converting fractions to decimal

As a data entry tool in an Excel form, I'd like to convert a numeric fraction
("3/4") contained in a "source cell" to its decimal equivalent ("0.75")
contained in a corresponding "target cell". The target cell needs to
dynamically react to any changes in the source cell (using formulas and
text-to-column delivers the correct result, but it is not dynamic). Is this
possible? How?
0
PDI-AV (2)

It appears, after a little experimenting ,that
entering the fraction as a fraction:   0 3/4
or
number formatting the fraction as a fraction
allows the dependent cell to display decimals,
if the dependent cell is formatted as a number.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"PDI-AV" <PDI-AV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
As a data entry tool in an Excel form, I'd like to convert a numeric fraction
("3/4") contained in a "source cell" to its decimal equivalent ("0.75")
contained in a corresponding "target cell". The target cell needs to
dynamically react to any changes in the source cell (using formulas and
text-to-column delivers the correct result, but it is not dynamic). Is this
possible? How?
0
jim.coneXXX (771)
6/23/2005 2:00:39 AM
Hi!

Assume A1 holds the fractional value. Cell A1 would have to be formatted as
TEXT, otherwise Excel will interpret 3/4 as a date.

=LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1)/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255)

Biff

"PDI-AV" <PDI-AV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As a data entry tool in an Excel form, I'd like to convert a numeric
> fraction
> ("3/4") contained in a "source cell" to its decimal equivalent ("0.75")
> contained in a corresponding "target cell". The target cell needs to
> dynamically react to any changes in the source cell (using formulas and
> text-to-column delivers the correct result, but it is not dynamic). Is
> this
> possible? How?

0
biffinpitt (3172)
6/23/2005 2:11:47 AM
Very,very cool!  I'll spend a few minutes dissecting this expression (to
completely understand it), but you have to admire the result!  Many thanks!

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Assume A1 holds the fractional value. Cell A1 would have to be formatted as
> TEXT, otherwise Excel will interpret 3/4 as a date.
>
> =LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1)/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255)
>
> Biff
>
> "PDI-AV" <PDI-AV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As a data entry tool in an Excel form, I'd like to convert a numeric
> > fraction
> > ("3/4") contained in a "source cell" to its decimal equivalent ("0.75")
> > contained in a corresponding "target cell". The target cell needs to
> > dynamically react to any changes in the source cell (using formulas and
> > text-to-column delivers the correct result, but it is not dynamic). Is
> > this
> > possible? How?

0
PDI-AV (2)
6/23/2005 4:49:01 PM
OK, here's the next layer of complexity (for me)...given that the resulting
decimal value in the target cell is used in other formulas, a valid number is
required in this target cell as to preclude an error condition in the
dependent formulas. When the source cell (containing the original fraction)
is blank, this otherwise cool fraction-to-decimal formula delivers a
non-numeric value in the target cell ("#VALUE!").  How can I condition the
target cell to defaut to a zero value in this instance?

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Assume A1 holds the fractional value. Cell A1 would have to be formatted as
> TEXT, otherwise Excel will interpret 3/4 as a date.
>
> =LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1)/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255)
>
> Biff
>
> "PDI-AV" <PDI-AV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As a data entry tool in an Excel form, I'd like to convert a numeric
> > fraction
> > ("3/4") contained in a "source cell" to its decimal equivalent ("0.75")
> > contained in a corresponding "target cell". The target cell needs to
> > dynamically react to any changes in the source cell (using formulas and
> > text-to-column delivers the correct result, but it is not dynamic). Is
> > this
> > possible? How?

0
PDIAV (1)
6/23/2005 10:00:04 PM
Hi!

Try one of these:

=IF(A1="",0,LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1)/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255))

=IF(ISERROR(LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1)/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255)),0,LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1)/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255))

Biff

> OK, here's the next layer of complexity (for me)...given that the
> resulting
> decimal value in the target cell is used in other formulas, a valid number
> is
> required in this target cell as to preclude an error condition in the
> dependent formulas. When the source cell (containing the original
> fraction)
> is blank, this otherwise cool fraction-to-decimal formula delivers a
> non-numeric value in the target cell ("#VALUE!").  How can I condition the
> target cell to defaut to a zero value in this instance?
>
> "Biff" wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Assume A1 holds the fractional value. Cell A1 would have to be formatted
>> as
>> TEXT, otherwise Excel will interpret 3/4 as a date.
>>
>> =LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1)/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255)
>>
>> Biff
>>
>> "PDI-AV" <PDI-AV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > As a data entry tool in an Excel form, I'd like to convert a numeric
>> > fraction
>> > ("3/4") contained in a "source cell" to its decimal equivalent ("0.75")
>> > contained in a corresponding "target cell". The target cell needs to
>> > dynamically react to any changes in the source cell (using formulas and
>> > text-to-column delivers the correct result, but it is not dynamic). Is
>> > this
>> > possible? How?

0
biffinpitt (3172)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Convert Access97 to 2000

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

XML Note convert to DataSet

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Convert

Numbers converting to decimal

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money

Converting from AOL to Outlook

Customizing "Convert Campaign Response"
We have created custom Fields in the Campaign Response entity that we would like to populate on the Lead Entity when we do a conversion. However it doesn't seem like this is possible from the Data Map. Is there a way to modify what fields are carried forward during a conversion, or do I need to find a different method? Thank you in advance. Hi, As I had some time left, I tried to figure this one out. To my surprise I can't find ANY direct link between a converted campaign response and a new lead. There is only an indirect link, through the campaign entity. But that does not ...

Problem with AFX_THREAD_STATE class converting from VS6.0 to VS.NET 2003
I have inherited some code that works in VS6.0. It has code snippets like the following: _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThreadState(); pThreadState->m_nLastHit = 0; and _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThreadState(); CToolTipCtrl* pToolTip = pThreadState->m_pToolTip; It then does things with these values. In VS.NET, there is no member variable in _AFX_THREAD_STATE that corresponds to m_nLastHit or m_pToolTip. Have these been replaced by something similar in VS.NET 2003 that I can use? #if (_MFC_VER < 0x0700) _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThrea...

Convert English language document to Hindi
Is there any software available to convert an English language text document to Hindi language document by using dictionary based translation (not transliteration). For example: The sentence : My name is Joseph Should be converted to : ???? ??? ????? ?? ...

Converting Hours an minutes just into minutes #2
Is thier a formula to use to change hous and minutes, just into minutes ex: 01:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes) into 90 minutes. And how do you format the cells. Thank you Select the cell and change the format to: [m] -- Gary's Student "Six Sigma Blackbelt" wrote: > Is thier a formula to use to change hous and minutes, just into minutes ex: > 01:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes) into 90 minutes. And how do you format the > cells. > > Thank you ...

DECIMAL v DOUBLE
I'm pretty new to SQL and am a little confused as to which field type I should use to store my 'currency' type data. What's the main difference between these two data types and which would best fit the purpose? I want to store signed numerical data with up to 6 decimal places. Thanks in advance for any help. DECIMAL is an exact numeric, whereas DOUBLE is approximate - which means that whilst you can store e.g. 1.234567 in a decimal and it's equal to 1.234567, for a double this may be stored as 1.23456699999999. Doubles can cause grief with compari...

converting chart to spreadsheet?
how can i revert back to my spreadsheet from a chart? thanks You mean you have a chart but don't have the data it was created from? This article in the Microsoft knowledge base describes a macro that will extract data from a chart. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137016 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "excel chart" <excel chart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E415558-89B6-457B-A340-2A8CE2BA5521@microsoft.com... > how can i revert back to my s...

graphics converter not working
I am using Publisher 2000 to create a newsletter. It has been going well but now that I'm ready to insert pictures from files, it won't work. I get the message saying that Publisher can't convert this picture (it's either that it doesn't recognize the format or there was an error installing the graphics converter and to go to to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Highlight the Publisher program and choose "Change". When prompted, choose "Add Features". Then be sure to select to run ALL from your computer so that everything is...

Removing decimal on Excel 97 from the Currency Column
I have a spreadsheet and I need to re-format the currency that now contains decimals example 133.50 and I need it to show 13350 (no decimals). I have tried everything and I cannot get the rid of the decimal. Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thanks! You can use a help column and a formula =--SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1,"0.00"),".","") or edit>replace and replace . with nothing of course it will return 1335 instead or 13350 which the formula will return -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussi...

Convert VC6.0 CString::Init() code to VC7.1.
How to convert the following code to VC7.1? // Need to declare a descendant of CString to allow access to the Init() member class CStackString : public CString { public: CStackString & operator=(CString const &s); CStackString & operator=(CStackString const &s); using CString::Init; // Make public }; inline CStackString & CStackString::operator=(CString const &s) { CString::operator=(s); return *this; } inline CStackString & CStackString::operator=(CStackString const &s) { CString::operator=(s); return *this; } class CStackValue...

Converting Lotus 123 to Excel
Hi there Is there a staightforward way of converting Lotus 123 worksheets to Excel 2000 without using any third Party Apps and without losing any of the Formula functionality from 123 ? "Paul Duane" <paul.duane@leaseplan.ie> wrote... >Is there a staightforward way of converting Lotus 123 >worksheets to Excel 2000 without using any third Party >Apps and without losing any of the Formula functionality >from 123 ? ..123 files? There are only 3 pieces of software that do anything with them: Lotus 123 itself (32-bit versions), Quattro Pro 10, and DataViz's Conv...

converters
a few years ago I did all my proposals in Apple. Now I want to retrieve some of the data using my Dell and Windows tells me the Apple 31/2 floppy is not formatted! anyone know of a conveter so I can open these floppies? thanks Can u not open these up with a (borrowed, hired or purchased) Apple then eMail / upload those files over the Internet to whatever you need? Hany "WOT231" <jkcorrie@mts.net> wrote in message news:148001c37f19$39d44b30$a001280a@phx.gbl... > a few years ago I did all my proposals in Apple. Now I > want to retrieve some of the data using my Del...