Convert decimal degree (lattitude/longitude) into Degree,

Need formulae to convert decimal degree (lattitude/longitude) into Degree, 
Minutes, Seconds format.

I have the following:
Lattitude data of 0.1741463938 and to convert to decimal degrees, I muliply 
by 180 which gives me decimal degrees of 31.3463508840.  Now I need to 
convert to a Degree, Minute, Seconds format (N34* 50' 56.04").  Note: the '*' 
represents the 'degree' symbol - did not know how to display the symbol.  
Need to also display whether 'N' (North) or 'S' (South) based on actual 
coordinate.

For Longitude, I have data of -0.4758427618 *180 = -85.6516971240 (decimal 
degrees) and need to also convert to Degree, Minute, Seconds format (W16* 40' 
23.54").  Note: the '*' represents the 'degree' symbol - did not know how to 
display the symbol.  Need to also display whether 'W' (West) or 'E' (East) 
based on actual coordinate.

The formulae needed will take the original lat/long data, multiplied by 180, 
and then ???? applied to deliver the data in Degrees, Minutes, Seconds format.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Tim







0
TimAshcom (8)
8/17/2005 1:24:01 AM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

5 Replies
427 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 14

Look at

    http://cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm


In article <CF2EDF0D-B18C-4C27-8655-11A905671020@microsoft.com>,
 "Tim Ashcom" <TimAshcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Need formulae to convert decimal degree (lattitude/longitude) into Degree, 
> Minutes, Seconds format.
> 
> I have the following:
> Lattitude data of 0.1741463938 and to convert to decimal degrees, I muliply 
> by 180 which gives me decimal degrees of 31.3463508840.  Now I need to 
> convert to a Degree, Minute, Seconds format (N34* 50' 56.04").  Note: the '*' 
> represents the 'degree' symbol - did not know how to display the symbol.  
> Need to also display whether 'N' (North) or 'S' (South) based on actual 
> coordinate.
> 
> For Longitude, I have data of -0.4758427618 *180 = -85.6516971240 (decimal 
> degrees) and need to also convert to Degree, Minute, Seconds format (W16* 40' 
> 23.54").  Note: the '*' represents the 'degree' symbol - did not know how to 
> display the symbol.  Need to also display whether 'W' (West) or 'E' (East) 
> based on actual coordinate.
> 
> The formulae needed will take the original lat/long data, multiplied by 180, 
> and then ???? applied to deliver the data in Degrees, Minutes, Seconds format.
> 
> Thank you very much for your assistance.
> 
> Tim
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
8/17/2005 3:45:57 AM
I did, but not much help for a novice Excel user.  What will help the best is 
an exact formula to do the calculations.

Thanks for any additional assistance.

Tim

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> Look at
> 
>     http://cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm
> 
> 
> In article <CF2EDF0D-B18C-4C27-8655-11A905671020@microsoft.com>,
>  "Tim Ashcom" <TimAshcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> > Need formulae to convert decimal degree (lattitude/longitude) into Degree, 
> > Minutes, Seconds format.
> > 
> > I have the following:
> > Lattitude data of 0.1741463938 and to convert to decimal degrees, I muliply 
> > by 180 which gives me decimal degrees of 31.3463508840.  Now I need to 
> > convert to a Degree, Minute, Seconds format (N34* 50' 56.04").  Note: the '*' 
> > represents the 'degree' symbol - did not know how to display the symbol.  
> > Need to also display whether 'N' (North) or 'S' (South) based on actual 
> > coordinate.
> > 
> > For Longitude, I have data of -0.4758427618 *180 = -85.6516971240 (decimal 
> > degrees) and need to also convert to Degree, Minute, Seconds format (W16* 40' 
> > 23.54").  Note: the '*' represents the 'degree' symbol - did not know how to 
> > display the symbol.  Need to also display whether 'W' (West) or 'E' (East) 
> > based on actual coordinate.
> > 
> > The formulae needed will take the original lat/long data, multiplied by 180, 
> > and then ???? applied to deliver the data in Degrees, Minutes, Seconds format.
> > 
> > Thank you very much for your assistance.
> > 
> > Tim
> 
0
TimAshcom (8)
8/17/2005 5:14:04 AM
I don't understand your calculations

How are you going from decimal degrees of 31.3463508840 to N34* 50' 
56.04"?? Where are the extra degrees coming from?

Seems to me that 31.3+ decimal degrees should yield a DMS of 

    31°20'46.86"




In article <F0D9F392-C4DA-450E-AE53-B871969B031F@microsoft.com>,
 "Tim Ashcom" <TimAshcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I did, but not much help for a novice Excel user.  What will help the best is 
> an exact formula to do the calculations.
> 
> Thanks for any additional assistance.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
8/17/2005 11:59:40 AM
JE,

The original data comes from a Flight Data Recorder parameter.  We have to 
multiply the data by 180 to convert to a decimal degree format.  Now what I 
need is to know how to convert from decimal degree (dd) to degrees, minutes, 
and seconds (dd mm' ss").

Thanks,

Tim

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> I don't understand your calculations
> 
> How are you going from decimal degrees of 31.3463508840 to N34* 50' 
> 56.04"?? Where are the extra degrees coming from?
> 
> Seems to me that 31.3+ decimal degrees should yield a DMS of 
> 
>     31°20'46.86"
> 
> 
> 
> 
> In article <F0D9F392-C4DA-450E-AE53-B871969B031F@microsoft.com>,
>  "Tim Ashcom" <TimAshcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> > I did, but not much help for a novice Excel user.  What will help the best is 
> > an exact formula to do the calculations.
> > 
> > Thanks for any additional assistance.
> 
0
TimAshcom (8)
8/17/2005 1:52:02 PM
That's fine, but there's no way 31.3463508840 decimal degrees converts 
to N34°50' 56.04" without adding or multiplying by another factor. 

31 decimal degrees will convert to 31 degrees in DMS format, too.

Again, to convert to 31°20' 46.86", just follow Chip's instructions: 
Divide by 24 and format using the custom format [hh]°mm'ss\"



In article <5D4C89A3-0EA5-453E-897D-25A6767A26B5@microsoft.com>,
 "Tim Ashcom" <TimAshcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The original data comes from a Flight Data Recorder parameter.  We have to 
> multiply the data by 180 to convert to a decimal degree format.  Now what I 
> need is to know how to convert from decimal degree (dd) to degrees, minutes, 
> and seconds (dd mm' ss").
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
8/17/2005 3:53:52 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )
I have got the value of user account's lastlogon time. Its type is Int64. This value is stored as a large integer that represents the number of 100 nanosecond intervals since January 1, 1601 (UTC)(Refer to MSDN). I don't know how to convert this value to localTime. The following is my code. ################################################################ DirectoryEntry deUser = new DirectoryEntry(ldappath); DirectorySearcher src = new DirectorySearcher(deUser); src.Filter = "(&(objectClass=user)(SAMAccountName=" + accountNa...

Convert text to time value
I have a series of time values in a 'General' format. They are of the type: 184525 Which is 18:45:25 or 6:45:25 pm. A time which is am would be of the type: 12345 Which is 1:23:45 am. Is there a way to convert those 'General' values to an Excel serial so that I can figure out the difference between two times? I've seen a bunch of examples on the net, but none of those that I have found deal with this format that I can tell. Thanks. Hi try =--TEXT(A1,"00:00:00") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Andy" <amelton@gmail.com> schrieb...

how to convert date
Hi, I'm looking for some method to convert mail date, in format: eg. "Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:57:08 +0200", to computer local time. I tried CTime but without resoults. m. Have you tried COleDateTime::ParseDateTime()? m.wski21.usunto@aust.com wrote: > Hi, > > I'm looking for some method to convert mail date, in format: > eg. "Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:57:08 +0200", to computer local time. > I tried CTime but without resoults. > > m. >I'm looking for some method to convert mail date, in format: >eg. "Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:57:08 +0200&qu...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers
I am downloading an Excel sheet, and the numbers come in as text. It basically comes in as "33 %" but Excel registers this as text, not a percentage. I have a cell that will be used to add the numbers, but since they are text it doesn't work. Given this information, is there a way to convert the imported data into numbers. I would prefer to include this into my formula. The potential numbers are: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 0 %, 25 %, 33 %, 50 %, 67 %, 75 %, 100 %, and N/A I would prefer a function, again if possible, that could convert any number. Please note, the space between the nu...

How do I convert dates to text keeping the format?
I'm trying to convert a column of data in date format *m/d/yyyy to a text format without converting to serial numbers. Ie: I want to retain the mm/dd/yyyy format. Is there a way to do this? =TEXT(A1,"MM/DD"/YYYY") "sprlarry" <sprlarry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69669AA6-FD15-47D7-843D-FC768728BF7A@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to convert a column of data in date format *m/d/yyyy to a text > format without converting to serial numbers. Ie: I want to retain the > mm/dd/yyyy format. Is there a way to do this? That ...

how to convert excel's .cvf file to .csv file
...

Convert Access97 to 2000
Hello, we're currently running access97 and would like to convert it to 2000, but we don't know what is the administrator password for this database. Also this database is running on multi user and have difference permission for diffence users. Could someone help me how to do make this happen but keep the currently permission retaint. Thanks ...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page
Greetings, When I convert my calendar for 2005 to a webpage, the page is off by 1 day. Is there a template or fix available to fix this? Thanks, Duane I can edit the html file but this should not be the case. Fixes? Suggestions...other than use Apple? "Duane Perry" <dlp_sr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:yZRtd.5561$0r.1710@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net... > Greetings, > > When I convert my calendar for 2005 to a webpage, the page is off by 1 day. > Is there a template or fix available to fix this? > > Thanks, > > Duane > > Duane, ...

XML Note convert to DataSet
Hello, I have this function: object acmResponse = acmLogin.acmString("4001", "", paramFormLogin + paramUserBasics);System.Xml.XmlNode[] acmNodes = (System.Xml.XmlNode[])acmResponse; What I have todo, to convert the XML Object in the DataSet Object? Thank you Matthias ...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005
My Quicken files are mostly investment related, and generally converted fine. However all bonds (regular and muni's) converted as Investment type: Mutual Fund, not Bond. (1) How do I prevent that, (2) How do you change the Investment Type for an item? Thank you. In microsoft.public.money, Mike wrote: >My Quicken files are mostly investment related, and generally >converted fine. However all bonds (regular and muni's) converted as >Investment type: Mutual Fund, not Bond. (1) How do I prevent that, (2) Money typically converts custom data types from Quicken into funds. I thou...

Convert
Is it possible to convert a Money file created in the USA version to that of the UK version? Thanks in advance The general way is QIF Export then Import. It's involved and has limitations like loan accounts don't QIF. See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q1. "Crispy" <nowayspammers@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uQKSfzfyDHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to convert a Money file created in the USA version to that of > the UK version? ...

Numbers converting to decimal
I a trying to figure out why when I type 11 and automatically converts it to .11, if I type 11. it will stay 11,if I change all the cells to text then back to number they willstay. I have checked the formatting of the cells, it even happens when I open a brand new worksheet. Any ideas? Thanks Dawn Hi Dawn, Tools>Option>Edit, uncheck Fixed Decimal -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "DawnP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c3cf01c48a05$d75359d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I a trying to figure out why when I type 11 and &...

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money
Quicken 2004 has many bugs, and I have had it. The most recent being that it doesn't work AT ALL now that it is the year 2004. I have had to change the date on my computer today to open it. I want to get Money instead, however I do not know if Money can get my data from the 2004 version. Does anybody know for sure? Yes is the answer to the question you posed. No is the answer to the question you are getting to but didn't pose. M04 imports Q03 and earlier. If the past predicts the future M05 will import Q04. "Colin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Converting from AOL to Outlook
Is there an efficient way for me to convert my AOL address book over to Outlook? Before I buy Outlook, I want to be sure I cam make the conversion without loosing the large address book I have on AOL. "Herb Clader" <Herb Clader@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44A9739C-A94F-49AB-BF08-31D78A86CCB7@microsoft.com... > Is there an efficient way for me to convert my AOL address book over to > Outlook? > > Before I buy Outlook, I want to be sure I cam make the conversion without > loosing the large address book I have on AOL. AOL's help p...

Customizing "Convert Campaign Response"
We have created custom Fields in the Campaign Response entity that we would like to populate on the Lead Entity when we do a conversion. However it doesn't seem like this is possible from the Data Map. Is there a way to modify what fields are carried forward during a conversion, or do I need to find a different method? Thank you in advance. Hi, As I had some time left, I tried to figure this one out. To my surprise I can't find ANY direct link between a converted campaign response and a new lead. There is only an indirect link, through the campaign entity. But that does not ...

How do I show degrees in a Pie chart
could any one please help me, i need to display degrees in a pie chart and I have not got a clue how this is done. Hi! A small example: worksheet has, starting in column A, Row 1.......a......b......c.....d Row 2 15...25....49....33 Put in A3 =360*A2/(SUM(A2:D2)) and copy across columns B...D This gives each column its share of 360 degrees Now select A1:D3 and use the chart wizard (button on toolbar or Insert > Chart on the menu) and choose the first, simplest Pie chart offered. This should put a pie chart on your worksheet. Right-click on it and select Source Data and then the ...

Problem with AFX_THREAD_STATE class converting from VS6.0 to VS.NET 2003
I have inherited some code that works in VS6.0. It has code snippets like the following: _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThreadState(); pThreadState->m_nLastHit = 0; and _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThreadState(); CToolTipCtrl* pToolTip = pThreadState->m_pToolTip; It then does things with these values. In VS.NET, there is no member variable in _AFX_THREAD_STATE that corresponds to m_nLastHit or m_pToolTip. Have these been replaced by something similar in VS.NET 2003 that I can use? #if (_MFC_VER < 0x0700) _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThrea...

Convert English language document to Hindi
Is there any software available to convert an English language text document to Hindi language document by using dictionary based translation (not transliteration). For example: The sentence : My name is Joseph Should be converted to : ???? ??? ????? ?? ...

Converting Hours an minutes just into minutes #2
Is thier a formula to use to change hous and minutes, just into minutes ex: 01:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes) into 90 minutes. And how do you format the cells. Thank you Select the cell and change the format to: [m] -- Gary's Student "Six Sigma Blackbelt" wrote: > Is thier a formula to use to change hous and minutes, just into minutes ex: > 01:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes) into 90 minutes. And how do you format the > cells. > > Thank you ...

DECIMAL v DOUBLE
I'm pretty new to SQL and am a little confused as to which field type I should use to store my 'currency' type data. What's the main difference between these two data types and which would best fit the purpose? I want to store signed numerical data with up to 6 decimal places. Thanks in advance for any help. DECIMAL is an exact numeric, whereas DOUBLE is approximate - which means that whilst you can store e.g. 1.234567 in a decimal and it's equal to 1.234567, for a double this may be stored as 1.23456699999999. Doubles can cause grief with compari...

converting chart to spreadsheet?
how can i revert back to my spreadsheet from a chart? thanks You mean you have a chart but don't have the data it was created from? This article in the Microsoft knowledge base describes a macro that will extract data from a chart. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137016 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "excel chart" <excel chart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E415558-89B6-457B-A340-2A8CE2BA5521@microsoft.com... > how can i revert back to my s...

graphics converter not working
I am using Publisher 2000 to create a newsletter. It has been going well but now that I'm ready to insert pictures from files, it won't work. I get the message saying that Publisher can't convert this picture (it's either that it doesn't recognize the format or there was an error installing the graphics converter and to go to to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Highlight the Publisher program and choose "Change". When prompted, choose "Add Features". Then be sure to select to run ALL from your computer so that everything is...

Removing decimal on Excel 97 from the Currency Column
I have a spreadsheet and I need to re-format the currency that now contains decimals example 133.50 and I need it to show 13350 (no decimals). I have tried everything and I cannot get the rid of the decimal. Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thanks! You can use a help column and a formula =--SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1,"0.00"),".","") or edit>replace and replace . with nothing of course it will return 1335 instead or 13350 which the formula will return -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussi...

Convert VC6.0 CString::Init() code to VC7.1.
How to convert the following code to VC7.1? // Need to declare a descendant of CString to allow access to the Init() member class CStackString : public CString { public: CStackString & operator=(CString const &s); CStackString & operator=(CStackString const &s); using CString::Init; // Make public }; inline CStackString & CStackString::operator=(CString const &s) { CString::operator=(s); return *this; } inline CStackString & CStackString::operator=(CStackString const &s) { CString::operator=(s); return *this; } class CStackValue...

Converting Lotus 123 to Excel
Hi there Is there a staightforward way of converting Lotus 123 worksheets to Excel 2000 without using any third Party Apps and without losing any of the Formula functionality from 123 ? "Paul Duane" <paul.duane@leaseplan.ie> wrote... >Is there a staightforward way of converting Lotus 123 >worksheets to Excel 2000 without using any third Party >Apps and without losing any of the Formula functionality >from 123 ? ..123 files? There are only 3 pieces of software that do anything with them: Lotus 123 itself (32-bit versions), Quattro Pro 10, and DataViz's Conv...