convert number to text #4

How can i convert a number to text format without then editing that cell to
force the cell to except the format change.
I need a numbers to convert to text because a download from another program
is already in text format with SS# in the cell. Then using at templet sheet
with a VLook Up formula to pull information off the first workbook.

0
RayG (15)

To convert number to text, select the area you want to convert, right-click
on format cells and choose "text".

"RayG" wrote:

> How can i convert a number to text format without then editing that cell to
> force the cell to except the format change.
> I need a numbers to convert to text because a download from another program
> is already in text format with SS# in the cell. Then using at templet sheet
> with a VLook Up formula to pull information off the first workbook.

0
Ester (2)
10/27/2004 12:11:03 PM
Ester,
That is true, and the formating will say that it is text but you must edit
(double click) in each cell before it will except the change to text. I'm
looking for a way to change a group of cells in pop without have to edit
(double click) in each and every cell.

"Ester" wrote:

> To convert number to text, select the area you want to convert, right-click
> on format cells and choose "text".
>
> "RayG" wrote:
>
> > How can i convert a number to text format without then editing that cell to
> > force the cell to except the format change.
> > I need a numbers to convert to text because a download from another program
> > is already in text format with SS# in the cell. Then using at templet sheet
> > with a VLook Up formula to pull information off the first workbook.

0
RayG (15)
10/27/2004 12:21:04 PM
Hi
you may try the following formula in a helper column
=TEXT(A1,"0")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"RayG" <RayG@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> How can i convert a number to text format without then editing that
cell to
> force the cell to except the format change.
> I need a numbers to convert to text because a download from another
program
> is already in text format with SS# in the cell. Then using at templet
sheet
> with a VLook Up formula to pull information off the first workbook.

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/27/2004 12:30:29 PM
You might select the range of data and run this macro:

Sub a()
    Dim Cell As Range
    Dim OldVal As String
    For Each Cell In Selection
        OldVal = Cell.Value
        Cell.Value = OldVal
    Next
End Sub

Doing Cell.Value = Cell.Value directly doesn't seem to work.  This assumes
the range has the Text number format.
--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

"RayG" <RayG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Ester,
| That is true, and the formating will say that it is text but you must edit
| (double click) in each cell before it will except the change to text. I'm
| looking for a way to change a group of cells in pop without have to edit
| (double click) in each and every cell.
|
| "Ester" wrote:
|
| > To convert number to text, select the area you want to convert,
right-click
| > on format cells and choose "text".
| >
| > "RayG" wrote:
| >
| > > How can i convert a number to text format without then editing that
cell to
| > > force the cell to except the format change.
| > > I need a numbers to convert to text because a download from another
program
| > > is already in text format with SS# in the cell. Then using at templet
sheet
| > > with a VLook Up formula to pull information off the first workbook.

0
jrrech (1933)
10/27/2004 12:41:49 PM
Frank,
I thought this was the right answer, but there was just on thing. Some SS#'s
start with the number 0 and during this formula process the 0 (zero) is left
off. Any other ideas?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> you may try the following formula in a helper column
> =TEXT(A1,"0")
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "RayG" <RayG@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > How can i convert a number to text format without then editing that
> cell to
> > force the cell to except the format change.
> > I need a numbers to convert to text because a download from another
> program
> > is already in text format with SS# in the cell. Then using at templet
> sheet
> > with a VLook Up formula to pull information off the first workbook.

0
RayG (15)
10/27/2004 1:43:11 PM
Jim Rech,
I have know idea where to start to write this macro.

Column A1 : A600 is what I need to convert.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

> You might select the range of data and run this macro:
>
> Sub a()
>     Dim Cell As Range
>     Dim OldVal As String
>     For Each Cell In Selection
>         OldVal = Cell.Value
>         Cell.Value = OldVal
>     Next
> End Sub
>
> Doing Cell.Value = Cell.Value directly doesn't seem to work.  This assumes
> the range has the Text number format.
> --
> Jim Rech
> Excel MVP
>
> "RayG" <RayG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Ester,
> | That is true, and the formating will say that it is text but you must edit
> | (double click) in each cell before it will except the change to text. I'm
> | looking for a way to change a group of cells in pop without have to edit
> | (double click) in each and every cell.
> |
> | "Ester" wrote:
> |
> | > To convert number to text, select the area you want to convert,
> right-click
> | > on format cells and choose "text".

> cell to
> program
> sheet

0
RayG (15)
10/27/2004 1:47:02 PM
Hi
if they all have the same amount of digits try:
=TEXT(A1,"00000")
use as many zeros as required

--

> Frank,
> I thought this was the right answer, but there was just on thing.
Some SS#'s
> start with the number 0 and during this formula process the 0 (zero)
is left
> off. Any other ideas?
>
> "Frank Kabel" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > you may try the following formula in a helper column
> > =TEXT(A1,"0")
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Frank Kabel
> > Frankfurt, Germany
> >
> > "RayG" <RayG@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > How can i convert a number to text format without then editing
that
> > cell to
> > > force the cell to except the format change.
> > > I need a numbers to convert to text because a download from
another
> > program
> > > is already in text format with SS# in the cell. Then using at
templet
> > sheet
> > > with a VLook Up formula to pull information off the first
workbook.

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Duplicate Messages #4
I've suddenly started receiving duplicate messages from one of the listservs to which I subscribe. I have rules set up on Outlook 2000 to send messages from the group to a particular folder. Now one copy goes there and a second copy turns up in my general Inbox. Other subscribers are not receiving doubles, so the problem seems to be at my end. Any idea what could cause this? ...

Week Number
Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? MTIA Elwyn I've never used this function but I think this would work, perhaps someone else would comment, =WEEKNUM(E1-90) Regards, Alan. "elwyn" <elwyn.meredith@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:IY2dnTDiIIjC30zUnZ2dnUVZ8h-dnZ2d@bt.com... > Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week > 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? > > MTIA > > Elwyn ...

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

CRM 4.0 Database Move/Migration issue
Hi, I have a test CRM 4.0 enrivonment that I've built up and being evaluating and also migrating data to from our previous CRM database. I have now installed our production CRM 4.0 environment and created a new organisation. This blank installation worked fine. I then wanted to migrate the data from our test environment into the live environment. So I thought I'd try the Data Migration tool from Microsoft. This didn't work. It just pointed the entry in the MSCRM_Config.organization record to the content database on the test server. So, I tried backing up the 2 databases from ...

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

publisher: 4 Millions Domains data with Category
Successfull Internet and Direct Marketing products on www.promotionsite.net * NEW * DOMUS Domains Toolkit Fall 2004 - Unique on the Net 4 Millions "Whois" Domains data with Expiration Date and Category*. Ultimate Version (October 2004) - Our best rate starts from US *$149*. A wonderful tool for Internet and Direct Marketing. Available in Basic, Advanced and Full Editions. It contains a domain database with 4 millions *FRESH* October 2004 New records .com, .net, .org. 4 Gigabytes MS Excel data zipped on CD-Roms/Dvd. Compression 3:1. MS Excel or Text tab del...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

reconcile #4
I imported my checking account from another program. All imported transactions show as unreconciled. I would like to globally change all my transactions (about 2100) to reconciled. Is there any way to do this without having to reconcile each one individually? In microsoft.public.money, Michael Israel wrote: >I imported my checking account from another program. All imported >transactions show as unreconciled. I would like to globally change all my >transactions (about 2100) to reconciled. Is there any way to do this >without having to reconcile each one individually? If you...

diagonal text
HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:06:07 +0100, SCOTT wrote (in article <8844C60C-FD08-4FB5-B289-D530CAA285DA@microsoft.com>): > HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your posts very hard to read. Please explain what it is you're attempting to accomplish and your Publisher version. By the way, questions end with question marks (?). What version of Publisher are you using? In 2000, arrange, rotate or flip, custom rotate, input your n...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Macro Question #4
Private Sub N17_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Worksheets("Imperial Form").Range("N17") = " " Then MsgBox "No need to calculate the customer's upcharge (this is done automatically), but you will need to do the necessaey panel additions/deletions yourself" End If End Sub I need to know what to put in between the " " marks. i Want the message box to appear no matter what value (or text) is entered in N17. So, I need to know what the symbol (or whatever) is for "any" value. Thanks. The below code will work Priva...

Page Numbers in Publisher 2000
I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page umbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. Instead my page #10 is labeled page #1. Can anyone help and let me know if this is possible with this software? Thanks. -- Kay -- Kay Correction "Kay" wrote: > I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page numbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. > Instead my page #10 is labeled page #10. Can anyone help and let me know if > this is possibl...

Add help text to a form field?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I'd like to give people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I tried &quot;adding help text,&quot; but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong? What you're using appears in the Status Bar when the field is accessed. Unless people know to look there it does practically no good. IMHO it's more effective to include instructional text as default content for the field or provide explicit labeling in an adjacent table c...

change case of text #2
Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a way to change this data to "PROPER" throughout the entire worksheet? Thank you Gloria Anderson at Habitat for Humanity of Key West and the Lower Florida Keys =proper(range) will do the trick Mike "habikeys" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017801c39f21$a016ece0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that > had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a > way to c...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

XML Note convert to DataSet

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Convert

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Number of hrs worked in a week, based on dates in a different column
Hi. I'm hoping someone will give this a try. I'd like to enter a function into each cell in column D so that the total hours worked for the previous week appears each Sunday. For instance, cell D6 would display 11, the sum of C2:C6 (note this is a short week). Cell D20 would display 22.5, the sum of C7:C20. On some days, no work at all is performed, but on other days multiple tasks are performed. The only cells in column D that should display a value are the Sunday's... all other cells should display nothing. Thanks very much for your help!! Gregg. ...

Numbers converting to decimal

max number of fields on a form (new question)
I am creating a database based on a paper form. The paper form has over 360 individual pieces of information, all of which are recorded for research purposes. My boss would like me to create a replica electronic form based on the paper form, but access only allows 255 fields on one form. Other than subforms, is there any other way to get around this? I have my data organized into related tables, but every field from each table needs to be on the form. Any suggestions? The limit of 255 is not the form. Forms have a lifetime limit of 754 controls. That means that if you delete a control the...