Convert dates stored as text

I have Excel 2007 in English, but I sometimes receive data that comes from
another applicationes, so dates are stored as text because they come in
following format: dd/mm/yyyy. And I have the format mm/dd/yyyy.

So, in the same column, I have dates stored as dates, and dates stored as
text. Which is the easiest way to convert them all to date format?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Emece.-

Be careful.

I'd bet that those values that come in as real dates aren't what the original
data represent.

For instance, if you have two values:
25/12/2010
and
01/02/2010

The first will come in as Text since your windows short date format (under
Regional settings in the windows control panel) is in mdy order.

But the second value can come in as a date.  The bad news is that you'll see it
as Jan 2, 2010.  But the original data is really dmy order, so it should be Feb
1, 2010.

I wouldn't just convert the text (non-dates) to dates.

I'd use fresh data from the original source.

And you'll have at least couple of options to make sure you get the correct
dates.

The first is to change your windows short date format setting from mdy order to
dmy order.  You can make this change right before you import the data, do the
import and change the setting back.

Or you could bring all the data in as text and then parse it the way you like.

If you're doing File|open and opening a CSV file, you could rename the .csv file
to .txt and you'll be prompted with a wizard to parse the records.

Make sure you choose date for the field(s) you need and make sure you match the
same order as the data.  You'll be able to reformat the columns to display the
dates the way you like.

--

Dave Peterson
0
Emece;955365 Wrote:
> I have Excel 2007 in English, but I sometimes receive data that comes
> from
> another applicationes, so dates are stored as text because they come in
>
> following format: dd/mm/yyyy. And I have the format mm/dd/yyyy.
>
> So, in the same column, I have dates stored as dates, and dates stored
> as
> text. Which is the easiest way to convert them all to date format?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Emece.-

I would recommed to get the data which fetches from other application
to seperate column and format to mm/dd/yyyy format, then combine. I
think now you will have all the dates in same format

all the best

--
bala_vb
0

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Mailbox store dismounted automatically
Exchange 2003 server/w SP1, Windows 2003 STD with latest patch, Both of Exchange mailbox stores dismounted automatically, with event ID 1159, source: MSExchangeIS Category General tape Error Description: Database error 0xfffffd9a occurred in function JTAB_BASE::EcUpdate while accessing the database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp Click the Microsoft link on the event ID, got the following details: Details Product: Exchange ID: 1159 Source: MSExchangeIS Version: 6.0 Component: Information Store Symb...

a program is trying to acess e-mail address that you have stored in Outlook
ken@reidprogreaphics.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Is there a question here somewhere? -- Brian Tillman ...

Odd date problem
I'm reposting this as this is a very strange problem in Access. I'm using 2003. After my entry is an entry by missinglinq via AccessMonster.com who was able to reproduce the error. Looking forward to comments/fixes. Thanks, Rob I have the following in the DblClick event for the control CaseStart which is a date/time field. The problem is that once the control is double clicked the form remains in edit mode, even though I've told it not be editable. Additionally, when the control is double clicked, it shoudn't enter in the time until the Edit button has been clicked o...

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

diagonal text
HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:06:07 +0100, SCOTT wrote (in article <8844C60C-FD08-4FB5-B289-D530CAA285DA@microsoft.com>): > HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your posts very hard to read. Please explain what it is you're attempting to accomplish and your Publisher version. By the way, questions end with question marks (?). What version of Publisher are you using? In 2000, arrange, rotate or flip, custom rotate, input your n...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Dates not correct
How do I get my DateDif output to reflect the correct 30 days in a month. Im getting 49 days, it should be pulled to the months and 19 days in days. 2 years, 11 months, 49 days See this for examples: http://cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm Biff <belczyk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177357276.085439.98020@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > How do I get my DateDif output to reflect the correct 30 days in a > month. Im getting 49 days, it should be pulled to the months and 19 > days in days. > > > 2 years, 11 months, 49 days > ...

Add help text to a form field?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I'd like to give people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I tried &quot;adding help text,&quot; but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong? What you're using appears in the Status Bar when the field is accessed. Unless people know to look there it does practically no good. IMHO it's more effective to include instructional text as default content for the field or provide explicit labeling in an adjacent table c...

change case of text #2
Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a way to change this data to "PROPER" throughout the entire worksheet? Thank you Gloria Anderson at Habitat for Humanity of Key West and the Lower Florida Keys =proper(range) will do the trick Mike "habikeys" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017801c39f21$a016ece0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that > had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a > way to c...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Outbox displays Received Date
Need some help on this one. I'm using Outlook 2000 on a Windows XP machine and for some odd reason the Outbox now displays the "Received" date and the Inbox displays the "Sent" date. How do i correct this. It seems to be hidden in the PST file because when I login on a different machine it shows the same thing. Right click on the column headers and choose the "Field Chooser". Drag the field you want to see from the Field Chooser into the column headers area. Drag column headers you don't want to see away from the column headers. "Lee" ...

Change color of row (Col A thru Col Q) based on text value in Col J
I am using David McRitchie's code for changing color of entire row based on contents based on a specified cell text value: 'Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36'. This works fine; however, I only want to change color in the first 17 cells in each of the affected rows. How do I do this? Also, I am confused: do I want the stmt 'Application.EnableEvents = True' at the top of my coding in the 'Worksheet_Change' event coding (occupies the Sheet1 Module)? One way: Target.EntireRow.resize(1,17).Interior.ColorIndex = 36 JingleRock wrote: > > I...

Importing text from an Explorer window
Howdy all. OS: XP, Excel 2002 SP3 I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of this information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select All" from the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and not the text. Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway. Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just text, and then copy that info into a spreadsheet? TIA. -- Don Cox Here is one I have used...

Invoice Due Date #2
Hello, I'm using Money Small Business 2006 and need some help. How can I specify the due date on a invoice? It seems to automatically use the date that the invoice is created on. All help appreciated. Thank you. > How can I specify the due date on a invoice? It seems to automatically > use the date that the invoice is created on. Below the Line Item table there is a link "To add or edit billing and shipping addresses, notes, or other information, go to the Invoice Details". Click that link and you can specify the Payment Terms. I don't see where to specify a cet...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

how do i restart a mailbox store?
how do i restart the mailbox store? Is this a service? I only see informaiton store. is this the one? You can dismount and remount an ind. mailbox/public store or stop and start the Information Store which essentially controls all the stores. On 30 Jan 2005 17:38:35 -0800, aaronwhittaker2002@yahoo.com (aaron.whittaker) wrote: >how do i restart the mailbox store? Is this a service? I only see >informaiton store. is this the one? ...

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Convert

Where can I find the stored emails and shared calendar info
I have a client that was setup with exchange 2003 for inter-office email. Well the person that originally set them up used an evaluation copy. I set them up with a legit version of SBS 2003. I want to import their old emails and shared calendar...but I cannot find their old info. I ghosted their old drive so I would not lose anything. Help "Mike Baird" <techsupport@vegasras.com> wrote in news:89d001c48564 $989434d0$a401280a@phx.gbl: > I have a client that was setup with exchange 2003 for > inter-office email. Well the person that originally set > them up use...