Convert Text Entry to Date Format

Hello

We were sent  a large spreadsheet with hundreds of dates entered as text in
this format: 04151985.  Each entry has the green triangle in the upper left
corner of the cells designating the data as text.

We need to change the format to 04/15/1985.

I have tried DateValue with no luck.  I get a "#value" error

I have also tried converting the text to a number first and then formating
as a date using "format/cells" but I only get a string of pound signs ####.

Please help.

Thanks
Art
0
User (141)

Sorry, I just read some of the archived postings and figured out the
solution.  "Data/Text to Columns" worked perfectly.

cheers

"User" wrote:

> Hello
>
> We were sent  a large spreadsheet with hundreds of dates entered as text in
> this format: 04151985.  Each entry has the green triangle in the upper left
> corner of the cells designating the data as text.
>
> We need to change the format to 04/15/1985.
>
> I have tried DateValue with no luck.  I get a "#value" error
>
> I have also tried converting the text to a number first and then formating
> as a date using "format/cells" but I only get a string of pound signs ####.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks
> Art
0
User (141)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

CHm file format
Hello, I have seen your's reference on code project. I am new to CHM format and i need to create a CHM viewer. I have some queries regarding the same a) what is binary TOC and binary index ( I have been able to parse the HHc and HHk fie). How i should parse the same b) What are merged files. How i can read them c) How how CHI, CHw and CHQ files can be created. How reading of these files will be different form the reading CHM file. Please help me out by answering my queries. Thanks, Ritu ...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Cell Formats (like StyleSheets)

diagonal text
HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:06:07 +0100, SCOTT wrote (in article <8844C60C-FD08-4FB5-B289-D530CAA285DA@microsoft.com>): > HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your posts very hard to read. Please explain what it is you're attempting to accomplish and your Publisher version. By the way, questions end with question marks (?). What version of Publisher are you using? In 2000, arrange, rotate or flip, custom rotate, input your n...

Convert Access97 to 2000

change case of text #2
Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a way to change this data to "PROPER" throughout the entire worksheet? Thank you Gloria Anderson at Habitat for Humanity of Key West and the Lower Florida Keys =proper(range) will do the trick Mike "habikeys" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017801c39f21$a016ece0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that > had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a > way to c...

Outbox displays Received Date
Need some help on this one. I'm using Outlook 2000 on a Windows XP machine and for some odd reason the Outbox now displays the "Received" date and the Inbox displays the "Sent" date. How do i correct this. It seems to be hidden in the PST file because when I login on a different machine it shows the same thing. Right click on the column headers and choose the "Field Chooser". Drag the field you want to see from the Field Chooser into the column headers area. Drag column headers you don't want to see away from the column headers. "Lee" ...

Add help text to a form field?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I'd like to give people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I tried &quot;adding help text,&quot; but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong? What you're using appears in the Status Bar when the field is accessed. Unless people know to look there it does practically no good. IMHO it's more effective to include instructional text as default content for the field or provide explicit labeling in an adjacent table c...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Importing text from an Explorer window
Howdy all. OS: XP, Excel 2002 SP3 I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of this information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select All" from the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and not the text. Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway. Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just text, and then copy that info into a spreadsheet? TIA. -- Don Cox Here is one I have used...

Invoice Due Date #2
Hello, I'm using Money Small Business 2006 and need some help. How can I specify the due date on a invoice? It seems to automatically use the date that the invoice is created on. All help appreciated. Thank you. > How can I specify the due date on a invoice? It seems to automatically > use the date that the invoice is created on. Below the Line Item table there is a link "To add or edit billing and shipping addresses, notes, or other information, go to the Invoice Details". Click that link and you can specify the Payment Terms. I don't see where to specify a cet...

Change color of row (Col A thru Col Q) based on text value in Col J
I am using David McRitchie's code for changing color of entire row based on contents based on a specified cell text value: 'Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36'. This works fine; however, I only want to change color in the first 17 cells in each of the affected rows. How do I do this? Also, I am confused: do I want the stmt 'Application.EnableEvents = True' at the top of my coding in the 'Worksheet_Change' event coding (occupies the Sheet1 Module)? One way: Target.EntireRow.resize(1,17).Interior.ColorIndex = 36 JingleRock wrote: > > I...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Convert

Longest Entry in Columns
Hi. What is the best / quickest way to find the longest entry (most characters / numbers, etc.) in a column? Thanks. Hi! This array formula entered with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER will tell you how long the longest entry is in a range of cells: =MAX(LEN(A1:A100)) If you want to identify that entry, you could use conditional formatting: Select the range A1:A100 Goto Format>Conditional Formatting Formula is: =LEN(A1)=MAX(LEN(A$1:A$100)) Click the Format button and select a background fill color OK out Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hi. What is the best / quickest...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Numbers converting to decimal

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money

format of number keeps changing
I have an excel spreadsheet and in 2 of the columns i have a list of numbers, the format of the cells for each column are the same but on the second column when i type in a number and hit enter to go to the cell below it changes the digit at the end of the number to a zero, for example if i put in 12345 when i hit enter it changes to 12340, this doesnt happen on the column beside it even thought the formatting of the numbers for each cell in both columns is the same. Any ideas????? Is the number more like 1234567890123456 and it becomes 1234567890123450 ?? If so, you're ...