characters in a cell? Thanks Frank By checking the length of the cell =LEN(A1)=2 in your custom validation. Look for Data Validation on Debra Dalgleish's site. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Frankc" <Frankc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:842747F1-1792-4BB5-B3CE-707C7CC5F88F@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Excel to lim...

Training Material for CRM 3.0
Is there any eCourse, class training or exams available for 3.0 yet ? I know the training guides have been completed. Whether they are available to be purchased yet is another story. Contact you MBS reseller to see if they have them yet ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_community.mspx "cpj" <cpj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF758215-686F-4FD3-9186-A2DE596AB67C@microsoft.com... > Is there any eCourse, class training or exams available for 3.0 yet ? ...

Line count

Formatting cells in Excel with Ascending/Descending order
I am trying to insert a drop down asceding/descending arrow in the cell of the excel document. When you click on the arrow which is a small box on the right side of the cell, it will organize all figures/data in that column and you can choose between ascending/descending, or how you want to organize it. Thank you -- Andrew ...

Simple...Update Text Box in Chart
Hello, I have a chart in an MS Excel worksheet and I would like to change the value/caption of a textbox( Text Box 20). I have only been able to change the title of the chart with the following: With MyChart.Workbooks(1).Worksheets("Chart").ChartObjects(1).Chart .HasTitle = True .ChartTitle.Text = "Summary of Report" & date() 'Add Today's Date End With Do I have to reference the chart or do I have to reference the textbox itself? Hi, If the shape is actual embedded in the chart object then something like, ActiveChart.Shapes(&quo...

Text to Columns 06-01-10
Hi. I have a column where I have names and surnames. I want to put name in one column and surname in anoter column. In order to do this, I use Text to Columns, but I have the following issue: if the cell contains for example Juan Pérez, it works ok, but when the cell contains Juan De los Santos, it assumes there are three surnames, and then put me one word in each column. This is the result, with the example mentioned: A B C D Juan Pérez Juan De los Santos How can I indicate that...

Counting sales

I'm looking for finacial advice. #3
I'm looking for finacial advice. http://www.swoopon.com/Swoopon/money.htm ...

RMS 3.0
Does anyone know when 3.0 will be available ? Is there a beta to play with ? The Beta version is due in Q1 2008 with the release set later in the year but I think it is behind schedule. The HQ version will probably not be until 2009 By the way it won't be called RMS any more but something like Microsoft POS Express, Standard and Professional or something along those lines. Can't remember the exact names. "John Pierce" wrote: > Does anyone know when 3.0 will be available ? > > Is there a beta to play with ? > That is so far away. I don't think I can...

Disappearing text
When I paste some text from a web page into Word 2007, I can edit the text but it does not print. It does not appear in print preview either. However I can read it in Word. I notice the text has underlining. What gives? Sounds as if the text is formatted as hidden. Select it and clear the "Hidden" option in the Font dialog box (Ctrl+D). If you see a filled box (instead of a check mark), just click the option twice to turn it off. (The filled box indicates different settings in the selection; for example, some text may be hidden while other text is not.) -- Stefan B...