counting a range that has only general format

I'm attempting to count cells in a range that have a general format.  Need
help with countif.
--
1 putt

Hi,

AFAIK that can't be done with countif. How about a UDF.

Alt +F11 to open VB editor. Right click 'ThisWorkbook' and insert module and
paste the code beolw in

call with

=CountGeneral(A!:A10)

Function CountGeneral(rng As Range) As Long
For Each c In rng
    If c.NumberFormat = "General" Then
    CountGeneral = CountGeneral + 1
    End If
Next
End Function
--
Mike

question.

"E" wrote:

> I'm attempting to count cells in a range that have a general format.  Need
> help with countif.
> --
> 1 putt

Cell formating in Excel?
Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? No. -- Best Regards, Luke M "pmarina" <pmarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D25B665-B7B8-477D-AAF8-80A347FFA0DD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? ...

Pivot table and counting.

Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) error
What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the error? Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) Thanks Daniel Hi Daniel, Too much missing information - has r been declared and what data type is it and what value does it have. What property of the range are you trying to store in the variable RN? What type of variable is RN and has it been declared. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Daniel" wrote: > What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the > error? > > Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) > &...

format question when open csv file
I receive a csv file that I open in excel. The first field in this file is a nine alphanumeric character. When I open the file excel formats that field in how it sees fit. Example 1157687E6 would display in scientific notation. I make a quick update to the file and resave as .csv file. The csv file resaves that field as the scientific notation, so the people I pass this file to have problems with it. Is there a way to open a csv file in excel where excel does not reformat the field or give me an option to not reformat. >> Is there a way to open a csv file in excel where exc...

Cycle Counting

how to make cells automatically format to entered text size?
hello, i am new to excel and i would like to have it resize the cells automatically to the size of the text i entered. i know if i click on a cell and do format - line break it does it for one cell. but how can i have excel do this automatically for every cell in every workbook? thanks Frank Barenhorst email: frank.barenhorst@mailshelter.de Frank Hit CRTL + A to select all cells. Format>Alignment>Wrap Text. To make this the default for all new workbooks and sheets.... Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. File>Save As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and...

Formatting Excel
I have a table in excel, all of the information in this table is linked to AutoCAD. I have added an example below: Example 1 NO. NAME BOTTOM BOTTOM TOP TOP MAT FIN MAT FIN 101 CORRIDOR PLASTIC SMOOTH RUBBER SMOOTH 102 CORRIDOR PLASTIC SMOOTH RUBBER SMOOTH I am trying to get Example 1 to look like Example 2 without having to re-enter everything. It is the same info. but a different layout. I tried a Pivot Table but was not successful. Does anyone have any ideas? Example 2 NO. NAME BOTTOM TOP 10...

Rank range changes
Received help a couple months ago. Lost my notes. How do I use $ to help speed changing ranges when using the RANK function? Skip Skip wrote: > Received help a couple months ago. > Lost my notes. > How do I use $ to help speed changing ranges when > using the RANK function? > Skip Looks like this was answered yesterday in another group. Please don't multipost. Thanks! http://preview.tinyurl.com/5olnw2 ...

Linking a defined range to a picture in PowerPoint
Hi, I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping SOMEBODY has the answer.... I need to create a power point presentation that links to an excel workbook. The reason I need to link it is because the numbers will change monthly, and the presentation is distributed monthly. So, I need to create a presentation that will: 1) have excel worksheets in it that link to defined ranges in a workbook. 2) HOPEFULLY have the Pow.Pt. worksheet appear as a bitmap (if not thats ok) 3) allow the Pow.Pt. SS (or the picture) to link to the SS so that the image will change every month. I know it'...

Count

Copying Border Formatting
Hi folks, I have a large spreadsheet which is essentially a diary. I want to format the days and weeks, with thin and thick borders to distinguish between them. The spreadsheet already has lots of varied fill formatting for meetings that are held. I can't see a way of either format painting, or paste special-ing, just borders. Is it possible? Thanks -- StainlessSteelRat http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net Stanley: It's not gonna end like this. Gabriel: Oh, come on, Stan. Not everything ends the way you think it should. Besides, audiences love happy endings. True enough that...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

Formatting cells in Excel with Ascending/Descending order
I am trying to insert a drop down asceding/descending arrow in the cell of the excel document. When you click on the arrow which is a small box on the right side of the cell, it will organize all figures/data in that column and you can choose between ascending/descending, or how you want to organize it. Thank you -- Andrew ...

Line count

Counting sales

subscript out of range error
My program went down with on error in the code. I fixed that error an tried to re-run it. When I go to re-run the program I get a subscrip out of range error when I try to open a worksheet that I know exists. If I close the workbook and re-open it the subscript out of range erro doesn't show up. Below is the code. With Worksheets("ListBox Data").Range("A2") workbook_row_cnt = Range(.Offset(0, 0) .End(xlDown)).Rows.Count For i = 0 To workbook_row_cnt - 1 If .Offset(i, 0) <> "" Then sales_group_cnt = sales_group_cnt + 1 End If Next i End With ...

Date range for a report
Hi I am trying to run a query and can't seem to nail down the right code. We use the access database to track files, incoming/outgoing correspondence dates etc. I am trying to run a query that show me files with dates in a follow up field of -60 days to +7 days, so essentially any follow ups missed in the last 2 months and up coming in the next week. This report is run on a weekly basis. Appreciate any help Thanks Assuming that the follow up field is actually a date/time data type, try this in the criteria: Between Date() - 60 and Date() + 7 -- Jerry Whittle, ...

Front End and Back End General Questions
I have just finished splitting all of the Access databases I am now in charge of on our network to Front and Back End. Before I came along, the main two databases where this way already. But I am a bit confused. The Front Ends of these two databases were still on a network drive. When someone accessed the Front End, they did it via ashort cut on their desktop that points to the FE. So everyone points to that same front end. But doesn't this kind of defeat part of the purpose of a front end? Shouldn't the front end reside independantly on whoever's desktop that needs i...

Completion Percentage of a date range
I have started a task sheet in excel and i have a "task description" coloumn, a "start date", "finish date", "number of days" and a "% complete" column. What i want to achieve is the user to enter the first task start date and the number of days it will take to complete. Then excel will work out the end date and the percent complete field relating to the current date. Is there a easy formula of working out the percentage? Many thanks Hi Brian, I think this is right? Assume Column A is Task, B is Start Date, C is No. of Days, D is End ...

Auto date range updating in Charts
I would like to know how to write a formula that can be typed into an excel chart's category labels box and series values boxes to search for and update ranges to a specific range, such as one year's worth of row entries. In this way, each time a new date and set of entries are made into the spreadsheet, the accompanying chart would update to the new range (last date). I have tried using named formulas to accomplish this, but I have so many spreadsheet in the workbook, that this becomes unwieldy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Hi Dave, > I have t...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...