Count No. of times Dates are repeated

Hi,

I have a database where in dates are repeated in column D and names in
column I.
I want a formula in a different worksheet of the same file wherein I get the
count of dates column along with the individual name.
The intention is to get number of days each individual is present. The same
dates could be repeated any number of times for the same individual.

Example for the month of Dec. 2005
Dates   Names
20       AD
15       BC
08       GH........etc

Cheers,
Mandeep Dhami

Have you considered a Pivot Table?

Data>Pivot Table
Use Excel
Select your data
Click the [Layout] button

ROW: Drag the Names field here
DATA: Drag the Dates field here
If it doesn't list as Count of Dates...dbl-click it and set it to Count
Click [OK]
Select where you want the Pivot Table...and you're done!

That will list each name and the count of dates.

To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data.

Something you can use?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Mandeep Dhami" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a database where in dates are repeated in column D and names in
> column I.
> I want a formula in a different worksheet of the same file wherein I get the
> count of dates column along with the individual name.
> The intention is to get number of days each individual is present. The same
> dates could be repeated any number of times for the same individual.
>
> Example for the month of Dec. 2005
> Dates   Names
> 20       AD
> 15       BC
> 08       GH........etc
>
> Cheers,
> Mandeep Dhami

Thanks Ron.
I tried as instructed but sorry to say it is not working as I wanted.
The result is that, I am getting total number of times the dates are entered
against each names, where as I want that each new date should be counted only
once, i.e., if a person "A" is present for 10 days in a month, I should get
count 10 against his name no matter how many times he may have entered same
date against his name.
Hope I am able to convey what I require.

Cheers,
Mandeep Dhami

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

> Have you considered a Pivot Table?
>
> Data>Pivot Table
> Use Excel
> Select your data
> Click the [Layout] button
>
> ROW: Drag the Names field here
> DATA: Drag the Dates field here
> If it doesn't list as Count of Dates...dbl-click it and set it to Count
> Click [OK]
> Select where you want the Pivot Table...and you're done!
>
> That will list each name and the count of dates.
>
> To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data.
>
> Something you can use?
>
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>

> "Mandeep Dhami" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a database where in dates are repeated in column D and names in
> > column I.
> > I want a formula in a different worksheet of the same file wherein I get the
> > count of dates column along with the individual name.
> > The intention is to get number of days each individual is present. The same
> > dates could be repeated any number of times for the same individual.
> >
> > Example for the month of Dec. 2005
> > Dates   Names
> > 20       AD
> > 15       BC
> > 08       GH........etc
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mandeep Dhami

Are you looking for how many times a name appears in the list?  If yes, just
drag Count of Dates out of the DATA area and replace it with Count of Names.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Mandeep Dhami" wrote:

> Thanks Ron.
> I tried as instructed but sorry to say it is not working as I wanted.
> The result is that, I am getting total number of times the dates are entered
> against each names, where as I want that each new date should be counted only
> once, i.e., if a person "A" is present for 10 days in a month, I should get
> count 10 against his name no matter how many times he may have entered same
> date against his name.
> Hope I am able to convey what I require.
>
> Cheers,
> Mandeep Dhami
>

> "Ron Coderre" wrote:
>
> > Have you considered a Pivot Table?
> >
> > Data>Pivot Table
> > Use Excel
> > Select your data
> > Click the [Layout] button
> >
> > ROW: Drag the Names field here
> > DATA: Drag the Dates field here
> > If it doesn't list as Count of Dates...dbl-click it and set it to Count
> > Click [OK]
> > Select where you want the Pivot Table...and you're done!
> >
> > That will list each name and the count of dates.
> >
> > To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data.
> >
> > Something you can use?
> >
> > ***********
> > Regards,
> > Ron
> >

> > "Mandeep Dhami" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a database where in dates are repeated in column D and names in
> > > column I.
> > > I want a formula in a different worksheet of the same file wherein I get the
> > > count of dates column along with the individual name.
> > > The intention is to get number of days each individual is present. The same
> > > dates could be repeated any number of times for the same individual.
> > >
> > > Example for the month of Dec. 2005
> > > Dates   Names
> > > 20       AD
> > > 15       BC
> > > 08       GH........etc
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mandeep Dhami

Ron,

I am looking at how many times the date is repeated against each name.
For Example:
Date             Name
1-Dec-05      A
1-Dec-05      A
1-Dec-05      B
2-Dec-05      A
2-Dec-05      B
2-Dec-05      B
2-Dec-05      B
3-Dec-05      A
3-Dec-05      A
4-Dec-05      A

So here on 1-Dec-05 "A" appears twice and "B" once, similarly on 2-Dec-05
"A" appears once and "B" 3 times.

This should show as:
Date         Name             Frequency
1-Dec-05  A                    2
               B                    1
2-Dec-05  A                    1
               B                    3
Cheers,
Mandeep

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

> Are you looking for how many times a name appears in the list?  If yes, just
> drag Count of Dates out of the DATA area and replace it with Count of Names.
>
> Does that help?
>
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>

> "Mandeep Dhami" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Ron.
> > I tried as instructed but sorry to say it is not working as I wanted.
> > The result is that, I am getting total number of times the dates are entered
> > against each names, where as I want that each new date should be counted only
> > once, i.e., if a person "A" is present for 10 days in a month, I should get
> > count 10 against his name no matter how many times he may have entered same
> > date against his name.
> > Hope I am able to convey what I require.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mandeep Dhami
> >

> > "Ron Coderre" wrote:
> >
> > > Have you considered a Pivot Table?
> > >
> > > Data>Pivot Table
> > > Use Excel
> > > Select your data
> > > Click the [Layout] button
> > >
> > > ROW: Drag the Names field here
> > > DATA: Drag the Dates field here
> > > If it doesn't list as Count of Dates...dbl-click it and set it to Count
> > > Click [OK]
> > > Select where you want the Pivot Table...and you're done!
> > >
> > > That will list each name and the count of dates.
> > >
> > > To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data.
> > >
> > > Something you can use?
> > >
> > > ***********
> > > Regards,
> > > Ron

OK...I think I (finally) understand. Try this with your Pivot Table:
First clear off all fields...then:
ROW:
Drag Date field first
Dbl-Click and set Subtotals to None

Drag Names Field second
Dbl-Click and set Subtotals to None

DATA: Count of Date

Then....once you see the Pivot Table right click on it and:
uncheck Grand totals for Rows
uncheck Grand totals for Columns
Click [OK]

Did I get it right this time?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Mandeep Dhami" wrote:

> Ron,
>
> I am looking at how many times the date is repeated against each name.
> For Example:
> Date             Name
> 1-Dec-05      A
> 1-Dec-05      A
> 1-Dec-05      B
> 2-Dec-05      A
> 2-Dec-05      B
> 2-Dec-05      B
> 2-Dec-05      B
> 3-Dec-05      A
> 3-Dec-05      A
> 4-Dec-05      A
>
> So here on 1-Dec-05 "A" appears twice and "B" once, similarly on 2-Dec-05
> "A" appears once and "B" 3 times.
>
> This should show as:
> Date         Name             Frequency
> 1-Dec-05  A                    2
>                B                    1
> 2-Dec-05  A                    1
>                B                    3
> Cheers,
> Mandeep
>

> "Ron Coderre" wrote:
>
> > Are you looking for how many times a name appears in the list?  If yes, just
> > drag Count of Dates out of the DATA area and replace it with Count of Names.
> >
> > Does that help?
> >
> > ***********
> > Regards,
> > Ron
> >

> > "Mandeep Dhami" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Ron.
> > > I tried as instructed but sorry to say it is not working as I wanted.
> > > The result is that, I am getting total number of times the dates are entered
> > > against each names, where as I want that each new date should be counted only
> > > once, i.e., if a person "A" is present for 10 days in a month, I should get
> > > count 10 against his name no matter how many times he may have entered same
> > > date against his name.
> > > Hope I am able to convey what I require.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mandeep Dhami

Thanks Ron,
Yes you have got it right this time.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

> OK...I think I (finally) understand. Try this with your Pivot Table:
> First clear off all fields...then:
> ROW:
> Drag Date field first
> Dbl-Click and set Subtotals to None
>
> Drag Names Field second
> Dbl-Click and set Subtotals to None
>
> DATA: Count of Date
>
> Then....once you see the Pivot Table right click on it and:
> uncheck Grand totals for Rows
> uncheck Grand totals for Columns
> Click [OK]
>
> Did I get it right this time?
>
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>

> "Mandeep Dhami" wrote:
>
> > Ron,
> >
> > I am looking at how many times the date is repeated against each name.
> > For Example:
> > Date             Name
> > 1-Dec-05      A
> > 1-Dec-05      A
> > 1-Dec-05      B
> > 2-Dec-05      A
> > 2-Dec-05      B
> > 2-Dec-05      B
> > 2-Dec-05      B
> > 3-Dec-05      A
> > 3-Dec-05      A
> > 4-Dec-05      A
> >
> > So here on 1-Dec-05 "A" appears twice and "B" once, similarly on 2-Dec-05
> > "A" appears once and "B" 3 times.
> >
> > This should show as:
> > Date         Name             Frequency
> > 1-Dec-05  A                    2
> >                B                    1
> > 2-Dec-05  A                    1
> >                B                    3
> > Cheers,
> > Mandeep
> >

> > "Ron Coderre" wrote:
> >
> > > Are you looking for how many times a name appears in the list?  If yes, just
> > > drag Count of Dates out of the DATA area and replace it with Count of Names.
> > >
> > > Does that help?
> > >
> > > ***********
> > > Regards,
> > > Ron

Get run time from date time stamps
I need to get run time in minutes from between a series of date/time stamps. I have no clue of how to do this.. any help would be greatly appreciated On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:18:04 -0700, GWB <GWB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to get run time in minutes from between a series of date/time stamps. >I have no clue of how to do this.. any help would be greatly appreciated Probably by using the DateDiff() function: DateDiff("n", [StartTime], [EndTime]) will calculate the difference in time in miNutes ("m" is Months). It's not cle...

Downloading Bank Transactions Multiple Times (MSM2003)
If you download transactions from your bank (or whatever) multiple times -- say downloading all transactions several times a month -- will Money (2003 in my case) recognize that this has been done and ignore the duplicates, or will it just require matching and/or reconcilliation each time. I'd like to keep my Money records up-to-date (i.e., not wait to the end of the month) without having to keep track of which transactions have or have not been downloaded. Currently, I download to a file all transactions for a given statement cycle each month on or after the statement closing date. This...

Pivot table and counting.

Cycle Counting

Count

Line count

updating time once only when a cell is filled
Hi, Excuse my lack of experience with excel, I tried to get an answer googling for this problem I have, but I didn't succeed yet solving it. I'm trying to fill a form using excel, but I want that whenever a cell is filled, the time it was filled is updated. The problem I find is that time is updated in all the cells whenever a cell is change, do I make myself clear?, imagine I have these table: A B 1 +if(a1="","",now()) 2 +if(a2="","",now()) So initially I have: A B 1 2...

Completion Percentage of a date range
I have started a task sheet in excel and i have a "task description" coloumn, a "start date", "finish date", "number of days" and a "% complete" column. What i want to achieve is the user to enter the first task start date and the number of days it will take to complete. Then excel will work out the end date and the percent complete field relating to the current date. Is there a easy formula of working out the percentage? Many thanks Hi Brian, I think this is right? Assume Column A is Task, B is Start Date, C is No. of Days, D is End ...

Counting sales

Date range for a report
Hi I am trying to run a query and can't seem to nail down the right code. We use the access database to track files, incoming/outgoing correspondence dates etc. I am trying to run a query that show me files with dates in a follow up field of -60 days to +7 days, so essentially any follow ups missed in the last 2 months and up coming in the next week. This report is run on a weekly basis. Appreciate any help Thanks Assuming that the follow up field is actually a date/time data type, try this in the criteria: Between Date() - 60 and Date() + 7 -- Jerry Whittle, ...

Auto date range updating in Charts
I would like to know how to write a formula that can be typed into an excel chart's category labels box and series values boxes to search for and update ranges to a specific range, such as one year's worth of row entries. In this way, each time a new date and set of entries are made into the spreadsheet, the accompanying chart would update to the new range (last date). I have tried using named formulas to accomplish this, but I have so many spreadsheet in the workbook, that this becomes unwieldy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Hi Dave, > I have t...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Prompted to accept terms and cond for every prog every time its op
I run Windows 7 Home Premium and Office 2003 Professional. I have only been up and running for about a week now. Everythinng has worked out fine other than being prompted to accept the terms and conditions for each program in office, every time that they are opened up. Anybody have any ideas? I encountered a similar problem with Vista and Office. Every time one of the office products opened, it went through the reconfiguration process. I know it's not the same as your problem, but the solution might be the same. From this link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forum...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...

Counting a count
How do I count a count?? This is what im trying to do: I have a database with a table named tblMain and has incorporated everything within that table but contains info from about 8 other tables. I have not doesigned this database and it appears to have a very poor structure...anyway There are three fields involved in this process...'Request' (either 'dispensation', 'waiver' or 'dispensation and waiver'), 'Department' (which consists of 7 other drop down menu options) and 'RequestStatus' which contains the status of each request by another...

Count Problem
Hi I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits" All the cells have a formula in them. The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a different worksheet called "Names" ie: =Names!A1 = Names!A2 etc etc I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the sheet called "Audits" At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously...

How do I change . to : when input in a time sheet by error
Have a time sheet, when entering time if I enter it as 09.30 how can I have the system change this automatically to 09:30 when I enter it? Just change the format from hh.mm to hh:mm -- Gary's Student "geordie" wrote: > Have a time sheet, when entering time if I enter it as 09.30 how can I have > the system change this automatically to 09:30 when I enter it? One trick is to use "Auto Correct". For instance, if you're entering timecards on a Monday, with a large number of time entries, you can *temporarily* change the decimal (period) to the colon using...

unique or distinct count from xml
How to get a unique count from a xml <Orders> <Order ID="1111" Amount="200"></Order> <Order ID= "2222" Amount="10"></Order> <Order ID="3333" Amount="5"></Order> <Order ID="1111" Amount="20"></Order> </Orders> The result should be 3 unique count and the 4 Order Id counts. How can i get using XPathNodeIterator using Compile,Execute with a XPathNavigator thanks you bhu The XPath expression for that is count(Orders/Order[not(@ID=preceding-sibling::Or...

list with multiple repeated data
Hi, i have a column with a list of numers and letters, unsorted. the data in this column can be repeated, it goes like this Col1 054T 034K 056L 045L 045N 054T 076H 034K 045L I Need a way that this codes are copied into another column (col2) but only once. if the code is 2 or more times in col1 it should be only once in col2. is there a formula that allows me to do this on the fly wothout recording any macro? the result shoul look like this: Col2 054T 034K 056L 045L 045N 076H all the codes are in col1, but they appear only once in Col2 Sorry to bother. Thanks for all Arturo Data|Fil...

Replace Count
I am using this routine to replace characters in a large text string. I would like to know how many replacements have been made. This is a generalized routine for experimenting. If I set lReplCount = 1, I can get a count but it takes over one minute to run. If I set lReplCount = -1, it takes about 20 mSec but I get no count (except 1). Is there any way to get speed and the replace count? I would be happy with a few seconds and an accurate count. Do If InStr(1, sText, vbCr & vbCr) > 0 Then lChangeCount = lChangeCount + 1 ...

Smart List record count in 10.0 SP2
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone else has seen a situation in the standard smart list for Purchase Line Items returns a different line count in the window than on the bottom of the window in the status bar. For instance, a client requested a search using the view "Today's Expected Receipts", so the window shows 4 rows, but the status bar at the bottom shows 8. The search criteria look to be the same as in my local view. Trying it in my local view, I get the same results for other views under this object, for instance the window shows 13 rows, but the status bar shows ...

Counting text cells #3
I have a range of cells A25:A256 that contain text entries of various types (doesn't matter). How do I get it in cell A258 to give me a total of cells that have text in them within that range 25:256 Thanks, Gurus Jessica =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISTEXT(A25:A256))) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Jessica Walton" <jessica.w@zimshipping.com> wrote in message news:1E804A58-662A-47BA-B264-9EEE8A20994F@microsoft.com... > I have a range of cells A25:A256 that contain text entries of various types (doesn't matter). How do I get it in cell A258 to give me a total of cells that have ...