copy value from the cell above to the cell below in a column

I have a spreadsheet that was saved from a report.  this report only lists
the employee name once.  There is a way to copy the value of the cell above
to the cell below, all the way down the column at once.  I can get as far as
highlighting the blank cells with the Go To function, then I can not remember
the steps to tell excel to copy the data into the blank cells.

Ctrl-D or edit-fill-fill down, works one at a time.  But there is a way of
copying each employee's name to the blank cell below all at once, without
doing it individually.

can anyon help?

thanks

0
tarthur (3)

See answers to your previous post

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"tarthur" <tarthur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a spreadsheet that was saved from a report.  this report only lists
> the employee name once.  There is a way to copy the value of the cell
above
> to the cell below, all the way down the column at once.  I can get as far
as
> highlighting the blank cells with the Go To function, then I can not
remember
> the steps to tell excel to copy the data into the blank cells.
>
> Ctrl-D or edit-fill-fill down, works one at a time.  But there is a way of
> copying each employee's name to the blank cell below all at once, without
> doing it individually.
>
> can anyon help?
>
> thanks

0
Don
11/3/2005 6:37:47 PM
Hi tarthur.  The following site - Contextures.com - has a way to do what you
want.  http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"tarthur" wrote:

> I have a spreadsheet that was saved from a report.  this report only lists
> the employee name once.  There is a way to copy the value of the cell above
> to the cell below, all the way down the column at once.  I can get as far as
> highlighting the blank cells with the Go To function, then I can not remember
> the steps to tell excel to copy the data into the blank cells.
>
> Ctrl-D or edit-fill-fill down, works one at a time.  But there is a way of
> copying each employee's name to the blank cell below all at once, without
> doing it individually.
>
> can anyon help?
>
> thanks

0
Michael5492 (655)

Extract numeric value from single cell
Hello, I have numeric values within a text string in a single cell. There i no conformity to the length, or the make-up of the text. There is only ever 1 numeric value (that may vary in length from 1- digits long) within the text string. I have used the find function, but is getting vary messy. Is there numeric wildcard character I can use. Im using Excel 2000 Any help would be much appreciate -- Landyma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Landyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=807 View this thread: htt...

order by case value
If I have the following: SELECT UserID as RID ,EnvironmentID as EnvID ,@authorType as RType ,'A' as Type ,'Author' as FullType ,Case When (isnull(FirstName, '') <> '' AND isnull(LastName, '') <> '') then LastName + ', ' + FirstName When (isnull(FirstName, '') <> '' AND isnull(LastName, '') = '') then FirstName When isnull(FirstName, '') = '' then LastName End as RName ,Email as EmailAddress FROM User WHERE EnvironmentID = @Environment...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Picture behind text in Cells
Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the worksheet cells? Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in front of a picture? Many thanks Bezza Format\sheet\background should do the trick RES That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displayed behind cells. I need to use the cells so that the values displayed infront of the different pictures can be used in forumula's. Bezza That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displaye...

Row amd column heading
I have received one excel file in which rows number (1,2...) and column name (A,B,...) are in some big font 18, or maybe more. I couldn't find option to make them standard. Thanks in advance, Emilija Hi Emilija, On you toolbar you should have a font box and next to it is the size of the font. Select the row and change the fontsize to 10 for instance. Help, Answer Wizard Change font size From the topics show, select the topic that matches "Change the font or font size" --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http...

SUMIF returns no value
My SUMIF argument returns no value but when checking fx the Sum_range reflects the correct value, but Formula result is R – =SUMIF($A4,'TB SAICMB'!$A$4:$A$500,'TB SAICMB'!S4) Any help will be appreciated EricB =SUMIF('TB SAICMB'!$A$4:$A$500,$A4,'TB SAICMB'!$S$4:$S$500) "EricB" wrote: > My SUMIF argument returns no value but when checking fx the Sum_range > reflects the correct value, but Formula result is R – > > =SUMIF($A4,'TB SAICMB'!$A$4:$A$500,'TB SAICMB'!S4) > > Any help will be appr...

Cant se some columns! Why?
I have a spreadsheet that displays COL A and them col BL-BM-BN etc How do I get to see the cols B to BK I am working with EXCEL 2007 Thanks Either columns B through BK are hidden (most likely), or the Window is frozen and you've scrolled way over to the right, bringing column BL next to A. Assuming they're just hidden, Click on the 2 that identifies row 2 so that the entire row is selected, then On the [HOME] tab, in the CELLS group, pull down the "Format" list and choose Hide and Unhide and click the UNHIDE COLUMNS option. If its a Frozen window thin...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Columns won't Hide!
I'm trying to hide columns in a ss and I get the message, "Cannot Shift Objects off Sheet.". I'm able to hide some columns but Excel seems to reach a limit. Help! You may have something in columns that you don't know about. "Tom" <thomas.hamilton@med.va.gov> wrote in message news:051e01c38d97$7b458e80$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying to hide columns in a ss and I get the > message, "Cannot Shift Objects off Sheet.". I'm able to > hide some columns but Excel seems to reach a limit. > > Help! >-----Original Mess...

Outlook 2000 SP3

Calculate max value in specific range
Hi all, I've got a table with specific date values (start & end dates) like this: 3/23/00 Start 3/26/00 End etc. note: the length of days will vary from time tot time. -- I also have a table with all date values and corresponding numbers, like this: Column: A B Row: 1 3/23/00 1101.16 2 3/24/00 1106.16 3 3/25/00 1143.07 (=MAX) 4 3/26/00 1137.54 -- How can I calculate the max value from all those corresponding numbers between a Start- & End date? (1143.07 in this case) I've already tried the Vlookup and Max function but that only refers to 1 value (as...

Creating a chart from a table of values
I would like to create a chart from a table of values using indexing so i can vary the range of the table. Can anyone help? Take a look at the dynamic charts here http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html#DynoCht "hydro1guy" wrote: > I would like to create a chart from a table of values using indexing so i can > vary the range of the table. Can anyone help? ...

Error message when hiding columns
Has anyone seen this error message before when trying to hide columns? "Cannot shift objects off sheet." -- valenj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ valenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24087 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376912 maybe this'll help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 valenj wrote: > > Has anyone seen this error message before whe...

Copy picture ossice wizard

Any idea why this is giving me a #Value! Error?
Function FrstLtrs(MyStr As String) As String Dim temp Dim i As Long TmpStr = Split(Trim(MyStr)) 'MsgBox "String" + TmpStr For i = 0 To UBound(TmpStr) If Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "OF") And Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "FOR") And Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "THE") And _ Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "AND") And Not (UCase(TmpStr) = "A") Then If Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) >= 65 And _ Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) <= 90 Then FrstLtrs = FrstLtrs & Left(TmpStr(i), 1) End If End If Next End Function Find the mo...

Any way to add newlines to a static value in workflow?
Hi, all. Pretty simple question (so I hope)... I'm trying to create a workflow rule that will pull data (name and address) from an entity, and update a field within another entity. The problem is that I'm trying to separate the name and address elements with newlines, so that the field will contain: FirstName LastName 123 First St. Townville, IN 12009 Is there a way to specify a newline this way in a Static Value? I've tried the usual stuff (\n, <br>, <br/>, \\n, \r\n, etc.) with no luck. Is there a way to do that? Thanks for any help, Jeremy you are going to hav...

Blank cells in graph
I have a a line graph that displays customer behaviour in a number of categories. The data source for the graph is a table that refreshes every time a different 'customer' is selected from a macro drop-down list above the table, drawing data from another table. All the blank cells from the table are plotted as zero on the line graph, and I can't seem to change it so that the blank cells are not plotted on the line graph at all. I've tried going to Tools>Options>Chart, but the 'Plot empty cells as' options are all greyed out except for the 'Zero' opt...

subtotal copy and paste

To get a lot of charts that contain different values in a minute
To create hundreds of charts in one minute! thousands of in several minutes! Just need a chart in worksheet, you can produce ten charts by using ten rows of data, and produce a thousand of charts by using a thousand of rows! every one of them corresponds to the content of a certain cell, row, column or a certain range. Please visit http://www.addintools.com and trial it. ...

3D Column Chart #2
How do I create a 3D column chart and have three axis? ...