converting rows and columns

Hi,

I have a dataset that is not organized the way I want it
to. The data is organized as follows:

Country  Variable  Year1  Year2  Year3 ...
A           1      10     20     30
A           2      5      6      7
A           3      45     40     35
B           1      4      9      2
B           2      ...
B           3      ...
C           1
C           2
etc.

I want to copy this data into another table that is
organized as follows:

Country  Year   Variable1  Variable2  Variable3
A        year1  ...        ...        ...
A        year2  ...
A        year3  .
B        year1  .
B        year2  .
B        year3  .
C        year1  .
etc etc

I can't do it with VLOOKUP because I would have to look in
two columns (country and variable name) and then transfer
the data from the appropriate year.  I would appreciate
any help!

Regards,
Mehmet

0
anonymous (74717)

select the data under variable through year?   ctrl-c to
copy. Go to a blank area on the sheet and paste-special
(under edit), in the dialog box select the
checkbox 'transpose'. Erase the old data and move the new
data into position.

Good luck

0
anonymous (74717)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Delete some column headings from an autofiltered range.
I've selected a range of cells e.g. A6 to CP83 and autofiltered this range. I wish to retain the list headings for columns A to C but wish to remove the list headings from the remaining columns D to CP without affecting the overall list range. Can this be done? "Champ" wrote: > I've selected a range of cells e.g. A6 to CP83 and autofiltered this range. I > wish to retain the list headings for columns A to C but wish to remove the > list headings from the remaining columns D to CP without affecting the > overall list range. Can this be done? .....

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Convert Access97 to 2000

match rows from spreadsheets-Please help.
how do i match rows from different spreadsheets to a directory: Directory ZIP No. 80001 1 80002 2 80003 3 80004 4 80005 5 80006 6 80007 7 Sheet 1: ZIP POP 80001 134 80003 9890 80006 9489 80009 883 =>: Directory ZIP No. POP 80001 1 134 80002 2 80003 3 9890 80004 4 80005 5 80006 6 9489 80007 7 Use VLOOKUP If you tell us where each block of data resides, I will give a more detailed answer. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme r...

Pivot Table Row Field Format (OLAP Source)
I have a pivot table linked to an OLAP cube. In this instance, my only row field contains numbers (the number of days taken to complete a task) and all I want to do is display a count for each total (i.e. 234 items took 1 day, 345 took 2 etc). The problem is that these numbers are listed as text, therefore 1,10,100,11 instead of 1,2,3. In view of the number of days, I'm trying to avoid manually adjusting the list. Apart from importing the source data into Excel rather than using the cube, is there any way to get around this? The problem is in your cube. Edit the dimension in your...

Specific row at the top of the screen?
I have been looking in this forum for an answer to help me position a specific row located by a macro at the top of the screen. Can someone help? Thank's ahead From the Excel Vba help file... This example moves row ten to the top of the window. Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate ActiveWindow.ScrollRow = 10 -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming) "Bobby" wrote in message I have been looking in this forum for an answer to help me position a specific row located by a macro at the top of the scre...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

column to row
hi I have a lot of data in one column in access. I would like to have all this data on the one column to be on one row. Tried to copy it to excel and transpose but the data is too long to transpose. Any ideas. i have over 200k rows and want to list it on one line. thanks. t wrote: >I have a lot of data in one column in access. I would like to have all this >data on the one column to be on one row. Tried to copy it to excel and >transpose but the data is too long to transpose. Any ideas. i have over 200k >rows and want to list it on one line. How do you expe...

Row Grand Totals in Pivot Tables?
I'm working in Excel 2007 and I can't seem to see my row grand totals in my pivot table. I can see the grand totals on the columns, but no rows. Any ideas? Hi adodson See if the article at http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/pivottbls/gtotal_col2007.php does what you want. Regards, Pedro J. > I'm working in Excel 2007 and I can't seem to see my row grand totals in my > pivot table. I can see the grand totals on the columns, but no rows. Any > ideas? Yeah, that is what I would expect it to do too. However, I set that option and don't receive the total. ...

Change color of row (Col A thru Col Q) based on text value in Col J
I am using David McRitchie's code for changing color of entire row based on contents based on a specified cell text value: 'Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36'. This works fine; however, I only want to change color in the first 17 cells in each of the affected rows. How do I do this? Also, I am confused: do I want the stmt 'Application.EnableEvents = True' at the top of my coding in the 'Worksheet_Change' event coding (occupies the Sheet1 Module)? One way: Target.EntireRow.resize(1,17).Interior.ColorIndex = 36 JingleRock wrote: > > I...

XML Note convert to DataSet

hisind rows with an if statement
I would like to be able to hide a number of rows based on the response to a question.. The response to the question is a list box with either "yes" or "no" as the choices.. If the response = "no" then I would like to hide the next 3 rows, otherwise do nothing.. Is there a "hide" command of some sort that I can use as part of an IF statement or is this going to require a macro ? -- Thanks Larry Requires a macro, specifically a Worksheet_Change() event macro: Assuming your "YES/NO" choice is in column A the code belo...

Two columns per location
I've got 4 locations (Edinburgh, Birmingham, London, Manchester) and information that I want to show for each location however I want to do a chart where each location has two bars of information. The first bar will be made up of information in two columns relating to two different types of customer and the second bar will be made up of two further columns which record information that adds up to a total. The chart is to show two customer groups appointment which they've used this year and then what they could have taken (i.e. free/unbooked appointments plus ones which they c...

Convert

Longest Entry in Columns
Hi. What is the best / quickest way to find the longest entry (most characters / numbers, etc.) in a column? Thanks. Hi! This array formula entered with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER will tell you how long the longest entry is in a range of cells: =MAX(LEN(A1:A100)) If you want to identify that entry, you could use conditional formatting: Select the range A1:A100 Goto Format>Conditional Formatting Formula is: =LEN(A1)=MAX(LEN(A$1:A$100)) Click the Format button and select a background fill color OK out Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hi. What is the best / quickest...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Numbers converting to decimal

Inventory list columns
There needs to be more columns avaialble in the inventory and other lists. It would also be nice to be able to print from the inventory lists. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en...

Controlling hyphenated words in columns.
Is there a way to set up linked columns so that words don't hyphenate? I have tried spacing, reducing font by a half point and adjusting the size of the column but it seems like a lot of work to set it up, then when printing sometimes the layout changes again. Tools, language, hyphenation. Or if you want the hyphenation turned off for this and all future publications, tools, options, edit tab. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "misskitty" <misskitty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money