Counting rows, then counting values.

I have a lot of spreadsheets with many rows and columns of numbers. I need
a way to find the highest value in each row, (mark it some how, bold the
number maybe), then count the number of "highest" values are in each
column.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank You,
Michael
0
forum1 (79)

Hi Michael

You can use this to get the value

=MAX(A1:A20)

and this to count

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,MAX(A1:A20))

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Michael via OfficeKB.com" <forum@nospam.OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:152907df2ac24b6ab6ee8d51d46958d9@OfficeKB.com...
>I have a lot of spreadsheets with many rows and columns of numbers. I need
> a way to find the highest value in each row, (mark it some how, bold the
> number maybe), then count the number of "highest" values are in each
> column.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this?
>
> Thank You,
> Michael

0
rondebruin (3789)
6/1/2005 3:09:19 PM
I would use the MAX function to determine the highest value in eac
column for example to find the highest value in column A insert a ro
at row 1 and inter this function =Max(A2:A1000).

Use the conditional formatting too to identify the location of the ma
value by selecting the entire column, select format on the toolbar
then conditional formatting then choose under condition 1 cell value
equal to - then enter "=A1" in the value field and choose the format t
differentiate the max value from the rest of the field.

To count the number of occurences of that max value, use the counti
function.

Barrfl

--
barrfl

Excel User - Energy market
barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=414
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37565

How can I count how many of the highest values are in each column. Example:
Rows = Hours, Columns = Days. I need to find out which of the hours in each
day is the highests number. Next I need to count how many days have the
same hour as its highest number.

          1:00    2:00    3:00    4:00
Monday    12      13      14      15
Tuesday   16      18      25      10
Wednes.   20      14      40      30

Total:    1       1       2       0 <- this is the output im looking for
0
forum (466)
6/1/2005 3:28:12 PM
First part works great, is there a way to do a fill so that I don't have to
do it for every line? How do you I use the countif statement to count the
number of bolded numbers in each column?

Thank you everyone for the help!

Michael

forum (466)
6/1/2005 5:25:39 PM
See the second formula that I posted
=COUNTIF(A1:A20,MAX(A1:A20))

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Michael via OfficeKB.com" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:10be3163b326423c842d14f7d26e7138@OfficeKB.com...
> How can I count how many of the highest values are in each column. Example:
> Rows = Hours, Columns = Days. I need to find out which of the hours in each
> day is the highests number. Next I need to count how many days have the
> same hour as its highest number.
>
>          1:00    2:00    3:00    4:00
> Monday    12      13      14      15
> Tuesday   16      18      25      10
> Wednes.   20      14      40      30
>
> Total:    1       1       2       0 <- this is the output im looking for

0
rondebruin (3789)
6/1/2005 6:00:50 PM
Is there a way in which you can make Excel mark the higest number in a row or
column?

Example:

    A    B    C
1  1    3    2

In this example, I would like the cell B3 (or the text in the cell)
automatically highlighted, as it being the higest value of the three cells
A1:C1

Is this possible?

Thank you for any answers!
Thomas Bentsen

"Ron de Bruin" skrev:

> Hi Michael
>
> You can use this to get the value
>
> =MAX(A1:A20)
>
> and this to count
>
> =COUNTIF(A1:A20,MAX(A1:A20))
>
> --
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl
>

> "Michael via OfficeKB.com" <forum@nospam.OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:152907df2ac24b6ab6ee8d51d46958d9@OfficeKB.com...
> >I have a lot of spreadsheets with many rows and columns of numbers. I need
> > a way to find the highest value in each row, (mark it some how, bold the
> > number maybe), then count the number of "highest" values are in each
> > column.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to do this?
> >
> > Thank You,
> > Michael

0
Tbentsen (3)
8/4/2005 8:40:02 PM
Check out Conditional Formatting in XL Help. One way:

Select A1:C1. Choose Format/Conditional Formatting. Set the dropdowns
and textbox to read

CF1:            Formula is   =A1=MAX($A$1:$C$1)
Format1:    Patterns/<highlight color>

In article <D7959FED-DE63-4CFA-9649-07AB6AC0B481@microsoft.com>,
 "Tbentsen" <Tbentsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Is there a way in which you can make Excel mark the higest number in a row or
> column?
>
> Example:
>
>     A    B    C
> 1  1    3    2
>
> In this example, I would like the cell B3 (or the text in the cell)
> automatically highlighted, as it being the higest value of the three cells
> A1:C1
>
> Is this possible?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Using form to enter "query criteria" (between values)
Good morning everyone, I want to create a form with two boxes, where first box is lower limit of the value and the second upper limit. This values should be used in my query as filter criteria. Like this (query filter criteria): > "textbox1" AND < "textbox2" Does anyone know how I can build this in a form (i.e. connect my textboxes and query criteria)? Kindly, Mikael Sweden By thinking about for another minute I found the (simple) answer. In the query criteria I put the following expression: BETWEEN [forms].[nameofform].[NameofDatefield1] AND [forms].[name...

Pivot table and counting.

Cycle Counting

Excluding Rows During Printout
Hi, Is there a way to automatically exclude rows when printing an Excel sheet? I have a list of items (in two colums) in a work sheet similar to this: Task Time ----------- ------- Task A: 1 Task B: 0 Task C: 2 Task D: 0 Task E: 0 Task F: 0 Task G: 4 Task H: 1 When I print the worksheet I only want to print lines where the time cell is not zero. So the printout from the previous data would look like this: Task Time ----------- ------- Task A: 1 Task C: 2 Task G: 4 Task H: 1 Is there a...

Count

Summary in the last row
Hi, I'm need to make a vba macro where the macro automaticly shall find the last row and make a summary of the total column D. I cant get It right, can someone please help? So far I only has typed following. Dim lngLastRow As Long lngLastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row Range("D" & lngLastRow + 1) = _ -- Best regards Mia Sub slr() dim mc as long Dim lr As Long mc = 4 'col D lr = Cells(Rows.Count, mc).End(xlUp).Row Cells(lr + 1, mc) = _ Application.Sum(Range(Cells(1, mc), Cells(lr, mc))) End Sub -- Don Guill...

Newbie question / plug in a value for a cell based on a range for that value
Hey guys, New to Excel so sorry if this explanation isn't the clearest in terms of correct terminology. In one section of my spreadsheet I have a list of percentage values associated with numbers 1-20. For example #10 is listed with the percentage value of 38.4% in the cell next to it (O14 and P14). In another section of the spreadsheet I have a quick formula that I'd like to use these %'s based on what number (1-20) is entered. In my spreadsheet the % I want to use for this #10 is listed in P14 (38.4%). What can I plug into my formula so when I enter "10" is kno...

getting rid of zero values in a column
i have a set of data on a column that i`ll use to plot on a graph and find a trendline for its behaviour...problem is: there is zero values in some cells that were not calculated... i want to copy this data in a new column getting rid of cells with zero value because it results in a wrong trendline...how can i do this?please help this is an example of what i mean: 1 1 3 3 4 4 0 6 6 3 3 1 0 0 0 1 One of the simpler ways is to hide the rows for the cells that have zeros and then plot the graph. "kafoury123" wrote: > i have a set of data on a ...

Read values from excel rows
hi I am trying to read the values from a excel row. There are 89 columns for each row and same number of data in each rows. Kindly help regards shantanu shantanu, You need to explain how/where you want to read them.... From another workbook, another worksheet, a VBA function, a macro, a C# application? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "shantanu" <shantanusenin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184298794.259390.216180@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > hi > I am trying to read the values from a excel row. There are 89 > columns for each row and same number of da...

Multiply all query by same value

Line count

Makeing a row to be invisible.
Hi, Without using VBA, how can I make a row of cells to be invisible base on value of another cell. for example: make a row to be invisible (by setting row's text color same as background color) if another cell's value is equal to zero. Thanks in advance. Select row to hide. Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is: =$A$2=0 Format>Font>Color.......white OK your way out. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:21:33 -0800, "A-Design" <afshinstock@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Without using VBA, how can I make a row of cells to be ...

Counting sales

double-click in between two rows or two columns
How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions when I double-click in between two rows or two column ? Thanks Hi This is a feature of Excel! When you double click the border of the selected cell, the cursor will go to the edge of the contiguous data on the sheet. It's very useful for jumping to the start/end of data. I don't know of a way to disable it. -- Andy. "Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bf5d01c4382c$a19b1bf0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions > when I double-c...

trying to create an insert row macro
hey guys, I'm trying to create a macro to streamline a process for one of our factory guys. Right now, I'm going down and manually inserting rows into a database and then dragging the needed formulas and information from the rows above down. What I'm trying to do is make it so he can place his cursor, hit the macro key stroke and have that done for him. When I record the macro, I think I am making an absolute cell reference, because when I run the macro it will only instert where I initially inserted the row. How do I create the macro so he can select where he wants it ...

select query of parent and child in one row
I have a parent table and a child table one parent has between 1 and 6 children in the child table I wont a query to have the parent and the child in one "row" how do I create that? thanks for helping me Your table structure is not correct for a relational database but this will get you there. This has three but you get the idea and expand on it. Place the table in the design grid as many times as you have field to combine. SELECT MultipleFieldData.x, MultipleFieldData.a & IIf(MultipleFieldData_1.b Is Null,Null," " & MultipleFieldData_1.b) & IIf(MultipleF...

From Rows to Columun #3
I have data in rows, I want to past to columns so i can import intio access... HELP Example (Current data) 3 42 42 3 38 38 4 22 I want to move to 3 42 42 3 38 38 4 22 THANKS ...

How to retrieve value from specific cell value?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell value with specific worksheet? I would like to create a if-statement within macro, If specific cell within specific worksheet = 1 then process following code End If Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi If Sheets("sheet1").Range("A1") = 1 Then MsgBox "run code" Else MsgBox "skip code" End If regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell &...

Value Axis Scale Change Problem #2
Thanks Jon - problem solved -- dp_fulche ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dp_fulcher's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=969 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27033 ...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...

Counting a count
How do I count a count?? This is what im trying to do: I have a database with a table named tblMain and has incorporated everything within that table but contains info from about 8 other tables. I have not doesigned this database and it appears to have a very poor structure...anyway There are three fields involved in this process...'Request' (either 'dispensation', 'waiver' or 'dispensation and waiver'), 'Department' (which consists of 7 other drop down menu options) and 'RequestStatus' which contains the status of each request by another...