copying values/text, not formulas

Heya ... I've got a workbook that consists of a "main page" with several
columns of formatted text, and several columns of VLOOKUP'ed text drawn
from several other worksheets in the workbook.  My boss wants only the
main page and not the others (too much space on his HD) ... I've been
trying to use "Paste Special" to do this, first copying the formats
over to a new page (looks exactly like what I have on the main page)
and then copying the values.

It works fine as long as I have only single cells selected.  What goes
wrong is when I have merged cells selected.  Apparently "Paste Special
- Values" is very very picky.  Even when I have exactly identical (as
in pasted via PS-Format) merged cells, it still gives me the error
message "This requires merged cells to be identically sized" ...  even
when it's a simple two cell merging.

Is there any other way to do this?  I've got a decent store of VB
knowledge now, and wasn't sure if something like Cell.Values would work
(since it's text ... the Value() function does NOT work).
Cell("contents",A1) or whatever doesn't work when I re-open the
spreadsheet somewhere where the original A1 doesn't exist, hence why I
want to copy only values.  And it's not an option to remake my
spreadsheet without the merged cells (although if I could create an
intermediate spreadsheet w/o merged cells and then re-do it on the
final product that would be OK, but that seems at minimum horribly
complicated) ...

Thanks in advance!  If you're doing this on email please email
snoopy369 at yahoo dt com w/reply :)

-Joe

---

"snoopy369 >" <<snoopy369.10a4d0@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Heya ... I've got a workbook that consists of a "main page" with several
> columns of formatted text, and several columns of VLOOKUP'ed text drawn
> from several other worksheets in the workbook.  My boss wants only the
> main page and not the others (too much space on his HD) ... I've been
> trying to use "Paste Special" to do this, first copying the formats
> over to a new page (looks exactly like what I have on the main page)
> and then copying the values.
>
> It works fine as long as I have only single cells selected.  What goes
> wrong is when I have merged cells selected.  Apparently "Paste Special
> - Values" is very very picky.  Even when I have exactly identical (as
> in pasted via PS-Format) merged cells, it still gives me the error
> message "This requires merged cells to be identically sized" ...  even
> when it's a simple two cell merging.
>
> Is there any other way to do this?  I've got a decent store of VB
> knowledge now, and wasn't sure if something like Cell.Values would work
> (since it's text ... the Value() function does NOT work).
> Cell("contents",A1) or whatever doesn't work when I re-open the
> spreadsheet somewhere where the original A1 doesn't exist, hence why I
> want to copy only values.  And it's not an option to remake my
> spreadsheet without the merged cells (although if I could create an
> intermediate spreadsheet w/o merged cells and then re-do it on the
> final product that would be OK, but that seems at minimum horribly
> complicated) ...
>
> Thanks in advance!  If you're doing this on email please email
> snoopy369 at yahoo dt com w/reply :)
>
> -Joe

Your problem is more likely to do with having merged cells than with Paste
Special > Values. Merged cells are known to cause problems in many ways.
Could you remove the merging and use instead
Format > Cells > Alignment tab > Horizontal > "Center Across Selection" ?
I have never found this to cause a problem like merging cells does.

0
Paul
1/19/2004 1:25:23 PM
Hi Snoopy369!

Try cheating!

If you use Ron de Bruin's SendMail, there is an option that allows
sending a single sheet and within that option you can select "Values".

It also has the advantage that you can send it straight to your boss
with the size challenged hard drive.

Ron's SendMail is a free Addin obtained with a User Guide from:

If you're using Outlook:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail-addin.htm

If not:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm#Add-in

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)
1/19/2004 1:25:27 PM
Norman:
Thanks for the suggestion, but with me being on an evil corporat
intranet, there's just no way i'd be able or allowed to pull somethin
like that ;)  Otherwise that would be fantastic though!

Paul:
I may try playing with that ... the format is fixed, that I have t
follow, but I may be able to cheat with CenterAcrossSelection ... i 'l
see what I can do tomorrow :)

Thanks!

-Jo

I was able to work it out by doing a complicated copy and paste
technique -- for those interested, essentially:

(create new sheet, copy of 1st)
(remove merging of cells in copy)
(copy cells from copied sheet, pastespecial - values into 3rd sheet)
(copy cells of 1st sheet, pastespecial-formats into 3rd sheet)

leaving me with a 3rd sheet that's pristine :)  I can then move that
into a new workbook at my leisure. :)  Email me if anyone in the future
wants the actual code (i'll keep it around for a while).

Would be nice if excel played nicely with Merged Cells, though --
they're used a lot in the corporate world of formatted reports.  :)

-Joe

---

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

How to filter text automatically
Hi all, I have a workbook that has infomation imported in from access. the info is as shown session date Amount Due Comments 1 1/1/05 234 11 Good 2 2/2/05 123 7 Not so Good this goe's on for 12 sessions. what I need is for excel to check the session on this worksheet 'Import1' against the 'Main Sheet' cellA1 and which ever one matches then the comment is entered into 'Main Sheet' Cell F62. hope that makes sense. Cheers. Alan In cell F62 of Main Sheet, put this formu...

Tab , setFocus doesn't hilite the text of the field
Hi, I have many fields that should be filled by the user. I added 2 more and I would like to change the tab order. I don't like using the numbers (after pressing Ctrl D, by clicking the fields I change the order) because I have too many fields and it takes time to do that. So I used the script, in each killFocus function I called setFocus function with the right field. The problem is that this function brings the cursor to the right field BUT it doesn't hilite the value in that field so in order to change this value I have first to hilite it. How can I hilite it by script? Th...

Extract numeric value from single cell
Hello, I have numeric values within a text string in a single cell. There i no conformity to the length, or the make-up of the text. There is only ever 1 numeric value (that may vary in length from 1- digits long) within the text string. I have used the find function, but is getting vary messy. Is there numeric wildcard character I can use. Im using Excel 2000 Any help would be much appreciate -- Landyma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Landyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=807 View this thread: htt...

order by case value
If I have the following: SELECT UserID as RID ,EnvironmentID as EnvID ,@authorType as RType ,'A' as Type ,'Author' as FullType ,Case When (isnull(FirstName, '') <> '' AND isnull(LastName, '') <> '') then LastName + ', ' + FirstName When (isnull(FirstName, '') <> '' AND isnull(LastName, '') = '') then FirstName When isnull(FirstName, '') = '' then LastName End as RName ,Email as EmailAddress FROM User WHERE EnvironmentID = @Environment...

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Picture behind text in Cells
Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the worksheet cells? Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in front of a picture? Many thanks Bezza Format\sheet\background should do the trick RES That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displayed behind cells. I need to use the cells so that the values displayed infront of the different pictures can be used in forumula's. Bezza That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displaye...

SUMIF returns no value
My SUMIF argument returns no value but when checking fx the Sum_range reflects the correct value, but Formula result is R – =SUMIF($A4,'TB SAICMB'!$A$4:$A$500,'TB SAICMB'!S4) Any help will be appreciated EricB =SUMIF('TB SAICMB'!$A$4:$A$500,$A4,'TB SAICMB'!$S$4:$S$500) "EricB" wrote: > My SUMIF argument returns no value but when checking fx the Sum_range > reflects the correct value, but Formula result is R – > > =SUMIF($A4,'TB SAICMB'!$A$4:$A$500,'TB SAICMB'!S4) > > Any help will be appr...

Count Formula #4
I have a spreadsheet with three tabs. They all have people requesting time off...first sheet is for people requesting more than a week off - 2nd for 1 week at a time - 3rd for people just wanting 1 day off. The sheets have their name then 2 columns one for days off starting and the other for days off finishing (With the exception of people just wanting one day off) I would like to have another sheet counting the number of people off on a daily basis. It is easy enough using "counif" for the people asking for 1 day off...but I can't seem to easily break out the weekly...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

local copy of mail

Row hieght formula
I was wondering if there is a formula for row height. I have a lon list, and I want each row that returns a 0 to collapse automatically. Anyone know how to do that -- funktasti ----------------------------------------------------------------------- funktastic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1600 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27473 You should hide them. I'm not too keen on Visual Basic, but that's where you'd need to go to automate it. If you'd like to do it manually you can filter the cel...

Formula to reach goal percentage of migrating customers
I am working on a formula and am stuck. I have a goal date that I want to have a certain percentage of customers migrated (90%). There are many weeks leading up to the goal date. I have the following criteria setup: Prior to Week-4 2% of base migrate Week-4 20% migrate Week-3 20% migrate Week-2 20% migrate Week-1 20% migrate Week-0 balance migrate How can I set up a formula on a declining base to reach my goal of 90%? ...

Secondary Copy

Outlook 2000 SP3

Calculate max value in specific range
Hi all, I've got a table with specific date values (start & end dates) like this: 3/23/00 Start 3/26/00 End etc. note: the length of days will vary from time tot time. -- I also have a table with all date values and corresponding numbers, like this: Column: A B Row: 1 3/23/00 1101.16 2 3/24/00 1106.16 3 3/25/00 1143.07 (=MAX) 4 3/26/00 1137.54 -- How can I calculate the max value from all those corresponding numbers between a Start- & End date? (1143.07 in this case) I've already tried the Vlookup and Max function but that only refers to 1 value (as...

formula to get true average
Hi, I need a formula to achieve a average for some mutual funds I have purchased over a period of years. Column A contains the number of shares I have purchased and Column C contain the price per share and Column D contains the cost for these shares. For example column A2 contains 130.29 and Column C2 contains $18.30 and Column D2 contains $2,484.25. Each cell in Column A contains a different number of shares and likewise so does column C and D. I have 40 cells in Column A each with a different number of shares and Column C has 50 cells each with a different amount per share and Colum...

Creating a chart from a table of values
I would like to create a chart from a table of values using indexing so i can vary the range of the table. Can anyone help? Take a look at the dynamic charts here http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html#DynoCht "hydro1guy" wrote: > I would like to create a chart from a table of values using indexing so i can > vary the range of the table. Can anyone help? ...

Any idea why this is giving me a #Value! Error?
Function FrstLtrs(MyStr As String) As String Dim temp Dim i As Long TmpStr = Split(Trim(MyStr)) 'MsgBox "String" + TmpStr For i = 0 To UBound(TmpStr) If Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "OF") And Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "FOR") And Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "THE") And _ Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "AND") And Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "A") Then If Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) >= 65 And _ Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) <= 90 Then FrstLtrs = FrstLtrs & Left(TmpStr(i), 1) End If End If Next End Function Find the mo...

CDaoTableDef
I'm developing an application that uses the MicroSoft Access Jet DB engine. This is being done using C++ in VS.net. I need to change the user's db when they use the new version of the program. In particular I need to change the length of a text field in a pre-existing db without loosing the user's data. When I wanted to add a new field I used CDaoTableDef and it worked fine, but I can't locate a method to just update an existing field's properties. Any Ideas on how this can be done?? Thanks, Neil Neil if you need to alter the attributes of a tabledef object, you ...

Copy picture ossice wizard

Parsing Text When Only One Character Can Be Used To Search
Hello: I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance. I have a series of text rows containing one string that I need to parse. There are no characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text. Here's a sample record ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2, What I need to pull from this string is --...

Any way to add newlines to a static value in workflow?
Hi, all. Pretty simple question (so I hope)... I'm trying to create a workflow rule that will pull data (name and address) from an entity, and update a field within another entity. The problem is that I'm trying to separate the name and address elements with newlines, so that the field will contain: FirstName LastName 123 First St. Townville, IN 12009 Is there a way to specify a newline this way in a Static Value? I've tried the usual stuff (\n, <br>, <br/>, \\n, \r\n, etc.) with no luck. Is there a way to do that? Thanks for any help, Jeremy you are going to hav...

Expanding Text Box
One one slide: I need to click on title 1 and have a text box appear...then disappear when I click on title 2...and so on. Without using a macro, how can I achieve this? Thank you. Use Custom Animation to set entrance and exit on mouse click, the exact steps would be somewhat dependent on the version of PP your are using. -- James Bart: "According to creationism, there were no cavemen." Homer: "Good riddance! Their drawings sucked and they looked like hippies." "Gina" <Gina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA63087D-5125-4...