Is there a way to look at a row of data that is either highlighted yellow or
red and to count only the data that is highlighted yellow and give me that
number?

None of my data is numerical....just one letter data, i.e.:   "S" or "U"

I just want to count how many of the cells are highlighted yellow in a
specific row, if that makes more sense.
-1
JasonC (10)

Here's a UDF (Put in a Standard module)

and use it in cell A1, like     =CountByColor(A8:H8,6)  << where 6 (at
present) = Yellow  = change to   =CountByColor(A8:H8,3)   to get the reds
HTH

Function CountByColor(InRange As Range, WhatColorIndex As Integer) As Long
'
Dim c As Range
CountByColor = 0
Application.Volatile True
For Each c In InRange.Cells
    If c.Interior.ColorIndex = WhatColorIndex Then
        TCount = TCount + 1
    End If
Next c
CountByColor = TCount
End Function

"JasonC" wrote:

> Is there a way to look at a row of data that is either highlighted yellow or
> red and to count only the data that is highlighted yellow and give me that
> number?
>
> None of my data is numerical....just one letter data, i.e.:   "S" or "U"
>
> I just want to count how many of the cells are highlighted yellow in a
> specific row, if that makes more sense.
-2
JimMay (35)
12/29/2005 5:40:03 PM
Jim,

I can't seem to get it to work. I have the file with me. Could I send it to
you and you set it up for me?

JasonC
jcurts@carolina.rr.com

Thanks,

JasonC

"Jim May" wrote:

> Here's a UDF (Put in a Standard module)
>
> and use it in cell A1, like     =CountByColor(A8:H8,6)  << where 6 (at
> present) = Yellow  = change to   =CountByColor(A8:H8,3)   to get the reds
> HTH
>

> Function CountByColor(InRange As Range, WhatColorIndex As Integer) As Long
> '
> Dim c As Range
> CountByColor = 0
> Application.Volatile True
> For Each c In InRange.Cells
>     If c.Interior.ColorIndex = WhatColorIndex Then
>         TCount = TCount + 1
>     End If
> Next c
> CountByColor = TCount
> End Function
>
> "JasonC" wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to look at a row of data that is either highlighted yellow or
> > red and to count only the data that is highlighted yellow and give me that
> > number?
> >
> > None of my data is numerical....just one letter data, i.e.:   "S" or "U"
> >
> > I just want to count how many of the cells are highlighted yellow in a
> > specific row, if that makes more sense.
0
JasonC (10)
12/29/2005 6:33:01 PM
Jason:

I just noticed that my solution is not based on the use of conditional
formatting,
but rather based on your manually painting the cells.  I now realize that
you are
using CF to get the colors red or yellow.  Can you provide me a sample of your
conditional formatting settings?  Meanwhile I'll see if I can correct and
resubmit
what you want.
Jim

"JasonC" wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I can't seem to get it to work. I have the file with me. Could I send it to
> you and you set it up for me?
>
> JasonC
> jcurts@carolina.rr.com
>
> Thanks,
>
> JasonC
>
> "Jim May" wrote:
>
> > Here's a UDF (Put in a Standard module)
> >
> > and use it in cell A1, like     =CountByColor(A8:H8,6)  << where 6 (at
> > present) = Yellow  = change to   =CountByColor(A8:H8,3)   to get the reds
> > HTH
> >

> > Function CountByColor(InRange As Range, WhatColorIndex As Integer) As Long
> > '
> > Dim c As Range
> > CountByColor = 0
> > Application.Volatile True
> > For Each c In InRange.Cells
> >     If c.Interior.ColorIndex = WhatColorIndex Then
> >         TCount = TCount + 1
> >     End If
> > Next c
> > CountByColor = TCount
> > End Function
> >
> > "JasonC" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to look at a row of data that is either highlighted yellow or
> > > red and to count only the data that is highlighted yellow and give me that
> > > number?
> > >
> > > None of my data is numerical....just one letter data, i.e.:   "S" or "U"
> > >
> > > I just want to count how many of the cells are highlighted yellow in a
> > > specific row, if that makes more sense.
1
JimMay (35)
12/29/2005 7:11:02 PM
My Conditional Formatting goes like this:

Condition 1:
Cell Value is Equal to: =B$36
Format with Yellow Cell Shading

Condition 2:
Cell Value is - Not Equal to: =B$36
Format with Red Cell Shading

"Jim May" wrote:

> Jason:
>
> I just noticed that my solution is not based on the use of conditional
> formatting,
> but rather based on your manually painting the cells.  I now realize that
> you are
> using CF to get the colors red or yellow.  Can you provide me a sample of your
> conditional formatting settings?  Meanwhile I'll see if I can correct and
> resubmit
> what you want.
> Jim
>
> "JasonC" wrote:
>
> > Jim,
> >
> > I can't seem to get it to work. I have the file with me. Could I send it to
> > you and you set it up for me?
> >
> > JasonC
> > jcurts@carolina.rr.com
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > JasonC
> >
> > "Jim May" wrote:
> >
> > > Here's a UDF (Put in a Standard module)
> > >
> > > and use it in cell A1, like     =CountByColor(A8:H8,6)  << where 6 (at
> > > present) = Yellow  = change to   =CountByColor(A8:H8,3)   to get the reds
> > > HTH
> > >

> > > Function CountByColor(InRange As Range, WhatColorIndex As Integer) As Long
> > > '
> > > Dim c As Range
> > > CountByColor = 0
> > > Application.Volatile True
> > > For Each c In InRange.Cells
> > >     If c.Interior.ColorIndex = WhatColorIndex Then
> > >         TCount = TCount + 1
> > >     End If
> > > Next c
> > > CountByColor = TCount

0
JasonC (10)
12/29/2005 7:22:03 PM
Jason:
Here's your topic - goto:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm
Good luck!!
and Happy 2006!!
Jim

"JasonC" wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I can't seem to get it to work. I have the file with me. Could I send it to
> you and you set it up for me?
>
> JasonC
> jcurts@carolina.rr.com
>
> Thanks,
>
> JasonC
>
> "Jim May" wrote:
>
> > Here's a UDF (Put in a Standard module)
> >
> > and use it in cell A1, like     =CountByColor(A8:H8,6)  << where 6 (at
> > present) = Yellow  = change to   =CountByColor(A8:H8,3)   to get the reds
> > HTH
> >

> > Function CountByColor(InRange As Range, WhatColorIndex As Integer) As Long
> > '
> > Dim c As Range
> > CountByColor = 0
> > Application.Volatile True
> > For Each c In InRange.Cells
> >     If c.Interior.ColorIndex = WhatColorIndex Then
> >         TCount = TCount + 1
> >     End If
> > Next c
> > CountByColor = TCount
> > End Function
> >
> > "JasonC" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to look at a row of data that is either highlighted yellow or
> > > red and to count only the data that is highlighted yellow and give me that
> > > number?
> > >
> > > None of my data is numerical....just one letter data, i.e.:   "S" or "U"
> > >
> > > I just want to count how many of the cells are highlighted yellow in a
> > > specific row, if that makes more sense.
0
JimMay (35)
12/29/2005 7:43:02 PM
One way of turning conditional formatting into regular formatting
is to copy your data array to Word, and then bring it back to Excel.

Another, harder way is to make a copy to another location in your
workbook,
write your conditional formulas as number generating formulas and
Find (number), Replace (format) and
Copy, Paste Special, Format to the original array.

Summing 2 columns cells into a 3rd colums cells
In Excel 2007, I need the to add data from column L's cells 2-93 with the data from column M's cells 2-93 and have it total in Column N's cells 2-93. I'm hoping that there is an easier way than auto summing each pair of cells. This example is the smallest range that I have to due this with and auto summing is to time consuming. Please if you have a formula that I can use it would be extremly helpful. Just in case you haven't notice I'm still in the learning stages.................. -- Thank You, Wayne Cadigan Hi Wayne You can still do this ...

Autofit Merged Cells? Can we do this?
I have a row that has merged column cells. Even if I choose autofit, it will not autofit. Is tehre a way to do this? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you search the group archives: http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel* using "merge autofit" (without quotes) as search terms, you'll find many posts on this topic, including links to a macro by Jim Rech that may work for you. In article <kenji4861.vwe00@excelf...

Excel-how (find/replace) for multifmat cells w/o changing fmat
For a client, i need to be able to find and replace words in cells with 2 formats. But when you replace them,it changes the format of the whole cell, and not just what you changed. Is there any way to work around this without changing the format after all of the find and replaces? Saved from a previous post, but this one has some wordwrap problems fixed: I think you'd have to keep track of each character's font attributes. This works very slowly, but works: Option Explicit Option Compare Text Type myCharacter myChar As String myLen As Long myName As String myFo...

Pivot table and counting.

Cell formating in Excel?
Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? No. -- Best Regards, Luke M "pmarina" <pmarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D25B665-B7B8-477D-AAF8-80A347FFA0DD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? ...

format question when open csv file
I receive a csv file that I open in excel. The first field in this file is a nine alphanumeric character. When I open the file excel formats that field in how it sees fit. Example 1157687E6 would display in scientific notation. I make a quick update to the file and resave as .csv file. The csv file resaves that field as the scientific notation, so the people I pass this file to have problems with it. Is there a way to open a csv file in excel where excel does not reformat the field or give me an option to not reformat. >> Is there a way to open a csv file in excel where exc...

Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) error
What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the error? Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) Thanks Daniel Hi Daniel, Too much missing information - has r been declared and what data type is it and what value does it have. What property of the range are you trying to store in the variable RN? What type of variable is RN and has it been declared. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Daniel" wrote: > What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the > error? > > Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) > &...

Cycle Counting

To keep in just one cell all values related to a monthly rate
I have to update in a monthly basis a currency rate. I know that there is a function, formula (or something like that) to link a month descripton to a number. e.g. September09 1,325 October09 2,235 November09 1,258 I would like to select correspondent month and the cell be updated with the value. Data Validation dropdown list for choosing the month combined with a lookup table and VLOOKUP function. For help on creating data validation dropdown lists see Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal01.html For help on VLOOKUP to populat...

Can I limit a cell to 2 characters?
Is there a way in Excel to limit the number of characters in a cell? Thanks Frank By checking the length of the cell =LEN(A1)=2 in your custom validation. Look for Data Validation on Debra Dalgleish's site. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Frankc" <Frankc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:842747F1-1792-4BB5-B3CE-707C7CC5F88F@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Excel to lim...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

Copying Border Formatting
Hi folks, I have a large spreadsheet which is essentially a diary. I want to format the days and weeks, with thin and thick borders to distinguish between them. The spreadsheet already has lots of varied fill formatting for meetings that are held. I can't see a way of either format painting, or paste special-ing, just borders. Is it possible? Thanks -- StainlessSteelRat http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net Stanley: It's not gonna end like this. Gabriel: Oh, come on, Stan. Not everything ends the way you think it should. Besides, audiences love happy endings. True enough that...

Count

change highlight color on active cells
How do I change the active highlight color of an active cell. Louis Only though VBA. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static OldCell As Range If Not OldCell Is Nothing Then OldCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone End If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow Set OldCell = Target End Sub This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy and paste into that module. Chip Pearson has a great add-in named Rowliner.xla that will make the highlighting available for all sheets and workbooks. The code above w...

Line count

Formatting cells in Excel with Ascending/Descending order
I am trying to insert a drop down asceding/descending arrow in the cell of the excel document. When you click on the arrow which is a small box on the right side of the cell, it will organize all figures/data in that column and you can choose between ascending/descending, or how you want to organize it. Thank you -- Andrew ...

Filename in Excel Cell Address
Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within the same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? -- Thanks, RickS yes =CELL("filename") -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "RickS" <RickS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A801EEC7-608B-4394-B991-BBBC889D451A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within > the > same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? > -- > Thanks, > Ric...

updating time once only when a cell is filled
Hi, Excuse my lack of experience with excel, I tried to get an answer googling for this problem I have, but I didn't succeed yet solving it. I'm trying to fill a form using excel, but I want that whenever a cell is filled, the time it was filled is updated. The problem I find is that time is updated in all the cells whenever a cell is change, do I make myself clear?, imagine I have these table: A B 1 +if(a1="","",now()) 2 +if(a2="","",now()) So initially I have: A B 1 2...

Cell extraction from Multiple worksheets
Hi group, I am new to this newsgroup and am hoping that you can help me out. I took a software/hardware inventory of all the computers in my work's network and imported them all into excel, in their own worksheet. So I have one file, with 128 different worksheets, all containing similar information. What I would like to do is create a new sheet, a summary page, where I can pull the value of the same cell from each sheet and list them. I need to have a list of each computer, with computer name, cpu speed, video card, serial number, ect. If the values that I am searching for are in the same...

Counting sales

How to retrieve value from specific cell value?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell value with specific worksheet? I would like to create a if-statement within macro, If specific cell within specific worksheet = 1 then process following code End If Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi If Sheets("sheet1").Range("A1") = 1 Then MsgBox "run code" Else MsgBox "skip code" End If regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell &...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...