Copy conditional formatting across multiple rows?

I am using Excel 2003 and have created  conditional formatting on the first
row in the worksheet with a formula as follows =R3C3="No". This works
correctly and the formatting of the row works as expected.

If I now copy the formatting to the row below, using the 'Fill formatting
Only' option when pasting the formatting is still based on the cell
referenced in the intial formatting.

Is there anyway to reference column 3 more generically in the formatting
formula so I do not have to modify the formula on every row?

TIA

Gil
0
Gil1 (13)

Gil,

R3C3 is absolute referencing.

You can either switch to A1 notation (Tools>Options>General uncheck R1C1
Reference Style) and use a formula of =C3="No".

Or you can use relative referencing, so if the CF is in A1, you use
=R[2]C[2]="No"

--

HTH

RP

"Gil" <Gil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using Excel 2003 and have created  conditional formatting on the
first
> row in the worksheet with a formula as follows =R3C3="No". This works
> correctly and the formatting of the row works as expected.
>
> If I now copy the formatting to the row below, using the 'Fill formatting
> Only' option when pasting the formatting is still based on the cell
> referenced in the intial formatting.
>
> Is there anyway to reference column 3 more generically in the formatting
> formula so I do not have to modify the formula on every row?
>
> TIA
>
> Gil

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

how can you re-number multiple sheets 'automatically'?
I have a large worksheet with a large number (100+) of sheets that I would like to rename/renumber and don't want to do it one-by-one. I.e. change from Sheet 1, Sheet 2, etc to just 1,2,3,.... If your sheets are named Sheet1, Sheet2 etc without the spaces shown in your post then you can use a macro like this to change the names: Sub ChangeNames() Dim i As Integer For i = 1 To Sheets.Count If Left(Sheets(i).Name, 5) = "Sheet" Then Sheets(i).Name = Mid(Sheets(i).Name, 6 _ , Len(Sheets(i).Name) - 5) End If Nex...

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Comma Style Formatting from Format Toolbar
Hello all I am using Excel 97 SR-2. All of a sudden my Comma Style formatting button (from the formatting toolbar) is formatting differently to previous and is not want I want. My Control Panel settings for number and currency I have always set to display negatives in brackets and this is how the Comma Style button used to work. Now it formats negatives with a leading negative sign with the sign aligned to the extreme left of the cell with the numbers right aligned. Any adeas on how I get this formatting button to work correctly again??? Thanks Tony McGee ...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Copy info from one workbook to another?

local copy of mail

Row hieght formula
I was wondering if there is a formula for row height. I have a lon list, and I want each row that returns a 0 to collapse automatically. Anyone know how to do that -- funktasti ----------------------------------------------------------------------- funktastic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1600 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27473 You should hide them. I'm not too keen on Visual Basic, but that's where you'd need to go to automate it. If you'd like to do it manually you can filter the cel...

Secondary Copy

Grouping Rows
I need to group a bunch of rows but I am having some problems. The code lines below works great: Rows("5:8").Select Selection.Rows.Group but I need to group these rows 12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30. I tried Rows("12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30").Select Selection.Rows.Group but I get and Overflow error message. When I tried Me.Rows("12:12,14:14,16:16,18:18,20:20,22:22,24:24,26:26,28:28,30:30").Select Selection.Rows.Group I get a Type mismatch error message. What am I doing wrong? HI The 'Rows' object obviously do not ac...

Outlook 2000 SP3

Copy picture ossice wizard

create pivot table from multiple sheet (excell 2003)
as understood, excell 2003 have row limit...but, currently i have data that more than the row limit... so, i split my data to 2 separate worksheet...the column name for each worksheet same.. my question, how can i create one pivot table from the two worksheet...i've tried using the wizard n consolidated data but failed.... thank you vm.. Maybe you could try creating the pivot directly from the Access source table (which doesn't have the 65k row limitations) In Excel, in a new sheet, Click Data > Import External data > Import data Navigate to where the Access file is >...

Multiple modal dialog or ::MessageBox, crashes the application
Hi, We have an application, in which we need to show multiple modal dialog boxes at the same time. But, when we close these modal dialog boxes, the application crashes. The messagebox is invoked as shown.. ::MessageBox(hWndParent, m_strMsg, g_strTitle, MB_TASKMODAL | MB_SETFOREGROUND ); Here is the call stack.. 524.84c): C++ EH exception - code e06d7363 (first chance) (524.494): Access violation - code c0000005 (first chance) First chance exceptions are reported before any exception handling. This exception may be expected and handled. eax=001804ee ebx=00fb4cd0 ecx=0012d5f8 edx=7ffeff0...

double line format button only formats single line when added to .
When adding a double line format button to my Toolbar using the Customize, Categories Box, Command Box and then dragging the double line format button to my Toolbar, I only get a single line format when using this button. It's a bug. There's a workaround in the following thread. http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3C59F286.DB7C606A%40msn.com AlwaysLearning wrote: > When adding a double line format button to my Toolbar using the Customize, > Categories Box, Command Box and then dragging the double line format button > to my Toolbar, I only get a single line format wh...

subtotal copy and paste

Use of multiple Currency
Is it possible to change cost for few of the resources. I mean some material in INR and rest of the material and work in $. I'm using MS Project 2007 version. Regards Satya On Jan 8, 8:32=A0am, Satya <Sa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to change cost for few of the resources. I mean some mater= ial > in INR and rest of the material and work in $. > I'm using MS Project 2007 version. > Regards > Satya Sathya - In Project, you cannot use only one currency per project (see Microsoft Help "Change the currency settings for you...

Multiple signatures problem in outlook 2003
Hi We have two accounts in outlook, one the exchange and the other a pop account so we can sent email under two separate domains (units of business). We need to have separate signatures for each account. We assumed outlook 2003 provided that on its own and upgraded outlook only to outlook 2003 while leaving office versions to below 2003. Now it turns out we also need word 2003 for this feature to work as standard. My question is; is there any way to create an email with a signature other than the default even if it is through vba code? Thanks Regards Not that I know of. --� Milly Sta...

limit number of rows 7 colloms in a worksheet
is there a way to limit or set the number of rows & collums in a worksheet ? thanks david --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "davidbrowne17" <davidbrowne17.ya1sm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:davidbrowne17.ya1sm@excelforum-nospam.com... > is there a way to limit or set the number of rows & collums in a > worksheet ? No. All worksheets have 256 columns by 65536 rows. You can hide unused rows/columns. But why bother? Hi David, Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module. Adjust to suit the area. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Wo...

Select multiple records based on search
I have adapted Allen Browne's Search form (thank you!) to setup a search criteria. I have figured out how to double click on a particular record on this list which will take me to the Main Update form and the selected record. What I'd like to do is open the Main Update form with all the records in the search list. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Lock Conditional Formatting
Good afternoon, Is there a way that I may lock the conditional formatting of a cell without locking out the ability to enter data into the cell? I have several columns of data, each column with a different conditional formatting scheme. I want to make sure that no one accidentally copies a cell in one row into another row or does "fill right/left" - which kills the formatting. When I protect the worksheet, which disables a user from having access to the formating buttons (text color, pattern, border), a user can still copy or fill the format of one cell to another. Any suggestio...

how do I convert a publisher document to .jpeg format?
I want to save a Publisher document as a .jpeg file. The help topics say it can be done, but I haven't been able to find out how in the help menu. Any ideas will be appreciated... Is there a reason why you want a .jpg? Would a .pdf work? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Thumper" <Thumper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9FB0F29-3D95-4E22-963B-F2004CA37AE7@microsoft.com... >I want to save a Publisher document as a .jpeg file. The help topics say it > can be done, but I haven't been able to find out how in the help menu. Any > ...

Formatting with MFC
I have an MFC application but I have left the formatting of the controls at the default setting. How do I do the following formatting operations: - Change font size and colour of static text controls - Change edit controls to be 'flat' - Change height/width of edit box - Change text size in edit control - Change background color on dialog box Thanks. >How do I do the following formatting operations: > >- Change font size and colour of static text controls >- Change text size in edit control Make use of WM_SETFONT & handle WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC. >- Change edit c...