Convert multiple XLS files to TXT

I need to convert hundreds of XLS files to TXT.  I am aware of File/Save-as
and I also tried written a macro.  Neither solution is workable even the
number of files I have to convert.  Does Excel have a mass convert utility?
0
finao (1)

One possibility is to loop through all the files and convert the extension
from .xls to .txt. Try:

Sub ChangeXLStoTXT()
'Based on some old code from me
'with modifications from Dave Peterson
Dim MyFolder As String
Dim NewName As String
Dim i As Long
MyFolder = "C:\Program Files\ztest" '<----Change
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With Application.FileSearch
    .NewSearch
    .LookIn = MyFolder
    .SearchSubFolders = False
    .Filename = "*.xls"
    .FileType = msoFileTypeAllFiles
    If .Execute() > 0 Then
        For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
            NewName = Left(.FoundFiles(i), _
                        Len(.FoundFiles(i)) - 4) & ".txt"
            Set Wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=.FoundFiles(i))
            With Wkbk
                Application.DisplayAlerts = False
                    .SaveAs Filename:=NewName
                Application.DisplayAlerts = True
                    .Close savechanges:=False
            End With
        Next
    Else
        MsgBox "There were no files found."
        Exit Sub
    End If
End With
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

---
HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

"finao" wrote:

> I need to convert hundreds of XLS files to TXT.  I am aware of File/Save-as
> and I also tried written a macro.  Neither solution is workable even the
> number of files I have to convert.  Does Excel have a mass convert utility?
0
jasonjmorin (551)
6/8/2005 2:03:02 PM
The last file conversion utility Excel included was in Excel 97, as far as I
know:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;161325

I don't know what formats it offered.  If you cannot get this you might
revisit your macro as a macro can do this sort of thing quite easily.

--
Jim
"finao" <finao@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I need to convert hundreds of XLS files to TXT.  I am aware of File/Save-as
| and I also tried written a macro.  Neither solution is workable even the
| number of files I have to convert.  Does Excel have a mass convert
utility?

0
jrrech (1933)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

View multiple user exchange attributes.
Is there ANYWHERE that I am able to view a report or something that will show me... The users name and if any radio buttons are selected in User\Properties\Exchange General\Delivery Restrictions\Message Restrictions If anyone has the answer, I would greatly appreciate it. I have tried a bit of LDAP but I get lost really quick after the cn\ I have searched around for Exchange reporting tools, but they are mostly concerned with throughput and sizes of mailboxes. Anyway, thanks for the help. ...

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Multiple inputs one output
What could I use to enable one cell to have a value that is controlled by multiple options, but only one of them will be filled in but will vary each time. For instance, A1,A2,A3 are amounts of something that will be filled in and variable. Only one will be entered. I need the amount in A1,A2,or A3 to then be entered into G12 on another worksheet. Thanks for any help. Quick and dirty method (Assumes that one one of the three fields will have input, otherwise it will show all of the data entered) In cell G12 enter =VALUE(A1&B1&C1) if it is going to be text then enter =(A1&B...

How do I bring up a file that I saved as an Excel file?
I am taking classes and have to do work on Excel and was wondering why when I save them I can't retrieve them? I can see the file names but am not able to retrieve them I am inexperienced on Office. Hi open excel, choose file & open, locate your files, click on the one you want to open and press the Open button. however, if the files that you want to open are on a floppy disk then it is a VERY good idea to copy them onto your hard drive before opening them. This is best achieved using windows explorer. to do this: right mouse click on the start button choose explore ensure the flo...

CHm file format
Hello, I have seen your's reference on code project. I am new to CHM format and i need to create a CHM viewer. I have some queries regarding the same a) what is binary TOC and binary index ( I have been able to parse the HHc and HHk fie). How i should parse the same b) What are merged files. How i can read them c) How how CHI, CHw and CHQ files can be created. How reading of these files will be different form the reading CHM file. Please help me out by answering my queries. Thanks, Ritu ...

Attach file vs insert file
I have a user who is trying to attach a file to an email (Exchange 2003 SP2, Outlook 2003) using the paperclip icon. Instead of attaching to the email (adding an Attach: line under the Subject line) Outlook is inserting the file into the body of the email. Any suggestions? TOP wrote: > I have a user who is trying to attach a file to an email (Exchange 2003 SP2, > Outlook 2003) using the paperclip icon. Instead of attaching to the email > (adding an Attach: line under the Subject line) Outlook is inserting the > file into the body of the email. > > Any suggestions?...

Creating multiple sheets with a macro
I have run into an issue where i want to be able to create multiple "Resource Plans" sheet with a macro but to have them created as needed so to speak. I am trying to create a macro that can be used to see if a sheet called "Resource Plans" exists. The once it is verified then create an additional sheet called "Resource Plans-1". Also, I want to it to only add a planned sheet each time you run the macro but each time to go up one count numerically within the name of the sheet (i.e. Resource Plans-1, Resource Plans-2, etc.) I would like to be able to do this for...

Importing Multiple contacts to a master account
I'm trying to get the new microsoft CRM to group multiple contacts under 1 key account. For example: I have 10 contacts for Nokia and I want to put them all under Nokia. Instead, when I export my excel file to the crm it turns all the contacts into there own master files, unconnected. Is there a way to import the files and have them sync up under the proper master account? MS has provided a data migration framework that you can use to do this. "Brian B." <bbrunson@gpcreative.com> wrote in message news:0a7501c34c6f$2644cdb0$a501280a@phx.gbl... I'm trying to ge...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Cannot double click an excel file and open it.
Hi When I double click an excel file, the excel application opens with a grey screen. If I drag the file onto the grey screen it opens fine. If I double click an excel attachement the excel screen opens grey and I get a message box saying The system cannot find the file specified. If I drag an excel file into the outlook inbox and then double click on it, it launches as it would normaly. I have un associated and re associated the file with Excel. I have checked the selections under the window menu in Excel, but unhide is greyed out, indicating that excel has opened, but not loaded the fil...

shade one cell that will shade multiple cells
I want to shade one cell that would go into other cell by it's self Not easy to do. You will require custom VBA code to do that. Are you Ok with macros? -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Walt" wrote: > I want to shade one cell that would go into other cell by it's self > ...

Multiple views
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C6009D.94D684F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Some on went me a file to modify and every time I open it, it opens it = up three times, i.e., with 3 views, xls:1, xls:2, and xls:3. I forget = why people do this, but how do I get rid of it. Thanks Dean ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C6009D.94D684F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Tr...

Files Publisher cannot open.
After creating files in Publisher 2003, most will not open. I get the message"Publisher cannot open this file". ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=cbbcbdd8-ef0a-412a-9a74-65ca4bb16...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

XML Note convert to DataSet

Convert

How to access vrge file
I work at a law firm and need to review a number of vrge files. Are vrge file individual email files or are they the equivalent of a pst file which is a collection of emails, calendar, contacts, etc? We don't use Macs so we need the ability to view on a PC if possible. If that is NOT possible we can borrow a Mac. What is the best way to be able to view these vrge files on any platform? Thanks, Tom On 2/12/10 8:35 AM, in article FF3C8F86-C268-4129-96D3-693FD6F511CB@microsoft.com, "SoxFaninVA" <tjubb@hot.mail.spam.com> wrote: > I work at a law f...

Can I import a windows explorer list of files into an Excel sprea.
I was wondering if it is possible to import the list of files within a particular folder that one sees when using Windows Explorer, into an Excel spreadsheet? I am using WinXP and Office2003. modify to suit Sub GetFileList() Dim iCtr As Integer With Application.FileSearch .NewSearch .LookIn = "c:\aa" .SearchSubFolders = True .Filename = ".xls" If .Execute > 0 Then For iCtr = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count Cells(iCtr, 1).Value = .FoundFiles(iCtr) Next iCtr End If End With End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281....

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Numbers converting to decimal